• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It might seem like a dumb question (probably is), but I see overly sexualized characters being referred to as fan service all the time. What is the background behind this? I thought fan service would include things like including elements that are meaningless to the core of the game but fans would appreciate, maybe like the costumes in Bayonetta on Wii U/Switch.

Personally I don't like overly sexualized characters and find it embarrassing when they're included, especially if other people can see the screen when I'm playing.

Just curious where this terminology originated?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Refers to being flashy or showy for fans. An athlete makes a fancy play, a racecar driver drifts for show, a model turns and arches their back or flexes something. In terms of video game characters, it's often flashy costumes.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
It might seem like a dumb question (probably is), but I see overly sexualized characters being referred to as fan service all the time. What is the background behind this? I thought fan service would include things like including elements that are meaningless to the core of the game but fans would appreciate, maybe like the costumes in Bayonetta on Wii U/Switch.

Personally I don't like overly sexualized characters and find it embarrassing when they're included, especially if other people can see the screen when I'm playing.

Just curious where this terminology originated?
I think it started that way :

"Eh this anime girl is HOT. I'd love to see her in a swimsuit or something
- Say no more my good male twenty-something otaku. Here she is, in all her D Cup beauty
- Thanks man... You're really doing me a service here... As a fan I mean"

Something like that.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think the term itself stems from Japan, but that it has deeper roots in American culture with regards to sports. Specifically, cheerleaders in sports who would wear minimal clothing and dance for the audience in-between plays, during time-outs, or at half-time of sports games like football. That culture jumped over to Japan's sports, as Japan adopted a lot of American culture in the post-WW2 years. And they dubbed it fan-service. When and how it jumped from sports to manga/anime/video game culture I'm not sure.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'm sure it originated in the context of some sort of degenerate japanese anime otaku product or something. Dunno how it transitioned into games including western titles though.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i believe the term originated in otaku culture in japan circa the 80s, particularly in regards to gainax's love for titty bounce

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Fan service means doing something as a treat for fans of something, and back in the day, that meant pandering to the male audience. It has since come to mean winks and nods and extras that fans would appreciate, but they became two separate things while keeping the same name origin.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the term Fan service originated from Japan and always been used to describe sexy scenes.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
https://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/7826/where-did-the-term-fan-service-came-from
The term "fan service" goes back to the late 80's at minimum. However, Dirty Pair was done in 1985 and clearly had fan service in mind even if they didn't expressly use the term then. The term "Gainax Bounce" has been described as fan service since their title Top wo Nerae! came out in 1988 (1). Gainax's anime parody of their own rise called 1982 Otaku no Video and 1985 Otaku no Video refers to fan service (2).

The first use of "fan service" on Usenet as refering to its current meaning was in 1994 by Hitoshi Doi (3). The actual first use of the term "fan service" on Usenet was done in 1991 by Tonghyun Kim and has a different context (3). (emphasis added by me)

By the time Gainax released Shin Seiki Evangelion in 1995, the term "fan service" was well known. This explains why on the previews for the next episode, Misato often called for more "service" or promised more "service". - source

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
¿? I always thought that fan-service was that side/optional/secondary/comes in a sequel kind of thing.

Like, when female character exists and you can unlock a swimswit for her or when in a long-running saga, the female cast starts to wear skimpier clothes.

When a sexualized character is done like that by default, I wouldn't categorize it as fan-service.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
¿? I always thought that fan-service was that side/optional/secondary/comes in a sequel kind of thing.

Like, when female character exists and you can unlock a swimswit for her or when in a long-running saga, the female cast starts to wear skimpier clothes.

When a sexualized character is done like that by default, I wouldn't categorize it as fan-service.
A character can be designed with fan service in mind. Like that bad character from Gurren Lagan who while having a reveling outfit also wastes time on boob/butt shots.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I didn't want to say it, but do developers see us as desperate and that's why it's considered fan service?

Not desperate, but It's a pretty common concept in society that men likes boobs and ass. Also the game industry primarily aims at male audience.

For me fan service is anything that you could take out of a game, and it would still be a game. Fan service attracts a bigger audience. Check out any Xenoblade 2 forum, you will see that several people play it because of the mechanics or gameplay, others because of the plot, and others because waifus. If you remove the waifus, your public is smaller.

I personally think that if you make a good game, you don't need to add sexualized women in it.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was young, I was taught that "fanservice" was anything that was done purely to pander to the audience, to reward them for watching, and to trick them into coming back for more. Sexual titillation is just one branch of fanservice, but it overwhelmed anime in the 90's (Neon Genesis Evangelion teased in their next episode previews that the next episode would probably have fanservice, which I think was a case of mocking the trend, while also indulging in it).

