• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MOD EDIT: This is a thread about a costume that sexually objectifies women from a show about brutal female oppression. Admitting that you do not know or understand the themes of the show while at the same time praising the costume adds nothing to the discussion and ignores the topic at hand. Further posts like this will be moderated as drivebys.

https://www.bustle.com/p/sexy-handm...this-is-your-reminder-to-please-dont-11975813

I mean....

Last edited by a moderator:

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Never seen the show. But that costume looks good. I know it's about rape or something tho. So it maybe in bad taste.

I've seen worse 'sexy' costumes tho.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"An upsetting dystopian future has emerged where women no longer have a say," Yandy's costume listing states. "However, we say be bold and speak your mind in this exclusive Brave Red Maiden costume."

Jesus

Oct 27, 2017
8XuHGBL.jpg

Op should probably include an actual picture from the show. They're supposed to mimic burkas so it's pretty weird to turn them into sexy dresses. That being said if my wife wore it I'd prolly go for it but I'd also go for her in a burka so shrug emoji.

Nov 2, 2017
I don't get the whole 'don't wear this' thing in the article. Dressing up as something for Halloween is not an endorsement. If someone wants to wear it, that's their choice. If I dressed up as a demon, it isn't an endorsement of Satan.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean it is kinda tasteless... but still it is just from a fictional TV-show. It is not like a 'sexy concentration camp' costume.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a show, strange idea for a costume but not inherently offensive. Now stuff like that Anne Frank kids costume is worse

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
There are sexy costumes for just about everything. Sexy nurse, sexy hairdresser, sexy nun...and so forth. This is just a TV show, not something that isn't fictional.

Someone's trying to make money off of the show, not openly endorsing rape. The women who buy it also get freedom of choice as to whether they wear it or not.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously this symbol of female oppression is not really about the fictional characters but the real-world issues that currently exist.

In the book, a sexualized version of this costume, like in the OP, would have been form of protest against the conservative government that forced women to wear bland, oversized clothes in order to hide the female figure because sexuality was seen as a sin punishable by death.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
The original costume is not a symbol of female empowerment. It's a symbol of oppression by a conservative government.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It is weird, but then again I am sure we have heard of weirder kinks. So...

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Because rape is so funny? :?

I'll be the first to say that vapidly taking the iconography from a deliberately thought provoking piece of art and turning it into some stupid merchandise to sell to the masses is missing the point of the work and is tacky as hell, but this isn't promoting rape nor is it an affront to feminism as this article implies. Disrespecting the iconography of a fictional television show is not offensive. It's like people have only now just realised that media can be used as more than just entertainment and can actually communicate real world struggles and that apparently means they're some bastion of sacredness.

I don't think you'd be cool with a "Sexy Shuri" costume. Some IPs deserve respect is all anyone's saying.

Like this. Black Panther is not some sacred work of culture. It's a massive corporate product designed to make mad dollar.

People have been wearing stormtrooper costumes for 40 years now. Fucking stormtroopers - literally space nazis. Look, you can buy a Death Trooper costume for your kid. Yes, this is gross, corporate schlock that undermines the ideas presented in the art. I might consider you ignorant or tacky for wearing it. It's also super prominent and massively mainstream. You're not a racist who votes for Trump for doing so.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I watch the show. Love the show.

I'm not outraged by this like some others would be though.

Bad costumes like this are a good way to spot stupid people at a Halloween party.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Some Halloween costumes have been pretty horrendous for a long time and this is no different. Halloween requires an awful lot of disconnect from source material when it comes to some costumes.

There's people who dress up as Alex from A Clockwork Orange (rapist, murderer) and Freddy Krueger (child molester, serial killer). No one bats an eye and, honestly, no one will bat an eye about this either because Halloween allows you to justify poor decisions.