• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, gotta say I feel like the off screen footage indicates this game retains quite a bit more of the original's art style than the two trailers indicated. I'm pretty hyped now!

Last edited:

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
No, it's absolutely not. It's a perfectly reasonable reaction.

But as I mentioned earlier, it's a tinsy bit disingenuous to compare a painting, which is critiqued on a much different scale and subset of evaluations, to a videogame. I know you're purposefully isolating the visual/graphical aspects of the game to form a more suitable comparison, but here's where our main difference lies: In the marriage of art forms that converge to make a videogame (especially such a well conceived one in its final simplicity), isolating certain visual cues and graphical quirks and attributing most of the game's thematic conveyance solely on them, to the point where you're ripped out of the world when they're changed, done away with or otherwise altered in favour of higher fidelity... personally, I feel it's just, I don't know... pedantic? Nostalgic? Nostalgically pedantic? Lol But I'll admit this may have been indeed reactionary of me. Perhaps it does truly holds that much weight for you. And, again, even though I may think it pedantic in the grand scheme of things, it's still within reason... Hell, your love of its strictly visual narrative is so strong it might have elicited an equally knee-jerk reaction to the remake, seeing as you're warming up to the changes as more footage becomes available.

To be clear, my critique was solely regarding the art direction of the remake but I never felt that ALL of SOTC's value was restricted to art direction, though I do think its accurate to say Fumito Ueda makes games that are visual/audio experiences more than ones where the focus is on gameplay (like Zelda). Much of the game's narrative is told via gameplay/player's action, but it is also the animation, art direction (visual style, approach to world building) and music that gives it the emotional significance unique to those games.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I saw footage of Wander climbing Agro from her rear, pretty sure that wasn't possible before, right ?

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Game of every generation here. With the news of there being visual filters I cannot be more hyped. Just exploring that world feels so ethereal. A part of me feels like they might of hidden the 17th Colossus in there along with the alternate ending Ueda wanted. People have been looking for it for a decade .___.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember it's been so long but was the camera control wonky in the original?

I thought by default it was inverted so up was down and left was right or am I not remembering correctly?

Also we're we able to change that?

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember it's been so long but was the camera control wonky in the original?

I thought by default it was inverted so up was down and left was right or am I not remembering correctly?

Also we're we able to change that?

There were/are a lot of complaints about the controls being janky in the original.

You could fix the inverted camera controls in the original, so the same is probably true of the remake.

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like putting Agro's galloping on triangle is a mistake, X is the more comfortable option and you end up holding down that one button much more than jumping around. Frankly the original control scheme was fine.
Agree. I think they will offer the original controls as an option though. (Good to see you here btw!)

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, show of hands.

Who in here managed to climb to the top of the shrine of worship? :P

Oct 31, 2017
There is one small issue in the OG game that is fixed in the remake that is worth all the million of dollars and years of development for me: there is actually a sword in the sheath now when wander puts it away!!!!
Old:
CP3FOJ6.png
New:
AnOOtXW.png

I know I'm insane but it drove me crazy in the original game OK?!?!

Last edited:

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Never played and don't to spoil myself by watching videos but do this game have regular enemies? Or just the colossus?

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks amazing. I never got very far in the original so this will be a relatively fresh experience for me.

Oct 31, 2017
Never played and don't to spoil myself by watching videos but do this game have regular enemies? Or just the colossus?
just colossi, it's a boss rush game essentially.
You start by navigating the huge labyrinthine world to find the colossus, then you kill it and repeat the process for your next target until you've beat em all. It may sound simplistic and repetitive but it really isn't, every colossus is literally an enormous puzzle that needs to be solved for you to prevail.

Last edited:

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game looks great visually and the previews seem to indicate it runs smoothly so this is another title I'm very much looking forward to.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Agree. I think they will offer the original controls as an option though. (Good to see you here btw!)
Same. Nice avatar. :)

There is one small issue in the OG game that is fixed in the remake that is worth all the million of dollars and years of development for me: there is actually a sword in the sheath now when wander puts it away!!!!
Old:
CP3FOJ6.png
New:
AnOOtXW.png

I'll never unsee this now.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played this first time around. This gameplay trailer just sold me on it. Absolutely fantastic music and sound effects aswell.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Here's the offscreen gameplay footage that might reassure some fans that more of the OG game's atmosphere will be preserved than what the two PGW trailers indicate:

It also has the best view I've seen of Wander's face since the announcement trailer (but still too low res to really see what he looks like).

His animations still bug me though. :p

Oct 31, 2017
Here's the offscreen gameplay footage that might reassure some fans that more of the OG game's atmosphere will be preserved than what the two PGW trailers indicate:

It also has the best view I've seen of Wander's face since the announcement trailer (but still too low res to really see what he looks like).

His animations still bug me though. :p

this looks really freaking solid every time new footage is released, the animation of wander climbing agro from the back has to be new, i don't have access to the game right now to test it but i could swear i've never seen it before, also I think the animation looks janky because he tried to climb him on uneven ground.

The thing I'm most interested in though is how they are going to handle facial animation and cutscenes in general, team ico managed to put lots of emotion in wander's face in the final cutscene of the game even with limited technology, let's hope that bluepoint's version won't be too jarring when put against the high quality graphics.
Gyht7xu.png
really love the glowing black eyes, the damaged skin and most importantly the desperate expression he has as he tries to crawl toward the girl, really hope they can preserve the emotion of such an iconic scene in the remake

Last edited:

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
If nothing else, I hope this remake doesn't mean there's no hope of playing the original SOTC and Ico on current and future gen consoles (legit play them, not stream them).

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Old:
CP3FOJ6.png
New:
AnOOtXW.png

Truly the most important thing ever. Backplot: The remake was only made just to fix that one mistake.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Of all these games boasting new horse technology, the horse in the footage shown looks better than anything I've seen. Something about it just looks cool.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda disappointed they didn't include new collosi. Even ones just Bluepoint made up.

Idk like, even with yet another fresh coat of paint, I've played this already, sure it looks prettier now but I'm having trouble justifying that being worth $40.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I am kinda disappointed they didn't include new collosi. Even ones just Bluepoint made up.

Idk like, even with yet another fresh coat of paint, I've played this already, sure it looks prettier now but I'm having trouble justifying that being worth $40.
I don't think you are part of that target audience. It's gonna be a game that aims for people who never played either the original PS2 release, the PS3 remaster or any of the Fumito Ueda/Team Ico games.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
French direct feed gameplay. Here we see a lot more than in other footage so far. Even some of the cutscenes.

Looks absolutely stunning! One of the most atmospheric uses of lighting that I've seen in a game so far.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
All this footage looks amazing. Ignoring anyone from now on who tries to use meaningless phrases like this is lacking "personality"

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
French direct feed gameplay. Here we see a lot more than in other footage so far. Even some of the cutscenes.

Looks absolutely stunning! One of the most atmospheric uses of lighting that I've seen in a game so far.

Nice.

xxMCMdW.jpg

bPrWsiL.jpg

Mono looks pretty similar. Dunno bout Wander.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
If anyone ever asked me if games were art then this is the game I'd show them. A true masterpiece of the highest order and easily one of my favourite games of all time. I can't wait for the remake.