DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
fZXMoGz.png

vLZ0DwQ.png

FX's Shōgun, an original adaptation of James Clavell's bestselling novel, is set in Japan in the year 1600 at the dawn of a century-defining civil war. Producer Hiroyuki Sanada stars as "Lord Yoshii Toranaga" who is fighting for his life as his enemies on the Council of Regents unite against him.

When a mysterious European ship is found marooned in a nearby fishing village, its English pilot, "John Blackthorne" (Cosmo Jarvis), comes bearing secrets that could help Toranaga tip the scales of power and devastate the formidable influence of Blackthorne's own enemies — the Jesuit priests and Portuguese merchants. Toranaga's and Blackthorne's fates become inextricably tied to their translator, "Toda Mariko" (Anna Sawai), a mysterious Christian noblewoman and the last of a disgraced line.

While serving her lord amidst this fraught political landscape, Mariko must reconcile her newfound companionship with Blackthorne, her commitment to the faith that saved her and her duty to her late father.

Shōgun is a 10-episode limited series.

egOYcS6.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9Ijf_PXlI

3s2eiQA.png

s5afivk.png

Hiroyuki Sanada as LORD YOSHII TORANAGA
A powerful bushō from a feared lineage and lord of the expansive Kanto Region. He is isolated and outnumbered by his enemies in Osaka Castle when the story begins. But little does anyone realize that Toranaga is a brilliant strategist and a master of the long game.

aS8f1dh.png

Cosmo Jarvis as JOHN BLACKTHORNE
A restless English pilot, John Blackthorne, finds more than he bargained for when his ship washes ashore within the Japanese territory of Toranaga, a powerful warlord who becomes his captor.

Ju6JuE8.png

Anna Sawai as LADY TODA MARIKO
A poised and mysterious highborn woman, Lady Mariko, is deeply faithful and darkly determined. She is married to Buntaro, more in duty than in love, and is a devoted Christian. Highly educated and fiercely loyal, she is trusted by her lord, Toranaga.

fmVMf2P.png

Tadanobu Asano as KASHIGI YABUSHIGE
The charismatic, brilliant and brutal Kashigi Yabushige, Lord of Izu within the Kanto Region. While he serves Toranaga, he peddles his treachery to either get ahead or simply survive, all the while changing his loyalties accordingly.

ZJlo2LD.png

Hiroto Kanai as KASHIGI OMI
Kashigi Omi is the young lord of Ajiro and Yabushige's nephew. He is smart, political, brimming with potential. Despite his youth, his calculations prove useful to powerful people, and he attracts the favor his uncle desires.

T7432oY.png

Takehiro Hira as ISHIDO KAZUNARI
A former peasant, Ishido Kazunari, has raised himself to all-powerful bushō, a member of the Council of Regents and the Protector of Osaka Castle. He hates his low birth but despises those highborn even more. Ishido will stop at nothing to remove Toranaga from the Council and neutralize him as a threat to Ishido's own power.

Ik4NnCb.png

Moeka Hoshi as USAMI FUJI
Usami Fuji's young life is marked by terrible tragedy, which would make her the saddest character if it weren't for her unwavering sense of self as a highborn lady of special pride and nobility. She is the granddaughter of Hiromatsu, Toranaga's closest friend.

icsyiOn.png

Shinnosuke Abe as TODA HIROKATSU / BUNTARO
The brooding, stoic samurai Buntaro (Toda Hirokatsu), whose strength is matched only by his skill for war. He is ruthlessly loyal to his lord, Toranaga, and his father, Hiromatsu. He suffers a single weakness: his jealous possession of his wife, Mariko.

VPGH4a5.png

Yasunari Takeshima as MURAJI
The well-liked headman of Ajiro Village, Muraji is a hardworking fisherman and pious Christian. With a mysterious and well-guarded past, Muraji is devoted to his lord, Toranaga, and his village.

9gX5kjO.png

Yuki Kura as YOSHII NAGAKADO
The bold, brash son of Toranaga, Yoshii Nagakado has a blinding adoration for his father and a strong desire to prove himself. Often acting before he thinks, Nagakado has more heart than common sense.

6oac5u6.png

Fumi Nikaido as LADY OCHIBA
Lady Ochiba is the feared and admired mother of Yaechiyo, the Heir. As the only consort to bear the late Taikō a child, she is ruthless and calculating. Ochiba keeps her alliances to herself and will do anything or be anybody to keep her son safe.

EZmtnox.png

Yuka Kouri as KIKU
The most deft and renowned courtesan in Izu, Kiku is accomplished and skilled in ways known to the select few men who can afford her. While she shares a special relationship with Omi, she is perceptive and ambitious and brings an elevated artistry to her work.

kALzhPv.png

Takeshi Kurokawa as OHNO HARUNOBU

QuDjaZV.png

Hiromoto Ida as KIYAMA UKON SADANAGA

DBgLCBI.png

Created by
Rachel Kondo & Justin Marks

Based on the book 'Shōgun' by
James Clavell

Produced by
Hiroyuki Sanada & Eriko Miyagawa

Executive Produced by
Edward L. McDonnell, Justin Marks, Rachel Kondo, Andrew Macdonald, Allon Reich, Michael De Luca & Michaela Clavell

Composed by
Atticus Ross, Leopold Ross & Nick Chuba

Networks
Hulu & FX

x6iheyL.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAN5uspO_hk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIs9x49DK7I

Red Band Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPL80Xqc_f4

p6Z2QZq.png

"Anjin"
Directed by Jonathan van Tulleken
Teleplay by Rachel Kondo & Justin Marks
February 27, 2024
Companion Podcast

"Servants of Two Masters"
Directed by Jonathan van Tulleken
Teleplay by Rachel Kondo & Justin Marks
February 27, 2024
Companion Podcast

"Tomorrow is Tomorrow"
Directed by Charlotte Brändström
Teleplay by Shannon Goss
March 5, 2024
Companion Podcast

"The Eightfold Fence"
Directed by Frederick Toye
Teleplay by Emily Yoshida
March 12, 2024
Companion Podcast

"Broken to the Fist"
Directed by Frederick Toye
Teleplay by Matt Lambert
March 19, 2024
Companion Podcast

"Ladies of the Willow World"
Directed by Hiromi Kamata
Teleplay by Maegan Houang
March 26, 2024
Companion Podcast

"A Stick of Time"
Directed by Takeshi Fukunaga
Teleplay by Matt Lambert
April 2, 2024
Companion Podcast

"The Abyss of Life"
Directed by Emmanuel Osei-Kuffour
Teleplay by Shannon Goss
April 9, 2024
Companion Podcast

"Crimson Sky"
Directed by Frederick E.O. Toye
Teleplay by Rachel Kondo & Caillin Puente
April 16, 2024
Companion Podcast

"A Dream of a Dream"
Directed by Frederick E.O. Toye
Teleplay by Maegan Houang & Emily Yoshida
April 23, 2024
Companion Podcast

66UPJ5v.png

Shōgun premieres with 2 episodes on February 27th, 2024, with subsequent episodes airing every Tuesday after that.

It can be watched on Hulu, Disney+ and FX depending on location.

dBYSriP.png

Chapter One: Honoring Authenticity
Watch on YouTube

Chapter Two: A Day with Hiroyuki Sanada
Watch on YouTube

Chapter Three: Creating The Costumes
Watch on YouTube

Chapter Four: Creating The Look
Watch on YouTube

Chapter Five: Expanding The Vision With VFX
Watch on YouTube

Chapter Six: A Show Within A Show
Watch on YouTube

Chapter Seven: Battle Cry
Watch on YouTube

Chapter Eight: Building The World
Watch on YouTube

Official Viewer's Guide
Episode Guides, Character Bios, Locations, and Behind-the-Scenes content exploring the story, history, and culture that defined feudal Japan.
Augmented reality to bring the Samurai Armor from Shōgun into your space for an immersive experience.
View Guide

3eAyjP7.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQpvuXHWvH0

"FX's Shōgun stands apart as a genuine masterpiece"
- TIME

"A feast for the senses"
- USA Today

"Shōgun promises to astound in scale and scope, transporting us to Feudal Japan"
- TVGuide.com

"Often violent, sometimes erotic, and at all times magnificent in its pure entertainment factor and period immersion"
- Inverse

"Shōgun stands to be one of the most engaging, impressive shows of the year"
- The Wrap

Rotten Tomatoes - 99% after 88 reviews (as of 03/27/24). See reviews.

Metacritic - 85 after 39 reviews (as of 03/27/24). See reviews.

aKeopns.png

Please tag spoilers for anything that has not officially aired yet.

Considering this is based on a book, which itself is based on real events, please think about using spoiler tags for any book and event points, as well as speculation, that have not been revealed by the show.

7dAjKpF.png

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I am going in blind. I assume this is based off the Clavell book and retells the story of the 80s tv miniseries? I have fond memories watching that show with my mom even if it was definitely not kid friendly.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna check this out on Tuesday. Hadn't planned on it seeing the commercials on tv once in a while.

But that lore video and the red band trailer convinced me.

Pretty excited for it now honestly.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Last year we got a big budget adaptation of The Last Of Us but this year we get blessed with a big budget adaptation of Ni-oh?

/s

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I read the book a long time ago and have also read criticisms of how the author portrays Japan.

Funny thing, though, is that my takeaway was just how insane Europeans were about religion, lol. Even with the apparent brutality present in Japanese society at the time, I found the religious strife between Europeans more disturbing.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
Did they have to use the year 1600? Isn't that pretty much when Tokugawa wins?

From what I have able to conclude is that the series does not intend to represent the real event of the end Sengoku Jidai but a fictionalized version of it. They don't even have the correct family names for the great clans. The character Sanada is playing seems to be the Tokugawa Ieyasu replacement.

I could be wrong with some things as I am not familiar with the book.

OP
OP
DinkyDev

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

FX Miniseries ‘Shōgun’ Is the Most Transportive TV Epic Since ‘Game of Thrones’: TV Review

The FX remake of the landmark 1980 miniseries adds a 21st century perspective and a post-'Game of Thrones' sense of grandeur.
www.pastemagazine.com

FX’s Shōgun Is an Epic, Ambitious Reminder of Everything That’s Great About TV

FX's Shōgun is both a genuine spectacle and genuinely spectacular, a not-to-be-missed experience that reminds us how great TV can be.
This has been getting pretty good reviews.