• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Finally got home and did some testing on this supposed firmware fix for the dreaded yet ignored SotC texture streaming issues on PS5.

And, well...

t40aNMX.gif

As far as I can tell, the issue has been fully, completely addressed here in some recent firmware update. The game now runs as intended on a PS5 both from the internal SSD or an external drive. All of the proper detail textures load in when they should and without randomly jumping between LOD states. Basically, the game now runs and looks exactly how it did on the PS4 Pro.

I would love for someone in the games press to call this out, because frankly I think more people need to know not only about the original issue (as it still might plague some other Sony first-party PS4 games on PS5) but also this silent fix that Sony pushed out without any acknowledgment whatsoever. It's nice to know that they have someone, anyone behind the scenes working on addressing game-specific backwards-compatibility issues like these even if they don't go out of their way to publicize such work.

If you need visual evidence, check out these before-and-afters that I snapped. Again, this was an issue that happened consistently and constantly on every PS5 before this update whether people noticed it or not. Today is a great day.

FvKJbIcWcAIGeSw

FvKJhdwWAAEVgV9

FvKJbq2XoAQs1Va

FvKJhFXWcAAeV1v

FvKJbZvWwAIMdZ9

FvKJh-9XwAIsW6Q

Again, if whoever fixed this at Sony is out there and comes across this thread. THANK YOU.

Hell yeah. I'm happy for you... and also for me! Now when I eventually get a PS5 I won't have to worry about keeping my PS4 Pro on retainer for this game. Haha!

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So glad this is fixed, now I can play it.

Just how many other games have these similar issues? From this thread I've seen Prey, Horizon, and Killzone Shadowfall mentioned.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So glad this is fixed, now I can play it.

Just how many other games have these similar issues? From this thread I've seen Prey, Horizon, and Killzone Shadowfall mentioned.
Pretty sure Days Gone and Last of Us Part 2 exhibited asset streaming issues on PS5 as well.

SotC was always the most egregious one though. It was a complete mess before this fix while the others were more subtle and harder for the average person to notice I think.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
How's the framerate on PS5? I want to play the remake at some point (Only recently got the platinum for the PS3 version, and have played the heck out of the PS2 version previously, so it's going to be a while) and it's good to see the graphical hitches worked on.

Also Bluepoint should remake ICO for people who've missed out on it previously on PS5 (And maybe a PC release down the line).

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I wish they updated The Last Guardian for 60fps gameplay. :(
Disc version without update is running 60fps on PS5 but sadly after update, it becomes 30fps. I'm playing it for the first time these days (my PS4 had problem with running it) and really enjoy it, but frame rate feels so slow after playing lots of 60fps games on XSX and PS5.
Dear Sony, make a remaster collection of all Ueda-San in 4K60fps please! They totally worth it.
TLG crash on various point when playing at 60FPS, so you are forced to patch the game again, play at 30FPS, go forward and unpatch the game again to continue playing at 60FPS, until the next game breaking part.

It really need some work to be possible, and with Japan Studio that is dead and Ueda working on something else for Epic, this is never gonna happen... not even BluePoint, that is an internal studio of Sony actually patched SoTC but it was a FMW update doing the job, let's not even talk about a 120FPS version (PSVR2 as well?) for PS5.

Sony doesn't care enough about old games sadly to make it happen :(

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Pretty sure Days Gone and Last of Us Part 2 exhibited asset streaming issues on PS5 as well.

SotC was always the most egregious one though. It was a complete mess before this fix while the others were more subtle and harder for the average person to notice I think.
Can't be worse than Days Gone on PS4 Pro... the textures and assets literally disappeared, it looked like when GTA SA couldn't load shit on my broken PS2 X'D

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
TLG crash on various point when playing at 60FPS, so you are forced to patch the game again, play at 30FPS, go forward and unpatch the game again to continue playing at 60FPS, until the next game breaking part.

It really need some work to be possible, and with Japan Studio that is dead and Ueda working on something else for Epic, this is never gonna happen... not even BluePoint, that is an internal studio of Sony actually patched SoTC but it was a FMW update doing the job, let's not even talk about a 120FPS version (PSVR2 as well?) for PS5.

Sony doesn't care enough about old games sadly to make it happen :(
Didn't know that about the situation of game without updates! Thanks for explanation.

