• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I mean I guess but he opened up with why does it matter and still ends with they're straight btw.

Again it's that "gay people in media existing maybe" makes everyone an amateur philosopher.

I agree with you on all your points on this one but this is further than most people make it in elevating themselves. In this regressive world I am but a beggar and choose today to take something positive out of the point he reached today.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Animal legit chases women and goes "WOMEN WOMEN WOMEN" and lust after them. "Just puppets".

And shut up if you try to say Seasme St ain't the same verse, it has been since day one and they have too many crossovers. And there are plenty examples of realationships in the seasme st shows.

The lack of gay muppets is a misstep in my eyes.
Sesame Street was made for Children and the Muppets were made for Adults because Henson did not want to be pigeonholed as just a children's entertainer. The pilot was called Sex and Violence.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you on all your points on this one but this is further than most people make it in elevating themselves. In this regressive world I am but a beggar and choose today to take something positive out of the point he reached today.

Eh I'm not going to tweet at him, I never wade into twitter.... but his response is whatever. It wasn't insightful when he started and it's not any more so when he ended.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sesame Street was made for Children and the Muppets were made for Adults because Henson did not want to be pigeonholed as just a children's entertainer. The pilot was called Sex and Violence.

I get the history, but it's not like muppets are realationshipless creatures. Also they said they're just puppets.

P-U-P-P-E-T-S

What is this world

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
97sxGpg.jpg

What the...

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
And again that's my real issue, this mealy mouthed nonsense where they fundamentally alter how things work just to explain why those characters are not gay.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I like that answer.

If it really bothers you just pretend they are. It's all fictional regardless.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The internet reaction to this has been some hetronormative bullshit. "Oh its a kids show, they dont need to talk about sex"... Just more gay couple = gay sex, straight couple = normal loving relationship nonsense

Last edited:

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
So in order to deny that two characters are in a committed romantic relationship, they just destroyed all the other straight couples on the show.
Reminds me of when gay marriage was legalized in the US and some officials just refused to marry ANYONE to spite gay people.
Like they're really that extra on making sure lgbt people don't have any representation.

And as other posters have said I get sick of the inference that showing gay couples on tv (and especially children's shows) means there are going to be scenes of gay sex when straight couples exist in g-rated material EVERYWHERE and they never even have to take off their clothes or even kiss to be represented as a couple.

Frank Oz in one of his tweets was asking what would change about B&E if they were gay, and literally nothing imo. Maybe if I'm being generous there's some issue stating they are a couple because they aren't married yet sleep in the same room so there is some sort of implied 'cohabitation' before marriage fear going on. But hell in that case retcon them as married. Have a picture up in their apartment of them together wearing tuxes and literally never talk about it unless some concerned party brings up the fact they are living in sin or whatever.

Anyway, someone should get B&E's thoughts on this matter since it concerns them. Have they spoken about this yet?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Show denies gay couple with the children excuse ignoring millions of children who are brought up by same sex couples or have friends who do.

Come the fuck on and have some bravery to admit what was pretty darned overt.

Yet again just pushing normalisation of homosexuality backwards for no good reason.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They could come at this in a much better way. This just sends a message to gay children that they still have something to be ashamed about, should continue hiding and that there's something wrong with allowing children to see gay characters and role models in media aimed at them. They don't even have to alter a single thing about how they are presented or act, but just not being a meany about it to save face to advertisers or investors or whoever so they can continue to sell their show to regions with draconian laws which I assume is the real reason for their stance on this.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I thought it was strange that a writer that didn't create the characters can come in and try to decide their sexual orientation. Seems like the original creators would have had say so there.

I never saw them as gay, at first I thought they were brothers, then best friends. If people want to continue to ship them then you can't control that but I don't see anything wrong with the company clarifying that they aren't gay.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't understand why they can't just be room mates like Joey and Chandler? Just because one writer said In his mind that's how he wrote them? I feel like this will turn to Twitter mass hsyteria until they are shamed into making a official statement saying they are a gay couple just to shut people up. Which to me wouldn't be sincere at all and just giving into the pressure of a angry mob.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with them wanting the characters to simply be good friends rather than a couple but the whole "they're puppets with no sexual orientation" is total BS given that there have most definitely been Muppets on Sesame Street shown to be in straight relationships. You'd think a show that dealt with racism and added an HIV+ Muppet wouldn't be afraid to tackle something as basic as bigotry toward gay relationships but I guess we know where Sesame Workshop draws the line.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It seems like a lame response when there's definitely straight couples in the Muppet universe

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There's a strange misconception in this thread that relationships = sex.
I dunno what you all look for out of a relationship, but I also look for someone to hang out with, in a romantic fashion. If only a relationship could be depicted in media for children without the characters fucking...
Oh wait, that's most children's media. Disney, Dreamworks, whatever, there are many examples of relationships just culminating in kisses, or even just hand holding.
If you REALLY need some more facts for your immersion in a puppet based world to be sustained, it's possible for people in real life to be asexual, but still want romantic relationships.
That's always the problem that I have with criticism from conservative folks.

Straight couple= Love and family.
Gay couple= why must you bring sex in?!!!

EDIT: I see that someone has said the same in the thread after a poster complaining about sexualization lol. Case-in-point.

Last edited:

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017