• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen these new screens directly shared here:

shadow_of_the_colossus_paris_games_week_sceen_7.jpg

shadow_of_the_colossus_paris_games_week_sceen_6.jpg

shadow_of_the_colossus_paris_games_week_sceen_2.jpg

shadow_of_the_colossus_paris_games_week_sceen_3.jpg

shadow_of_the_colossus_paris_games_week_sceen_9.jpg
Good grief these are beautiful.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
anyone else still a little underwhelmed by wander's character model?
i feel like he would look better with a shader similar to the boy in the last guardian. maybe a little less cartoony, but closer to that than what is in there now

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
anyone else still a little underwhelmed by wander's character model?
i feel like he would look better with a shader similar to the boy in the last guardian. maybe a little less cartoony, but closer to that than what is in there now

I noticed his hair does not move at all in any of the footage that we've seen so far and his cape(?) does imo behave a little strange too.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Let me reiterate that I'm not saying that what you're seeing is not there, or that it doesn't hold as much artistic value as you say. It's definitely there and its merits are undeniable, otherwise why we would have retro games, or pixel art, or low poly styled games on the powerful current gen?

Fine, but let's keep in mind the entire reason we're having this debate is because you thought it was necessary and accurate to label anyone ITT who is critical of the new visuals as being too stubborn and drunk on nostalgia to appreciate the changes made, and then essentially labeling them pretentious and/or a charlatan for defending their position.

original.jpg

The core of your argument ITT from the beginning is really not much different than writing off someone who is critical of the painting on the right being "fixed" to look like the painting on the left. Is taste subjective? You betcha. Nothing wrong with preferring the one on the left if that's your bag. But is it unreasonable for Van Gogh fans to prefer the Van Gogh and/or feel upset if it was announced that the remake the left will be replacing the other's place on the wall in the museum it hangs in? Because this is very similar to what is currently happening with SOTC. It really is that straightforward and I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that.

Also, right now there's a lot of uncertainty over whether the original will be playable on current and future hardware now that the "upgraded" version exists. This is a reasonable cause for concern. Will I ever get to play the original with 1080p, 4K or 8K graphics on my PS4-PS9 one day, or is it forever restricted to old hardware that will become defunct relatively soon? So there's that aspect of it too.

In the end I'm not so much talking about artistic value (which is definitely subjective to a point) as much as artistic intent, specifically regarding the perspective that might inform an art director's design choices. Authenticity is important to me. If you had the choice between seeing Massive Attack live (with Andrew Vowels and Tricky no less!), or a cover band, etc. Hearing Hendrix play vs. hearing someone else play Hendrix, etc.

So I hate the visuals in the remake? Nope! Again, they look pretty slick. But they do not capture many of the the enigmatic qualities of Team Ico/GenDesign games, that I look for when, uh, playing their games.

My point is that you can't slam this remake and hail the originals art direction (deliberate or incidental) objectively, all in one fell swoop. It just doesn't work that way.

It was never a goal of mine to do that, and I've been pretty straightforward about not viewing my response to these games in previous posts as "objective", "better", "correct", lol. But it's not delusional to recognize that while personal taste as a fan of art is subjective, there indeed ARE quantifiable design sensibilities that gave way to the art direction of the original classic - things that greatly contribute to the atmosphere that game is known for - that are absent from and/or altered in the remake because…reasons? And it's reasonable that it would rub Ico and SOTC fans the wrong way. And saying that the new art direction captures all the feels of the original while maybe even improving on it(?) is reductive of the vision of Team Ico. But it's difficult to go into the specifics of how some art might quantifiably have more feeling in it than other similar art, and that's a long and messy discussion as you can see so let's not go down that road.

And being disappointed in Bluepoint's take on the art direction is definitely not "slamming" what they've have accomplished. They seem to be interested redoing the visual style of an iconic (arguably visionary) game into their own interpretation of what that game should look like on current gen hardware. This is fine aside from how their art direction seems to be taking a bit more inspiration from Naughty Dog and Guerrilla or something (Maybe even From Software) than the original dev team's current gen work (technically a last gen game give some current gen bells and whistles, but anywho). An argument might be made that it's more difficult (maybe impossible?) to replicate such a unique visual language, but an equally sound argument can be made that they should have reigned in some of their "updates" to stay more true to the visual feels of the original.

So it's not about slamming all the hard work they've done remaking the visuals as much as disagreeing strongly with the premise of how to they approached going about it.

But I dunno, based on the overwhelmingly positive response it's getting, my take seems to be against the grain on this and maybe I shouldn't care that the PS4 remake of a game with iconic art direction I loved looks is going for more of an Uncharted hyperreal look than trying to stay true to theaesthetics of the original.

I dunno, maybe I really am a cranky jerk who takes video games too seriously. *shrug*

Whatever, time to talk about something else.

Last edited:

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I never denied the original visual effects were altered! Lol

BTW, quick Google of gfxtwin confirms my suspicions regarding their internet ego. Their profile on dayonepatch.com lists:
"Xbox, beer, waifu pillows, ice cream, Skrillex" as Interests. So much for that sophisticated taste...

