• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I think that has actually been confirmed some time ago by the developers. Don't have any source right now though.

It was Eurogamer. Ueda confirmed there that were won't be new colossus on this remake:

He [Ueda] also shot down any hopes of any cut Shadow of the Colossus bossesbeing reinstated and finally seeing the light of day

"In this game there are 16 enemies and there's a story about 16 enemies," he told me, "so to change this history... I don't think about changing this history. It's finished with 16 enemies. It's OK."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ges-for-the-shadow-of-the-colossus-ps4-remake

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
And every creative you've talked to feels this direction is a step back? That's kinda hard to believe. I'm a "creative," as vague as that term is, and I don't.

Not necessarily, though a few have pretty much phrased it that way, sure. And not a step back entirely, just a step back in the sense that there are some things (like more expressive animation (flappy wrists aside), mood, originality, etc) that haven't made the jump to this current gen version even though they have been expanded upon in the current gen work of the original team. There's probably no more than 20 people I've talked to about this game in-depth, but they're all pretty knowledgeable at their respective crafts for what that's worth.

And I don't think it's necessary for someone to make art to be able appreciate the nuances of some artist's aesthetic AT ALL, but I do often get a sense that many gamers might not know a lot about what makes the Team Ico visual style unique and influential, and that irks me sometimes. I've heard countless replies in threads on forums and social media that essentially amount to observations like "they just slather bloom and motion blur over everything for no reason", "they don't know how lighting or color theory works", "Why do the characters speak Japanese? They should be dubbed in english", "SOTC is boring because it has no NPCs and towns or collectables, Ico is just one long and boring Zelda Dungeon with bad controls", and all of that of course comes off as reductive and shortsighted.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not necessarily, though a few have pretty much phrased it that way, sure. And not a step back entirely, just a step back in the sense that there are some things (like more expressive animation (flappy wrists aside), mood, originality, etc) that haven't made the jump to this current gen version even though they have been expanded upon in the current gen work of the original team. There's probably no more than 20 people I've talked to about this game in-depth, but they're all pretty knowledgeable at their respective crafts for what that's worth.

And I don't think it's necessary for someone to make art to be able appreciate the nuances of some artist's aesthetic AT ALL, but I do often get a sense that many gamers might not know a lot about what makes the Team Ico visual style unique and influential, and that irks me sometimes. I've heard countless replies in threads on forums and social media that essentially amount to observations like "they just slather bloom and motion blur over everything for no reason", "they don't know how lighting or color theory works", "Why do the characters speak Japanese? They should be dubbed in english", "SOTC is boring because it has no NPCs and towns or collectables, Ico is just one long and boring Zelda Dungeon with bad controls", and all of that of course comes off as reductive and shortsighted.

Well, I agree that a lot of those things are reductive and silly criticisms, although it's entirely subjective. But I don't know that being simply a gamer instead of a game designer makes one any less capable of understanding those elements of Team Ico's brilliance, much as being a music lover rather than a musician doesn't make one less capable of understanding the creativity of many of the musicians and other artists you listed earlier in comparison to Team Ico. In fact, I know highly trained musicians who think many of those artists you listed earlier are basically pointless new-age crap, and can't find an appreciation for much outside the realm of classical music. Of course I disagree with them, but these sort of things are difficult to quantify, as are the reasons why Team Ico's games strike such a chord with many people, myself included.

Anyway, I think they've done as good a job as one could reasonably expect recapturing the unique feel of SotC based on the footage we've seen presented so far. It's really impossible to know for certain until we get our hands on the new game, but I'm impressed with the showing.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think one thing that's been perplexing me is the idea that every decision made in the original title was creative or artistic, and not at all made in part due to hardware restrictions.

It's important to remember that some of the things you absolutely love were simply the the result of the hardware not being powerful enough, and as such you should accept the possibility that on more powerful hardware, what you love so much may not have existed at all, at least not in the way you remember it.

Considering that they were willing to make the game run at sub-20 fps to make their vision fit, I think they are still proud of the work they made and that whatever they cut wasn't that important.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Man that intro still gives me the chills. The art style seems fine to me but I can see where some of the criticism comes from. Game remakes are like cover songs, they are never going to replace the original version, but if we keep doing them we might get a video game eqivalent of Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
Tiny as hell but here's your box art for Shadow of The Colussus
DNgdoefWAAAoD2l.jpg:large

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Considering that they were willing to make the game run at sub-20 fps to make their vision fit, I think they are still proud of the work they made and that whatever they cut wasn't that important.

