• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Our initial inspiration to create the piece was through witnessing its use in recent months as a powerful protest image.

How the hell do you look at a sexualized handmaid costume as anything other than pandering to misogynist pieces of shit? The women protesting in handmaid costumes were attacking the objectification of women, not promoting it.

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Not as bad as I thought it'd be. Remove the head thing and you got a decent dress going on.

Still kind of many levels of wrong considering the inspirational source.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Tasteless costumes are nothing new but I can't really see most women (who have seen the show) knowingly wearing this for a fun night out.

MajinArekkusu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Still haven't seen the show, really want to, but I assume these ones are a exaggerated representation of the ones in the show right?

Edit; Okay nevermind saw the pic of the show ones, which are basically full on robes.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
tenor.gif

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
This is in such poor taste. Yandy should be completely embarrassed for okaying this.

And some of the responses here are just as dreadful, yikes.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
obviously companies can pull whatever they want from the shelves at their discretion. Perhaps I'm desensitized though but as problematic costumes go this barely registers, and strikes me as someone trying to be ironic more than anything. If we banned all the costumes depicting fictional characters (male or female) that were in poor taste then a lot of people would be out of ideas, lol

If anyone has the chutzpah to wear this and evokes a 'positive' reaction other than male and/or female arousal (if that is one of the intentions) then good on them I guess. Better to just go with something else though to avoid potentially getting the stinkeye or having to akwardly explain yourself all night.

Last edited:

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
The responses here tell me half of yall have never read the book in high school or college and that is really depressing for me.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
obviously companies can pull whatever they want from the shelves at their discretion. Perhaps I'm desenistized though but as a problematic costumes go this barely registers, and strikes me as someone trying to be ironic more than anything. If we banned all the costumes depicting fictional characters (male or female) that were in poor taste then a lot of people would be out of ideas, lol

If anyone has the chutzpah to wear this and evokes a 'positive' reaction other than male and/or female arousal (if that is one of the intentions) then good on them I guess
Pretty much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt a woman would be wearing this because they believe in/endorse women's oppression and rape. I'm sure it would be worn ironically and in jest because it's freaking Halloween. Unless someone is being downright derogatory in their costumes, does anyone actually take them seriously?

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
The TV show is great but also makes me feel like shit because of how depressing and fucked up it is (and I can imagine it would be even worse if I was a woman). With that context in mind, I'm trying to wrap my head around how this came to be. But I guess in some people's minds "popular tv show + sexy = money" no matter what.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Handmaid's Tale TV show was a Downton Abbey spin-off.

Random factoid Elizabeth McGovern from Downton Abbey was in the 90's version of The Handmaid's Tale.

I finished school by the time the book came out, to be honest I never even heard of it until the TV show made waves.

Would give it a read if you have some time. It's depressing as hell, but worth checking off the "Have You Read ____" list.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be honest, I like 'sexy halloween', and if women WANT to dress sexy for it, sure, why not..so whatever, I'm all for it...I don't watch the show, and if I was at a party where someone wore this I'd think "Thats a weird looking hot nurse".

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
"Over the last few hours, it has become obvious that [the costume] is being seen as a symbol of women's oppression, rather than empowerment. This is unfortunate as it was not our intention on any level. Our initial inspiration to create the piece was through witnessing its use in recent months as a powerful protest image. Given the sincere, heartfelt response, supported by numerous personal stories we've received, we are removing the costume from our site."

I think this response is fair. All the people who didn't understand why anyone would care, will continue to not care in regards to the resolution, right?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I really dont understand why people give a shit about Halloween costumes.

Halloween is about two things and two things only: tits and candy.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think this response is fair. All the people who didn't understand why anyone would care, will continue to not care in regards to the resolution, right?
Given the show is fictional and not a documentary, sure. Tons of costumes are based on unsavory fictional things. Even real ones too. But whatever, not like I was lining up to buy it.

You have to watch the show to understand
Women are constantly demeaned and raped in those costumes
Its kinda sickening
I've seen the show. The point of the uniforms in the show is to force the women to be modest along with having their owner easily identified. This costume completely flouts that given it's not modest at all.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I don't think the world will be prepared this Halloween for my Batman in a thong costume with an assortment of cock attachments and me pulling Robin on a dog leash.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
" it has become obvious that [the costume] is being seen as a symbol of women's oppression, rather than empowerment"

jackiechanwtf.jpg

If you even spent 5 minutes understanding what it is, and why they are wearing it you could never come to this conclusion.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Looks like they essentially just repackaged a "sexy" red riding hood costume.

If the internet gets in a big uproar about this they'll sell very well.

Where is my sexy Thanos costume???

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A strange number of "never seen the show but that's hot/I'm okay with it" posts in here.

"It's just a show/Halloween costume" isn't untrue but these are sexy versions of costumes worn by characters who are regular victims of institutional rape. Come on.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty dumb idea that probably shouldn't have been made in the first place, but not much more than that. Their response to me just makes me roll my eyes, how companies nowadays give in all the time to complaints and protests:

"Over the last few hours, it has become obvious that [the costume] is being seen as a symbol of women's oppression, rather than empowerment. This is unfortunate as it was not our intention on any level. Our initial inspiration to create the piece was through witnessing its use in recent months as a powerful protest image. Given the sincere, heartfelt response, supported by numerous personal stories we've received, we are removing the costume from our site."

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
A strange number of "never seen the show but that's hot/I'm okay with it" posts in here.

"It's just a show/Halloween costume" isn't untrue but these are sexy versions of costumes worn by characters who are regular victims of institutional rape. Come on.

I don't think it helps that the costume could be a dozen other things and the pictures look absolutely nothing like the show, but I definitely get why people don't like the idea of it.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
No context given in the OP... so I didn't understand the outrage. Now that I read the Wiki on the show... I still don't really get the big deal. The costume itself seems to be an antithesis of the show... But if it's been pulled then ok.

This is even worse than I originally imagined.

It is the equivalent of making sexy burqas.

Do those exist?

Yes they do exist and now that you put it in that perspective, I kinda understand now.
Sexy-Burka-Middle-Eastern-Arab-Girl-Costume-Sexy-Halloween-Fancy-Dress-Costume-Lingerie-NC340.jpg_640x640.jpg

But the show is fictional so... does this rise to the level where it truly needed to be pulled?

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this even serious? This is stupid...stupid internet outrage.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I finished school by the time the book came out, to be honest I never even heard of it until the TV show made waves.

It is really worth read. Not very long, I managed to get through it in a weekend or so. It's very upsetting, but something you should read at least once. I just read it for the first time a few months ago.

Very terrifying.