• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
93MJA9B.png

Site | $29.99 (Steam, Humble, GOG)

If there's one place that Master Thief Teriel avoids at all costs, it's the prison island of Peh. But when a daring heist takes an unexpected turn, Teriel finds himself shackled on an airship bound for the infamous island. To make matters worse, the daemon inside his head makes it very clear that the thief will never leave unless he does exactly what he's told. In Seven: The Days Long Gone you play as Teriel. You must use all of your cunning and clandestine skills to escape a web of deceit and betrayal, and ultimately survive Peh.

Reveal trailer | Gameplay trailer | Story trailer | Cinematic trailer

WORLD ================================ TRAVERSAL
7zn755dm.jpg
8IzWAdnm.jpg

STEALTH ===================================== COMBAT
Wo7cUxsm.jpg
p1N8l1xm.jpg

• Sneak, run, climb, and fight your way across a colourful array of environments, from Mortbane, a small town to Hallard, the "hi-tech" city of the world​
  • Get the jump on enemies from behind and above, fool everyone with cunning disguises, or just use the environment to keep out of sight entirely. If things go wrong, however, or you're feeling impatient, there's nothing to stop you from letting loose with an array of devastating weapons, and unleashing deadly magical skills upon your foes.​
  • Encounter an array of people, from despondent slaves and prisoners through to rich socialites. Just be sure to keep an eye out for the two major factions on Peh: the Biomancers and the Technomagi.​
  • On Peh, everyone has an agenda, and often there's more than meets the eye. Dive into a world teeming with distrust, and crushed between the machinations of mighty powers. Work with the daemon that has possessed you to complete a mission of utmost importance. The fate of the Vetrall Empire rests in your hands.​

QpQJBxA.jpg

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP. Not wild about the game. They pushed a patch about eight hours ago that retroactively deactivated my fast travel points (the map is awful without fast travel, but fast travel is awful too), which made it hard to capture some footage I wanted. Worse still, I actually wasted like an hour trying to unlock fast travel points (it's tedious) and... when I unlocked one of the fast travel Overseers, the game kept telling me I hadn't actually unlocked any fast travel points. So, uh, yeah, fast travel is completely broken, which is a problem, since the game's map isn't fun to navigate and it'd be nice to fast travel. It's probably 10-11 hours long for the critical path, assuming all the times you die or have to reload saves because you glitched are taken into account. Quests all seem to be fetch quests, nothing particularly memorable. IGN should have my review up in a day or so.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP. Not wild about the game. They pushed a patch about eight hours ago that retroactively deactivated my fast travel points (the map is awful without fast travel, but fast travel is awful too), which made it hard to capture some footage I wanted. Worse still, I actually wasted like an hour trying to unlock fast travel points (it's tedious) and... when I unlocked one of the fast travel Overseers, the game kept telling me I hadn't actually unlocked any fast travel points. So, uh, yeah, fast travel is completely broken, which is a problem, since the game's map isn't fun to navigate and it'd be nice to fast travel. It's probably 10-11 hours long for the critical path, assuming all the times you die or have to reload saves because you glitched are taken into account. Quests all seem to be fetch quests, nothing particularly memorable. IGN should have my review up in a day or so.
You're writing for IGN now? Congrats!

Re: game, that sounds like it could be disappointing, considering they got Witcher 3's senior quest designer working on it. Hopefully the mechanics make up for that, but the comment about navigation doesn't sound promising either

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I reviewed Bomber Crew and I'm reviewing this. Dunno if they'll let me review more, but I'm hopeful.

I did not like the game at all, but I don't wanna spoil the review either. I don't think patching can salvage it. I guess The Witcher 3's lead quest designer isn't the person who did its best quests, but the person who did all the "find circles on the map and wander in 'em until your bat-vision finds the item you need to interact with." :|

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I was excited for this too. You and I have pretty similar tastes game/game design-wise, so it's a shame to hear this sounds like it turned out disappointing

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I leaped at the chance to review it because it sounded amazing and had good pedigree.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for more impressions.

I never tend to fast travel in open world games and lean towards preferring more "old skool" game design so keen to hear about all the other mechanics at play.

What's the skill tree/leveling system like? Is it really in depth and do you have to live by your choices upon leveling?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Quests all seem to be fetch quests, nothing particularly memorable.

Like the quest when you are transferred to the local prison camp (prison on prison island, lol) and you have to sneak around and do everything without your items and powers?

Or like the quest where you help 2 thieves rob a train?

Or a quest that you stumble upon while exploring - to save a strange man from being held captive by some weird monks?

Or the whole side chain-quest starting with discovering that you're being hunted by someone?

About fast travel - I actually like it. There are 4 or 5 "train routes" on the island, so there are as many terminals to hack. Doing so unlocks the fast travel on that specific route (that's why you probably couldn't fast travel as you say - it was a different route). Getting to those terminals requires flawless stealth. Some might say it's "tedious" or something. I like the challenge. It took me around 20 minutes to just do one enemy camp (these terminals are surrounded by at least 20-30 enemies so combat isn't an option) but it was satisfying.

I also like the stealth itself. Enemies often have different patrol patterns, you can fast-forward time, and of course there is a parkour system.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like the quest when you are transferred to the local prison camp (prison on prison island, lol) and you have to sneak around and do everything without your items and powers?

Or a quest that you stumble upon while exploring - to save a strange man from being held captive by some weird monks?

Or the whole side chain-quest starting with discovering that you're being hunted by someone?

About fast travel - I actually like it. There are 4 or 5 "train routes" on the island, so there are as many terminals to hack. Doing so unlocks the fast travel on that specific route (that's why you probably couldn't fast travel as you say - it was a different route). Getting to those terminals requires flawless stealth. Some might say it's "tedious" or something. I like the challenge. It took me around 20 minutes to just do one enemy camp (these terminals are surrounded by at least 20-30 enemies so combat isn't an option) but it was satisfying.

I also like the stealth itself. Enemies often have different patrol patterns, you can fast-forward time, and of course there is a parkour system.

How deep are the skill tree and loot systems in this game?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017

There's a lot of trash you gather to use it in crafting. Crafting itself is a little messy... You can find quite a lot of weapons and armour types - mainly by killing people and taking their stuff. But you don't really find "treasure chests" with great weapons etc. It's a prison island after all. But you can use crafting to upgrade your stuff.

Skill system is unique. There's no leveling. You find skills while exploring - by interacting with some weird consoles. You then can put any skills in a skill tree if you have enough special flasks that fuel your ability to get stronger.

Last edited:

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about starting a thread about this a few weeks ago. It looks really awesome.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't even encounter a couple of those quests, but yeah, the ones I did find were all dull fetch quests. None of them were memorable, even the one with two thieves.

When you unlock a fast travel point on the map, it turns blue. Today, none of the fast travel points were blue. They were all white, which is the color they are when you discover but cannot access them. Checking multiple fast travel points throughout the map revealed that none of them were unlocked, despite my then going and unlocking some points at a terminal. None of them, including ones that were nearby, turned blue. All remained locked. It's definitely a bug.

Kinda like the bug where I was doing parkour, just climbing up a cliff, and died for no reason. Or the bug where I was climbing down some rocks and got stuck in a t-pose. Or the bug where stabbing an enemy gave him 100% health. Or the bug where loading on a save sometimes sees you stuck with the status effect that killed you, or spawns a ton of enemies right next to you even though they weren't there when you saved, or spawns you mid-way through a fight with a boss but he's at full health even though the arena's transformed and toxic... you get the idea, right?

