• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
Get it?

san-francisco-golden-gate-bridge.0.jpg

95BC4Ot.jpg

^ Second pic I took on Mt. Tamalpais last month.

Travel guide
Hiking guide

evilpigking

Oct 25, 2017
Was waiting for this to come back. I didn't know if it would, since it was a very low traffic OT to begin with!

Everyone fed up of the traffic on 101 no need to bring it here too! Was back in the Bay Area last week just in time to catch the tail end of the smokiness. Hopefully next time I swing back it will be nicer.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Everyone fed up of the traffic on 101 no need to bring it here too! Was back in the Bay Area last week just in time to catch the tail end of the smokiness. Hopefully next time I swing back it will be nicer.

It's hot again, and smoggy, but at least not apocalyptic like last week. Looking forward to a nice, cool, weekend (hopefully). Maybe watch Thor,... maybe not.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this one back!

It's hot again, and smoggy, but at least not apocalyptic like last week. Looking forward to a nice, cool, weekend (hopefully). Maybe watch Thor,... maybe not.

I think this will be last of the heat and the temp is going to drop a lot suddenly. It feels like we usually get one last high temp in mid to late October and then that's it until next year.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Glad to see this one back!

I think this will be last of the heat and the temp is going to drop a lot suddenly. It feels like we usually get one last high temp in mid to late October and then that's it until next year.

I kind of just want the rain to start up again, to be honest. I'm ready for the cooler temperatures, and I bought some new rain gear cause I'm going to be outdoors a lot more this winter.

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
East bay calling in. The rain and thunder a few weeks back was quite awesome.

Someone in our neighborhood shared pictures of a flock of turkeys roaming down their street lol.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't participate in the previous thread, but I'll be around for this one.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Corte Madera here!

We live in a HOA. Lot's of proposed changes coming in light of recent fires. Some good, some bad. Requiring an approval to BBQ has me face palming.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I'm near Vacaville but can I chill here? I don't even fuck with sac yadida?

Absolutely. This thread felt like a catch all for Nor-Cal in it's previous incarnation, so we welcome anybody from the general area. Even outside of it too. It was never a really strict or formal community, which is also why it might be harder to get it going again.

Happy to see the rest of ya'll on board. I split my time between the Peninsula (where I live) and Berkeley (where I go to school). Best of both worlds, I guess.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
So I guess we should try to have a first BayERA meet?

Perhaps. I think it might be a bit premature. We'll let people filter in and announce themselves, and once we get enough folks interest we can plan a meet up.

What's everybody's plans for the weekends? About to head out to the San Mateo farmer's market, then probably gonna chill and study. Hoping to convince the GF to let me buy the new Mario, but she's gonna give me the side eye cause I need to study...lol.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
So I lived in San Francisco for a year and it's a pretty good city. I was successful at never driving a car and never taking muni. Took BART a couple times and Caltrain a bunchas I had to go to Palo Alto often. Otherwise just walked everywhere or uber'd.

Here were the things I loved about the city:

- progressive and diverse for a US city.
- everything was so convenient- Uber, post mates, amazon prime & fresh. Even got my doctor delivered to me. Essentially removed a bunch of errands from my plate to focus on other things.
- good night scene - speakeasys, after hours, etc all over.
- my place had an incredible view of bay bridge which I miss.
- great restaurants all over with good variety.
- in general people are very laid back outside of Silicon Valley atmosphere so it had a good culture
- cost of living outside rent was so much cheaper then Vancouver
- union square had amazing shopping
- the Bay Area is geographically beautiful. Went on a sailboat a couple times around and it was perfect days
- loved walking the embarcedero

Things I didn't like about the city:

- outside of certain areas, the city is kind of a dump in terms of everything falling apart or cheap or dirty. Especially east bay and Daly City areas.
- weather wasn't great for my year due to freak rain storms.
- financial district where I lived dies at 8pm so had to go to mission area.
- expensive rent
- 4-5hrs to closest mountain for snowboarding
- too many socially awkward introverted people in the city - it was harder to make friends in this city then any other ive been to, esp among the more affluent in the city
- human feces. I've seen human feces. Wtf
- it just pales in comparison to Vancouver in almost every way. Ideal state is someone who lives in Vancouver but works remote for Silicon Valley company like me now as they pay much more there.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Gad to see people popping in here. I left a link in that EA Redwood Shores thread, and I encourage people to pop in the link if they see Bay Area discussion going on elsewhere in ResetEra.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Moving to Emeryville in 17 days. Nice to see this thread jumping. I don't know anything about the Bay so this'll be a great resource.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ig55 Yeah, the temperatures are expected to drop this week
22a76d50c99442050235ad3eac35aeaa.png

I've already whipped out my nice beanie and my fall/winter coat.

