• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a certain cellphone provider that's best in the bay area? I'm using T-Mobile now. All the reading I've done online says Verizon is the best downtown. However I'm looking at either Sunset or Richmond area for living.

Want to upgrade my cellphone but think I should wait until I get there first to see what coverage is like.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a certain cellphone provider that's best in the bay area? I'm using T-Mobile now. All the reading I've done online says Verizon is the best downtown. However I'm looking at either Sunset or Richmond area for living.

Want to upgrade my cellphone but think I should wait until I get there first to see what coverage is like.
Never really heard about this theory.

I use AT&T and get relatively good service.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I should clarify, losing service in my room in my apartment. I can't speak to T-Mobile, I know a few people who live in other parts of the east bay who have it and it's fine.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I've heard that Verizon is the best in terms of coverage. I have AT&T and it's fine though. I only lose signal in the tunnel and deep in certain buildings... neither of which really bother me.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Other option you can look into is Sonic (again depends on location).

They're supposed to get fiber in my area this year but...haven't seen an update yet.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else attend the Noma Guide to Fermentation book event tonight at the JCCSF? I just got back. For someone who's followed Rene Redzepi's career and watched both his documentaries, it was almost surreal to see him in person on stage talking about fermentation. He's such an eloquent speaker, he could lull me into a trance with his descriptive, sometimes poetic statements about food. They had a few vendors that gave out free samples of yogurt with fermented honey, a fermented wine, and yes fermented coffee. At the end of the event, they gave out cookies topped with a caramel that was made with *i think* a shoyu made from fermented peas. I didn't taste all the samples, but I made sure to get the cookie. It actually contains a Noma made product, and will probably be the closest I'll ever get to eat anything that came by way of Noma in Copenhagen.

Also saw Chris Ying there, who is a author of some cookbooks like Mission Chinese and was a writer at now defunct Lucky Peach. He seemed like a really cool dude.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Moving to SF on Tuesday and super excited! We got an apartment SOMA/Rincon Hill area in one of the newer towers. Anyone else in this area?

Any recommendations on nice cafes to work and nice restaurants to eat?

How about the arts/cultural? I think SF MOMA is quite close to our place at least.

Welcome to the area. Hope you like it. Hot tip, MoMA is free if you have a library card. I think the program is called discoverngo or something like that. Some good eats around there too.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Update on the Meet Up Oct 20th

The Emporium opens at 4pm. So I moved the time back one hour.

I'll try to be there around 3:30 or something, however.

Join the Discord:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the area. Hope you like it. Hot tip, MoMA is free if you have a library card. I think the program is called discoverngo or something like that. Some good eats around there too.

Awesome! Was thinking about getting a membership... Been here for a few weeks now and absolutely loving it!

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Update on the Meet Up Tomorrow

The Emporium opens at 4pm. So I moved the time back one hour.

I'll try to be there around 3:30 or something, however.

Join the Discord:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I'm a little later to the game. Can I get an invite?

Also, I'm thoroughly broke, but I have some tokens to play.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for a tailor/suit alterations in the Bay Area? Looking for value with good quality. I'm in the South Bay, so the closer the better

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting so sick of having to take BART into the city during rush hour. How can this possibly be safe? The cars are literally packed in with people crammed next to each other. What if there was an emergency? All these people trapped with no where to go.

I really wish there was a feasible alternate solution to BART-a privatized rail system in the Bay Area or something. Any money that gets funneled to BARY for improvements just goes up in smoke. I hate it.

I have to stand every trip for 45 minutes+ and I have a bad back so it's killing me.

Here's my train from this morning:
3CS6rHCh.jpg

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm getting so sick of having to take BART into the city during rush hour. How can this possibly be safe? The cars are literally packed in with people crammed next to each other. What if there was an emergency? All these people trapped with no where to go.

I really wish there was a feasible alternate solution to BART-a privatized rail system in the Bay Area or something. Any money that gets funneled to BARY for improvements just goes up in smoke. I hate it.

I have to stand every trip for 45 minutes+ and I have a bad back so it's killing me.

Apparently we Californians are just bad at contracts. Always going to champion the Japan systems, though being packed is actually worse there. Cleaner, more often, more convenient, and goes everywhere but comically packed during the rush.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Where do you get on, if I may ask? Yeah, I mean crowds don't bother me that much since I'm used to Japan where it's way worse in terms of crowds but I can see with your back how it might be aggravating.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, though it's further away from the city, it's worth it to live by a terminus station. I'd much rather get on in Fremont than say Hayward.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The fuck was that about? :/

Can't remember ever feeling just a single jolt. Had me tripping. I'm all shaking my own bed just to make sure I'm not the one who caused the closet door to shake a sec ago.

Edit- hmm maybe I woke up at that last jolt. Anyway it was a 3.7 Earthquake off Berkeley.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The World
Visiting SF for 3 nights in April. Looking for good dinner sports, currently have reservations at:

Kokkari
Gary Danko

Looking for a non-American place now, maybe something Japanese as my wife loves Sushi (but the rolls kind not Sashimi kind).

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
You might try the ramen at Mensho. Since your wife doesn't like sashimi you're better off skipping any place that specifically serves sushi and going for more of a casual Japanese place like an Izakaya. You might be better served just walking around Japantown and seeing what strikes your fancy in that case.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Guys -

Now that Warm weather is coming back does anyone have any recommendations for good beaches in close proximity to the East Bay?

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

3CS6rHCh.jpg
I surely don't miss that...

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Best sushi spot in the South Bay?
I dig Sendai in Milpitas but Chacha sushi in south San Jose is purty good. I miss the complimentary oysters they used to give tho. Lol.

Damn, this was dead :(

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy Kenzo for the sushi buffet. I liked Chacha sushi the few times I've been there. There are a few others, but I can't remember the names on the top of my head.

3CS6rHCh.jpg

Makes me think twice about working in the city

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Haven't heard of sushi heroes so I'll check that out.
Yeah I've gone to kenzo a few times but I don't like it as much as the others.
I've only gone to that spot inside oakridge once, think it was called Sanraku, and it was pretty good. I went when they first opened so I don't know if it's changed or not.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't heard of sushi heroes so I'll check that out.
Yeah I've gone to kenzo a few times but I don't like it as much as the others.
I've only gone to that spot inside oakridge once, think it was called Sanraku, and it was pretty good. I went when they first opened so I don't know if it's changed or not.
I have yet to find a sushi buffet in the area that's better. As a normal dine in, yeah, it can't quite complete.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My wife and I just got back from a 3-day weekend in San Francisco and had a great time. Stayed downtown but walked all over the place averaging like 13 miles a day. Went up Potrero Hill, walked out to Marina, through Mission, Tenderloin, Castro, Dogpatch, Hayes Valley, etc. Hit up Cellarmaker Brewing, Maven, Brass Tacks, Fools Errand, Toronado and City Beer Store for drinks, Sunday brunch at Foreign Cinema and had great dinners at State Bird Provisions, Che Fico and Nopa.

Oh yeah, Taqueria Cancun in the Mission was legit as fuck.

Also, I'm from Seattle, so the homeless situation didn't bother me. It's our reality too.

Last edited: