• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's generally not a good idea to use thread replies as a barometer for the importance of a topic. That's a very simplistic and reductive way of looking at forum dynamics.

A thread like this doesn't really invite the kind of superfluous one sentence hot takes the way current events/pop culture threads do. I reckon most realize that this is a serious topic but don't really have anything insightful to add.
Yet we can look at all the other serious topics involving other topics, and they easily hit 10-12 pages.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Sansa in GoT getting raped? Outrage. Someone getting their dick cut off in the same show? Hilarious (apparently).

Neither were funny, both were plays of power and control. The dick chopping was made fun of with prop comedy (sausage waving), there would be even more of an uproar if Sansas scene was followed by clams being cracked open in a suggestive manner.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
That Get Hard clip reminded me that there's often also a racial component to these jokes, the "big black guy in prison". I think it was in the new True Detective season too, though it was used as an intimidation for the suspect (oh seems like this was used in the video). No doubt many people watching still found it funny too.

Also when it comes to prison rape, many people don't really even see it as a problem. It's part of the "punishment" for them, they see it as deserved.

For True Detective new season, actually, the show acknowledge it and the other cop makes fun of Mahershala Ali's character for using that thing a little too much, so in that particular case this is actually used to characterize a negative aspect of the character i think.

Also the vid forgot about FFVII!

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
They were intended to be sick, offensive jokes. They weren't particularly funny, it's fair to say they were terribly misjudged and outright trash, but that's not a crime. Each instance needs to be judged on context and intent.

Otherwise it's a slope that leads to censorship of comedy tackling any difficult or sensitive subject.
How do you figure that? If people react badly to a joke then they have a right to voice that distaste. There was no "higher meaning" to that "comedy", no satire, no point other than the "I said things that upset people and it's funny because you aren't supposed to say it". He's no George Carlin(not talking about humor but of there being a point to the vulgarity past shock value).

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to James Gunn, I do realize that his case was specifically alt-right smear campaign, but the whole "don't judge offensive comedians otherwise it's censorship" is a bullshit tactic used to excuse low quality comedians and spineless assholes. Shock humor stopped being funny when we were 12, and nowadays is just an excuse.

And it isn't censorship when you put out content(be it a movie, a game, or a joke in a tweet) and the audience reacts negatively to it. You have a right to say whatever you like in public. And we as the public have the right to respond positively or negatively in kind.

Nov 18, 2017
, but the whole "don't judge offensive comedians otherwise it's censorship" is a bullshit tactic used to excuse low quality comedians and spineless assholes. Shock humor stopped being funny when we were 12, and nowadays is just an excuse.

There are still 12 year olds. Just because your tastes have matured doesn't mean there isn't a market for that sort of thing. I'd also argue on some level that kind of humour can be a subversive vessel for truth-to-power... but absolutely not in the case those Gunn tweets.

And it isn't censorship when you put out content(be it a movie, a game, or a joke in a tweet) and the audience reacts negatively to it. You have a right to say whatever you like in public. And we as the public have the right to respond positively or negatively in kind.

Yes, totally agree.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
There are still 12 year olds. Just because your tastes have matured doesn't mean there isn't a market for that sort of thing. I'd also argue on some level that kind of humour can be a subversive vessel for truth-to-power... but absolutely not in the case those Gunn tweets.

Yes, totally agree.
He was in his 30s when he made those "jokes". And just because it's "something 12 year olds do" doesn't mean it's something that be accepted or condoned. That's basically the age when those bad habits get cemented.

Nov 18, 2017
He was in his 30s when he made those "jokes". And just because it's "something 12 year olds do" doesn't mean it's something that be accepted or condoned. That's basically the age when those bad habits get cemented.

He was in his 30's making Troma movies. Slightly different circumstances as they're all about pushing the boundaries of taste. Just hypothesizing where that mindset might come from. I think the tweets were horrid, but I can give him the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 26, 2017
Neither were funny, both were plays of power and control. The dick chopping was made fun of with prop comedy (sausage waving), there would be even more of an uproar if Sansas scene was followed by clams being cracked open in a suggestive manner.
People weren't laughing at it but there was definitely a strong indifference to Theon having his genitals cut off that you would quite honestly never see if the equiviliant happened with a woman. Somehow male sexual assault and mutiliation (how many times have we heard jokes or off-hand remarks about a scorned woman chopping off her boyfriend or husband's penis?) have become far too accepted.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I never saw the first thread on this. Just watched the youtube. It was pretty damn good stuff. I really want to watch part 2.

Oct 28, 2017
It's generally not a good idea to use thread replies as a barometer for the importance of a topic. That's a very simplistic and reductive way of looking at forum dynamics.

A thread like this doesn't really invite the kind of superfluous one sentence hot takes the way current events/pop culture threads do. I reckon most realize that this is a serious topic but don't really have anything insightful to add.
No, you can totally use trending engagement on topics to get a sense of how important they are to the group. It doesn't mean the group doesn't agree with the view. But it can indicate that the topic is t a priority.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent video. Seeing all of these example back-to-back is really enlightening to how pervasive this trope is. This video also further solidifies how much of an amazing man Terry Crews is. What an absolute boss, and what a real, genuine guy.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
Until more men expect a change in thought and ask better of how they and other men act its going to remain a thought that a "real man" can't truly be sexually violated/harassed (he has to enjoy it/i wish my teacher wanted to have sex with me/lucky guy/he had it coming).

Its an easy grab for laughs because masculinity is made cheap by toxic behavior and stereotypes about what it means to be a man. it also dosent help on the other side of thought that men have often been the abuser, so in turn when they are the abused its somehow entertaining or isnt serious. which just reinforces the thinking that if you are an abused male its because your weak/wrong.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Married with children valentine's day massacre episode, an overweight female was literally raping any male that knocked on her hotel door... followed by big laughs.

Heres Bud emerging fresh from an assult, with tattered clothes and bruises

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Until more men expect a change in thought and ask better of how they and other men act its going to remain a thought that a "real man" can't truly be sexually violated/harassed (he has to enjoy it/i wish my teacher wanted to have sex with me/lucky guy/he had it coming).

Its an easy grab for laughs because masculinity is made cheap by toxic behavior and stereotypes about what it means to be a man. it also dosent help on the other side of thought that men have often been the abuser, so in turn when they are the abused its somehow entertaining or isnt serious. which just reinforces the thinking that if you are an abused male its because your weak/wrong.

It doesn't help that a lot of sexual assault and rape laws are written specifically for women and not for blanket victims of the crime. It would be so easy to make laws to protect everyone but to go out of your way to exclude men just doesn't make sense.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's certainly a problem I think. Male aimed rape jokes are so extremely common people are just used to them, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't the origin of so many people mocking women who come forward with their experiences. It's needs to be done away with if we want progress for both men and women. Excellent video.