Issues not fully addressed

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Regrettably, I must inform everyone in this thread that after further testing I've concluded that the problem has been improved but not fully addressed. After beating the fifth Colossus on a fresh playthrough, the texture streaming issue returned in full force. This time around it just wouldn't load the high detail textures on pretty much anything in the environment no matter where I went, and the problem remained even after quitting out to the main menu and reloading my save.

Fully closing out the game and relaunching it brought back the proper texture detail, but it seems like returning to the temple after defeating any colossus is what tends to trigger the resurgence of the asset streaming issues. And once the issue returns the only recourse is to fully relaunch the game.

Here are some pics I took of it happening on the latest firmware:

FvNOptmWAAIusSi

FvNOqClXsAA6Z9I

FvNOqXOXwAEQmI7

FvNOqsDXwAIS8Je

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Regrettably, I must inform everyone in this thread that after further testing I've concluded that the problem has been improved but not fully addressed. After beating the fifth Colossus on a fresh playthrough, the texture streaming issue returned in full force. This time around it just wouldn't load the high detail textures on pretty much anything in the environment no matter where I went, and the problem remained even after quitting out to the main menu and reloading my save.

Fully closing out the game and relaunching it brought back the proper texture detail, but it seems like returning to the temple after defeating any colossus is what tends to trigger the resurgence of the asset streaming issues. And once the issue returns the only recourse is to fully relaunch the game.

FvNOptmWAAIusSi

FvNOqClXsAA6Z9I

FvNOqXOXwAEQmI7

FvNOqsDXwAIS8Je
The dream is dead... it was too good to be true.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The dream is dead... it was too good to be true.

Ah well, sucks that this is still an issue... It'll be staying on my PS4 Pro for a while then lol

It's still a big improvement over what we had before with SotC running on PS5, however. Before it was impossible to play the game normally, whereas now you can simply relaunch the game to correct the issue if it ever pops up sporadically.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's still a big improvement over what we had before with SotC running on PS5, however. Before it was impossible to play the game normally, whereas now you can simply relaunch the game to correct the issue if it ever pops up sporadically.
Eh, you know what, restarting on the issue cropping up isnt so bad. Thanks for doing a deep dive looking into this :)

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Finally! I got rid of my PS4 and found out about this and thought: they are never gonna acknowledge or fix this. Im gonna have to buy a PS4 again.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022

FvNOptmWAAIusSi

FvNOqClXsAA6Z9I

FvNOqXOXwAEQmI7

FvNOqsDXwAIS8Je

That's unfortunate.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017

FvNOptmWAAIusSi

FvNOqClXsAA6Z9I

FvNOqXOXwAEQmI7

FvNOqsDXwAIS8Je

RIP. at least relaunching to fix isn't horrible?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
That makes it sound like the firmware just changed something that had an effect, and not that something was specifically done for the issue.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

FvNOptmWAAIusSi

FvNOqClXsAA6Z9I

FvNOqXOXwAEQmI7

FvNOqsDXwAIS8Je

PalatableFelineCreature-size_restricted.gif

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018

FvNOptmWAAIusSi

FvNOqClXsAA6Z9I

FvNOqXOXwAEQmI7

FvNOqsDXwAIS8Je
Extremely unfortunate :(. I would've liked to do a replay.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Regrettably, I must inform everyone in this thread that after further testing I've concluded that the problem has been improved but not fully addressed. After beating the fifth Colossus on a fresh playthrough, the texture streaming issue returned in full force.
giphy.webp

Bluepoint please save us 😭

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The LOD in Zero Dawn is really bad. Currently replaying through it.
Yeah, I can't unsee it now. I wanted to replay it but this area of effect around Aloy as she moves across the land, magically changing the very textures of the ground and rock as she goes, was too much for me, too distracting. I still have my PS4 I guess, could hook that up.....I'll just lurk on Era instead.

cozomel

Feb 17, 2018
We should all be bombarding Sony with this issue, everybody on this thread such be hitting Sony up instead of talking about it here (or both). we need to figure out the best place to send it to, like say Bluepoint and the department of Sony responsible for this.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: I've been playing a ton lately, and the issue seems to come back most often after resuming play after waking the PS5 from sleep mode. It happens pretty consistently for me when resuming from sleep, so I have to relaunch the game to reinstate the proper textures.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
So continuous play is fine but as soon as you put the system into rest mode the issue will come back if you boot the system from rest mode unless you restart?