• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
logo.png

PRE-PURCHASE NOW - Steam / Stadia ("exclusive" - consoles tbc after Stadia Exclusivity)

LOTS of info and vids here - https://store.steampowered.com/sale/serioussam?snr=1_4_4__118

SERIOUS SAM SALE HAS BEGUN

library_hero.jpg

www.serioussam.com

Serious Sam 4 Summer Event

A Celebration of All Things Serious

Description
Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass reignites the classic series and takes you on an adventure full of bullets, guts, and one-liners.

About the Game
Developed by true shooter veterans in Croteam, Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass reignites the classic series by improving on the old-school formula. Enjoy the high-adrenaline action combat with an unbelievably destructive arsenal and experience Sam's iconic enemy-annihilating circle-strafing and backpedaling dance-routine on an even bigger scale.

Features
  • CLOSE QUARTERS AND MASSIVE BATTLEFIELDS - Serious Sam has always been about crazy action in both huge open spaces and more streamlined arenas. This time it's no different. However, alongside those smaller arenas, for the first time in series history Serious Sam 4 debuts individual massive 128 x 128 km levels.
  • LEGION SYSTEM - EPIC HORDES OF ENEMIES - Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass debuts brand new enemy hordes scaled to match its terrain size. Fight through thousands upon thousands of relentless foes, both those that defined the franchise like Kamikaze and Kleer and those ready to become iconic in the future.
  • WITH A TWIST OF THE WRIST - To help you cover more ground easily, Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass features a set of cool and fun vehicles. Get your driving skills ready and jump on a motorcycle, a combine harvester or even a bulletproof popemobile and drive your way through unfortunate enemy pedestrians.
  • CLASSIC SAM IS BACK - Despite the huge terrains and vast open spaces, Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass is NOT an open world game. Fans will once again get to enjoy that circle-strafing, backpedaling, linear action gameplay they have come to love but on brutally bigger scale.
  • WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM A FRIEND - Companions no longer appear only in cut-scenes, but are taking part in the action. Rodriguez, Jones, Hellfire and the rest of the crew are joining Sam in this epic journey through Planet Badass. However, Sam is still very much a one-man-army hero you met all those years ago.
EDIT - Unfortunately they've changed the feature list below... hopefully all those features may still be there in future?!

unknown.png

Last edited:

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The GOAT co-op FPS returns.

Ain't no other FPS throwing in 16 players vs hundreds of monsters at a time!

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love Serious Sam 3. It's one of the all-time greats and while I admit that my tastes can be specific sometimes, I think it's overlooked more broadly among FPS fans.

I'm very excited for this.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Finally!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

CLOSE QUARTERS AND MASSIVE BATTLEFIELDS - Serious Sam has always been about crazy action in both huge open spaces and more streamlined arenas. This time it's no different. However, alongside those smaller arenas, for the first time in series history Serious Sam 4 debuts individual massive 128 x 128 km levels.

Wut?

CLASSIC SAM IS BACK - Despite the huge terrains and vast open spaces, Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass is NOT an open world game. Fans will once again get to enjoy that circle-strafing, backpedaling, linear action gameplay they have come to love but on brutally bigger scale.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
W00t!
Can't wait to see it. Wonder if they still have up to 100,000 enemies on the screen at once.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Great news. But where is Talos Principle sequel...

When they announced it, they were explicit that the games was multiple years away and we wouldn't hear much. They just wanted to confirm they started and it would happen.

Of course things can change, but with its success and it being Croteam, they can take as long as they need

These guys arent fast.

They are the itsbeen84years.gif in vg company form. Like Valve in a way.

Pretty much!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Steam description says:

"Fight and explore your way through huge environments populated with optional objectives, secrets and deadly ambushes. But, fear not! Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass is still a focused, linear experience you have come to love, and NOT an open-world game."