I don't think they weren't proud of it by Any means, but I also don't think we should assume nothing was cut because of the frame rate. There are PLENTY of games through the last decade that have seen many cuts visually (aka "downgrades") and still struggled to maintain a decent frame rate.

I just think nostalgia can heavily influence our opinions and thoughts, particularly with remakes or remastered. That said, we shouldn't poopoo the team for making some creative changes that stray from the original. I think it's pretty unlikely the core experience will be so significantly different that it's unrecognizable, and no one will have there experience marred by different textured pillars or varying levels of fog, etc.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
gfxtwin All your assertions regarding Team ICO's artistic intent can be summed up by two words: "subjective conjecture"; and as for being labelled a charlatan and a blowhard, you did it all by yourself.

Assuming a negative stance right out of the gate for BluePoint's effort reeks of nostalgia, especially given the evidence posted in this thread. Authenticity can only get you so far in multimedia, and it would be unfair to assume the remake's priority be anything but to remain authentic while it so obviously bestows a level of fidelity that makes the original seem tragically unfinished.

Look, I know you're probably uneducated and/or ignorant, but please stop being such a filthy plebeian and learn to appreciate the more sophisticated aspects of visual art. I'm tired of having to dumb down my more superior understandings of that subject to you. Please refine your taste and accept that you currently lack the intelligence quotient to win this important pissing contest about which playstation game has better graphics.

Joking aside, let's just get to the heart of this disagreement so we can move a step closer to wrapping it up:

You are a fan of a visual artist who pioneered and has kind of owned a specific aesthetic that you love and connect with. Van Gogh, Picasso, Monet, Bacon, whomever.

You want to buy one of their paintings. The only option you have is to buy a version done by another artist that forgoes some of the stylistic choices they made to make their work more distinguishable and special in favor of ones that give the image more readability and detail. How does this make you feel? Is it unreasonable or reasonable to be let down by this? Is being bummed out by this a sign of clouded judgement or stubbornness, and if so, why?

But, perhaps the struggle to fully realize his vision with the limited tools of his time is what you find so endearing as a fellow artist; in fact, it's encouraging to find people who dissect this colossal achievement in our great big multifaceted medium and extract so much meaning.

It's commendable

I actually think they dropped the ball in optimizing the OG game. It ran like shit on the PS2, and I do not miss the jaggies and low framerate. When I say I'm for preserving the aesthetic of this PS2 game I'm NOT including the technical limitations of the hardware that restricted the extent of what it could be. Some might be nostalgic for PS2 graphical quality the way one prefers the sound of cassettes to CD or vilyl - that's fine, but not at all what I'm talking about.

I connect with their style, and, no, it's not a matter of finding "the ways the dev team adapts to lack of processing power" endearing or whatever lol. I love the visual style as it exists on the PS2 and carries over to the PS3/PS4. As you can see with TLG, there are visual idiosyncrasies that have been in all of their games that are not present in the SOTC remake. A sound argument can be made that, in many ways, the SOTC remake looks like some talented developers got a PC version of a game made by them and modded it to look more "normal". I ain't about that life, fam.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if this has already been answered, but are they improving any mechanics or adding in new boss fights?

Otherwise unsure why they're redoing SotC for a second time, the PS3 version already fixed the shortcomings of the original and looks fantastic.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has already been answered, but are they improving any mechanics or adding in new boss fights?

Otherwise unsure why they're redoing SotC for a second time, the PS3 version already fixed the shortcomings of the original and looks fantastic.

They will adjust the controls slightly to make it easier to play, will offer the original controls as an option.

No additional content.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's pretty unlikely the core experience will be so significantly different that it's unrecognizable, and no one will have there experience marred by different textured pillars or varying levels of fog, etc.

I actually agree with this. The more I see of the remake the better it looks (both in the sense of being accurate to the look of the original and appreciating it on its own merits). It's not lost on me that at the end of the day, it has to be appreciated for what it is - a current gen remake of a PS2 game from a team with an unimitable art director that is being helmed by a different team who don't have many of those design sensibilities. That's fine. And as much shit as I give the new art direction, it would've been easy for it to end up looking like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim or something and thankfully it retains enough idiosyncrasies of the original style to prevent that from happening.