The word became synonymous with sexual titillation because of anime since the 90's. Videogames are close enough to anime that they follow some of the same trends and pick up some of the same terms.

https://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/7826/where-did-the-term-fan-service-came-from
The first use of "fan service" on Usenet as refering to its current meaning was in 1994 by Hitoshi Doi (3).
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

(Skip to the 8:00 mark to meet Hitoshi Doi.)

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018
Seeing scantily clad characters is often enjoyable and stimulating. It is also often necessary. Therefore, it's a simple service to the fans, aka fan service.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Only flashy outfits? I digress. I think fan service is also the mandatory beach/pool episode in almost every anime to date. They rarely wear flashy swimsuits in these and if, then it's just the icing of the cake imo.

If you want a true fanservice only anime look no further than Keijo.

In the end I find it distracting, I'd rather see Anime to excel with great story telling than with the so called fan service, it's often a fan disservice as was pointed out in this thread already.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't know but if you study arts, you wouldn't think that's ridiculous at all.

Bayonetta outfits aren't any different from Link in Soul Calibur, it's just a cameo. In this case the outfits had to make sense with the character, otherwise they'd look off.

Why are people are so obsessed with sexualized characters? If you accept sex scenes in movies, i don't see where's the problem here, as long as you raise the PEGI rating.

The only thing that turns me off is the age of these characters (it just makes no sense and that seems a service to pedos): body of a 20 years old but for some reason she is 10. WTF?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
As others have already explained, it has its roots in Anime/Manga culture and then spread to the west. The promise of fan service in every NGE preview still cracks me up to this day (mainly because it seems to be an empty promises, it only gets fulfilled half the time).

Ultimately it's just a euphemism for T&A, and isn't something I'm into.

Why are people are so obsessed with sexualized characters? If you accept sex scenes in movies, i don't see where's the problem here, as long as you raise the PEGI rating.
The problem isn't contextualised, relevant sexual content. It's when women are hypersexualised in order to appeal to a straight mail audience, often at the expense of character depth and substance.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
I think it started that way :

"Eh this anime girl is HOT. I'd love to see her in a swimsuit or something
- Say no more my good male twenty-something otaku. Here she is, in all her D Cup beauty
- Thanks man... You're really doing me a service here... As a fan I mean"

Something like that.
I believe it was exactly like this

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Real anime fanservice is twenty minutes of mecha sakuga action - with gattai, and close-ups on the mechanisms.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
I knew about the term for a long time but I remember thinking the same OP. Thought it meant "this doesn't really fit the narrative we're progressing towards, but fans like it so we can include it". It, being, a character coming back to life or changing appearances, names etc.

Now that I described that, is there even a name for that "service" ?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I didn't want to say it, but do developers see us as desperate and that's why it's considered fan service?

Yes.
Specially because for some devs it is easier to focus on the pillow buying otaku as their market target because he is a whale and will buy anything with boobs jumping to his face. Instead of ... I don't know, doing something that everyone will think it is good =P

*images of boob physics flash through mind*

aim for the top

"""""boob physics"""""

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but if you study arts, you wouldn't think that's ridiculous at all.

Bayonetta outfits aren't any different from Link in Soul Calibur, it's just a cameo. In this case the outfits had to make sense with the character, otherwise they'd look off.

The only thing that turns me off is the age of these characters (it just makes no sense and that seems a service to pedos): body of a 20 years old but for some reason she is 10. WTF?
I find most sex scenes to be pretty terrible too. Both in movies and books. It's super rare to find one that actually says something meaningful about the relationship of the characters in the scene, or that is artfully shot or described (Haruki Murakami, pls, stop, it's literally the one thing you can't make inexplicably interesting).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the exact origin but some fans like it so it "services" them I guess. I've heard it used in this context since the 90's.
Obviously others will disagree. Personally while I understand people's displasure over it there's definetly designs and seres that have sexulization that I like such as Camilla or Mai.

But again personal taste and I say I understand not wanting to see it everywhere.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'll never understand the appeal behind people getting aroused by "non real" characters. I mean, they're all polygons or drawings... But to each their own.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
GAINAX surely made fanservice popular with Hideaki Anno's Gunbuster and Neon Genesis Evangelion, but it goes back in time at least to DAICON III & IV in 1981-3 when they were still Daicon Film.

