• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Who is the applause for? The projectionist? Certainly isn't for the staff who aren't ejecting rude or noisy motherfuckers who always seem to go to the cinema whenever I do.

Oct 26, 2017
We clap when there is an actual live person to applaud, why the fuck are you clapping for a recording? Do you clap when sitting at home watching netflix as well?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Clapping on airplanes is one of the most annoying things I've experienced. Do they clap to their taxi driver when they reach the destination?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
the only people that may clap in a movie here are little kids or mentally impaired adults.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Do Americans clap at the end of every film (like The Favorite or something), or does this only affect nerdy movies? I can see the point of view about going to the movies as an event, but only with stuff like Star Wars and such.

It's a nerd fandom thing for midnight/first day showings of popular movie franchises to express excitement/hype without people being idiots and yelling at the screen. Basically like people geeking out over Nintendo Direct announcements at Nintendo NY collectively.

Obviously it'd be a different situation if you were at a premiere/film festival with the producer/director/actors of the movie in the crowd where you're actually clapping for someone there.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Do Americans clap at the end of every film (like The Favorite or something), or does this only affect nerdy movies? I can see the point of view about going to the movies as an event, but only with stuff like Star Wars and such.
I feel like I would have straight up killed a person if they tried to clap at the end of BlacKkKlansman. I assume it's not all films they do this for lol

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do Europeans really never clap and cheer at the movies... not even on opening night?

Not even during Infinity War when Thor showed up in Wakanda with the hammer?

I know that they WILL clap for certain things. When my Aeroflot flight landed in Berlin, some of German and Russian passengers on the plane clapped.
I'm German and the only time I clap is in planes to congratulate the pilot to have us all brought to the destination alive.

Clapping in the midst of a movie is is just...dumb? Sorry I can't find another word for it. I don't want someone to interrupt the movie I'm watching, just like anyone else watching the movie wouldn't, and it's not like the people responsible for my enjoyment would hear or see me clapping. There's absolutely no sense to it.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Where I live (northern Spain), the cinema is dead-silent when watching a film, except for laughter if it's a comedy. People don't clap, or jeer, or shout. It'd be terribly annoying if they did.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clapping on airplanes is one of the most annoying things I've experienced. Do they clap to their taxi driver when they reach the destination?
For most people it's scarier to fly on a plane than driving in a taxi, even if it's nonsense stastically speaking.
I find people randomly clapping while I'm trying to watch a movie way more annoying. Do you clap when watching TV at home as well?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I entered this thread clapping with my hands and feet while also hopping in the air and wriggling like a salmon to make additional claps with my thighs and dick.

Clapping and imperialism are the only things Americans do better than the rest of the world.
We do obesity and anti-intellectualism pretty well too.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
We don't clap at projectors, in Ireland anyway. Unless of course the people behind the movie were present in that specific cinema. Then people might clap.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lol people get so bent out of shape about this.

Americans aren't clapping for the movie or its cast, they are expressing joy with noise. I don't clap at movies, and I think it's a bit silly, but I don't begrudge people who clap after a good movie ends.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
People aren't clapping during movies in America to show appreciation, but because it's a normal part of excited cheering in America.

People clap and cheer during exciting parts of movie for the same reason they do watching sports at a bar. The players can't hear you from there.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I clapped when I saw this thread, which may have been the only instance I have ever clapped for anything but a live performance of some kind.

Recluse

Oct 25, 2017
No, we sit in silence with a blank look on our faces at all times.
Anybody who shows signs of excitement receives the eye beams of shame.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where are all of these theaters full of clapping Americans? I've been avid movie goer my entire life and I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard clapping in a theater, and 3 out of the 5 times were children's movies.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Clapping at the end of a movie, I can understand.

But during it? What the heck.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would I clap at a screen?!

Live performances of bloody course - but to a projection....? Doesn't make sense.

This.
I don't think I've ever seen people clap for a movie or a plane. Maybe one or two people once at the end of a flight that had been particularly turbulent? The idea of clapping at the end of a movie or a normal, uneventful flight is completely weird and alien to me and I can't believe people unironically do this.
Also, I'm from the US.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Clapping and cheering while watching a movie is rude.
Plane passengers clapping is something I've very rarely witnessed, and I suspect that people who do that are drunk.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I totally clap and cheer in the Friends kind of way when awesome or hilarious shit happens. It's like three claps, not a round of applause, and just people getting hype with each other.

I've seen the round of applause thing happen at the end of a couple of movies. I think it's about the audience expressing their appreciation for the shared experience to each other, like "holy fuck that was amazing, right!?"

When I'm in Europe, I know the norms are different, so I'll just shout stuff like "NAE BOTHER!", "HOOT HOOOOOT!", "OHM JEE!", "MOTHER FUCK YOU!", etc.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I'm so glad we have another clapping thread - I was worried there for a while when I didn't see one. Please remember to post another within the next month or so or I will be concerned.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Not just Europe, the rest of the goddamned planet.

