• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell, that's nuts.

It's insane.

The Huntington Hotel:

cwyZLH8.jpg

Hotel Union Square:

dzaloe9.jpg

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me, what's with that big event going on with Salesforce and other companies near the Metreon?

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Now my other issue is there are 6 Sketchfest panels I want to attend 3 of them are 3 days and the other 3 are 3 days apart as well but the two groups of 3 are two weeks apart. Doing two trips or one 3 week trip is not in the budget. grrrr.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Is there some tech bro billionaire confrence in SF Jan 13-15 or something?

I'm looking at going to some Sketchfest panels around that time and a bunch of hotels I'm looking at jump their rates $1000/night just those 3 days and that's if they have any space at all.
That's crazy.

I was thinking of going to sketch fest, too. I need to look up tickets before they go.

Fortunately, I'll be living close enough.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Got the keys to my new place. [:

🔑🙋‍♂️🙌🏡🏠🏡🏠🏡🏠🏡🏠🏠🏠🌉

Now my other issue is there are 6 Sketchfest panels I want to attend 3 of them are 3 days and the other 3 are 3 days apart as well but the two groups of 3 are two weeks apart. Doing two trips or one 3 week trip is not in the budget. grrrr.
Honestly, I 100% believe that there is a racket going on in SF regarding hotels.

No matter what time of year it is, hotels go from $200 for the absolute shitty ones and then go way up for everything else.

My recommendation would be to stay somewhere near the airport and/or use BART if you can.

For example, stay somewhere on the East Bay, since there are more BART stations on there.

If you want to stay on the peninsula side, try something near Milbrae or further south and CalTrain. CalTrain is fucking slow though.

Now that I looked up the lineup for Sketchfest, the only show I want to go to is $30. However, Evenbrite is charging an $8 fee. Fuck all these companies, man.

Where can I find a promo code?

As an AMC A-list subscriber, it sucked that the Metreon didn't have showings all week to accommodate Dreamforce.
AMC needs more theaters in the bay. There's a dearth between Santa Clara and SF. I think they're adding one in Sunnyvale, but no body got time for that.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Got the keys to my new place. [:

🔑🙋‍♂️🙌🏡🏠🏡🏠🏡🏠🏡🏠🏠🏠🌉

Honestly, I 100% believe that there is a racket going on in SF regarding hotels.

No matter what time of year it is, hotels go from $200 for the absolute shitty ones and then go way up for everything else.

My recommendation would be to stay somewhere near the airport and/or use BART if you can.

Unfortunately, booking out of downtown and Caltrain or BARTing in just isn't viable. Can't go all day without going back to my hotel and the trips waste time and eat into the minimal hotel price savings.

Found a decent place for $180US/night plus taxes just north of the Financial District. I can make that work.

As far as SF Sketchfest goes, I'm doing:

Talking Simpsons
Shit Arcade
Uncle Buck 30th Anniversary Screening

Just have to figure out what else I want to do.

Anyone interested in a meetup?

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
It sounds like fun but I'm actually leaving town for the rest of the year starting Wednesday. =) If you do go, let us know how it turns out.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't been to free gold watch and I love pinball. I'm a fraud.

Last edited:

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
If you have a car, do something outdoors. Golden Gate Park is nice, but Muir Woods, Marin Headlands, the beaches at Pacifica/HMB are good calls anytime of year and are close.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a car, do something outdoors. Golden Gate Park is nice, but Muir Woods, Marin Headlands, the beaches at Pacifica/HMB are good calls anytime of year and are close.

Looked at Muir woods but don't have a car. Might be able to make busing to the Pohono St Park and Ride and taking the shuttle from there work. Is 3 hours enough time to take in the woods? Shuttle only operates on weekends off season and I'm arriving too late on Saturday and have a 3pm show on Sunday.

Last edited:

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Looked at Muir woods but don't have a car. Might be able to make busing to the Pohono St Park and Ride and taking the shuttle from there work. Is 3 hours enough time to take in the woods? Shuttle only operates on weekends off season and I'm arriving too late on Saturday and have a 3pm show on Sunday.

Given that you don't have a car I wouldn't go, sorry to say. Unfortunately once you get out of the SF/Oakland area transit becomes scarcer. If you want to do something outside of the city you can take BART to Oakland, plenty of good food right off the BART stations there or Berkeley, same deal with the food. I really like the UC Berkeley campus but I'm biased, they have a neat botanical garden which is accessible by taking the BART and a shuttle up the hill (check for winter hours). But Golden Gate park has a bigger garden so it's kinda a wash.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Hey everyone! So I'm taking part in another art show later this month. This time I'm showcasing with RAW Artists at 1015 Folsom SF on Wednesday, January 29th. I'm really excited for this one as there's gonna be a huge variety of local artists and performers showcasing that night. If you're interested, please get your tickets by January 22nd using my profile link here:

Thank you <3

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Well my Trip has had two short notice changes to it:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Bunny Ears/Uncle Buck event has unfortunately been cancelled.