DAICON III was made mainly by Hideaki Anno (doens't need a presentation), Hiroyuki Yamaga (Gainax's president) and Takami Akai (who stepped down from the Gainax board in 2007 after some shit happened online on 2channel).

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I think it's because people are horny, not saying that makes sexualized character okay, just saying that people are horny.
Guess what? Female likes sexualized male character as well, and that's totally cool.

I think it depends on the intention, is the goal to make the character sexy? or to objectify that character?

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I'll never understand the appeal behind people getting aroused by "non real" characters. I mean, they're all polygons or drawings... But to each their own.
Same reason people get sexual fantasies about book characters. People can find all sorts of things sexy, and "real" isn't even that easy to determine. If you find an actor attractive in a movie, its likely that the makeup, post-production work and team of people working to make them look good have something to do with it. There are plenty of people make a career of being arousing but look thoroughly "normal" without all those extra layers. In terms of a fictional character in a book or something, a lot of that's more finding a certain character traits sexy. I think with a lot of people who find 2D or game characters sexy, it comes down to things like voice, characterization, etc. and the actual visual element isn't necessarily the only thing at work. Different strokes for different folks, though.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It was hijacked from when the term used to mean "giving the audience what they want", turns out anime (where the term is used the most in the modern pervert way) is consumed by a huge margin of perverts.

Back in the day it meant things like "making a nod towards the audience" or "bringing back fan faves" and thinks like that.

The new Broly movie is an example of something doing fan service in both meanings, for example, with bringing back fan fave (Broly) and making nods to the audience (Frieza wanting to use the dragon balls to become taller as a nod to Commander Red from dragon ball), but also having gratuitous sexualized shots of Cheelai.

Oct 25, 2017
Some folks are constantly horny, and these designs often aim to please those folks at the expense of the lore, world and character of the rest of the game.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Because the skimpy clothes serves no other purpose than titillate the libido of the fans ?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
i believe the term originated in otaku culture in japan circa the 80s, particularly in regards to gainax's love for titty bounce
Fan service means doing something as a treat for fans of something, and back in the day, that meant pandering to the male audience. It has since come to mean winks and nods and extras that fans would appreciate, but they became two separate things while keeping the same name origin.

While all the same selling sexy figures :P

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
As someone raised on anime, whenever someone refers to fan service in a non-sexual context it takes me a second to go "oh, yeah".

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It's just a dog whistle for pandering to horny straight boys. It makes it appear more digestible and innocent.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
GAINAX surely made fanservice popular with Hideaki Anno's Gunbuster and Neon Genesis Evangelion, but it goes back in time at least to DAICON III & IV in 1981-3 when they were still Daicon Film.

DAICON III was made mainly by Hideaki Anno (doens't need a presentation), Hiroyuki Yamaga (Gainax's president) and Takami Akai (who stepped down from the Gainax board in 2007 after some shit happened online on 2channel).

I have to watch Daicon IV every single time I see it mentioned. It's joy made manifest.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Oh my

What happened here now?

Essentially 2channel criticized the animation of the pilot and he responded quite "vocally" to that criticism.

Let me quote an article [Akai, under the name Magi no Suke, responded that personally reading the comments on 2channel was "like putting [his] face next to an anus and breathing deeply."]

Gainax and the fandom always had a difficult relationship.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-04-27/co-founder-takami-akai-steps-down-from-gainax

Gainax died that year really. Hideaki Anno was fed up with Gainax postponing his Rebuild project for Gurren Lagann (that ended up being a catrastrophically bad financial decision) and founded his own studio in 2006, then this happened and they lost 2 of their funding members in less than 12 months.

It's just a dog whistle for pandering to horny straight boys. It makes it appear more digestible and innocent.

Never watched a trashy anime aimed at girls I guess.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It's an awful phrase for it. I guess people that use it believe only straight men count as fans. What about women or other groups? Are they not fans too?

Fan service for me is what FF XIV does or adding Easter eggs to games not a thinly-veiled attempt to provide justification for rampant sexualisation of women in games. Oh they're doing it "for the fans"...

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
All speculation, but I think a lot of fan service came about when creators of anime realized that Western people started becoming a large part of the audience. And lets face it, it is a lot of the "adult themes" (whether being sexy elements, violence, or just more "mature" storytelling) that do bring a lot of fans of anime in, which we don't get from Western animation which is mostly "for kids".

Not saying "fan service" didn't exist before, but now they know what they are doing. What before were little saucy quirks thrown in the by the creators eventually became an almost assembly-line-like "lets give the fans what they want", hence the fan service.