Applause is something you give to those you are applauding. In the US it seems to be something that Americans do to call attention to themselves, the equivalent of yelling out "I LIKE THIS THING!".
Who is the applause for? The projectionist? Certainly isn't for the staff who aren't ejecting rude or noisy motherfuckers who always seem to go to the cinema whenever I do.
Let me put it this way:
Excitement, jubilation and ebullience are emotions it is socially acceptable to express in America in a way they are not elsewhere.

The socially acceptable way to express your excitement, jubilation and/or ebullience in America is with applause. At least, when the source of thise feelings is external and from another's efforts.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
[QUOTE="pauljeremiah, post: 18140270, member: 19852"IFCO card .

what is this?[/QUOTE]

It's the certification card that shows before every film.

maxresdefault.jpg

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Let me put it this way:
Excitement, jubilation and ebullience are emotions it is socially acceptable to express in America in a way they are not elsewhere.

lol. Social acceptability doesn't come into it. There is a reason people are asking who the applause is for, rather than stating it's wrong to applaud at all. Like applauding at the end of a speech is perfectly normal, but applauding all the way through it would be weird.

I don't think anyone outside America would have too much of a problem with the type of excited clapping as depicted in the Friends gif. During the course of a movie that kind of thing is really no different from ooohing or aaahing, or laughing at something funny.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I think the real question is why do people in the US clap and cheer at films? Just sit and watch the film.

We also don't clap planes landing... Twice have I witnessed this, once after landing in a heavy snow storm in Austria after we aborted landing twice and had a really bumpy ride over.. and once in New York when nothing eventful happened at all.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy clapping for non-existent actors in the theater.

Although, I do enjoy clapping for the employees who come in to clean up at the end. The applause is really for them. Fuck the movie.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
We might as well ask the question why do we clap at all?

Clapping is a social phenomenom, we rarely do it alone. When we're alone our outside reactions are usually more subdued, we don't ooh and aah as much nor do we react with heightened mannerisms. This is not of course applicable to all situations, we do celebrate certain personal experiences very physically indeed even in isolation. But overall the frequency is less.

Clapping has a social task, it signals others that not only do I appreciate something in public, it also serves as a marker of belonging. If everyone else claps and you don't, you're not in that group. If we steer our focus on fandoms for example, they are not solely about something you like, they're about group identities. In many cases just liking something is not enough, to be a fan you have to show it by means of merch or something. It shows others that you really belong there. There is a lot of gatekeeping in many fandoms and largely many aspects of social life. A good example would be politics, where there are purity tests either formal or informal in a way "you have to agree to X in order to be Y". There is social pressure to comply. This phenomenom is known in group dynamics, where isolated homogenous groups tend to steer toward extremes in order to enforce group cohesion. It's also a competition within the group with those being the most something and showing they're the most, are also higher up in the group's internal (often hidden) hierarchy.

What does this have to do with clapping in cinemas then. This is a phenomenom that is more prevalent in films that have greater fan followings. By clapping or otherwise exaggerating your reactions to the film you signal those around you that you are having an emotional response making you be inside the group that also has strong emotional responces to the film or cinematic universe etc. If you don't clap, you're an outsider to the lived experience of the fandom. And when some people do it, others tend to start doing it too due to aformentioned social pressure and the thing spills over to other spaces.

Now, why is this not so prevalent in Europe. In case of cinemas it's not, but go to a football game and you see it in quite extreme forms in cases. It happens in places that are culturally significant. Maybe movies just aren't that, even though movies are popular and people consume a lot of media as well as what is associated with the media products (star wars toys for example) overall the significance of movies is smaller I think.

I clap with others, at that moment I am in that group. If I weren't in the group, I'd be outside. And if that was my only social reference group, I'd be outside society. The smaller the amount of groups I can belong to, the more I have the need to belong to any of them. Therefore I clap.

But not in cinemas, because I'm an European.

This is a good take.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

New York

UK

Keep on acting like clapping at a live event or if the creators can hear you is the only reason to clap. That narrative is a bunch of self important horseshit. Fine YOU don't clap at movies but that doesn't mean it's somehow more important when it fits YOUR idea.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Rarely ever happens at Irish cinemas, the last time I heard someone clap was at Infinity War when the IFCO card came up and someone shouted "shut the fuck up" and they stopped, fully by someone behind me saying "fucking Americans"

My local cinema is next to the University Of Limerick which has a large US student base.

Lmao. I always cringe when people clap in theaters. I went to see Star Wars 7 opening night and people were clapping for the littlest things and I was just *biggest eye roll ever*

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
"I'm not gonna bother trying to read and comprehend what you're saying, I just want to feel culturally superior for a bit."

To claim that "Excitement, jubilation and ebullience are emotions it is socially acceptable to express in America in a way they are not elsewhere. " is to suggest that people outside America would naturally express their emotions in the same way but refrain from doing so because it is socially unacceptable. The only one claiming cultural superiority is you due to framing it as open Americans versus suppressed Europeans.

It's not a matter of normal vs not normal, or socially acceptable vs socially unacceptable. It just something you do and we don't.