And judging by this post on a SOTC remake topic, it's definitely them.

They do post on conceptart.org, though, and they're not half bad, so I still regard their opinion with respect. This isn't supposed to be some "got 'em!" post to humiliate them, as much as a sign that maybe they should pare back the condescending tone.

I'm sorry if this took the discussion too far off topic.

Whatever man, I love my coors light, my little pony waifu pillow, and the smooth sounds of Skrillex. Come at me, brah.

Kinda cringing that you looked at my old concept art profile TBH. I had no idea what I was doing back then lol. My skills have improved a lot since then and I rip off the visual style of Team Ico in my paintings much better now.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
There's some more gameplay footage on Gamercyde:

URenGxq.gif

The graphics are growing on me. As critical as I am of the art direction in the remake, it ain't ugly. It looks amazing actually and I'm looking fforward to playing it. It ain't the genuine article, but considering the original SOTC is a game made by a team with an arguably uninimitable artistic vision...as an interpretation of that vision, the visuals in this current gen remake are about as good or better than anything I could imagine being made by any non-GenDesign studio.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY

URenGxq.gif

The graphics are growing on me. As critical as I am of the art direction in the remake, it ain't ugly. It looks amazing actually and I'm looking fforward to playing it. It ain't the genuine article, but considering the original SOTC is a game made by a team with an arguably uninimitable artistic vision...as an interpretation of that vision, the visuals in this current gen remake are about as good or better than anything I could imagine being made by any non-GenDesign studio.
Jesus, this is insane.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Time to buy SoTC for the third time, seems like Bluepoint did a great job with this remaster.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked out the 9-minute off-screen (no sound) gameplay video over at GamerSyde. It shows basically the journey to and fight with the 3rd colossus -- in my opinion one area where the atmosphere of the original PS2 game was most acute.

Look, Colossus is one of my favorite games. It's one of the games I've re-played the most times, probably close to 20 times. That said, I haven't actually touched it in years. The last time was probably when the PS3 version came out. I think this new version definitely has a bit of a different atmosphere about it, but it also still looks very different from typical AAA open-world games so far. It looks really amazing in its own way really. It doesn't look like Horizon or Witcher 3. Maybe it looks a bit like Uncharted 4. The feeling of a vast landscape peppered with unknowable ancient ruins is still there though.

One thing I noticed is the PS4 version still seems to employ a lot of fog. Maybe not the exact same amount as the PS2 version, but it's definitely noticeable compared to a "regular" recent game. Mostly what I'm noticing is the landscape feels like it's a different color -- brighter maybe. The bloom is definitely much less aggressive compared to both the PS2 version and The Last Guardian. There was still a sense of mood transition from the main section of the forbidden land to the area where the 3rd colossus is fought. I think Bluepoint did take some artistic liberties to go with the drastic increase in detail. I'd really like to see more footage of interior places of the PS4 version of SOTC like the caves and ruins.

Oh, and I actually think the gameplay trailer showing the 13th colossus is pretty spoilery for people who haven't played the game at all. It pretty much spoils the whole strategy and the emotional impact of what is probably the most popular colossus fight in the game.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
This game is so good, also 60 fps on the pro, last time i played this it was when it came out on the ps2, one of my favourite games of all time.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loving all the footage, it's shaping up to be great.

I don't really see why people are whining about it so much. If you want something that looks like the original, why not, well, buy the original? There's a PS2 version, a PS3 version, and you can emulate the PS2 version at any resolution you want.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
One thing I noticed is the PS4 version still seems to employ a lot of fog. Maybe not the exact same amount as the PS2 version, but it's definitely noticeable compared to a "regular" recent game. Mostly what I'm noticing is the landscape feels like it's a different color -- brighter maybe.

I might be wrong, but it seems like a lot of that fog is there to act as invisible walls in the demo. It's unlike anything in the original game in that it's a giant, opaque cloud of mist that to me seems to communicate "don't go here!". Again, just a guess.

I feel like the color palette is skewing a bit more towards grey and brown in this one. The original had a cooler tone, more blue/light gray with brighter, cooler greens. But it's possible that, like in the original, post processing filters will make things look differently depending on your distance to them.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Loving all the footage, it's shaping up to be great.

I don't really see why people are whining about it so much. If you want something that looks like the original, why not, well, buy the original? There's a PS2 version, a PS3 version, and you can emulate the PS2 version at any resolution you want.

Hopefully there will be a PS4 port of the SOTC/ICO HD collection, or at the very least a PS2classics port on PSN, because I don't fuck with PSNow.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

URenGxq.gif

Apparently there's fog blocking the way, it looks incredible, the flowing grass is seducing

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn marty at IGN said it plays great but camera and controls are still Janky? Why can't they get it right??

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
gfxtwin All your assertions regarding Team ICO's artistic intent can be summed up by two words: "subjective conjecture"; and as for being labelled a charlatan and a blowhard, you did it all by yourself.