I got a 39 dmg sword at the start of the game and it was the best weapon I had, other than a blue gun (which didn't do nearly as much damage despite being 60 damage), until one of the bosses near the end of the game. Most loot seems to be like... within a weird 5-point range of each other? Like, there's no power growth or anything. I killed a thug in the first city, and his gear had better stats than most stuff. Like, I almost never needed to change gear, ever. I only changed gear 'cause it looked cool, mostly. Combat never seemed to change based on my gear. There isn't a lot of it, what there is isn't really... like... that statistically different. It's really bizarre. There's no leveling, everything's kinda flat, and the stats just don't have a lot of range, so there's rarely a reason to actually change gear. I'd hoped maybe putting on enemy gear would give me a disguise, but it didn't appear to.

None of the ranged weapons felt good to use; you'd think a 60 damage gun would be way better than a 39 damage dual polymer sword, but no, no, the sword will ruin anyone you use it on, the gun hit like a feather duster.

As for the skill tree, the powers aren't really exciting (time slow, teleport, that kind of thing). There's a ton of flexibility, no need to commit to anything. To level, you find stuff called 'nectar' in the world (some is hard to get, some is just sitting next to a log in the swamp), and you use it to buy powers and upgrades. I had a lot more fun with Divinity: Original Sin 2 or even most Diablo ripoffs I've played. The game's only awesome element, imo, is the climbing, which is great except for when it bugs out. I was trying to steal a helmet for one of the main path quests, and my dude got stuck on a ledge, shaking up and down repeatedly before suddenly falling to his death.

I thought this was gonna be amazing. I was real bummed out.

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I got a 39 dmg sword at the start of the game and it was the best weapon I had, other than a blue gun (which didn't do nearly as much damage despite being 60 damage), until one of the bosses near the end of the game. Most loot seems to be like... within a weird 5-point range of each other? Like, there's no power growth or anything. I killed a thug in the first city, and his gear had better stats than most stuff. Like, I almost never needed to change gear, ever. I only changed gear 'cause it looked cool, mostly. Combat never seemed to change based on my gear.

After 4 hours I've got an 56 dmg axe. I then upgrade it (weapons have upgrade slots) so it was 67 dmg. Also - combat do change, because different weapons have different special attacks. You have this big leap attack with an axe, but with polearm you've got aoe spinning attack. Also collecting skills is a power growth, isn't it? At the beginning I couldn't handle jumping from high places, but now after I found some skill upgrades, I have something like "Special Acrobatics III" and I can jump down from stuff more easily and without taking fall dmg.

About bugs - yup, there are bugs. Which sucks. The worst thing about it is that some people will encounter them and some won't. For example I haven't encountered anything that made me stuck, die or heal an enemy but I saw some enemies run into the wall and vanish.

But I must say your idea of "fetch quests" is weird. Maybe do not use this term because people will think all quests are literally "Bring me X of these" or "Kill X enemies" which they ar not.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
After 4 hours I've got an 56 dmg axe. I then upgrade it (weapons have upgrade slots) so it was 67 dmg. Also - combat do change, because different weapons have different special attacks. You have this big leap attack with an axe, but with polearm you've got aoe spinning attack. Also collecting skills is a power growth, isn't it? At the beginning I couldn't handle jumping from high places, but now after I found some skill upgrades, I have something like "Special Acrobatics III" and I can jump down from stuff more easily and without taking fall dmg.

About bugs - yup, there are bugs. Which sucks. The worst thing about it is that some people will encounter them and some won't. For example I haven't encountered anything that made me stuck, die or heal an enemy but I saw some enemies run into the wall and vanish.

But I must say your idea of "fetch quests" is weird. Maybe do not use this term because people will think all quests are literally "Bring me X of these" or "Kill X enemies" which they ar not.

Oh yeah, I modded my 39 damage swords too, but I'm just talking about the actual damage of stuff you find in the world; it's not like you're gonna start the game with a 10 damage sword and end with a 5000 damage sword. You're going to start with like 35-40, and the weapon you get at the end is probably gonna drop around there too (the final boss dropped a weapon weaker than the boss before him by a handful of points). You can mod it a bit. But it's not like you're ever gonna get Diablo style legendary affixes or something. It's just a number that goes up a little bit.

