• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
If it weren't Pokemon we'd be preemptively calling Let's Go a flop. Not saying I believe it will (it'll certainly make its money back and then some), but being a major entry in a very healthy franchise can only go so far when the product itself doesn't seem to be drawing much interest.

COD has to stop pushing hardware eventually. This is what, the sixth one this gen? Hard to imagine there are many COD fans still holding out for the one that appeals to them specifically.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First real disappointing month for Xbox One in 2018. I think october will be better with the trade-in at Gamestop for Xbox One X.

PS4 did great, Switch a little lower than I was expecting.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main hurdle for Switch moving forward is to break out from that established Nintendo gamer / overall more core gamer.

They are attempting to do that with things like Labo (which wasnt effective) and Pokemon Let's Go (which I'm hoping is going to blow up)

But yeah their sales right now are just consistently solid this year but it hasnt exactly broken out in the way it had looked it was going to in its first year. This holiday will be very important to start expanding that base. Animal Crossing next year will also be a HUGE help.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I'm predicting the top five software chart to be:

Spider-Man
NBA 2K19
Super Mario Party (even with just two days of tracking)
Forza Horizon 4
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Am I forgetting anything else?

:EDIT: Just seen the gap between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this year ~ nearly 900,000! That's almost an extra 90,000 units (for the PlayStation 4) per month.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
The main hurdle for Switch moving forward is to break out from that established Nintendo gamer / overall more core gamer.

They are attempting to do that with things like Labo (which wasnt effective) and Pokemon Let's Go (which I'm hoping is going to blow up)

But yeah their sales right now are just consistently solid this year but it hasnt exactly broken out in the way it had looked it was going to in its first year. This holiday will be very important to start expanding that base. Animal Crossing next year will also be a HUGE help.

2018 has been a boring year for the Switch. The sales are just reflecting it.

Starting from november, things shall start getting better.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I'm predicting the top five software chart to be:

Spider-Man
NBA 2K19
Super Mario Party (even with just two days of tracking)
Forza Horizon 4
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Am I forgetting anything else?

:EDIT: Just seen the gap between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this year ~ nearly 900,000! That's almost an extra 90,000 units (for the PlayStation 4) per month.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey :)

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If it weren't Pokemon we'd be preemptively calling Let's Go a flop. Not saying I believe it will (it'll certainly make its money back and then some), but being a major entry in a very healthy franchise can only go so far when the product itself doesn't seem to be drawing much interest.

COD has to stop pushing hardware eventually. This is what, the sixth one this gen? Hard to imagine there are many COD fans still holding out for the one that appeals to them specifically.

Think some people were counting on the battle royal hype that might have move hardware .

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Assassin's Creed Odyssey :)

Thought it came out just after the cut-off date?

Nope! It was released on Friday the 5th of October, one day before the NPD tracking ended for the month. I guess you could sandwich Assassin's Creed Odyssey between NBA 2K19 and Super Mario Party.

It's a shame that Benji is saying that October has been a rather ho-hum month thus far...

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This is exactly what I have been echoing for the Xbox One for the first half of 2018. The Xbox sold well initially this year thanks to the novelty of the Xbox One X being the newest piece of gaming hardware available coupled with $50 price cuts + other deals every month.

Now that the Xbox One X has been on the market for almost a whole year and MS chose to not focus on price reductions with all the bundles they released (Tomb Raider, NBA 2K, etc.), you get a real look at how Xbox hardware still struggles despite a fantastic year for the brand (new studios, game pass, etc.). This is why I couldn´t fool myself into thinking that it was some massive turnaround when it was still trailing it´s competitors with some heavy moves in quiet months.

I just don´t see how at this rate Xbox sales are going to remain healthy enough to wait on Scarlet launching in 2020 with the honeymoon of the Xbox One X´s newness being over showing what I suspected initially. So Im betting it´s coming a lot sooner than we anticipate.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Thought it came out just after the cut-off date?

Nope! It was released on Friday the 5th of October, one day before the NPD tracking ended for the month. I guess you could sandwich Assassin's Creed Odyssey between NBA 2K19 and Super Mario Party.

It's a shame that Benji is saying that October has been a rather ho-hum month thus far...

There are also those expensive early access editions for AC Odyssey released on Oct 2.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame too because just having PS4 and Sony running the show is not good for us as consumers. We need the competition that the big 3 (and any more if they are brave enough to join the console market) have so that they keep innovating and we can keep pushing them to be pro-consumer.
They're running the show because they are prvoiding the biggest exclusives of the two.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
So i guess july - sept sales for switch is 265+200+ 260= 725k sold through.

Japan is about 600k sales in the same period.
Using the percentages of shipments, it seems that either japan is over performing or NA is underperforming. Either way,
lets put EU inbetween at 660k.
total sold through estimate at like 2M.

