• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Naw, it doesn't get that hot here. The proximity to the water usually limits the heat (and the cold too). It's like being next to a giant natural fountain -- the water absorbs the heat when it's hot and releases heat when it's cold. Yay thermodynamics.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone want to kick it and do something involving games? I have some upcoming free time soon.

Maybe we could meet at Hi-Scores?

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when it comes to transportation, there's no unlimited Bart pass but there's a unlimited bus pass, right?

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
So that works for both but no monthly unlimited pass type of thing?

Bart doesn't have a monthly. It does have a clipper reload option that gives you about a 10 percent discount if you pay for 60 dollars up front (you get 66 on your card). Muni has an unlimited option. You'll have to do the math and see what makes more sense depending on where you live.

Edit: I forgot, but there's a Muni + unlimited BART Monthly within SF only (no East bay or Peninsula). I don't really know the details though, but if you live within SF and plan to stay there might be worth it.

I'm down for meeting up provided it works with my schedule. I should be a bit freer now that classes are done for the semester.

Last edited:

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is 10k saved up for a potential move to SF enough in your opinion ? I'm 24 and the plan is to attend city college in the fall to major in Cinema, I hope to rent a bed at a dorm style thing for around $600-700 month, I have customer service experience so I have to find any minimum wage job, I have a car that's financed at $300 month which I know is the only part that makes everything more challenging as owning a car seems like a luxury in SF.

It's going to be hard but I just need a fresh start and I want to finally go to school and learn what I've always wanted to learn, Living in SF gives me hope that I can make it somehow.

Eventually finding a job at IGN or some tv news, film shoot, Anything as long as I can create something, that's all I want.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
So is 10k saved up for a potential move to SF enough in your opinion ? I'm 24 and the plan is to attend city college in the fall to major in Cinema, I hope to rent a bed at a dorm style thing for around $600-700 month, I have customer service experience so I have to find any minimum wage job, I have a car that's financed at $300 month which I know is the only part that makes everything more challenging as owning a car seems like a luxury in SF.

It's going to be hard but I just need a fresh start and I want to finally go to school and learn what I've always wanted to learn, Living in SF gives me hope that I can make it somehow.

Eventually finding a job at IGN or some tv news, film shoot, Anything as long as I can create something, that's all I want.

I mean, you live in the Central Valley, right? Do you have the ability to go back there if things go really down south? If you do, then I say there's little risk and you should consider it. Just, and this is general advice, have a plan. Meet with a counselor first and ask them to sit down with you and come up with a path to graduation. Figure out how long it's going to take, how many units you need to take per semester, and what kind of prospects you have to graduate (i.e. average rate of graduation in X years). Also wouldn't hurt to ask them about what some alum have done with their degree.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you live in the Central Valley, right? Do you have the ability to go back there if things go really down south? If you do, then I say there's little risk and you should consider it. Just, and this is general advice, have a plan. Meet with a counselor first and ask them to sit down with you and come up with a path to graduation. Figure out how long it's going to take, how many units you need to take per semester, and what kind of prospects you have to graduate (i.e. average rate of graduation in X years). Also wouldn't hurt to ask them about what some alum have done with their degree.
I guess I'll use some vacation time towards the end of June or early July and go speak to someone at the school, maybe even go check out where I can rent.

It seems terrifying but at the same time I'm excited for the potential in what can happen. My life can change so much in around a month.

Yesterday was my birthday, I turned 24. I still live with my parents and attend college but they don't have any classes for what I want to learn.

I just can't wait forever

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You should be okay for a bit, but I wouldn't depend on just one plan. People move out here and have the absolutely unexpected happen to them. $10,000 should be enough for you when you get here. Generally speaking, first and last month's rent and a security deposit usually costs $2000 or so depending on where you're staying.

City College is a decent Avenue to go down. Plan on transferring to a university after your done because I'm not sure if no degree will help with your job search, especially out here unless your skills are top notch.

The only issue I think you'll have is with the $300 car note. That's crucial money. I'm a student working minimum wage and I have a car insurance bill with gas that adds up to be $200 a month if I'm not careful.

One more thing to mention - go into jobs with an open mind. Things tend to fall into your lap in this weird city.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should be okay for a bit, but I wouldn't depend on just one plan. People move out here and have the absolutely unexpected happen to them. $10,000 should be enough for you when you get here. Generally speaking, first and last month's rent and a security deposit usually costs $2000 or so depending on where you're staying.

