• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I actually really like the weather right now, especially since last July (2017) was so damn hot. I remember wishing for the end of suffering many times last summer. In comparison, a little chill in the morning and evening is nothing what for, especially since it warms up proper by 10 or 11 most days anyways.

And yeah, I'm always down for a hang, schedule provided. I'm super busy for the next few weeks though, unfortunately.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I went last week to look at apartments in the silicon valley. I had almost forgotten how inflated the prices are. Hate how expensive everything is.

It's like, 90% of the area is single family, the other areas are two-story apartments. The new complexes with four stories are 3200+ for a 2br.

Hate all that bullshit. We need to set it all to the ground. YIMBY!

California, how did our parents fuck this all up?

Anyway, I put an application for a place in Sunnyvale. It's not great, but the price is decent.

I also looked at a great place in Millbrae, up in the hills overlooking the bay, smelling some fragrant foliage, looking at the planes fly in and out of the airport, but it was just a touch out of my price range.

FML!

The weather was nearly perfect, at least. Compared to LA's 90s/70s to 80s/60s, that shit is nice. We don't get a cool down at all down here. :/

PS: Once I move, I'll try to set up a meet up like last year's.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
hateradio you gonna be my new neighbor? I can't believe that Millbrae is more expensive than the Vale. That's crazy, we've got some of the most expensive apartments in all of the bay area right now. Do be careful of where you end up in Sunnyvale it's not all sunny around here lately. Undocumented crime is on the rise around here, police rarely want to report anything around here for fear of what it might do to the market.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Good luck hateradio, it sucks butt trying to find anything here.
Ya, it do.

hateradio you gonna be my new neighbor? I can't believe that Millbrae is more expensive than the Vale. That's crazy, we've got some of the most expensive apartments in all of the bay area right now. Do be careful of where you end up in Sunnyvale it's not all sunny around here lately. Undocumented crime is on the rise around here, police rarely want to report anything around here for fear of what it might do to the market.
Well, the Millbrae location was a single family house renting a section of it. The location was gorgeous.

The apartment complex in the vale is, meh, next to a noisy street.

Ahahahahaha. As if crime would make the prices go down at all.

PastelPleasantCockroach-size_restricted.gif

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Millbrae is just crazy nice right now, and it's probably the best commute location for somebody that wants to be close to SF and the Valley. It's not my favorite place on the Peninsula, but it sure is convenient all things considered.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Millbrae is just crazy nice right now, and it's probably the best commute location for somebody that wants to be close to SF and the Valley. It's not my favorite place on the Peninsula, but it sure is convenient all things considered.
Yeah, that's why I really wanted to be in that area. Plus, if I conceivably apply to a new job in SF, I could just BART my way there.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Hey BayEra, I am going to be flying into SF tomorrow morning for a whole week and am curious if anyone knows of a place to catch the Evo finals? I heard BrewCade might be a place but after messaging them on FB, they didnt respond.

Any other places like BrewCade that might be showing it? I know its a long shot but if anyone has any tips let me know!

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Hey BayEra, I am going to be flying into SF tomorrow morning for a whole week and am curious if anyone knows of a place to catch the Evo finals? I heard BrewCade might be a place but after messaging them on FB, they didnt respond.

Any other places like BrewCade that might be showing it? I know its a long shot but if anyone has any tips let me know!

You might try Coin Op, The Emporium, or Folsom Street Foundry. I'm not aware that they are having events, but they might.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
So, I'm back. This time in Sunnyvale, on a noisy street. ( ︶︿︶)

I still need to move a few things out of my storage unit, but I got my 2br. Still need to figure out what to do about the roommate situation, since it's currently vacant.

Yipes.

In any case.

RE: SF Bay area meet up . . . we can make a thread and pin it in OT. Maybe we'll get more traction this time around.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
So, I'm back. This time in Sunnyvale, on a noisy street. ( ︶︿︶)

I still need to move a few things out of my storage unit, but I got my 2br. Still need to figure out what to do about the roommate situation, since it's currently vacant.

Yipes.

In any case.

RE: SF Bay area meet up . . . we can make a thread and pin it in OT. Maybe we'll get more traction this time around.

My dudes we just gotta do it.

Welcome back hateradio, sorry you're stuck in Sunnyvale :)

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Anyone here into cars at all? Canepa has an open house and I was wondering if anyone wanted to tag along since none of my buddies can make it

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Into cars, haven't been to Canepa. I have a pretty booked weekend though, hockey is already starting again. :(

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Do you play in an ice league? I've been playing at the Sharks Ice League for a while. Used to play at Vallco/San Mateo league and Redwood City pick ups as well.
I'd love to but I don't have the money for it. This is an indoor roller league in the east bay.

