• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Are they even on the show anymore? Every time my kid watches it's Elmo and Abby nonstop. Furthermore, Sesame Street is one of the most inclusive shows on TV. They have touched on same sex couples several times that I have seen.

Edit:

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
There's a strange misconception in this thread that relationships = sex.
I dunno what you all look for out of a relationship, but I also look for someone to hang out with, in a romantic fashion. If only a relationship could be depicted in media for children without the characters fucking...
Oh wait, that's most children's media. Disney, Dreamworks, whatever, there are many examples of relationships just culminating in kisses, or even just hand holding.
If you REALLY need some more facts for your immersion in a puppet based world to be sustained, it's possible for people in real life to be asexual, but still want romantic relationships.

shoplifter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the replies to their tweet are full on crazy. You shipped some felt puppets, what are you angry about?

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Why do people always try to make guys that are close gay? It just keeps stigmatizing healthy male relationships.

As a gay man, I echo this. Not every pair of dudes who have a bond is gay.

Similarly, if characters are gay, they need to be portrayed as such outright. Not the "oh yeah this character is totally gay even though the movie/show/book makes absolutely no suggestion of this" that's going around media right now.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
giphy.gif

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People complaining about fans creating their own canon can fuck right off. LGBT characters are so few and far between, how dare fans speculate and become invested in relationships between characters they enjoy. Maybe if there was more representation people wouldn't feel the need to write ambiguous characters as gay or trans.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just glad they felt the need to explicitly deny the possibility that two beloved characters are gay, so queer kids don't start getting any ideas.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think OP really needs to be updated because this entire conversation isn't really about fans. It's not "fans" creating their own canon. This all started because a person who wrote sesame street came out and said he patterned Bert and Ernie after his own gay marriage, and in his mind when he wrote them, they were always gay. This was the 1970's, and obviously he couldn't call them outright gay on children's television back then, which is why they officially weren't called gay on the show, but as the dude writing him, he saw them as gay.

Then the PR account for the entity who owns the characters came out and said no, everybody on sesame street is asexual.

A lot of people posting ITT about "people shipping puppets" or whatever are missing the context of this entire conversation. This really isn't about fans, honestly. It's a creator of the show arguing with the rights owner of the show. Really, a step above "fan" arguments.

Bert and Ernie's cocreator chimes in.

"why do people care about sexuality" is a pretty irrelevant question when people demonstratively do. Why they do is immaterial, society evidently deeply cares about this stuff.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
In thought they we're siblings for a long time. And everyone knows Ernie is i to rubber duckies anyway.

In any case can adults just leave things be and stop fighting over kids programs?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

The words of a well meaning person steeped in straight privilege.

Of course sexuality isn't such a big deal or a defining thing when you belong to the group that's widely considered normal and default.

It's like saying "What's the big deal about race?" when you're a hot white man.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck that, they're gay to me and there's nothing anyone can say to make me think otherwise. They're gay and they're great at it too.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
It's kind of weird how much people obsessed over their sexuality that they had to release a statement explicitly spelling it out.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Heaven forbid anything on earth not be perceived as straight for even a moment

This is a little absurd, considering we have more and more LGBTQ characters and yearly accomplishments regarding representation. This isn't exactly the handsmaids tale we are living in.

It's pretty obvious Sesame Street doesn't want any backlash on having them being gay characters and their statement is absurd given they have sexual preference as a core plot for other characters, the autistic muppet and HIV positive muppet. So shame on them for cowering under LGBTQ representation. But lets be real, their statement is news because they are shying away from their homosexuality, because it is seen as regressive and not in line with where the industry is moving. If they said "yeah they are gay" the majority of us would be saying "duh, well that's not a surprise".

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think OP really needs to be updated because this entire conversation isn't really about fans. It's not "fans" creating their own canon. This all started because a person who wrote sesame street came out and said he patterned Bert and Ernie after his own gay marriage, and in his mind when he wrote them, they were always gay. This was the 1970's, and obviously he couldn't call them outright gay on children's television back then, which is why they officially weren't called gay on the show, but as the dude writing him, he saw them as gay.

Then the PR account for the entity who owns the characters came out and said no, everybody on sesame street is asexual.

A lot of people posting ITT about "people shipping puppets" or whatever are missing the context of this entire conversation. This really isn't about fans, honestly. It's a creator of the show arguing with the rights owner of the show. Really, a step above "fan" arguments.

"why do people care about sexuality" is a pretty irrelevant question when people demonstratively do. Why they do is immaterial, society evidently deeply cares about this stuff.
My post was more a response to shitty posters complaining about Overwatch shipping or about how this is "vilifying straight male relationships." These people are full of shit.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My post was more a response to shitty posters complaining about Overwatch shipping or about how this is "vilifying straight male relationships." These people are full of shit.

No I got you, it's just that yours was the last post I'd seen on the page that talked about fan level interactions, sorry for using it as a jumping off point.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Why is what horrific? The depiction of the two as gay is not. I was referring to the outrage with that part. As to what the internet has done to my beloved Ernie and his pal Bert? I seen some things, man!

In thought they we're siblings for a long time. And everyone knows Ernie is i to rubber duckies anyway.

But as with all things in life, you gotta put down the duckie if you want to play the saxophone.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

So god damn sick of reading/hearing this. It's just an excuse to shut down discussion surrounding sexuality. Non-hetero sexualities get brought up at a fraction of the frequency that heterosexuality is featured/references/confirmed and suddenly people care about defining people without referencing sexuality.

Fuck. Offfffff. You ever see someone get all soap boxy over circumventing sexuality when a character/icon is straight?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
We have already been shown that there are straight couples.... but as always gay couples becomes sexualization as if it's something perverse
Obviously, the world view is still very much that being gay is a sexual orientation, while being straight is just normal.

The response is about as backward as it gets. Fucking awful, and fucking typical.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

But remember it doesn't matter.

See fine clarify but you can't say it doesn't matter and then very much act like it really really really matters.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Are they even on the show anymore? Every time my kid watches it's Elmo and Abby nonstop. Furthermore, Sesame Street is one of the most inclusive shows on TV. They have touched on same sex couples several times that I have seen.

Edit:

Not really clear who the parents are here. Is this a polyamorous family?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is what horrific? The depiction of the two as gay is not. I was referring to the outrage with that part. As to what the internet has done to my beloved Ernie and his pal Bert? I seen some things, man!

But as with all things in life, you gotta put down the duckie if you want to play the saxophone.

Oh ok lol. Totally misunderstood what you were saying there.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Notice when someone says I read them as brothers

There's no... they're not brothers, it is important to be honest, they are not brothers...

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Idk why they'd even address the question because they're fucked either way. It's a trap.

Daygon

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
As a straight person, I think my kind have suffered enough and deserve basic respect. It's really hard being straight with history looking at us like we are ignorant, sexist and non understanding. I rebuke those notions and stereotypes.

Straight Lives Matter too, but you don't see us getting a month.

EDIT: I forgot my /s, lol.