• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have youtuber merch?

• Of course! Why wouldn't the world want to know I'm the biggest fan of YosejuxXGaming?

Votes: 109 16.9%
  • Why does this sell at all

Votes: 535 83.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
raf,750x1000,075,t,353d77:4d8b4ffd91.u2.jpg

Oh hell yeah.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kids in elementary and middle school. My niece just entered 2nd grade and for her last birthday all she wanted was YouTuber merch. It felt wrong buying it even if it was for a loved one.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Do you count hot ones? I have a shirt and make a point to buy every seasons hot sauces. This show got me into hot sauces a lot more and into collecting interesting hot sauces.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Plus I'm not going to blame any Youtuber for diversifying their income streams. Youtube is constantly messing around with algorithms and pay structures- you would be foolish not to create a more reliable revenue source.
For many Youtube is just a way to build a brand. Not just merch, they'll use Youtube to link to affiliate marketing. The financial channels are big on selling ebooks, instructional dvds and online courses. There's big money to be made doing that.
Since Youtube is screwing with pay structures, those who found other ways to monetize are the smart ones.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Jesus fucking christ, some of you are cringey old fuckers. "but youtube bad! youtubers not worth merch!" Sit the fuck down peepaw, this is no different from a band shirt except it's something you don't like.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I totally get the appeal if the clothing looks cool or has a neat design.

Which is why I truly have no idea why Markiplier and Jacksepticeye's "Cloak" line is a thing!

Those two seem like cool guys, but to me this just makes them seem out of touch. I concede that it's probably just me that's out of touch, though.
That just seems to be two people channeling their popularity into a successful athleisure line rather than it actually being merch for them. Since low run athleisure/street wear lines are a big deal right now that's a pretty savvy business venture. The fact that all the items appear to be unisex is pretty awesome I kind of want some of those clothes if they are actually well made.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
If they sell something that you find cool, why would you not want to buy it if you can afford it ?

Shit tons of people are buying Gucci crap and other stuff like that and nobody bats an eye. I don't really see much differences between the two (other than the fact that youtubers merch tend to be more affordable than Gucci).

I got theses Critical Role shirts and wear them without shame :

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I have an Easy Allies t-shirt and hoodie.
I'll shill for them no problem, best in the biz.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if I've ever seen that in public but I don't see how its any different than wearing merch from a concert you went to or anything like that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I have a number of TeamFourStar and Little Kuriboh shirts... I like supporting them *shrugs*

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I went to a local Wal-Mart here in Canada and there was actually a small section of Ninja merch. I personally don't see how this is any different than wearing merch for your favorite games, sports teams, bands, movies, etc.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I rock Critical Role merchandise and I might get an Easy Allies shirt someday. It's great to randomly meet a Critter out there (Critical Role fan). Now, more mainstream Youtubers with ugly merch (like their faces) I don't really understand, but as long as it looks cool who cares?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You all don't buy your 18th century period-correct reenacting gear from Jas. Townsend & Son? Lol noobs

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbh, if you wear any content creator (Music bands, movie shirts, gamer shirts) you can't say youtube merch is pointless cause you pretty much do the same thing lmao

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I do not recall ever seeing a single person on the street wearing a Youtuber's merch that I recognize.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
It's like a goddamn plague. Besides some very specific channels, most youtube videos and click on start with the Youtuber shilling their merch before they start, and it's usually just a shirt with the channel's logo or some fanart on top of it. And they usually say that it's running out as well... so they sell? Who the fuck is out there using merch from a youtuber? I guess it's no different from using merch from a band, but it still feels so odd to think there's some guy with an Antdude shirt collection they use regularly.

Do you own any merch from a youtuber?

I mean yeah I own stuff from a couple of youtuber's. I don't see the big deal here, do you own band tee's? Or movie poster shirts? It's literally the same thing dude

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I own several Super Best Friend shirts and a few achievement Hunter shirts. I like em. I like how niche they are; I've been complimented a couple times by other fans I've met in public. No different from band shirts in my opinion

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Dashiegames plushie and I'm not sorry at all.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think the only Youtuber merch I've ever bought was the Stop Skeletons From Fighting t-shirt and I've only watched a couple of their videos. I just like the design.
product_stopskeletons_shirt_main_1024x1024.jpg

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Girlfriend has a critical role shirt she wears. Have a friend who lives in her pew die pie hoodie. Both late 20s

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Nah. Normal people didn't used to say "merch."
Yeah...I remember wrestling fans talking about the merch tables of wrestlers and merch stands at shows in the 90's, it's been a thing since forever. Merchandise is a word, people contract words all the time, so merch is a thing. You may not have heard it, for whatever reason, but multiple people have now corrected you, maybe accept that your experience is not the experience of everyone else.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...I remember wrestling fans talking about the merch tables of wrestlers and merch stands at shows in the 90's, it's been a thing since forever. Merchandise is a word, people contract words all the time, so merch is a thing. You may not have heard it, for whatever reason, but multiple people have now corrected you, maybe accept that your experience is not the experience of everyone else.
I specifically said "normal people." So obviously not pro wrestling fans or people who buy shirts at concerts.