• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
Day 1.

I'd fiddled with the original on PS3 but fell off because it felt touchy on the controls. That's my fault for waiting so long to jump in.

But a remake? Sounds like it'll iron out most problems I had getting into it! Very excited. It feels like FROM played this game 1,000 times before making a Souls game. So somber.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
dammit marty. how is having to hold a button to grip a complaint?
my biggest issue with the last guardian was how you didnt have to hold a button to grip, and it just kinda did it for you. that shit was SO fucking frustrating

having to manually hang on is infinitely better
Yeah, really didn't like that you just held on automatically in TLG, felt less interactive. I think with the remake, my new order is.

Sotc
Ico
TLG

Oct 31, 2017
Nice.

xxMCMdW.jpg

bPrWsiL.jpg

Mono looks pretty similar. Dunno bout Wander.
there's something weird about wander in the remake, I think it's a combination of things: they seem to have reworked most of his face and body proportions and made them more masculine, he now have a shorter hairstyle too, they also significantly shrunk down his poncho in the remake, in the og it covered the shoulders and the dangly things around his waist completely.

All of these things make him look a little bit older with a slightly bulkier westernized look. I don't know how I feel about that to be honest. I always liked how weak and small his body looked coupled with his androgynous face, it has helped make it obvious that wander is no seasoned warrior and it made the contrast with the colossi all the more impressive as a result.

I must say that the rest of the game still looks impressive as fuck though.

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the chance to play this at PGW today. It looks incredible, I'm loving the details like the grass, foliage, water in that wood area from the trailer. Don't have any complaints with the way it controls either. Performance was good but it was demo'd on a PS4 pro so I can't talk about regular PS4.

Some visual stuff has been changed, obviously, but it still looks really cohesive. Still weird that we're getting this game but it's one of my favorite games ever so I'm really excited to play the full version.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice.

xxMCMdW.jpg

bPrWsiL.jpg

Mono looks pretty similar. Dunno bout Wander.

Okay I'm not liking the look of this.

There's a lot more detail and care put into the original stone textures, with the moss growing between and on the bricks, even if they're much lower resolution.

The new one looks way too clean in comparison. I'm actually starting to miss that overall gloom of original.

Fuck.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also about content, Ueda says he intended the game to have 16 and so this will have 16, but also admits to sending a proposal of changes for the remake. What would he change apart from the number of colossi? I can only think of the ending but I always thought a different ending would only happen with a different number of colossi.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Side note about the new forum's image styling, why does maximizing an image go over TOP of everything else? Including the post itself or other pictures so you can only see one at a time. Hope it's fixed soon.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Watching the video, all the publications saying that it is the same control scheme as the original game didn't do any of their homework to see that it is utterly not the case. R1 to brandish the sword to the light, accelerating with Triangle, Jumping with X, gripping with R2. It's far more in line with modern control.

Considering they didn't even consider the difference in button layout makes me scared we'll have another TLG situation on our hands

EDIT : circle to roll instead of R1+Triangle, it's sooo different

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty concerned about the emotional impact of this version.

Ueda is one of the few art directors in the industry I know of who's characters in-game seem like they are dynamically thinking and reacting to their environment in subtle ways. I'm not yet sold that we're getting this with the remake:

r1GLudT.png

tumblr_mqf37ePsR21qzqt8do1_500.gif

Mono looks ok to me, but not feeling Wander's new face, design and animation at all and I still maintain that more effort can go into bringing the character and world to life in the PS4 version similar to how they do it in the OG.

And I know the main takeaway a lot of peeps will have when reading this post is "bitter fanboy, etc", but whatever. Put on your glasses, buddy.

Last edited:

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Also about content, Ueda says he intended the game to have 16 and so this will have 16, but also admits to sending a proposal of changes for the remake. What would he change apart from the number of colossi? I can only think of the ending but I always thought a different ending would only happen with a different number of colossi.

