• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've only been to two movies in the US where there was clapping and both were opening nights and massive blockbusters with crazy fan followings.

Sure laughing, and the occasional asshole small group of friends, but that's different.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I feel like there has to be some meta-joke to this specific thread that I'm missing. Is it just about how there's been a slew of culture shock threads lately?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Brazil

New York

UK

Keep on acting like clapping at a live event or if the creators can hear you is the only reason to clap. That narrative is a bunch of self important horseshit. Fine YOU don't clap at movies but that doesn't mean it's somehow more important when it fits YOUR idea.

Exactly.

Don't know why people want to pretend they don't display emotions or interact socially with others, or make it seem like it's just in the US, as if it was a bad thing.

Makes me think lot of responses come from people with problems relating to others in society.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen it at a film festival, but even then its incredibly weird

Oh I think it also happened at the end of Toy Story 2

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Never have I even heard that someone would clap in a goddamn movie theatre. America continues to be a disgrace.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in America and I've still never seen this theater-clapping phenomenom ERA likes to talk about. Maybe it's a specific region thing? A city thing?

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
In the USA, it's only common with certain kinds of films or broadcasts. I've seen it during superhero action flicks, family musicals (e.g. Frozen), and live opera broadcasts, but no one is applauding during/after a romcom.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
Lmao. I always cringe when people clap in theaters. I went to see Star Wars 7 opening night and people were clapping for the littlest things and I was just *biggest eye roll ever*

giphy.gif

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here, I'll just throw another random bizarre fact into the thread. Here in Michigan there's a smaller chain of theatres called MJR. Every chain has a personalized logo trailer before the previews that has their own theme song, and MJR's has lyrics that says "It's more than just a movie it's a big night out.." and then there's three flourishes. At big movies its just an accepted thing that everyone claps on the beat. That's right, here in Michgan at MJR, we clap before the movie as well!

This video(not mine) shows it but barely anyone claps.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, we understood a long time ago that the people in the movie can't hear us.

No, we don't clap in cinemas in the UK. Ever. Why would you? It's not the theatre. The actors can't hear you.

No, because who the hell are you clapping for?

Fuck no. You clap to show appreciation to a person or group (or more often than not here in the UK, sarcasm). Why on earth would you clap at a screen?!

If I had friends round we wouldn't clap after watching something on TV, unless it was Theresa May falling down a lot of stairs.

Americans be crazy.

Who is the applause for? The projectionist? Certainly isn't for the staff who aren't ejecting rude or noisy motherfuckers who always seem to go to the cinema whenever I do.

We clap when there is an actual live person to applaud, why the fuck are you clapping for a recording? Do you clap when sitting at home watching netflix as well?

Wow guys. I'm an American and this whole time I thought the actors on screen could hear me and appreciate my clapping.

Thank you for pointing out how stupid and weird I am. Now pardon me, I have to go home and eat some glue because of how dumb I am.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No I never clap during movies. But yes as a German I do clap occasionally when a long flight lands safely. But it happens more rare as I fly so often now and my German co-passengers apparently feel the same. Otherwise I only clap during operas. I found it quite amusing when everyone clapped in a local NYC cinema I was once. But amusing in an endearing way

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wow guys. I'm an American and this whole time I thought the actors on screen could hear me and appreciate my clapping.

Thank you for pointing out how stupid and weird I am. Now pardon me, I have to go home and eat some glue because of how dumb I am.

My pleasure.

I wouldn't do that though, it's very dangerous.

Oct 28, 2017

Save me some of that glue. It gives my hands strength to clap harder!