Check this thing out

d20e47b007516166a72d43e2d03fa6a2.png

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Best bakeries in the world. B. Patisserie, Tartine, Thorough Bread, Neighbor Bakehouse, and many more.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best bakeries in the world. B. Patisserie, Tartine, Thorough Bread, Neighbor Bakehouse, and many more.
Isn't it sad that I've visited SF so much and lived here for quite a while now and I've never been to these places at all? I told myself that I was going to visit one of these places, but I never got around to it because I heard that there were always lines.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it sad that I've visited SF so much and lived here for quite a while now and I've never been to these places at all? I told myself that I was going to visit one of these places, but I never got around to it because I heard that there were always lines.

It's never too late! For the best kouign amann check out B. Patisserie! If you haven't had one before you must try it!! They usually have them into the afternoons because it's what they're most famous for.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Y'all know some good Mexican places in San Mateo? There's this truck I see on El Camino Real all the time and I'm tempted to stop there since it's always got a line.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Y'all know some good Mexican places in San Mateo? There's this truck I see on El Camino Real all the time and I'm tempted to stop there since it's always got a line.

People debate between La Cumbre and Pancho Villa, both of which are offshoots of ones in the Mission. I prefer La Cumbre slightly, but I can't really say either of them are that exceptional.

Not exactly Mexiican, but my fav Latino food place in San Mateo is La Chapina, which serves Guatemalan food. It's authentic, cheap, and it's good.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
People debate between La Cumbre and Pancho Villa, both of which are offshoots of ones in the Mission. I prefer La Cumbre slightly, but I can't really say either of them are that exceptional.

Not exactly Mexiican, but my fav Latino food place in San Mateo is La Chapina, which serves Guatemalan food. It's authentic, cheap, and it's good.
I'm gonna have to check that out

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Any Berkeley recs for anything? I've been here for 2 years now but still feel like I know nothing.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Any Berkeley recs for anything? I've been here for 2 years now but still feel like I know nothing.

Looking for anything in particular (location wise/type of food, etc.)?

Some quick recs I would make to someone in Berkeley would be a late hot dog at Top Dog when drunk, either Naan n'Curry (cheap) and/or Vik's Chaat and Market (further from campus) for Indian. I'm a big fan of Bongo Burger as well, less so of Chessboard and Chez Panisse than others (although you should still try both, I think). Zachary's is decent Chicago Style pizza on College if you're interested. La Val's on northside is pretty hit or miss - the southside location was much better (and a great place to grab a slice and a beer while watching game) but closed down.

Also, the Asian Ghetto (any of the places, really) on southside.

Last edited:

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for anything in particular (location wise/type of food, etc.)?

Some quick recs I would make to someone in Berkeley would be a late hot dog at Top Dog when drunk, either Naan n'Curry (cheap) and/or Vik's Chaat and Market (further from campus) for Indian. I'm a big fan of Bongo Burger as well, less so of Chessboard and Chez Panisse than others (although you should still try both, I think). Zachary's is decent Chicago Style pizza on College if you're interested. La Val's on northside is pretty hit or miss - the southside location was much better (and a great place to grab a slice and a beer while watching game) but closed down.

Also, the Asian Ghetto (any of the places, really) on southside.

I don't feel as bad now because I recognize most of those places. I always wanted joints where I could get wings, Mediterranean food, and Chinese food relatively fast. Are King Dong and Oasis Grill my best bets for the latter? And are there any standout restaurants in the Oakland area where the Safeway is? I've been there a few times shopping and feel overwhelmed with all the fancy places I see.

Also, La Val's is garbage tier pizza. The last two times I had it, I bit into clumps of minced garlic.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Bongo Burger has some decent basic Mediterranean but I'd say to try Rojbas on University for a quick bite. I've heard good things about the Flying Falafel but haven't had the chance to go yet. Chinese food - other than cheap (but admittedly not great) stuff from the Asian Ghetto, we used to go to Da Lian on Shattuck - it's not amazing but a good hole in the wall type (at least when I was an undergrad!). You should also check out Great China Restaurant on Bancroft.

I can't really help much with ribs, although I know there are a few places on San Pablo I've heard are decent (I'm no expert though, and my boss - a BBQ snob from the Midwest - insists Bay Area bbq is garbage)

NubWizard

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
So, I am possibly moving to Dublin for a job from the Central Valley and was wanting some advice. My big thing is seeking advice on minimum salary and also what is the best resource for finding housing. My worst case scenario is living in Tracey and taking the commuter bus to and from work every morning (1 hour both ways) or spending the extra money to live in Dublin.