Seemed clear the list was was more about tweaks he wanted for the remake to be more true to what he was going for when he directed it, not regarding any extra or changed content. We'll probably never know what tweaks he noted since he said publicizing it is a no go because it might reflect poorly on bluepoint if it was revealed there were creative differences between them.

Last edited:

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Pretty concerned about the emotional impact of this version.

Ueda is one of the few art directors in the industry I know of who's characters in-game seem like they are dynamically thinking and reacting to their environment in subtle ways. I'm not yet sold that we're getting this with the remake:

r1GLudT.png

tumblr_mqf37ePsR21qzqt8do1_500.gif

Mono looks ok to me, but not feeling Wander's new face, design and animation at all. Again, given how rare you see this in games I can't be too mad, clearly GenDesign have some rare talent in that regard, but I still maintain that more effort can go into bringing the character and world to life in the PS4 version similar to how they do it in the OG.

And I know the main takeaway a lot of peeps will have when reading this post is "bitter fanboy, etc", but whatever. Put on your glasses, buddy.
thats what im saying
wander looks straight up bad
even ignoring the fact that he also looks different from the original game

Error

Oct 30, 2017
New member here, happy to find you all guys.

Here is a gameplay video from the game, from Paris Games Week:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think Wander's face is unfinished, unless eagles spook him now.

o8aOUqo.jpg

I think they have definitely toned down the anime/bishounen sensibilities of the original character design.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I think Wander's face is unfinished, unless eagles spook him now.

o8aOUqo.jpg

I think they have definitely toned down the anime/bishounen sensibilities of the original character design.

That, and every shot of his face seems to indicate he has a plasticy, less lively expression. So weird. I'm worried I'm gonna be cringing at the cutscenes, but maybe his face is unfinished. But the game's coming out in three months so not sure.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

The detail that bothers me most is that the hair tech is still stuck in the PS2 area to be honest. In all footage that I've seen so far Wander's hair seems to be rigidly stuck in place, even while riding through a sandstorm.

I noticed too that most of the temple looks really clean and new, apart from a few grass tufts growing here and there. Which is strange, because in other parts of the world I noticed really well done crumble and decay of structures.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The detail that bothers me most is that the hair tech is still stuck in the PS2 area to be honest. In all footage that I've seen so far Wander's hair seems to be rigidly stuck in place, even while riding through a sandstorm.

I noticed too that most of the temple looks really clean and new, apart from a few grass tufts growing here and there. Which is strange, because in other parts of the world I noticed really well done crumble and decay of structures.
there's probably certain things they can only do so much with, since its essentially the original game underneath. i also notice the same with how the ground cracks and breaks when the colossi stomp their feet. the effect is identical to ps2 just with higher quality textures. but its still just polygons appearing out of nowhere and disappearing. no actual deformation of the ground

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Jumping animations seem to be virtually identical.

UgLbIAr.gif
3k6mtr0.gif

Maybe they are building this on top of the original, buried somewhere underneath the new coat of paint.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
They have? There has been no interview whatsoever with anyone involved in the development of this game.
hrm, maybe youre right. i guess ive just been assuming based on the trailers and this interview

Famitsu: The next question is about Shadow of the Colossus. Is this a remaster version, or is it a remake version?

Shuhei Yoshida: "It is a remake. The game content is the same as the original version, but all the assets are being remade. I figured we could use such tech to make if we're going to make Shadow of the Colossus in the PS4 era. Bluepoint is the development company behind the PS3 remaster versions of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. So we know them rather well."

Famitsu: So the game will have the same content it had in its PS2 version.

Yoshida: "It's the same, but player preferences for controls and such change over time, so we're working on implementing a more modernized way to play. And of course you can play with a feel of the original version, but what we're doing is showing how great the original work is, using today's technology. Ueda-san (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and the Last Guardian lead designer Fumito Ueda) wasn't that involved much this time."

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
They have? There has been no interview whatsoever with anyone involved in the development of this game.
Nobody from Sony or Bluepoint has confirmed this, but this has been clear to me from everything that they've shown.