It was my first time playing ever earlier this year and I had a blast. Now I have to keep playing to justify how much money I spent on equipment. haha

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Dry Ice at Hockey X?
Yea man, ice hockey is ridiculously expensive. It's a fucking money pit. SJ Ice league fees just went up too, something like $10k/team. That equates to about $30/game per player.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Dry Ice at Hockey X?
Yea man, ice hockey is ridiculously expensive. It's a fucking money pit. SJ Ice league fees just went up too, something like $10k/team. That equates to about $30/game per player.
GOHT DAM. That's ludicrous.

Yeah that's the one by the way, which is already kinda costly for me. It's about $15 a game.

Fortunately my company will reimburse me $50/month for fitness activities so it's more like an up front cost I slowly get back over the months.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I've got a packed weekend, unfortunately. as the semester starts in the morning here. Otherwise, I'd be down. Have to do a lot of catchups since I basically took the last 2 weeks off.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I think we should aim for September.

I created another event thing to see which day is the most popular.

(Link Removed. Will have a new link with different dates.)

Last edited:

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Reminder that this weekend will be nuts in Monterey/Carmel for Monterey Car Week.
Canepa is also hosting an open house until Saturday 6pm.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Looks like there aren't a lot of responses in the poll.

Should we make a thread in the OT and maybe put it there?

Title Ideas:
SF Bay Area |ERA| Meet Up September!
SF Bay Area |MEET UP| Let's planning together start!
SF Bay Area | Meet Up | In which we get drunk and yell at the Google cloud!

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legit question but how prosperous and economically progressive is Vacaville and how much are properties and raw land worth there?

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there aren't a lot of responses in the poll.

Should we make a thread in the OT and maybe put it there?

Title Ideas:
SF Bay Area |ERA| Meet Up September!
SF Bay Area |MEET UP| Let's planning together start!
SF Bay Area | Meet Up | In which we get drunk and yell at the Google cloud!
I think it would work. There was some people in the lamest city thread that have never posted here.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
There was a discord for the last meet up, but only three people joined, I think.

I won't be able to make it next week (15th), since I have to go back to LA/OC.

However, I'm working on an OT.

*** PREVIEW ***

Hello SF Bay Area!

This thread is for the planning stages of our next meetup! Once we have everything figured out, then we can rename this thread or start a new one with all the details.

LAST YEAR

For 2017, around five to six of us met in SF's http://coinopsf.comand then moved through the city from bar to bar.

This year, we can do something different and get food before drinks!

WHEN

I have created a poll to canvass which days are best. Currently, I've only marked weekends in September and October.

(link will be generated and posted here)

WHERE

Currently we don't have a set place to go, so please feel free to give us suggestions on spots to check out.

BUT I'M NOT A SOCIAL BUTTERFLY!

Don't worry, some of us aren't either. Just think of it as an AR experience. Continue to post on ERA while you communicate in real time with ERA members. Cool, right?

I DON'T HAVE A RIDE

Depending on where we go, you can use BART/CalTrain to get to your location.

I JUST WANT TO COMPLAIN

It's what we at ERA do best, so go on. :p

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
I think we should aim for September.

I created another event thing to see which day is the most popular.

>>> Press Reply To See Hidden Link <<<
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Added my input.

I've been living in the Bay Area suburbs for a few years and I'm really bored of it. I'm also feeling just about ready to move on from my current job. And I'm not in a relationship with anyone in the area. So I pretty much have the opportunity to relocate anywhere.

I'm thinking either Oakland or (don't hate me!) moving east coast to Queens, NY. Thoughts, recommendations anyone? I just generally want to be among a younger population in a more urban setting, but maybe not too noisy if at all possible.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be moving to San Francisco soon. My budget is less than $2400 a month. I assume that can get me some sort of studio in the city. Any neighborhoods you guys recommend I look in? Read some good things about Mission district but also see apartments pop up in Cow Hollow and Pacific Heights.

I've been told to stay away from the tenderloin because it's apparently some hellhole.

I'm also super nervous about living in a shitty building that will get destroyed in the case of a major earthquake. Is there any way I can check on a building prior to moving in? I don't trust people renting apartments out these days enough to take their word on it. Oh one more question. What's the best ISP in San Fran? It's very important I have the fastest internet available.

Edit: Since I work from home, I don't mind living farther away from downtown, as long as it has energy to it. I'm still young (under 40), single, and don't want to live in an area with not a lot going on. Also don't have a car.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
The Mad Mango A lot of if you like New York will be your ability to tolerate weather. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter, unlike here. Otherwise NYC is great. Oakland is pretty nice too.

sarumog It really depends on a couple of factors. To me it sounds like you don't have to commute since your job is 100 percent from home? Mission is nice because it's pretty centrally located. Dogpatch is kinda new and trendy if you want to go there. I would probably avoid the Tenderloin myself. The honest truth is you probably just want to go there and walk around and see if you like the vibe. I think 2400 is doable in all those locations. As far as earthquake safety goes, truthfully regulation is quite strict here so... I mean, really if "the big one" happens everybody is kinda screwed so I probably wouldn't put that high on my list of things to worry about. If you are really concerned just take a tour of the place.

