• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
There's an alternative control scheme for those who wants more modern controls. Tho, I never understood the complains about the originals
I beat the original and felt like I was battling the controls most of the time. Though I didn't play it when it was released, do maybe I'd just gotten to used to how characters control nowadays.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for Sonic,I already have Shadow of the Colossus,so is not a good month for me,but good for my backlog and I am happy more people will try and play one of the best games of all time,yeah Shadow of the Colossus is that good.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
An absolute masterpiece and an absolute turd, thanos would be pleased.

98fdc7205a7209d34d95cdd5bce345c5.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Great. Another bad month on PS Plus. Kinda feels like the norm nowadays.

Can't wait for it to somehow manage to get even worse next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Never played SOTC. What am I in for?
Oh man... it's a great experience.

First, don't fight the horse controls. She has a sense of direction, you don't need to steer her like a car or character. Just nudge the direction you want to head towards. She won't walk off cliffs and bridges or run into walls. As long as you're holding or tapping the "giddyup" button (lol), she'll get you you around obstacles.

And don't fight the camera. There are many camera tools to use like a lock-on and zoom and all should be dabbled with but never relied upon.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
This is actually a great month for me, I have the SOTC remaster on PS3 but never finished it so the PS4 version is a welcome upgrade and I've been craving some Boost Sonic gameplay. Don't know much about Forces but I'm assuming it's similar to Unleashed & Generations?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another meh month for me. SotC is awesome but I have it already. I will check out the trainwreck that is Sonic Forces. With other services including way more stuff, why are they sticking to a stingy two games per month?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yep. How many chances have people had to play FF7 (PS1, PC, iOS, PS4, Switch, etc). I think people are still pretty excited for the Remake.
You really can't compare FF7R to SotCR. FF7R is a reimagining really, it's nothing like the original game except storyline. Whereas SotCR is literally a remake, the same game, the same gameplay, but with modern graphics.

Not that there's anything wrong with that at all. SotCR is incredible work. But you're comparing apples to oranges.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Another meh month for me. SotC is awesome but I have it already. I will check out the trainwreck that is Sonic Forces. With other services including way more stuff, why are they sticking to a stingy two games per month?

The shitty but honest answer is because they can.

They have ran over Microsoft the entire generation. It will take falling behind or at least actual competition to change that.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
PS+ has been such a waste of money for the the last ~3 years. I've played maybe 2 of the games they've given me in that time? Even when it's a 'good' month it's just games I already own.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super happy for SotC remaster, but honestly these past few months have had mediocre offerings for me. Hoping that Sony will improve for PS5 launch.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Never played SOTC. What am I in for?

As someone who didn't play it back in 2005, and finally got it last year, it's an interesting yet deeply flawed experience.

The art direction, and scope, especially for a fifteen year old game, is impressive, but the controls are so bad, it makes me wonder why they decided to update everything in the game except for that.

Let me be clear, SOTC has the worst controls of pretty much any big game I've played on the PS4. They are unbelievably awful, and completely ruined the experience for me. I ended up hating the game because of it.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You really can't compare FF7R to SotCR. FF7R is a reimagining really, it's nothing like the original game except storyline. Whereas SotCR is literally a remake, the same game, the same gameplay, but with modern graphics.

Not that there's anything wrong with that at all. SotCR is incredible work. But you're comparing apples to oranges.

I don't think they are completely apples to oranges. The story is a huge part of FF7 and that's going to remain mostly the same as the original. I would agree that FF7R is a more extensive remake than SotC. Also, it's easy to forget that the PS4 is many young gamers' first console. So this will be their first time experiencing SotC.

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who didn't play it back in 2005, and finally got it last year, it's an interesting yet deeply flawed experience.

The art direction, and scope, especially for a fifteen year old game, is impressive, but the controls are so bad, it makes me wonder why they decided to update everything in the game except for that.

Let me be clear, SOTC has the worst controls of pretty much any big game I've played on the PS4. They are unbelievably awful, and completely ruined the experience for me. I ended up hating the game because of it.

...isnt there an updated control scheme option?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Other services? Game pass is better, but also more expensive. The comparable one is XBLG, that i would say it's usually worse than plus by a big margin.
And as most services, chances are that you own some of the games, especially popular ones. You also get discounts that usually are worth alone the price of you are aware and but stuff on psn

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other services? Game pass is better, but also more expensive. The comparable one is XBLG, that i would say it's usually worse than plus by a big margin.
And as most services, chances are that you own some of the games, especially popular ones. You also get discounts that usually are worth alone the price of you are aware and but stuff on psn
I'm also counting Epic Game Store as a service. They give free stuff all the time. I suppose they need to in order to build a customer base but as someone that enjoyed random indie games appearing in PS+ when they offered more games, that makes PS+ less appealing than before in that regard. The discounts are often good, though.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Forces sucks but it's the punishment Sonic fans deserve after being so down on Lost World. Which was actually pretty decent/food.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Isn't that just remapping the buttons more or less? Like the modern one won't put jump on Triangle since games don't do that anymore… except The Last Guardian. Does it actually change anything more than that?

Nothing earth shattering, but the fact that dodge roll now has a dedicated button makes a big difference. I also found aiming the bow to be easier, at least from what I recall of the original.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I just picked up Sonic Forces on Switch because it was like 5 bucks. I never thought I'd buy it, but after replaying Sonic Mania so many times and then the new SEGA AGES Sonic 2, I was curious to try out the new Modern Sonic, despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews.

It's not good! But it's not nearly as bad as I expected.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
definitely seen turds that look better than Wander's face

Imagine someone said God of War is a turd because it has less enemy variety than the original Super Mario Bros. Sure they'd be right, but ignoring everything else about the game to focus on one particularly negative thing just kinda sucks.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think Sonic Forces is worth checking out. I enjoyed it. It's super short but I think it's one of the better 3D Sonic games.