Last edited:

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping they add at least a harder difficulty like a mode that makes the grip gauge invisible or add more weak points to the colossi

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they add at least a harder difficulty like a mode that makes the grip gauge invisible or add more weak points to the colossi

The original game already had that.

Invisible HUD? I'd rather not. That just seems like it'd be frustrating. There are no visual indicators on Wander of him losing his grip strength.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You want to buy one of their paintings. The only option you have is to buy a version done by another artist that forgoes some of the stylistic choices they made to make their work more distinguishable and special in favor of ones that give the image more readability and detail. How does this make you feel? Is it unreasonable or reasonable to be let down by this? Is being bummed out by this a sign of clouded judgement or stubbornness, and if so, why?

No, it's absolutely not. It's a perfectly reasonable reaction.

But as I mentioned earlier, it's a tinsy bit disingenuous to compare a painting, which is critiqued on a much different scale and subset of evaluations, to a videogame. I know you're purposefully isolating the visual/graphical aspects of the game to form a more suitable comparison, but here's where our main difference lies: In the marriage of art forms that converge to make a videogame (especially such a well conceived one in its final simplicity), isolating certain visual cues and graphical quirks and attributing most of the game's thematic conveyance solely on them, to the point where you're ripped out of the world when they're changed, done away with or otherwise altered in favour of higher fidelity... personally, I feel it's just, I don't know... pedantic? Nostalgic? Nostalgically pedantic? Lol But I'll admit this may have been indeed reactionary of me. Perhaps it does truly holds that much weight for you. And, again, even though I may think it pedantic in the grand scheme of things, it's still within reason... Hell, your love of its strictly visual narrative is so strong it might have elicited an equally knee-jerk reaction to the remake, seeing as you're warming up to the changes as more footage becomes available.

It's clear to me is we're coming from the same place. We're both obviously big fans, but thing is...

I'm a bigger fan :P

Oct 31, 2017
new gameplay from gamersyde:

lvDb96S.gif

Ig2w0Lq.gif

even if you disagree with the artistic direction of the remake, you gonna admit something... this looks fucking breathtaking, you can tell that the BluePoint guys are giving this project their all to make this game look as good as it does.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the PS3 ICO/SotC collection for years but still haven't got around to playing them. This is not helping my motivation :<

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Initially I was on board the " botched art direction" train but the more I'm seeing of this remake, the more I'm convinced they actually nailed it. It looks perfect and gives me the same foreboding atmosphere as the original. The only question I have is whether this is going to be the exact same game with prettier graphics or are they going to add some new content.

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much the Colossai that I'd like to see expanded, as the order to do them in. It'd encourage exploration better if you could tackle them as you wanted (apart from maybe the last one).

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. The trailer made me worried about the visuals but this looks aboslutely stunning.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
what is this? a demo change... why aren't we being engulfed in the The Smoke Monster after it is cast out from the Colossi, and brought back to the Ruins?
It's unfinished.

I'll be using the original controls. The "pincer" feeling of jumping with Triangle and then grabbing with R1 feels perfect IMO.

I'm probably too used to the OG controls as well. I don't blame 'em for the change, X is the default jump button in most games...however triangle is Ueda's favorite. :P

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait for this game. Played 3-4 bosses of the remaster on PS3, but I left it for something and never went back to it. Very excited for the PS4 version though and at £30 it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
The best game ever made. Day 1!!

By the way. Did anyone ever find any connections between The Last Guardian's world and SOC/ICO??

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
All these off-screen gameplays are making me excited whereas I was acting as a snarky skeptic during the announcement. I definitely have qualms about some changes but it made me feel something. To think I could re-experience the same feelings as I first played the game in my lifetime, I'd take all the changes and more.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
new gameplay from gamersyde:

lvDb96S.gif

Ig2w0Lq.gif

even if you disagree with the artistic direction of the remake, you gonna admit something... this looks fucking breathtaking, you can tell that the BluePoint guys are giving this project their all to make this game look as good as it does.

At 4:20 there is a nice added touch of a dust devil. It just helps with the atmosphere.

Ancirawr

Oct 26, 2017
Denton, TX.
February 6th release date? With this and Owlboy on consoles February is already starting to feel stacked a bit o.o god knows they'll only announce more release date for that month. Bring it on!