As far as the best ISP in the city, it depends on if your building offers fiber or not. I've had a good experience with webpass and they are cheap too. But they aren't offered everywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
The Mad Mango A lot of if you like New York will be your ability to tolerate weather. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter, unlike here. Otherwise NYC is great. Oakland is pretty nice too.

sarumog It really depends on a couple of factors. To me it sounds like you don't have to commute since your job is 100 percent from home? Mission is nice because it's pretty centrally located. Dogpatch is kinda new and trendy if you want to go there. I would probably avoid the Tenderloin myself. The honest truth is you probably just want to go there and walk around and see if you like the vibe. I think 2400 is doable in all those locations. As far as earthquake safety goes, truthfully regulation is quite strict here so... I mean, really if "the big one" happens everybody is kinda screwed so I probably wouldn't put that high on my list of things to worry about. If you are really concerned just take a tour of the place.

As far as the best ISP in the city, it depends on if your building offers fiber or not. I've had a good experience with webpass and they are cheap too. But they aren't offered everywhere.

First time I've heard of Dogpatch. I'll need to check that out.

I'll be going down there a few weeks before I move to check out the area and find an apartment. That is correct that I work 100% from home, but I will want to go 2-3 times a week to networking events in the city.

Also good to hear about the earthquake stuff. So the ground type in a place like Richmond won't be an issue if another earthquake like in 1989 hit?

Edit: Just searched Dogpatch for apartments on craigslist. Couldn't find any for under $2400 there unfortunately. Does look like a cool area. Wonder what Potrelo Hill is like.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
First time I've heard of Dogpatch. I'll need to check that out.

I'll be going down there a few weeks before I move to check out the area and find an apartment. That is correct that I work 100% from home, but I will want to go 2-3 times a week to networking events in the city.

Also good to hear about the earthquake stuff. So the ground type in a place like Richmond won't be an issue if another earthquake like in 1989 hit?

Edit: Just searched Dogpatch for apartments on craigslist. Couldn't find any for under $2400 there unfortunately. Does look like a cool area. Wonder what Potrelo Hill is like.

Potrero Hill is expensive.

Richmond district will be cheaper because it is out by the ocean and a commute to downtown.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah given your budget and needs I'd say Richmond or Sunset. Lots of good restaurants in those areas plus you get the park.

Oct 27, 2017
Potrero Hill is expensive.

Richmond district will be cheaper because it is out by the ocean and a commute to downtown.

I was looking at the Richmond district. Was really surprised to see how nice of an apartment I could get down there for my budget. Always thought it was because the soil was Type D sand and mud. But I upon further inspection of the earthquake soil type map that's pretty much most of downtown san fran https://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/urban/sfbay/soiltype/.

Can't believe by the ocean isn't a benefit. I love the ocean :)

Yeah given your budget and needs I'd say Richmond or Sunset. Lots of good restaurants in those areas plus you get the park.

Park is a big plus for me. I jog a lot so it would be good to have a nice big park nearby.

Edit: Holy shit Sunset is cheap! Seeing ads on craigslist for 2BR apartment for $1700. Are there dangerous areas of sunset or something obvious I'm missing?

Oct 27, 2017
Traffic sucks ass. ~30+ min to downtown.

And that price is suspect.

Yeah upon further inspection it was a roommate thing. Google is showing close to an hour to downtown via public transit. It's almost faster to just walk downtown.

Is there enough to do if you stay in Sunset? Most days I would just be hanging around the local neighborhood so would be nice if there were some trendy cafes at least. Currently going through Google streetview to try and get an idea.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sunset is nice and slow, though there are some cool spots to go.

Inner Sunset is really nice with lots of restaurants and Cafés available. There's also West Portal which is next to Sunset and has a movie theatre and lots of really good restaurants. West Portal is one of my Go-to spots to relax.

Dogpatch, you mentioned in the earlier thread, is super low-key. Lots of super hidden dive bars, and interesting shops. If your're in the area, take note of Neighbor Bakehouse. They have great coffee and their savory pastries are amazing, but kind of pricey. Definitely a special day type place.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Yeah upon further inspection it was a roommate thing. Google is showing close to an hour to downtown via public transit. It's almost faster to just walk downtown.

Is there enough to do if you stay in Sunset? Most days I would just be hanging around the local neighborhood so would be nice if there were some trendy cafes at least. Currently going through Google streetview to try and get an idea.

TBH I think Oakland is a better pick than Sunset (maybe unpopular opinion), as long as you get close to the BART. My sister had an apartment by Lake Merritt a while back and it was a pretty nice setup. If you get a place close the BART the train ride to downtown SF is probably 20-30 minutes. I do the reverse commute most days (but go a little farther north to Berk) and it's a breeze, 1-hour for me door to door and most of it's on 1 train.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks this has been really helpful. Will check out around West Portal. Also haven't considered Oakland. Why is it an unpopular opinion? Heard it used to be dangerous but I imagine it's pretty safe now.