City College is a decent Avenue to go down. Plan on transferring to a university after your done because I'm not sure if no degree will help with your job search, especially out here unless your skills are top notch.

The only issue I think you'll have is with the $300 car note. That's crucial money. I'm a student working minimum wage and I have a car insurance bill with gas that adds up to be $200 a month if I'm not careful.

One more thing to mention - go into jobs with an open mind. Things tend to fall into your lap in this weird city.
Thank you for the reply, the having a car payment really hurts and makes it more complicated in a city like SF for someone in my situation.

I wouldn't mind working at the Apple retail store or even at a grocery store like Trader Joe's, would be interesting or even at T-Mobile.

But at the same time I'll take anything that I can as of right now I just work part time, 30 hrs a week at a car wash, I cash and push buttons but it's just customer service.

Hopefully I can create a portfolio of some kind and it'll be enough to get someone's attention, from photography to Instagram videos, that's one goal.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Someone recommended finding a place to rent in Berkeley, since they'll be cheaper now, but I don't know, there's going to be a lot of students, right? Anyone have experience renting in the area while not a student?

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Someone recommended finding a place to rent in Berkeley, since they'll be cheaper now, but I don't know, there's going to be a lot of students, right? Anyone have experience renting in the area while not a student?

What are you looking for in terms of atmosphere? If you avoid Downtown Berkeley and parts of North Berkeley close to campus you can avoid students, as most will live within walking distance to campus. Basically draw a half mile radius around campus and you'll be set. There are a lot of people who live in Berkeley that aren't students though, even near campus though. So as long as you don't mind being in an area with students you could rent just about anywhere in Berkeley, although it being cheaper I'd say is a matter of scale. It's cheaper than SF for sue, but it isn't that much cheaper than the Bay Area as a whole.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
What are you looking for in terms of atmosphere? If you avoid Downtown Berkeley and parts of North Berkeley close to campus you can avoid students, as most will live within walking distance to campus. Basically draw a half mile radius around campus and you'll be set. There are a lot of people who live in Berkeley that aren't students though, even near campus though. So as long as you don't mind being in an area with students you could rent just about anywhere in Berkeley, although it being cheaper I'd say is a matter of scale. It's cheaper than SF for sue, but it isn't that much cheaper than the Bay Area as a whole.
Well, mainly I'm worried about being the one adult surrounded by a bunch of college kids and people thinking I'm weird. If it's normal, I'm more fine with renting near the campus. I just want to be close to a BART station.

What are some places that are cheaper but still near BART/Caltrain?

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Where do you plan to work? BART and Caltrain are separate systems and take you to different places. Which one you'll want to close to is dependent on where you'll spend most of your time, unless you work in SF, where they converge. Or Millbrae, I suppose.

If you want to be close to Berkeley I'd recommend Albany, near the North Berkeley Bart Station. El Cerrito and Richmond are areas that people consider more affordable in the Berkeley Area. Both have a BART station nearby.

Last edited:

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Where do you plan to work? BART and Caltrain are separate systems and take you to different places. Which one you'll want to close to is dependent on where you'll spend most of your time, unless you work in SF, where they converge. Or Millbrae, I suppose.

If you want to be close to Berkeley I'd recommend Albany, near the North Berkeley Bart Station. El Cerrito and Richmond are areas that people consider more affordable in the Berkeley Area. Both have a BART station nearby.
I already work in SF, at a place close to both BART and Caltrain. That's why I consider the two interchangeable in this situation.

I currently commute from Dublin/Pleasanton, so the goal is a place that significantly cuts down on the commute time.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I already work in SF, at a place close to both BART and Caltrain. That's why I consider the two interchangeable in this situation.

I currently commute from Dublin/Pleasanton, so the goal is a place that significantly cuts down on the commute time.

I think all of the above are good suggestions then, although Richmond is getting a bit far and probably won't save you much time. Albany is kinda 'Berkeley for familes' FWIW or as NIMBY's call it: Berkeley how it used to be. Still, it's pretty nice, has a cute downtown, and a few good resturants (there's an onigiri place in Albany I went to once that's pretty good if you like fancy rice balls.) I'd look into Oakland too, I think you can probably still find some decent deals there. I wouldn't look anywhere on the Caltrain, honestly. Anywhere that's far enough south to be saving time on the Caltrain vs BART is going to be not that much of a time saver. Heading down to San Mateo takes 30 minutes on Caltrain, RWC is about 45 minutes, which is what your commute is right now anyways.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
So, I have to move back to the Bay and I'm already dreading that expensive real estate.