"Unforeseen circumstances" means "I don't want to tell you the real reason". I wonder if it sold badly.

Due to unusually high King Tides, the Pohono Shuttle stop is expected to flood and will be closed on Sunday, 01/12/20.
Please use the Marin City hub for your shuttle service on Sunday the 12th.

I was going to bus to the Marin City hub then walk to Pohono from there so this actually works out better for me. with Bunny Ears getting cancelled I can take my time out there and do a longer hike if I want as well.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone! So I'm taking part in another art show later this month. This time I'm showcasing with RAW Artists at 1015 Folsom SF on Wednesday, January 29th. I'm really excited for this one as there's gonna be a huge variety of local artists and performers showcasing that night. If you're interested, please get your tickets by January 22nd using my profile link here:

Thank you <3
Oh man that'd be cool. I don't know if I'll be in town by then as I have a work trip coming up but I'll keep this in mind if I am.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet thanks! I've only been here a couple of years but I thought the bay area didn't include San Jose?
I've always thought it stopped at Gilroy. Looking on Wikipedia:
The San Francisco Bay Area (popularly referred to as the Bay Area or simply the Bay) is a populous region surrounding the San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun Bay estuaries in Northern California. Although the exact boundaries of the region vary depending on the source, the Bay Area is defined by the Association of Bay Area Governments to include the nine counties that border the aforementioned estuaries: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Sonoma, and San Francisco. Other sources may exclude parts of or even entire counties, or expand the definition to include neighboring counties that do not border the bay such as San Benito, San Joaquin, and Santa Cruz.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
San Jose is considered South Bay.

It's part of the Bay Area any way you look at it.

Gilroy isn't part of the Bay Area (but it is close and has some good garlic).

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
That image is pretty bad. Palo Alto is part of SC County.

North Bay: Rich old people and poor people to the east
East Bay: Gentrification and urban mega sprawl! Oakland is here, too!
South Bay: Oh, shit this place existed?
Peninsula: What you'd think of the bay area
SF: Well, you've found it

I'm glad I don't live in the South Bay anymore, though.

On that note, anyone want to hang out next month? 🤔

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
On that note, anyone want to hang out next month? 🤔
Yeeeeee I'll be busier end of next month but first couple weeks should be good.

Also the last couple times I've driven up through 19th - north bay I've witnessed multiple recent accidents. A couple super serious, that must have happened only a minute or so before passing. People are nuts around Daly City.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Edit #2 - well I'll be, they got the power back on in less than an hour.

Original post

Well ain't this a dead thread.. AND it's hard to find.

Anyway yup power is out in certain parts of San Francisco.

When I was walking I came across a father and son, and they told me they felt and heard a large explosion underground on the corner of Laguna and Ivy..

And the power has been out ever since... I think PG&E is Bullshiting with their estimated 9:45-10:45 to when power will be restored.

I'm not an expert, but I find it hard to believe they can repair/or get power back that soon after an explosion under ground.

Edit- and video... u can see the explosion at the end.. might have been a second one.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Edit #2 - well I'll be, they got the power back on in less than an hour.

Original post

Well ain't this a dead thread.. AND it's hard to find.

Anyway yup power is out in certain parts of San Francisco.

When I was walking I came across a father and son, and they told me they felt and heard a large explosion underground on the corner of Laguna and Ivy..

And the power has been out ever since... I think PG&E is Bullshiting with their estimated 9:45-10:45 to when power will be restored.

I'm not an expert, but I find it hard to believe they can repair/or get power back that soon after an explosion under ground.

Edit- and video... u can see the explosion at the end.. might have been a second one.

Transformer blew?

Dec 4, 2018
How does everyone feel attending conferences in the state we're in with the 2019-nCov (Corona Virus)?

There is the developers conference happening in Oakland now and then there is GDC in March. How does everyone feel? Would you go?

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
How does everyone feel attending conferences in the state we're in with the 2019-nCov (Corona Virus)?

There is the developers conference happening in Oakland now and then there is GDC in March. How does everyone feel? Would you go?
Yes, no issues with it at all. I'm young and healthy.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I'm assuming that COVID-19 will die down once Spring comes around. Only a matter of time.

Yeeeeee I'll be busier end of next month but first couple weeks should be good.

Also the last couple times I've driven up through 19th - north bay I've witnessed multiple recent accidents. A couple super serious, that must have happened only a minute or so before passing. People are nuts around Daly City.
Ahah, well, it seems like a micro SF meetup will never happen.

19th? Daly City people aren't fucking around. It does remind me of back home a little, but not really.