Really keen to point out it's linear despite the open areas. I suppose this is the point in a thread where someone mentions Metro Exodus.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

A reminder - Croteam did a lot of work to their engine over the past years.
Serious Sam Fusion exists, collecting all the games and launching them under the same engine and launcher, with a bunch of Vulkan work going into it.
Since then, more effort on the engine side is leading to Serious Sam 4.

Expecting crazy maps - now confirmed with 128x128km madness (but not "open world" still somewhat classic gameplay)
"Legion" system - ridiculous enemy numbers

LEGION SYSTEM - EPIC HORDES OF ENEMIES - Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass debuts brand new enemy hordes scaled to match its terrain size. Fight through thousands upon thousands of relentless foes, both those that defined the franchise like Kamikaze and Kleer and those ready to become iconic in the future.

Kind of the next evolution of Serious Sam!
Hope it as or more cathartic and manic as the latest Doom game!!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Serious Sam 2 came 3 years after Second Encounter.

Serious Sam 3 was 6 years after that.

So 9 years makes sense.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I almost forgot about this. How come there was such a long gap between its announcement and this?

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome!

I have yet to play SS3. How was it?
As a newbie who somewhat recently got into the series, I find 3 to be easily the worst, I couldn't even finish the thing. The setting, the new enemies, the unbalanced encounters.. I just didn't find it fun at all.

First/Second and 2 are so damn good tho, I really hope 4 delivers.

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is probably wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be something if they were targeting the next gen consoles for this? I know - not likely, but I can only dream. :)

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I was promised 100,000 enemies.

You were!

We wanted to have thousands [of ] enemies, no, hundreds of thousands [of ] enemies in epic battles that aren't just cutscenes and you can be a part of battle—in an FPS game! Think Lord of the Rings, with you playing as Sam in the thick of it, wielding a minigun. And no beards.

I know this is probably wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be something if they were targeting the next gen consoles for this? I know - not likely, but I can only dream. :)

Plausible. Consoles are confirmed but we don't know when or which. Only Steam has a page, but I suspect that is more potential beta stuff, and kind of standard Croteam.

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
I had completely forgotten this was coming. It feels like forever ago that they teased it. I'm cautiously interested, but I think it needs a bit of a refresh - I'm not sure it will grab me if it's more of 3.

Edit: Ok paying more attention to the OP, it does seem like they have some interesting ideas.

Oct 27, 2017
Plausible. Consoles are confirmed but we don't know when or which. Only Steam has a page, but I suspect that is more potential beta stuff, and kind of standard Croteam.

This time Sam has to deal with the full-fledged invasion of the Earth by Mental's armies and armies aren't comprised of five, ten or even a hundred simultaneous enemies in a single scene. We wanted to have thousands [of ] enemies, no, hundreds of thousands [of ] enemies in epic battles that aren't just cutscenes and you can be a part of battle—in an FPS game! Think Lord of the Rings, with you playing as Sam in the thick of it, wielding a minigun. And no beards.

This has always been my dream - an fps with the scale of something like Lords of the Rings. I hope they can actually deliver on this. I'll believe it when I see it, though, but this does give me some glimmer of hope they are actually targeting next gen with the Lord of the Rings statement above.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This has always been my dream - an fps with the scale of something like Lords of the Rings. I hope they can actually deliver on this. I'll believe it when I see it, though, but this does give me some glimmer of hope they are actually targeting next gen with the Lord of the Rings statement above.

There are people that have seen it and seem to agree, so it sounds good to me!
Also, might ruin the Lord of the Rings style in a very Serious Sam way:

Wroom, wroom
Traversing big environments is no easy task. So get your driving skills ready and jump on a motorcycle, a combine or even a bulletproof popemobile and drive your way through unfortunate enemy pedestrians.

This time, Sam's bringing friends
Companions no longer appear only in cut-scenes, but are taking part in the action. Rodriguez, Jones, Hellfire and the rest of the crew are joining Sam in this epic journey through Planet Badass.