• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I watched a series called Ballers on HBO and more than once it claims the NFL doesn't care about players and breaks them. Is it true or exaggerated? What I see in the news hardly ever mentions that when Superbowl happens I don't hear much about this.

Oct 27, 2017
ESPN's Playmakers was all over this back in the early 2000s. If you can find that series anywhere then I highly recommend watching it, way ahead of its time.
hqdefault.jpg

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Daniel Snyder's Washington football team told a player his tumor was no big deal and then when said player went public with the fact that it was actually malignant (after getting a second opinion) the team now refuses to pay him contract money owed.

So I guess it's up for debate.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's a sport where they know it causes brain damage and CTE, just like boxing, but let it continue. The players should be aware of the risks by now, and they are handsomely paid for the risks, but the whole thing doesn't seems wrong.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a series called Ballers on HBO and more than once it claims the NFL doesn't care about players and breaks them. Is it true or exaggerated? What I see in the news hardly ever mentions that when Superbowl happens I don't hear much about this.

Of course it's true. American football is a fundamentally damaging sport. Causes CTE and other serious injuries. How is this even a question?

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
NFL is a meat grinder. Players come in, play, get a bit of money, leave with CTEs, life-long injuries, and nearly 80% go broke. The teams, owners, and advertisers capture all the upside.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its corrupt on the same level as FIFA. Not even remotely close.

It's not corrupt in the rigging games sense. Refs make stupid mistakes. It can cost games. Doesn't mean its rigged.

The issue with the NFL is twofold
1. Despite being a non profit (lol) they want to continually boost revenue. I believe its actually been falling in the US but I could be mistaken. There is more than enough troubling evidence that shows playing football is just absurdly dangerous from a head injury aspect. Your body will get banged up but CTE is a hell of a thing. To make matters worse, without fundamentally changing the game, CTE is unavoidable. Because its been proven that its not the big hits that cause it. It's the tiny little hits of your helmet hitting other players, the ground etc. The only way to truly remove that would be to essentially turn it into flag football. There are countless of current and former NFL players that say they 100% will not allow their kids to play the sport. The issue here is that a lot of the NFL fanbase fucking LOVES the big hits. They see it as a blood/gladiator sport. Any rules introduced to get certain hits out of the game are always met with "wow the NFL is trying to pussify the game, back in my day you could take peoples heads off, smh"

2. The league is set up in a way that gives owners/the commissioner WAY too much power. It's why there is horrendously inconsistent punishments all of the time. It's why player contracts suck. The commisioner, literally in their collective bargaining agreement, is basically judge jury executioner and can do what he wants.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a shitty league.

You don't hear about it because a combination of $$$ and "It's just sports"

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
what is special about Saints fans?They don't like losing or they win a lot?

A team that lost a Super Bowl appearance by way of a hilariously blatant non-call on a super obvious penalty. In a stroke of weirdness; rather than acknowledge it, people have chosen to mock the rightfully upset fanbase about it in the years following for some odd reason. NFL fans are weird asf.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
First you are better than watching Ballers

second hell yeah it is corrupt as all hell

Oct 27, 2017
The NFL built their current foundations on the backs of generations of underpaided now-broken people. Like most players worked summer jobs and shit to make ends meet while destroying themselves on the field, and the NFL has fought to every extent to deny them benefits after the fact. The players union is still one of the weakest of any major sports league too.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
This is a strictly usa organization, so why would Senate not order investigations for example?I think American senate can "question" incidents?

Because new stadiums every 6 years boosts tourism, even if they have no idea what to do with the old stadiums.

And yes, OP, it's extremely corrupt, the Kaep stuff and how they deal with drug abuse and physical abuse is enough to show that.

Why doesn't anyone step in?

giphy.gif

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There is some truth to the fiction. You don't get to be the most profitable league in the world without breaking a few eggs.

The NFL built their current foundations on the backs of generations of underpaided now-broken people. Like most players worked summer jobs and shit to make ends meet while destroying themselves on the field, and the NFL has fought to every extent to deny them benefits after the fact. The players union is still one of the weakest of any major sports league too.

This is true of every major sport league in the US.

This is a strictly usa organization, so why would Senate not order investigations for example?I think American senate can "question" incidents?

1) They have about a thousand better things to spend their time on.

2) NFL is a huge moneymaker and keeps people sedated on Sundays.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To the degree the show goes out it's way to make that point? It's false.

is there corruption? Yes.

What degrees are you considering here?

Money laundering, use of public funds, large scale lobbying, college football, covering up CTE, .... what more do you want?

It's not FIFA corrupt, but it treats it's players worse than any other league (sans WWE, for which a Wrestler is a disposable commodity).

FIFA doesn't have any CTE level controversies though. NFL has blood on its hands.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The NFL exists so a bunch of rich white dudes can make people dance for them while simultaneously pushing propaganda for the military industrial complex. It is a worthless organization.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
FIFA doesn't have any CTE level controversies though. NFL has blood on its hands.

Tbh, they kinda do along with rugby, its also the reason headers were banned in youth soccer in the US.

Obviously,, it's not as prevalent but it's an issue as CTE research is mainly in the states.

And FIFA has the whole Qatar slavery debacle

SleeperBWG

Dec 18, 2018
So this is a hard question. Is it corrupt... yes. Is it corrupt more than any other sport organization? I dont think so (maybe with CTE issue).

I personally have a much bigger issue with the NCAA and not paying the players while they make MILLIONS off the players.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
it's abhorrent. FIFA is worse but at least FIFA doesn't spend half of its games buying up commercial time advertising what a force of good it is and how much it 'cares'. It's hypocrisy is off the charts

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A team that lost a Super Bowl appearance by way of a hilariously blatant non-call on a super obvious penalty. In a stroke of weirdness; rather than acknowledge it, people have chosen to mock the rightfully upset fanbase about it in the years following for some odd reason. NFL fans are weird asf.
Perhaps because blaming a loss on the refs rather than the team itself is silly.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daniel Snyder's Washington football team told a player his tumor was no big deal and then when said player went public with the fact that it was actually malignant (after getting a second opinion) the team now refuses to pay him contract money owed.

So I guess it's up for debate.

Yeah this is the first thing I thought of

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Last edited: