• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
lots of positive press about this new technology...

New technology could upend the video-game market

a Netflix-style system in which you stream video games from incredibly powerful servers to any device you can imagine — from a game console to a smartphone to a $400 laptop...one such company, Blade, recently launched its Shadow service for users on the East Coast...Shadow lets you play the kind of PC games that normally require a $2,000 machine...we're talking super high-end graphics, 4K resolution running at 60 frames per second, on your smartphone

it sounds, well, unreal. But I've played it, and it works...and if it proves successful, it could completely change the industry from the we pay to the way we play...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/new-netflix-style-system-change-play-video-games-135708043.html

Oct 31, 2017
its still to expensive, also 30 euros only for one MONTH with a special one time only promo code. also the connection sucks, i tried it last week and its keep freezing and the image quality is awful. paperspace and geforce now work so much better than this ripoff.

Well, my bro has been using it for quite some time now and he loves it.

And it's 30€ per month on my side if you jump in from now till January 9th. You can stop whenever you want. Price is fixed.

Pinco

Feb 16, 2018
I've been using it since August and couldn't be happier! The recent update they delivered a couple days ago made everything even better. No input lag, great video quality, easy settings.

The most important factor is obviously your internet connection speed. I have a 100mb connection, I live in italy and I connect to the main server in France. Always been smooth.
Sure it's a bit expensive for 30 Euro per month but I can't buy a new gaming desktop pc now (and probably never will if Shadow keeps improving!).

By the way, I have a 10,00 €/$/£ discount code if anyone wants to try it for 1 month: MOD EDIT: No referral codes, please.

The games I've played so far with my Shadow PC (all at max settings):
kingdom come deliverance
forza horizon 4
warhammer mechanicus
far cry 5
final fantasy xv
dishonored 2
hellblade
nier automata
the crew 2

Last edited by a moderator:

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
300-450€ a year is a good price IMO for a service like this.

Well... It is if they change the hardware at least each other year for high end GPU.

You are losing IQ and Latency compare with a local machine of course but it also opens interesting scenarios for on the go gaming/professional uses or second residences.

But ey, if you have good fiber at home, you can already make your own "cloud" without much trouble.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just do not like the restriction of options being on a cloud based machine for gaming only. And connections issues. It'll probably take quantum entanglement before I'm ready lol.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just do not like the restriction of options being on a cloud based machine for gaming. And connections issues. It'll probably take quantum entanglement before I'm ready lol.

The tech is pretty incredible, I'm just not there yet.

Pinco

Feb 16, 2018
Probably someone has used my referral code that I posted above, maybe a lurker, because I have received a notification from Shadow.
Whoever you are, if you are an Era member it would be great if you could post your impressions about Shadow here in the thread.

BTW, my code is still valid and it will give anyone a 10,00 €/$/£ discount for a new Shadow subscription if they want to try it for 1 month: MOD EDIT: No referral codes, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
300-450€ a year is a good price IMO for a service like this.

This is what I've been saying.

Over 5 years, you end up paying more than just buying your hardware.

And that's without considering any other issues, from lack of ownership to lack of modding to lack of multifunction utility.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
The customer service for Shadow is absolutely awful. I signed up to try it over the holidays when they had a promo for $25 for the first month. I signed up around Dec 27-28 because I was on vacation and wanted to play Atlas with some people from my MacBook. I sign up, Shadow charges me, then I get a notification that it takes them 5-7 days to set up your account. There's no mention of this delay before you sign up. Well, it didn't end up being 5-7 days. It was about 14-15 days. Meanwhile, that entire time, I was trying to reach them to try and cancel. The only way I talked to anyone was through Facebook messenger. They told me they couldn't do anything for me and that I had to call the customer service number. Nobody EVER answered that customer service number. In the end I had to dispute my charge with the credit card company due to Shadow being unresponsive.

I guess if you don't mind waiting 14-15 days for setup, awful customer service, and $35 a month, it might be a good service for you.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone talks about the cloud but no one cares about the poor computers that make up the cloud.