Q2 shipments may be about 2.5M to 3M? Seems anout right

Correct me if im wrong about soldthrough NA and JP info.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
If Q2 shipments are 3M for the switch. Switch needs a 10-11M holiday with 4-5M Q4 to get 20M shipments.
yikes

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The silver lining for Let's Go is that the markets that would make that thing explode haven't really been marketed to yet. That's not a product that builds anticipation through a steady drum-beat of trailers, it's one which catches the eyes of the most casual audiences on the shelf or on TV ads.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
September seems to be a great month for PS4 this gen. What game do you think Sony will push next September ? Ghost of tsushima, TLOU2 or Death Stranding ?

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
September seems to be a great month for PS4 this gen. What game do you think Sony will push next September ? Ghost of tsushima, TLOU2 or Death Stranding ?
With Days Gone now releasing in April I would say GoT or DS. No PSX this year, so, it is going to be difficult to predict first party launch dates for the remaining titles.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Are you leaking the results or making a prediction?

LOL... Sorry! I was on my phone when I saw the NPD thread... I thought I could still post a prediction!

giphy.gif

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This is the first month without YOY growth for Xbox huh.

Guess that kind of explains the GameStop deal. I imagine they partnered with them for that.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
if thing slow down to them they will release the next gen at the end of 2019 instead of 2Q of 2020
I'm thinking this too.

And...do Sony release in 2019 also...or will Arrogant Sony return and think they can wait til 2020....lol.

They might actually claim the Arrogant title again if they wait and they don't have to.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking this too.

And...do Sony release in 2019 also...or will Arrogant Sony return and think they can wait til 2020....lol.

They might actually claim the Arrogant title again if they wait and they don't have to.
They can wait until 2020. Nothing arrogant about it. Look at how the PS4 is still performing.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
They will overship if the sell through is not enough. Nintendo ( like Sony in 2016 ) already did that. Don't forget that unlike PS4 Switch will sell a lot in Japan as well.

With Pokemon Let's Go ans Smash Ultimate, the Switch could challenge DS and 3DS number in Novembet and December in Japan. In think that 500K Switch sold in a week is possible in laye December.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
It's a shame too because just having PS4 and Sony running the show is not good for us as consumers. We need the competition that the big 3 (and any more if they are brave enough to join the console market) have so that they keep innovating and we can keep pushing them to be pro-consumer.
exactly. those damn, irresponsible consumers have made completely unbalanced purchase decisions, preferring one console over the others for no specific reasons. those other companies who only take the place of first and second loser are now completely demotivated and depressed. so we cannot count on them for any attempt to innovate or take new approaches.
i just wish every console would sell the same amount and there would be no envy or rivalry, but only happily chilled corporations. because nothing pushes innovation more than satisfaction.

Oct 25, 2017
Software side (physical only), Spiderman came out as the top selling software by a mile
Spidey digital share is fantastic

Both sides covered. Now we just wait for next week. And that WW sales update can come at any time now, Sony.

Mario Party seems to have done surprisingly well. Tomb Raider....well. PS4 flirting with 500K and it had shortages. Spider-Man is one heck of a system seller.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
That's unrealistic for a multiplat game let alone an exclusive.
Maybe but it practically had the whole month and just reading off the snippets it might not be completely out of reach. Just throwing a huge number out there hypothetically. Not saying it has got near that, just wondering if it's at all possible.

How can it sold 4 million in US alone when the game sold 3,3 million in 3 days World Wide? It'll be pure gold to launch at 1 million.

1 month vs 3 days. Spidey will be well over 1m in the States for September.

Last edited:
OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
Wide range of predictions this month. Donny, you ever do standard deviation analysis on the prediction sample to determine variability?

Haven't in the past, but that can be added. (^_^)

ResetERA Aggregate Predictions - Sep-2018

1. PS4 - 386K (stddev: 43K)
2. NSW - 277K (stddev: 33K)
3. XB1 - 209K (stddev: 28K)

Past couple of months, for reference:
Code:
2018-08:
SYS PRED   STDDEV USED_FOR_PRED_RESULTS
--- ------ ------ ---------------------
NSW 231K   28K    205K
PS4 195K   17K    195K
XB1 161K   14K    165K

2018-07:
SYS PRED   STDDEV USED_FOR_PRED_RESULTS
--- ------ ------ ---------------------
NSW 253K   25K    260K
PS4 244K   29K    185K
XB1 178K   23K    150K

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
exactly. those damn, irresponsible consumers have made completely unbalanced purchase decisions, preferring one console over the others for no specific reasons. those other companies who only take the place of first and second loser are now completely demotivated and depressed. so we cannot count on them for any attempt to innovate or take new approaches.
i just wish every console would sell the same amount and there would be no envy or rivalry, but only happily chilled corporations. because nothing pushes innovation more than satisfaction.

Please tell me where I said that it's the consumers fault? It's just good for the consumers if the competition was closer and that's up to the companies to make it closer.

Not really sure what you are trying to achieve with your post tbh.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Please tell me where I said that it's the consumers fault? It's just good for the consumers if the competition was closer and that's up to the companies to make it closer.

Not really sure what you are trying to achieve with your post tbh.
if a close competition aka similar sales numbers is better for the consumers, who else is to blame than those who buy the consoles and generate these sales numbers?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Sometimes I think we should just give you a dedicated thread.