I don't really feel like "the spear does this and the axe does this and the swords do this" is really meaningfully different. I'm not fundamentally changing how I play compared to the Helsing or Diablo style games this emulates. Like, I could go back through the campaign and use completely different weapons and it wouldn't be that much different. Main thing is that I OHKO'd the final boss with a leap attack with the spear I got from one of the bosses, when the swords basically didn't do anything.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I just saw this game on Steam and was immediately intrigued since I've been looking for another isometric game to play following Divinity: OS2 (I understand the gameplay isn't similar). The screenshots and gameplay descirptions are really selling me on the game, but the gameplay videos released by the developer are undoing all of that work for me. The few videos I just clicked through made it seem rather generic. I'll have to watch a bit of someone else playing this before I pick it up myself.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Too bad about the bad impressions from DocSeuss above, but that Gamestar review sounds good to me. Also controller support in isometric RPGs is such a rarity, I'd like to reward them for catering to us controller users.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got a 39 dmg sword at the start of the game and it was the best weapon I had, other than a blue gun (which didn't do nearly as much damage despite being 60 damage), until one of the bosses near the end of the game. Most loot seems to be like... within a weird 5-point range of each other? Like, there's no power growth or anything. I killed a thug in the first city, and his gear had better stats than most stuff. Like, I almost never needed to change gear, ever. I only changed gear 'cause it looked cool, mostly. Combat never seemed to change based on my gear. There isn't a lot of it, what there is isn't really... like... that statistically different. It's really bizarre. There's no leveling, everything's kinda flat, and the stats just don't have a lot of range, so there's rarely a reason to actually change gear. I'd hoped maybe putting on enemy gear would give me a disguise, but it didn't appear to.

None of the ranged weapons felt good to use; you'd think a 60 damage gun would be way better than a 39 damage dual polymer sword, but no, no, the sword will ruin anyone you use it on, the gun hit like a feather duster.

As for the skill tree, the powers aren't really exciting (time slow, teleport, that kind of thing). There's a ton of flexibility, no need to commit to anything. To level, you find stuff called 'nectar' in the world (some is hard to get, some is just sitting next to a log in the swamp), and you use it to buy powers and upgrades. I had a lot more fun with Divinity: Original Sin 2 or even most Diablo ripoffs I've played. The game's only awesome element, imo, is the climbing, which is great except for when it bugs out. I was trying to steal a helmet for one of the main path quests, and my dude got stuck on a ledge, shaking up and down repeatedly before suddenly falling to his death.

I thought this was gonna be amazing. I was real bummed out.

There's a lot of trash you gather to use it in crafting. Crafting itself is a little messy... You can find quite a lot of weapons and armour types - mainly by killing people and taking their stuff. But you don't really find "treasure chests" with great weapons etc. It's a prison island after all. But you can use crafting to upgrade your stuff.

Skill system is unique. There's no leveling. You find skills while exploring - by interacting with some weird consoles. You then can put any skills in a skill tree if you have enough special flasks that fuel your ability to get stronger.

Thanks for the detailed impressions guys. Differing views in this thread but I think I'm just going to go for it. It's well priced on CDKeys and the gameplay videos look interesting enough so no reason not to.

Story trailer:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
When you unlock a fast travel point on the map, it turns blue. Today, none of the fast travel points were blue. They were all white, which is the color they are when you discover but cannot access them. Checking multiple fast travel points throughout the map revealed that none of them were unlocked, despite my then going and unlocking some points at a terminal. None of them, including ones that were nearby, turned blue. All remained locked. It's definitely a bug.