I plan to live closer to SF, but not in SF, since my job is in SJ.

Sucks, because I really want a Model 3, but I don't know if I can do that and the apartment. ;_;

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
So, I have to move back to the Bay and I'm already dreading that expensive real estate.

I plan to live closer to SF, but not in SF, since my job is in SJ.

Sucks, because I really want a Model 3, but I don't know if I can do that and the apartment. ;_;
What areas were you thinking about? I wouldn't wanna live near SF If I was working in SJ, sounds like a PITA to me.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
What areas were you thinking about? I wouldn't wanna live near SF If I was working in SJ, sounds like a PITA to me.
I wouldn't be going to the office more than once a week, so I'd rather be closer to SF to be able to go out at night and do things. I didn't really care for SJ (or most of the south bay) while I was living there.

I'm thinking anywhere between San Bruno to Redwood City. I know that's going to bite my wallet real hard. But having a life > living in a cheap apartment in a boring area far away from SF.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be going to the office more than once a week, so I'd rather be closer to SF to be able to go out at night and do things. I didn't really care for SJ (or most of the south bay) while I was living there.

I'm thinking anywhere between San Bruno to Redwood City. I know that's going to bite my wallet real hard. But having a life > living in a cheap apartment in a boring area far away from SF.
Oh gotcha, that's nice then. I work in mountain view so I try to stay fairly close (palo alto).

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there anyone that can link me up with someone renting out a room for a decent price? I'm about to go to school and I don't think I'll have a place to stay to finish it up.

Anywhere through Daly City and San Mateo is good. SF even better.

Just shoot me a PM if so.

Last edited:

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just re-upped my lease for another year.

Was looking for a studio, but couldn't find one near my work that allowed dogs =C

I guess I can just save that extra ~800-1000 a month.

I really wanted to get a puppy though =C

Until next year.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much did your lease go up?

From $1095-> $1145. All utilities included.

I live in a house with a super nice older lady, she isn't here much so I have the place to myself alot.

It is also 15 minutes walking from my office in Emeryville/South Berkeley.

Pretty sweet deal I have, but I make enough to have my own place now and I really want a puppers.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
From $1095-> $1145. All utilities included.

I live in a house with a super nice older lady, she isn't here much so I have the place to myself alot.

It is also 15 minutes walking from my office in Emeryville/South Berkeley.

Pretty sweet deal I have, but I make enough to have my own place now and I really want a puppers.

Real Talk: A lot of people I know abuse the emotional support animal clause to force their landlord to allow their pet in. I swear like half my building does it, because nominally there are no pets allowed but I see tons of people walking around with their dog/cat/whatever. They can't even charge you extra if you have that letter. So if you're serious about wanting a dog and don't mind being a little sketchy you might look into it.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Real Talk: A lot of people I know abuse the emotional support animal clause to force their landlord to allow their pet in. I swear like half my building does it, because nominally there are no pets allowed but I see tons of people walking around with their dog/cat/whatever. They can't even charge you extra if you have that letter. So if you're serious about wanting a dog and don't mind being a little sketchy you might look into it.

I like my landlady though, and she has a cute older dog I watch for when she is gone.

Why would I be an asshole to her for no good reason... I'll just wait a year.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I like my landlady though, and she has a cute older dog I watch for when she is gone.

Why would I be an asshole to her for no good reason... I'll just wait a year.

Yeah, I just meant in a year, when you're looking for a new studio. Since you re-uped your lease I wouldn't bother. Especially since, like your said, it's a private owner and not a big leasing company.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be in town the next few days with a lot of free time, anyone have any recommendations for board/card game shops worth checking out? Also any recommendations on where the best coffee place is? I'm pretentious as hell when it comes to coffee, hate Starbucks and always on the look out for a good local coffee.

i3allistic

Nov 17, 2017
Gonna be in town the next few days with a lot of free time, anyone have any recommendations for board/card game shops worth checking out? Also any recommendations on where the best coffee place is? I'm pretentious as hell when it comes to coffee, hate Starbucks and always on the look out for a good local coffee.

