• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OminousShadow

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty concerned about the emotional impact of this version.

Ueda is one of the few art directors in the industry I know of who's characters in-game seem like they are dynamically thinking and reacting to their environment in subtle ways. I'm not yet sold that we're getting this with the remake:

r1GLudT.png

tumblr_mqf37ePsR21qzqt8do1_500.gif

Mono looks ok to me, but not feeling Wander's new face, design and animation at all and I still maintain that more effort can go into bringing the character and world to life in the PS4 version similar to how they do it in the OG.

And I know the main takeaway a lot of peeps will have when reading this post is "bitter fanboy, etc", but whatever. Put on your glasses, buddy.

Wtf is up with Wander's face in that pic

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
Many might have missed this on the previous page, but here's the complete PGW demo (instead of just a couple minutes of cut short gameplay), including cutscenes:

My new favorite footage. I just hope they add in the scene where colossus #1 falls to his knee after you stab his calf. It just adds more weight to your actions.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
You can quantify to some degree what makes something dreamlike. There is a reason why SOTC, Ico and TLG are often described that way and a game like Horizon rarely, if ever, is. There's more going on visually in the new game from a tech perspective, sure. More shadows, higher detail textures, more detail, etc no doubt. That's my main issue. When I say there is more going on in Ueda's verson, I mean that in the sense that you might use in describing a Claude Monet or Van Gogh painting compared to a photograph of the locations those paintings portray.

I don't know what exactly the secret ingredients are that Gen Design uses in their art direction, but it's more than just bloom, fog, color filters, ect. There are several games in fantastical settings that use many or all of those fx, but end up looking no where near as enigmatic as Team Ico games. And you'll probably chalk that up to nostalgia or whatever, but it's still being reductive to say my judgement/appreciation of the new and old SOTC games are clouded by it.

I'm a professional illustrator who works in the games industry. I've worked on games that are fairly well known. I can confirm there are many water cooler conversations with other creatives in which we talk about Ueda's games and how unique their visuals are. We can re-create AAA-quality visuals with little issue, but there's something to our eyes that is uniquely expressive and enigmatic in Ueda's art direction that we may never know how to re-create. It's like trying to redo a D'angelo, MBV, Boards of Canada or Sigur Ros song. You kinda...can't do it justice. A game like The Witcher and Skyrim? Nah, you pretty much can. Get more processing power, add more detail and fx and you'll end up with something that looks like the next step. This SOTC remake isn't really a step forward - more like a step in another direction...maybe a slight step back in some ways. That's how we see it at least.

Thank you for this post and further ones, I'm with you, TLG is the only next-gen Team ICO title that still has the charme and artistic direction their game deserve.
This SoTC remake looks more like an UE4 fanmade remake with a lot more resources, but still the lack of sensitivity to get the original vibe of the game, sadly.