Kinda like the bug where I was doing parkour, just climbing up a cliff, and died for no reason. Or the bug where I was climbing down some rocks and got stuck in a t-pose. Or the bug where stabbing an enemy gave him 100% health. Or the bug where loading on a save sometimes sees you stuck with the status effect that killed you, or spawns a ton of enemies right next to you even though they weren't there when you saved, or spawns you mid-way through a fight with a boss but he's at full health even though the arena's transformed and toxic... you get the idea, right?
This game needs more Polish?

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
This game needs more Polish?

Even if it was so well polished that they did, in fact, spell words like "bourbon" correctly in game (I think they spell it burbon? There's some other typos)... I mean, I'm not sure that solves the lack of visual clarity that plagues the map, the general quest design (I played a handful of quests and did the entire critical path), the art design, and so on. This is a game that doesn't start by telling you why you should care, it starts by explaining the politics and history of the world. It's a game where the combat is weak and uninspired (I did not exhaustively test every single weapon in the game, but I played with most major archetypes I saw). It's a game that acts like it has a loot system, but doesn't, really. So much of it is what I'd consider questionable design choices. I don't think that even if they polished it to perfection it would be a great game. I wanted it to be. I came in with reasonable expectations (great idea, probably some jank!). It got to a point where I was having so little fun that I thought about asking to be removed from the assignment.

And I'm the guy who has fought through and enjoyed plenty of not-great games, like Risen 2. I've got a great tolerance for jank.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Oh sweet, I was about to post about the release in the old thread when I found this. Downloading, can't wait, hope it's good!

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I tried this at Pax East and really enjoyed the combat. I'm not a fan of open world but was willing to give this game a shot.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the visuals of the game are really something. It has this strange kind of FF7 Midgar / Bladerunner blended atmosphere that I really love.

Chilling in the rafters of some cyberpunk warehouse with the ambient noise and music is really cool. I dig what I've played so far, combat seems quite open to manipulating the situation how you want.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews seem reasonable for the most part. Seeing lots of 80's going around. Seems like performance problems and fast travel glitches are the main complaints, but I'm sure that'll get patched up. 11h+ also sounds perfect for me right now.

Decided to pick this up, will be testing it over the weekend.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got their key from CDKeys yet?

My download link is still saying it's a pre-order blah blah...

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got their key from CDKeys yet?

My download link is still saying it's a pre-order blah blah...
They are a key reseller, and don't get the keys from the publishers themselves. Probably didn't stock up beforehand and just assumed they would be able to get the keys later. I've had the same thing from Play-Asia and other resellers.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this game has music by Marcin Przybylowicz and Gavin "Miracle of Sound" Dunne, which means it is a must buy for that alone.

Well that and the really cool mixture of genres it features. And good reviews.

Wheelsner

Oct 27, 2017
London
Picked this up today after seeing this thread and remembering it existed.

I've enjoyed what little I've played so far. However, might hold fire for a bit before really digging in and see how may of these issues get fixed with patches.

Aside from being a little rough round the edges (which I don't have any problem with) my issues in the first 1-2 hours are purely technical.

Framerate absolutely tanks once you get to the main island. Went from 90-144fps ultra settings at 1440p in the tutorial/intro mission to sometimes less than 30 now.

Agreed - went from stable 100fps to between 38 and 60 once I reached the second island. It's not game breaking on a gsync monitor but the constant fluctuations are definitely distracting.

Also it doesn't play particularly nicely with 21:9 monitors (at least if you want to run it in a ultra-wide resolution). By default its VERT - which I don't usually have an issue with, but here loosing a significant chunk of vertical space makes stealth more challenging that it should be even when zoomed out as far as possible. This can be fixed with an .ini edit but that messes up the default FOV making everything very small. That can be fixed using cheat engine but doing so causes minor issues with some menus such as the inventory screen.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How exactly are disguises meant to work? Used one in the first area and nearly everyone decided to act like me making the slightest noise was worth investigating, which of course makes them trigger their suspicion gauge because they all come running up to you. They're good for cameras, at least, but they seem kind of annoying with the distance at which guards will come investigate simply like walking around.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Looks interesting. Still looking for something to grab me after Divinity: Original Sin 2. Gonna wait for a couple of patches before diving in, though.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ill quote myself from the steam thread:

so after stumbling around and dying alot, finished the first mission in Seven. Some quick thoughts

-I didnt know the universe was cybermancy, I thought it was just cyberpunk but it involves magic and monsters and shit.
-Love the art style, jsut the overall look of the game. Runs great maxed out, but character movement can be a bit janky. Jank is a theme so far, I had to check if the devs were european (lol) and they are (LOL).
-The tutorial is HORRIBLE. You have access to a million things the game never tells you about, hence why I stumbled so badly in the first mission. I kinda want to restart just to see how it goes a second time around with the shit I know now after reading the in game text tutorial in the options (which is good mind you, its just that the game never tells you any of this as you are playing...the tutorial mission. Maybe we are just too used to hand holding these days :/
-For example, I didnt know how to so I assumed there was no kill from behind, which would be strange for a stealth game. But there is, you just dont get any indication over the enemy head or something. Also kill from above as expected. I didnt do either because I only read about them when I was just about to finish the mission.
-You have a bunch of gadgets (electricity mine, smoke grenade, distraction grenade, etc) and melee and ranged weapons. Also a drill to open locks.
-You can pickpocket. A lot.
-Combat is light attack, heavy attack, on a stamina system. There are dodges and rolls, and you can even attack out of a dodge, roll or sprint (not that the tutorial tells you any of it...I mean maybe it does later I dunno)
-Missions seem INCREDIBLY open ended. I had to deactivate this security thing, which was in a small tower building, which I could have gone from the front door, but I climbed up the roof and entered the sky light. It was a neat moment because I thought "oh I wonder if that skylight is just for show or u can enter it" and sure enough I could. Im not sure if you can get out that way tho, the isometric perspective makes it weird when you enter buildings.
-Speaking off, the whole thing feels like a isometric assassins creed (lots of parkour) mixed with isometric Hitman. Or Thief I guess.
-Lot's of dialogue, voice acting is...alright. Its fine.
-Theres a ton of loot, you can loot fucking everything, most of it is junk which I assume is to sell. You can loot bodies. There is equipment with stats. There are skills and augments.
-Going back to the missions being open ended, the last part of the mission was this mig mansion. I had to look around for a office with the objective. Tons of guards, first I tried to sneak around and failed hard. One time I got into a giant spider display and well, a giant spider showed up. This alerted the guards and they came to fuck me up along with the spider. The cool thing was, they were fighting the spider, so I wonder if you can trigger it and hide so they fight it.
-Oh yeah theres giant spiders lol.
-So in the end I just said fuck this, climbed some boxes, climbed onto the vents (not inside the vents, like above) and walked my way across the whole place until I got to the office. And that was super cool that I could do just that, like a proper thief.
-Also there is "detective vision"

This is all just from the first mission so im sure theres alot more shit. Feel free to ask anything I might have missed. Initil impressions after about 1 hour:

Cool as shit.
Eurojanky as shit.
Seems to have all the tools a game like this should have and more.

Welp, that mission sure was much faster now that I know how to backstab fools. Also, you know how I said shit was open ended, and I went to a tower before to deactivate some shit etc? I just bypassed all that this time, I smoked a fool that was guarding a hole in the fence, and just went straight to the mansion. This even skips a little story bit where your partner blows something up to distract all the guards to one place. Which meant all those guards were near the mansion this time. Cool cool shit!

Also seems to have varied environements also, just in the start it already went from
blade runner-esque
, to more
Thief like mansion
to now a
riddick style prison

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
that second post was when I decided to retry the first mission with knowledge that the game never gives you (except in the options tutorial), my only real nitpick with the game so far. Well, and the jank.