Philz coffee

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Cards and Comics Central is the big goto for cards and comics. Whether I was on a magic, yugioh, or pokemon binge, I'd get my goods there, though isn't as big as suburb comic/card shops. Also has Volcano Curry close-by which both my wife and I adore.

Good hipster coffee is Ritual. A lot of mom and pops around here serve it. Cinderella's bakery does. There is a Ritual store in the mission and one off . As said above, philz is good too. It's my Friday goto. Cumaica is pretty great as well. Lot of little shops on Divisadero as well for coffee. They also have 4505 BBQ... but I'm not a fan. They say it's KC style, but I'm a Texas NC kinda guy and think it's overrated. Sad that Black Bark is still out of commission.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Also any recommendations on where the best coffee place is? I'm pretentious as hell when it comes to coffee, hate Starbucks and always on the look out for a good local coffee.
My vote goes to Andytown, it's a small roaster that has a few locations near sunset district. It's by far one of the better roasters in the bay and offers great pastries and unique drinks (try a plover.) Others would be Verve, Ritual, Equator, Four Barrel, and Saint Frank. Each of them have their own unique style and speciality in the coffee scene. These are the ones I'd suggest as a coffee snob in order from best to alright.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017

Cards and Comics Central is the big goto for cards and comics. Whether I was on a magic, yugioh, or pokemon binge, I'd get my goods there, though isn't as big as suburb comic/card shops. Also has Volcano Curry close-by which both my wife and I adore.

Good hipster coffee is Ritual. A lot of mom and pops around here serve it. Cinderella's bakery does. There is a Ritual store in the mission and one off . As said above, philz is good too. It's my Friday goto. Cumaica is pretty great as well. Lot of little shops on Divisadero as well for coffee. They also have 4505 BBQ... but I'm not a fan. They say it's KC style, but I'm a Texas NC kinda guy and think it's overrated. Sad that Black Bark is still out of commission.

My vote goes to Andytown, it's a small roaster that has a few locations near sunset district. It's by far one of the better roasters in the bay and offers great pastries and unique drinks (try a plover.) Others would be Verve, Ritual, Equator, Four Barrel, and Saint Frank. Each of them have their own unique style and speciality in the coffee scene. These are the ones I'd suggest as a coffee snob in order from best to alright.

Thank so much for the recommendations! Gonna try and hit 2 different coffee shops each day to get those in.

Think Cards and Comics sounds great and had to look up Volcano Curry as my wife is a huge fan of curries, so gonna try and make sure to stop there.

Thanks again!

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Thank so much for the recommendations! Gonna try and hit 2 different coffee shops each day to get those in.

Think Cards and Comics sounds great and had to look up Volcano Curry as my wife is a huge fan of curries, so gonna try and make sure to stop there.

Thanks again!

Caveat, It's japanese style curry. Wife loves it because she's japanese hahaha. I love it because the katsu and toppings are pretty great.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Cindarella Bakery piroshki's are so fugging good. There's a Mediterranean Bakery called Frena that I'd recommend for cheap eats too. It's on 6th, which is like kinda sketch so I'd like maybe go if you're feeling brave/can tolerate the sketch but it's worth it for their olive pockets IMO.

There's a coffee shop near my place called Saint Frank that the hipsters love, if you want to hit that up. I can attest to it's deliciousness.

Oct 27, 2017
Cindarella Bakery piroshki's are so fugging good. There's a Mediterranean Bakery called Frena that I'd recommend for cheap eats too. It's on 6th, which is like kinda sketch so I'd like maybe go if you're feeling brave/can tolerate the sketch but it's worth it for their olive pockets IMO.

There's a coffee shop near my place called Saint Frank that the hipsters love, if you want to hit that up. I can attest to it's deliciousness.

Saint Frank made the absolute best cup I've ever tasted from their location on Polk. Gone to the new outpost on Mission and it's decent too. Coffee's really hit and miss for me. I'd also recommend Sightglass and I guess Blue Bottle for out-of-towners.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

My points saved at Cindarella could get me endless piroshkis. Still saving them up until they get custom mugs. They tell me they'll make them for me one day. I'm a sucker for their solyanka and golubtsy. Doesn't help that they are only a block from me.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A couple things:

• Oakland's airport is terrible outside of security.
  • It's too fucking cold in the Bay Area during the summer.
It feels like an artic blast outside.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
OH man it's been a while hahaha. Was just at Coin Op the other day and was thinking about that. Well that and how area 51 turns into a bullshit game reaaaal fast.