Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
28272971979_b22fc82991_o.png

Welcome to the official Shadow of the Colossus Photography Thread. :)

The remake of one of the most celebrated and beloved games is arriving very shortly. Bluepoint Games, the talented Austin, Texas based developer behind this remake, reimagined the original Fumito Ueda game, its world and characters, with utmost care and love for detail.
They also provided us players with a cool, in-depth photo mode to capture and share that beauty from our point of view.

There are already some amazing SotC galleries springing up all over the internet and I've already seen some of the members here sharing their photos, so let's join in with our very own Resetera SotC Photography Thread.
Before we get going, please take a look at the rules of this thread...

Thread Rules:
1) Two screenshots per post and two consecutive posts allowed.
2) Put the console (PS4 or PS4 Pro) in the first line of your post, also specify if photomode- or gameplay shot.
3) 4K PS4 Pro screens are allowed, 1080p screens are however highly recommended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nice photography already, guys. :)

Unfortunately technical difficulties prevent me from posting my own photos yet...

Better put 4k, vertical pictures like this in quotes or thumbnail. So it doesn't blow up the thread like this. ;)

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nice photography already, guys. :)

Unfortunately technical difficulties prevent me from posting my own photos yet...

Better put 4k, vertical pictures like this in quotes or thumbnail. It doesn't blow up the thread like this. ;)

I personally love it to see vertical (1080p) pictures in a thread like this, cause they will be shown in 1:1 pixel count (on my 1366x768 resolution laptop) and you don't have to click on it to reveal the full picture.

Man I love the resolution mode, no chance to switch back for this run.

PS4 Pro, Resolution Mode, 1080p super sampled, Photo mode (without any filters or changes)

DdnhOjh.png

lLqx97T.png

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man I love the resolution mode, no chance to switch back for this run.

I fully agree. The game deserves to shine in higher, crisper resolution, when the framerate already is a very stable 30fps. Some in this forum suggested before 60fps on Pro would be a no brainer, but nope, not for me. Resolution mode all the way. :)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
PS4 Pro, Resolution Mode, 1080p super sampled, Photo mode (without any filters or changes)

SHADOW_OF_THE_COLOSSUS_20180203193214.png

Aq9MEEe.png

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

e60aW23.png

cRWLlmz.png

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

qO7VYeE.png

s6PWink.png

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

0nkrI3Q.png

d8jEFUR.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why the hoster that I chose does that right now, this site was perfect, maybe my pictures get to many views. D: Never had this problem, I switch back to imgur and edit them.
Imgur compresses images. I'd recommend Flickr.com. It's free, no adds, no compression and lots of memory for years. :)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Imgur compresses images. I'd recommend Flickr.com. It's free, no adds, no compression and lots of memory for years. :)

Are you sure? I know that it normally compresses the pictures from PNG in JPEG but you can deactivate that and it uploads in 1:1 quality and leaves it at PNG. Its the first time I hear that.

But sure, if that's actually the case I will create a flickr account.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure? I know that it normally compresses the pictures from PNG in JPEG but you can deactivate that and it uploads in 1:1 quality and leaves it at PNG. Its the first time I hear that.
But sure, if that's actually the case I will create a flickr account.

Ah, I didn't know you can deactivate that.
Great last batch of photos by the way! :) It literally hurts that I can't share mine for now, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I didn't know you can deactivate that.
Great last batch of photos by the way! :) It literally hurts that I can't share mine for now, lol.
Boo hoo! I need to wait until after work on Tuesday to even play the damn thing!

You're lucky your thread helps pass the time =P.

Edit: Apparently, I can pick it up at 9pm Monday!

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Question, I'm totally clueless when it comes to super sampling and all of that but I'm assuming you take 4k shots then convert it to a 1080p image?

I want to post more but should I take them in 4k or switch the PS4 setting to take 1080p shots? Or does it not matter too much?

Just something I've been curious about, especially now that I CAN take 4k shots.

Great images, btw! Those last 2 are wallpaper worthy!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Question, I'm totally clueless when it comes to super sampling and all of that but I'm assuming you take 4k shots then convert it to a 1080p image?

I want to post more but should I take them in 4k or switch the PS4 setting to take 1080p shots? Or does it not matter too much?

Just something I've been curious about, especially now that I CAN take 4k shots.

Playstation Settings "Sharing and Broadcast" (Or something similar, have it in German), Screenshot Settings and there you can choose between 4K or 1080p screenshots.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

You could do two things:
The easiest way would be to indeed just switch the screenshot resolution in your PS4 Pro share settings to 1080p. Pictures will be automatically supersampled. The images I posted in this thread are all screens taken with the 1080p share setting:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/horizon-zero-dawn-screenshot-thread.3988/

If you want to save all your screens in 4K resolution, for whatever reason, you can leave on 4K screenshot resolution, transfer the images to your computer and simply use an image editing program like Photoshop to downsample the images to 1080p. This is more work, but this way you could also save 4K versions of your screenshots.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips, guys.

PS4 Pro, Photomode, 1080p

05sdn.jpg

kzs9u.jpg

I believe the 2nd picture uses the Radiant filter.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
I picked my up from a mom and pop store in NYC.

PS4 Pro Mode, Photomode, 1080p

cxslb.jpg

foshx.jpg

If you zoom into the 2nd picture, you'll see someone hanging around, lol.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I knew this thread would come so soon. Let the game shine through your photographies.

PS: How did you get the game before the release?

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
By Playstation, but people might enjoy to see these:

PS4 Pro, Photomode

25197305457_66b5c869c8_o.png

25197304027_290ebbedb3_o.png

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see a box-art contest - a ton of these images seem like they would make for awesome covers.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't believe how the hair on the colossi are just texture planes and not real physic based strands. They look so grood. The whole engine is amazing and surpasses some flagship ones. I really hope Bluepoint makes a new IP with this engine.