This is a remake in the same way that the Master Chief Collection was. Same underlying engine as before (probably from the PS3 port) with all new assets substituted in. I'm sure they're making some small adjustments along the way as well. I've noticed less clipping when grabbing onto ledges and climbing colossi, for example.

But in every piece of footage that we've seen you'll notice that every animation, every camera movement, the timing of every animation and audio cue in cutscenes, etc. are 100% identical to the original. I'm pretty much positive that this "remake" is the PS3 remaster underneath.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know SCEJ is helping. Also that Wander comparison makes no sense when the images are low res and far away :/

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
hrm, maybe youre right. i guess ive just been assuming based on the trailers and this interview

Yeah I had read that before. I'd really like to read some input from the people working on it. It's weird how there's nobody representing this game.

Nobody from Sony or Bluepoint has confirmed this, but this has been clear to me from everything that they've shown.

This is a remake in the same way that the Master Chief Collection was. Same underlying engine as before (probably from the PS3 port) with all new assets substituted in. I'm sure they're making some small adjustments along the way as well. I've noticed less clipping when grabbing onto ledges and climbing colossi, for example.

But in every piece of footage that we've seen you'll notice that every animation, every camera movement, the timing of every animation and audio cue in cutscenes, etc. are 100% identical to the original. I'm pretty much positive that this "remake" is the PS3 remaster underneath.

Some animations are different, the running one really stuck out to me.

6YPrnDX.gif
vJ0OFRP.gif

You can also notice the rather obvious change to more realistic proportions for Wander.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

You can also notice the rather obvious change to more realistic proportions for Wander.
Oh, sure. There have been some slight tweaks to in-game animations and models have been reworked, but it's seems very clear to me that the base on which they're working here is the PS3 engine from the HD remaster.

So I guess you could say that they go a step further than what was done in the Master Chief Collection, but it's still using a ported version of the original game as its underlying base. I have little doubt of that. There's no way that they built this game from the ground-up with some other engine. Cutscene framing and timing is 100% identical as well, only with all textures, models, and effects replaced with newer ones.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jumping animations seem to be virtually identical.

UgLbIAr.gif
3k6mtr0.gif

Maybe they are building this on top of the original, buried somewhere underneath the new coat of paint.

See, it's weird. Some areas look vastly improved by the increase in poly count and texture resolution.

But the pictures you posted above showed a jarring sterility to the texture on the shrine's altar, whereas the original has this kind of implied sentience, or the presence of a remnant elemental entity embedded in the rocks and stone work. Almost like the whole place is seeping with a strange menacing magic, as if it were alive...

The original shrine atmosphere really gave you the haunting impression you were trespassing on the realm of an ancient natural deity thanks to those touches in the textures.

I really hope that's not entirely lost.

Oct 31, 2017

6YPrnDX.gif
vJ0OFRP.gif

Other examples of changed animations:
3mHzK3w.gif
w37XXY1.gif

also completely different combat stance:
aodBhis.png
Y1aZIcp.png

It seems clear to me that they are going for a more "composed" Wander, who shows more confidence and precision in his movements(sword resting low, feeling almost too heavy for him in the og which feels like the pose of an amateur, but in the remake the sword is upright and ready while wander assume an almost "professional" fencing stance).

As I said before I prefer a more amateur, vulnerable looking Wander, but bluepoint's version, even if it's going in a different direction, still looks high quality so far.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Okay, so summary!

Wander looks worse in the remake
Temples look worse in the remake

Colossi look better in the remake
Natural environment (forest) look better in the remake

Animations are subjective

???

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmmmm....now that there's a "better" version of the game, what is the likelihood of the original version ever seeing the light of day on current or next gen PSN?
There's always emulation, ps3 emulation is progressing really fast lately, if progress doesn't suddenly slow down I could see gamers being able to play a stable version of the ps3 hd remaster in 4k and even possibly 60fps on pc in a couple of years.