• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
it still fucking blows my mind how much this guy still pops up and how much people still work with him. did he ever even apologize?

Yes, he did. The woman who he victimised has come out numerous times in his defence - including during the past week or so when people started bringing it up again.

This is most certainly a case of someone reforming their attitudes for the better.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Don't the two tweets directly above your post contradict that?

Scroll up.

I've been dogpiled on this very forum for pointing this out. I'm not saying he should have no role in community or be chased out, but the fact that he's the face of Tekken top 8 every year is embarrassing. Regardless of how he personally may or may not have evolved, his fanbase is toxic and having him up there emboldens them.

Complete agreement. Nobody is asking for him to be banned for life, but Bamco, Capcom, NRS, and majors never really stopped giving him jobs and screen time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They seem to harass people generally. My friend was at a tournament recently and he said that Gilty kept taking pictures of him, and Gilty took his phone so he could follow themself on twitter.

What a weirdo.

M8eg1hH.png

rjPoHcE.png

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Ya from what I heard she's on good terms with him. It was really inappropriate, but he did follow through with apologies and has not repeated the same mistake since. I'd say it's also a lot less creepy than some of the stuff being reported in this thread.

TBH I was really frustrated seeing how much she got sexually harassed on those streams. People were encouraging it so much and I remember just thinking "this dude is a fucking piece of shit" and he was so insistent on harassing her. If he has changed, I'm glad because fuck me his behavior was unacceptable.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
He seems to harass people generally. My friend was at a tournament recently and he said that Gilty kept taking pictures of him, and Gilty took his phone so he could follow themself on twitter.

What a weirdo.

M8eg1hH.png

rjPoHcE.png

She*

Read the top post on this page. At this point I think people should respect the victim's acceptance, as she's having to come to his defense now due to people bringing this up every so often. She shouldn't have to do that.

I suppose, but if he already apologized himself publicly this wouldn't have to happen. Unfortunate

Oct 28, 2017
Bringing this up for the new page

He did. I don't think it was a good apology but at the time it was about the best you were going to get out of him. The overwhelming impression I get is that his attitudes have shifted dramatically. I don't think it's enormously productive to repeatedly bring it up every time someone acts like a scumbag in the FGC.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
He did. I don't think it was a good apology but at the time it was about the best you were going to get out of him. The overwhelming impression I get is that his attitudes have shifted dramatically. I don't think it's enormously productive to repeatedly bring it up every time someone acts like a scumbag in the FGC.
Ok. At least that's something. I think I recall he doubled down at some point instead so that's something.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Floe going with the "accuser is mentally unfit" defense. Wow wow wow.

Glad the FGC is getting this moment. Hopefully it leads to change.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing this up for the new page
Let's take a look at his apology.

When he was first confronted about it, he doubled down.

Giant Bomb's Patrick Klepek has posted a thorough story on the matter. Included in the story is a transcript of Bakhtanians from one one of the episodes. His response when asked, "Can I get my Street Fighter without sexual harassment?":

Aris said:
You can't. You can't because they're one and the same thing. This is a community that's, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it's not the fighting game community—it's StarCraft. There's nothing wrong with StarCraft if you enjoy it, and there's nothing wrong with anything about eSports, but why would you want just one flavor of ice cream, you know? There's eSports for people who like eSports, and there's fighting games for people who like spicy food and like to have fun. There's no reason to turn them into the same thing, you know?
Later, when asked about whether shouting "Rape that bitch!" at a match is acceptable behavior, Bakhtanians replied, "Look, man. What is unacceptable about that? There's nothing unacceptable about that. These are people, we're in America, man, this isn't North Korea. We can say what we want. People get emotional."

When it kept blowing up, he finally threw up an "apology", with classic "sorry I offended anyone" bits.

I understand that I said some controversial statements on the Cross Assault show, and a lot of people are deeply offended with what was said. When I made these statements, I was very heated as I felt that the culture of a scene I have been a part of for over 15 years was being threatened. I unfortunately used extreme examples in the heat of the moment and feel that my statements don't actually communicate how I feel. This is similar to what people say when they get into an argument with their girlfriend, and they say things that they deeply regret. I sincerely apologise if I have offended anyone. My statements do not reflect those of Capcom or myself. The last thing I want to do is get them in trouble for giving me and the fighting game community the opportunity to have an amazing show like this.

What I was trying to communicate is that mild hostility has always been a defining characteristic of the fighting game scene. Back when arcades were more prevalent, people didn't like newcomers, and players needed to fight and pay their dues to get respect. The debate I was in was with a person who supported professional leagues, who have intent to censor the community to make it more accessible. I think the sink or swim mentality is something that defined our culture, and if that succeeds it removes something which has been important to help create some of the best fighting game players of our time. I was unfortunately unable to make this point clearly. Again, I am deeply sorry for offending anyone. This was a combination of the people taking things out of context and my own inability in the heat of the moment to defend myself and the community I have loved for over 15 years.

Aris

Look how he totally avoids the sexual harassment issue. He's not apologizing for that. He's apologizing for doubling down on excusing his scumbag behavior. Genuinely good on Superyan for moving on and forgiving, but this guy received zero consequences at the time and is now a major figure in the FGC. If anything his antics raised his profile and popularity. Like others have said, the kind of community he engenders is 4chan/Kappa-tier trash people. That's the kind of viewer he caters to. Toxic shitheads. So frankly that tells me more about what kind of person he is and what kind of growing up he has done. Fucking fed up of people excusing what he did.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fair to bring that up.

I think it would help to put it in the context of how Miranda feels about it now.

I'm not saying forgive and forget. You can feel dissatisfied about him being involved with Namco Bandai stuff and having a big audience that pay him a significant amount of money but for the sake of this conversation it might help to mention that Miranda is seemingly over what happened back then.

-edit-

Adding another tweet from Miranda that should hopefully settle some of this:

Well, that's something then.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Remember Aris? What responsibility did the community take then? His sexual harassment was captured live on stream. It went on for hours. Capcom didn't even fire him from the show.

hje31z9bhln01.png

At this point it's looking like the FGC is a den of scumbags. Watch how a bunch of people will rush to defend this guy now.

Go read the thread in the sunken place when this was happening. A lot of people who are on these very forums laughed at that shit and thought it was hilarious.

And then got mad when the articles came out about it.

I think it's telling when the reaction isnt' "We sure have a lot of this stuff in our midst maybe we have some issues we need to work out." but instead "Not all FGC."

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
As much as people still call him an ass because of his streamer persona or how toxic his community is, As someone who knows him in real life, Aris attitude has changed significantly since back then. He is a different person and it angers me people continue to bring this up. Yes what he did was really shitty and I am not excusing it. But as she has forgiven him and came to his defense multiple times I think people need to stop making character judgement based off of something that happened years ago. People change. That will be my only comment on this, as I shouldn't speak for him other than that.

Anyways, All this stuff happening today in the FGC with harassment is saddening.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Whether or not you think what Aris did is correct, at this point any beef you have against him with this incident isn't in line with the victim's wishes. You're no longer fighting on her behalf and actively ignoring what she's saying. Which is ironic considering the topic.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Between this, Chris Bahn's sexual misconduct accusations, the assortment of reported roofyings and gropings at Evo, the reactionary backlash to the Women of the FGC panel, the misogynistic FGC Old Head group chat that got aired out in public this week, and the celebration of a convicted spousal abuser's "triumphant return" (even though he was at Evo LAST YEAR)

I have been utterly ashamed of the FGC.

Regarding the last incidient you wrote down I was watching UltraChenTV evo racap and Ultra David tried to do something about it immediately but both Evo and the other party who could possibly be in control of that tweet gave him the run around pointing fingers at the party needing to take care of it.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Regarding the last incidient you wrote down I was watching UltraChenTV evo racap and Ultra David tried to do something about it immediately but both Evo and the other party who could possibly be in control of that tweet gave him the run around pointing fingers at the party needing to take care of it.

I saw David say that too. I was actually surprised that the tweet was STILL up when I wrote the reply.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Aris can he a sing for how somebody can change, but I can't fault some people for not forgiving him. That said you can let him rock along with others who have learned. Gllty however, with such a history, that's a mess.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The FGC has a lot of baggage and attitude due to it's age and the environment it developed in, and it's not surprising that in the last few years it's all finally coming to a head as both awareness of these issues increases, and the size/increasingly corporate nature of EVO and other large tournaments makes it harder to ignore from a commercial standpoint. I know a lot of the old guard and the r/kappa types don't want things to change (and seemingly MrWizard at times with his attitude), but the moment someone tries to hold EVO legally accountable for some of this stuff is going to force his hand.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Okay.... what am I missing here?

I'm not being facetious or "cute" or whatever.

Henny is slang for Hennessy, a brand of cognac.

Tampa Bison is implying people are getting "drunk" off all this MeToo stuff, seemingly implying it's a bad thing that it's happening at all.

(Don't worry I had to look that up too I had no idea what the fuck it meant)

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
The FGC has a lot of baggage and attitude due to it's age and the environment it developed in, and it's not surprising that in the last few years it's all finally coming to a head as both awareness of these issues increases, and the size/increasingly corporate nature of EVO and other large tournaments makes it harder to ignore from a commercial standpoint. I know a lot of the old guard and the r/kappa types don't want things to change (and seemingly MrWizard at times with his attitude), but the moment someone tries to hold EVO legally accountable for some of this stuff is going to force his hand.

Yup. Infil absolutely should not have been able to compete at this year's Evo, and MrWiz is absolutely dead silent on that issue even while commentators and other prominent figures are bringing it up, and it speaks volumes. While I'm glad to see a lot of big names and faces speak up, like it or not Evo is the top dog right now and they need to set an example, and they're really really not. What are they going to do if people start getting restraining orders against other competitors etc?

Good on all of the other TO's stepping up to the plate, I'd feel significantly better attending say CB than Evo right now.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Not really. He's become more of a streamer than a commentator in recent years, so he's more isolated than before, but it's still the same dude who never took responsibility for his harassment.
Does apologizing personally to the person they wronged and not repeating what they did in the past... 7 or so years qualify as taking responsibility for ones action? Because I don't think "not getting banned by Capcom/NRS/Namco" is on him.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does it say about me that I always assume the assaulter is a man, especially in a gaming context?

When we hear about toxicity in gaming it's almost always men who are the perpetrators of that behavior. I'm always surprised to hear about women acting that way, especially towards other women considering that everyone knows how much shit women get from gamers.