Assuming a negative stance right out of the gate for BluePoint's effort reeks of nostalgia, especially given the evidence posted in this thread. Authenticity can only get you so far in multimedia, and it would be unfair to assume the remake's priority be anything but to remain authentic while it so obviously bestows a level of fidelity that makes the original seem tragically unfinished.

But, perhaps the struggle to fully realize his vision with the limited tools of his time is what you find so endearing as a fellow artist; in fact, it's encouraging to find people who dissect this colossal achievement in our great big multifaceted medium and extract so much meaning.

It's commendable.

But it's difficult to go into the specifics of how some art might quantifiably have more feeling in it than other similar art, and that's a long and messy discussion as you can see so let's not go down that road.

This is precisely the type of discussion we should be having. Sadly, we seem to have gotten off on a sore foot.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man to imagine how long it will take Nintendo to have a Zelda with this fidelity.

Not complaining about BotW. But just imagine.

Can't wait for the remke. Will triple dip at that point. Ditto for Okami later this year.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's absolutely wonderful, they re-used the same camera set-ups than the original but it looks so much better in terms of atmosphere. Not that the original wasn't great itself, but the remake managed to make me feel things again, which is already a tremendous achievement after playing the original so many times. Being able to see the open-world from far out on top of Gaius' head with so much details is a new sight I want to discover.

The most striking shot of the gameplay video :

sdfgsegdmsls.jpg

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

URenGxq.gif

Good GOD! That looks incredible!!! I'm fanboying so hard right now. LOL

I'd love to see some of your more current art BTW. I'm more of a Ralph Steadman/Shinkawa man, myself. ;)

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if anything extra was added. Game is great and even though it was empty I thought the atmosphere of the first was amazing. Was fun being online with people trying to find hidden things in the world but it ended up being mostly empty. Seems almost like a waste given this upgrade for there to be nothing to find.

Oct 27, 2017
I never played the original but got spoiled on the ending a long time ago. I absolutely loved TLG, and the ending was a huge reason why. I`m sure the journey/gameplay itself is great, but Is it still worth going through it without having this emotional pay off?

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a professional illustrator who works in the games industry. I've worked on games that are fairly well known. I can confirm there are many water cooler conversations with other creatives in which we talk about Ueda's games and how unique their visuals are. We can re-create AAA-quality visuals with little issue, but there's something to our eyes that is uniquely expressive and enigmatic in Ueda's art direction that we may never know how to re-create. It's like trying to redo a D'angelo, MBV, Boards of Canada or Sigur Ros song. You kinda...can't do it justice. A game like The Witcher and Skyrim? Nah, you pretty much can. Get more processing power, add more detail and fx and you'll end up with something that looks like the next step. This SOTC remake isn't really a step forward - more like a step in another direction...maybe a slight step back in some ways. That's how we see it at least.

Why are you referring to your opinion on the remake with the pronoun "we," as if every illustrator or designer in the game industry agrees with you about this?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The game can't run at more than 30fps on the PS3 anyway. As it is occasionally drops into the mid-20s. Ueda's feelings on the matter actually do not matter.

Eh? I'm pretty SOTC on PS3 ran at a rock solid 30, as long as you weren't in 3D. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-hd-collection

Please, please add some kind of bonus colossi for us to fight. The deleted ones still burn deep.

I really struggle to understand this request. Why would you want a different developer than Team Ico adding and likely editorializing substantial content here? People are upset another about minor lighting/fog changes, I can't imagine the criticisms of new colossi executed by and large by bluepoint.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Lots to reply to, might get to some of it later, but for now:

Why are you referring to your opinion on the remake with the pronoun "we," as if every illustrator or designer in the game industry agrees with you about this?

Nah, that was in reference to the art team I'm on, and kind of every creative I've talked to about Team Ico games. Anecdotal observation, definitely not claiming to speak for all illustrators or whatever.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lots to reply to, might get to some of it later, but for now:

Nah, that was in reference to the art team I'm on, and kind of every creative I've talked to about Team Ico games. Anecdotal observation, definitely not claiming to speak for all illustrators or whatever.

And every creative you've talked to feels this direction is a step back? That's kinda hard to believe. I'm a "creative," as vague as that term is, and I don't.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I really struggle to understand this request. Why would you want a different developer than Team Ico adding and likely editorializing substantial content here? People are upset another about minor lighting/fog changes, I can't imagine the criticisms of new colossi executed by and large by bluepoint.
There were Colossi cut from the original for whatever reason - if Bluepoint added them back in, even as post-game content or DLC I would be thrilled.
They aren't adding any bonus fights.
Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There were Colossi cut from the original for whatever reason - if Bluepoint added them back in, even as post-game content or DLC I would be thrilled.

Has this been confirmed anywhere?

I think that has actually been confirmed some time ago by the developers. Don't have any source right now though.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think one thing that's been perplexing me is the idea that every decision made in the original title was creative or artistic, and not at all made in part due to hardware restrictions.

It's important to remember that some of the things you absolutely love were simply the the result of the hardware not being powerful enough, and as such you should accept the possibility that on more powerful hardware, what you love so much may not have existed at all, at least not in the way you remember it.