I will be honest though, it has made me a little discouraged finding a decent salary job to afford housing. I have a Master's degree but it doesn't seem like it's getting the same bang for the buck I was getting in another part of the country.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Bongo Burger has some decent basic Mediterranean but I'd say to try Rojbas on University for a quick bite. I've heard good things about the Flying Falafel but haven't had the chance to go yet. Chinese food - other than cheap (but admittedly not great) stuff from the Asian Ghetto, we used to go to Da Lian on Shattuck - it's not amazing but a good hole in the wall type (at least when I was an undergrad!). You should also check out Great China Restaurant on Bancroft.

I can't really help much with ribs, although I know there are a few places on San Pablo I've heard are decent (I'm no expert though, and my boss - a BBQ snob from the Midwest - insists Bay Area bbq is garbage)

You can try Angeline's for Ribs. I think they are better known for other things but who knows, their Ribs might be pretty solid. Your best bet though is to make the trek to Oakland for stuff like that.

So, I am possibly moving to Dublin for a job from the Central Valley and was wanting some advice. My big thing is seeking advice on minimum salary and also what is the best resource for finding housing. My worst case scenario is living in Tracey and taking the commuter bus to and from work every morning (1 hour both ways) or spending the extra money to live in Dublin.

I will be honest though, it has made me a little discouraged finding a decent salary job to afford housing. I have a Master's degree but it doesn't seem like it's getting the same bang for the buck I was getting in another part of the country.

Aim high, but expect to have a roommate unless your job is in really high demand is pretty much the advice that most people get for the Bay. You're from Tracy, so you kinda know the rental market is like, Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area is better, but not that much better than the rest of the Bay. You might want to see how the commute goes too, all things considered 1 hour isn't the worst thing in the world (I know it kinda sucks).

Min salary without a roommate would probably be what, like rent = .4 percent of earnings, so 5250 /mon after tax, so maybe like 80 - 90 k? That's just based on eyeballing things out here.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

For Dublin, many have big houses with extra rooms looking to rent commuters so they are out there if that's ok by you. The surrounding Danville, San Ramon)may have in law units for more, but more private. Rooms run around 650-850 last I checked. Dublin is my hometown :)

NubWizard

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Aim high, but expect to have a roommate unless your job is in really high demand is pretty much the advice that most people get for the Bay. You're from Tracy, so you kinda know the rental market is like, Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area is better, but not that much better than the rest of the Bay. You might want to see how the commute goes too, all things considered 1 hour isn't the worst thing in the world (I know it kinda sucks).

Min salary without a roommate would probably be what, like rent = .4 percent of earnings, so 5250 /mon after tax, so maybe like 80 - 90 k? That's just based on eyeballing things out here.

Actually not from Tracey :) I just moved here from Tennessee and have homebase with family in the Central Valley. Its nice out here and I would love to stay since its so cheap and I could actually buy a house with my salary and live comfortably. But I go where the jobs are and I think being close to the bay area would accelerate on my career path if I used my time there wisely to network.

Thank you for the advice though! I believe the company was looking to pay me in the ~$65,000 and my significant other currently has a part time remote job making $30,000. I think I will try to push for $70,000 and a sign-on bonus if I can swing it.

For Dublin, many have big houses with extra rooms looking to rent commuters so they are out there if that's ok by you. The surrounding Danville, San Ramon)may have in law units for more, but more private. Rooms run around 650-850 last I checked. Dublin is my hometown :)

Unfortunately, I can't rent a room with a significant other and a dog so I will be looking at apartment units more than likely.

Since you are from Dublin, any cool places to check out and eat? I am staying overnight there this week and want to get a good feel for the area. Also, do you have any other advice? :)

Oct 27, 2017
Actually not from Tracey :) I just moved here from Tennessee and have homebase with family in the Central Valley. Its nice out here and I would love to stay since its so cheap and I could actually buy a house with my salary and live comfortably. But I go where the jobs are and I think being close to the bay area would accelerate on my career path if I used my time there wisely to network.

Thank you for the advice though! I believe the company was looking to pay me in the ~$65,000 and my significant other currently has a part time remote job making $30,000. I think I will try to push for $70,000 and a sign-on bonus if I can swing it.

Unfortunately, I can't rent a room with a significant other and a dog so I will be looking at apartment units more than likely.

Since you are from Dublin, any cool places to check out and eat? I am staying overnight there this week and want to get a good feel for the area. Also, do you have any other advice? :)

Dublin is a very newly upscaled suburb, when I was a kid nothing was there. it has been built up a lot in ~10 years. As far as things to do, not really unless you like shopping. Three Sheets is a small bar that is nice. It is a safe area and quiet so I enjoy it, but not much to do. There are trails and parks (East Bay Regional Park District) but also smaller trails throughout. Oh and Santa Rita jail xD

Edit: to eat; Mexican - Los Pericos, Afghan - Khyber Pass, Thai/crepes - Blossom Bee (amazing thai crepes!). These 3 are in the same lot too lol. Few Chinese Hot Pot but I haven't tried. Feel free to PM :)

Last edited: