• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
People need to read more.

Some people have been really moved by the story and themes, but I'm sure for some it will just be another story or TV show without much significance beyond the time spent with it.

The story is jjust not my cup of tea, but I do understand why the outfit caused a stink even if I didn't have much of a reaction when I saw it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Sexist concern trolling and inflammatory false equivalences.
The success of books and movies like fifty shades of grey shows that less mainstream sexual options are not entirely niche. I would expect a lot of women will be into things like submission/domination, fantasy role play including subject matters that perhaps the majority would find tasteless.

That doesn't make it wrong.

If someone is into submission for example - does that make them a weak person? Or simply someone that chooses to enact that during sex play?

Those in here decrying this as demeaning to women are effectively deciding what is best for them

Last edited:

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
User banned (1 week): sexist concern trolling, inflammatory equivalences
The success of books and movies like fifty shades of grey shows that less mainstream sexual options are not entirely niche. I would expect a lot of women will be into things like submission/domination, fantasy role play including subject matters that perhaps the majority would find tasteless.

If someone is into submission for example - does that make them a weak person? Or simply someone that chooses to enact that during sex play?

Those in here decrying this as demeaning to women are also arguably oppressing women by limiting what they are allowed to express

I wouldn't go as far as 'no YOU'RE the ones oppressing women' but I do think those who are immediately jumping to condemn this are overlooking the fact that people's sexual fantasies and their political opinions don't always coincide, in fact in my experience they have nothing in common at all. Sometimes, that's part of the reason they exist. Sometimes, the reason is an utter mystery.

This outfit does nothing for me, I've seen the show and I get why people would say 'ugh so disgusting' but then you've got to consider, there will be women out there who are into this and nobody really owes anyone an explanation for that kind of thing. I might think it's a bit goofy, you can't help that, but I'm not going to actually seriously judge anybody for being into it. How is it my business?

It's called kink. More people than you expect are into non-vanilla sex stuff. Judging it out of hand just makes you look like a bit of an ignorant prude.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go as far as 'no YOU'RE the ones oppressing women' but I do think those who are immediately jumping to condemn this are overlooking the fact that people's sexual fantasies and their political opinions don't always coincide, in fact in my experience they have nothing in common at all. Sometimes, that's part of the reason they exist. Sometimes, the reason is an utter mystery.

Thanks - edited to adjust that part

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

Those in here decrying this as demeaning to women are effectively deciding what is best for them

"People who choose to submit sexually are powerful and strong and do not deserve to be demeaned. That's why I'm going to compare them to rape and slavery forced on someone without a choice. Because they're exactly the same thing and you guys are the ones who are demeaning their kink."

Please explain.

Rosen

Oct 25, 2017
This outfit does nothing for me, I've seen the show and I get why people would say 'ugh so disgusting' but then you've got to consider, there will be women out there who are into this and nobody really owes anyone an explanation for that kind of thing. I might think it's a bit goofy, you can't help that, but I'm not going to actually seriously judge anybody for being into it. How is it my business?

It's called kink. More people than you expect are into non-vanilla sex stuff. Judging it out of hand just makes you look like a bit of an ignorant prude.
Yes there maybe women aroused in this hypothetical fantasy, and what you enjoy kink wise is nothing that people should take umbridge with but using that to justify something that represents severe oppression and violence under sex sells? However stating that because your hypothetical women enjoys it is completely a non issue. Which is clearly false given it was pulled based on response from the public. Please see Morri's post below:
It's funny how eager some of you are to staunchly defend the hypothetical women (none of which have come forward yet) wanting to wear this costume, all whilst subtly criticizing all of us actually chiming in here saying this costume is awful (and making sure to tell us we don't speak for all women, of course) when in fact there was enough of an uproar that the store itself actually removed the costume.

Hell, if there was such a demand for those free-thinking women, you'd think they would have kept the costume in their store anyway for all that $$$.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As someone who is submissive, the fact that you're trying to tie this costume to BDSM is ridiculous. There's a large difference between something meant for kink wear and a company mass marketing a symbol of women's oppression as a sexy Halloween costume.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

I'd say there's bit of a difference what people do in their personal bedrooms compared to partying in public. Or what company produces and sells. Also while I think people should be free to wear what they want and feel comfortable with, I would still call out people for being tone-deaf or insensitive. Even when they are women, that shouldn't affect it at all. What they do in their bedrooms (or wherever they fuck) is none of my business and just needs to stay consensual.