• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this was cancelled either because Eidos got pulled in for full dev work on Avengers or because they were tasked with making a next-gen TR reboot?

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix has been on a roll lately with cancelling the most interesting sounding DLC for their games :(

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Am I remembering correctly that there was an original ending that was patched over that was a big more ambiguous as to if we'd seen the last of this version of Lara? I feel like I may be making that up in my head.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Am I remembering correctly that there was an original ending that was patched over that was a big more ambiguous as to if we'd seen the last of this version of Lara? I feel like I may be making that up in my head.

The day-1 patch edited the epilogue, which originally had a lead-up to another game seemingly (you can still view it if you have access to a 1.0 version of the game, or install off a disc with no patching), and I guess SE wasn't interested in fielding any questions about another game so they just removed it, making it seem like this is the end of Lara...for a while.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
the original ending was a loop-around to the beginning of the original Tomb Raider where Lara is recruited by Jacqueline Natla to search for the Scion. Someone mixed the idea, probably to allow for more games to fill in the gap.

This is such a great game, folks. The most bizarre review and sales situation for an incredibly polished and interesting experience. Just play it with all the assists off and it's basically the TR game I've been wanting my whole life...

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The day-1 patch edited the epilogue, which originally had a lead-up to another game seemingly (you can still view it if you have access to a 1.0 version of the game, or install off a disc with no patching), and I guess SE wasn't interested in fielding any questions about another game so they just removed it, making it seem like this is the end of Lara...for a while.

AH! okay! I'm glad I didn't like fever dream that.

I love this series and I want more Lara any way we can get it but hopefully she's not gone for too long.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I suspect we see Lara again next-gen with a new take on the formula. Fully expect they'll expand the open-world aspect, probably going for some sort of "Play how you want" style where you can easily avoid confrontation or plays guns blazing if you want.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow was a very good game. It's a shame that the press really cemented the narrative that this was a B team effort that was just more of the same.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
The Rise of Tomb Raider had epilouge map in the manor were you could just explore and hear about Laras past and had a few quests which I really enjoyed.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some more outfits like this would have been nice instead of 10 variations on tacticool military gear

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I suspect we see Lara again next-gen with a new take on the formula. Fully expect they'll expand the open-world aspect, probably going for some sort of "Play how you want" style where you can easily avoid confrontation or plays guns blazing if you want.
I don't expect any of this, I think it's time for something new

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta get in on that Ring Fit Adventure craze.

Ring Fit Raider, here we come.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
the original ending was a loop-around to the beginning of the original Tomb Raider where Lara is recruited by Jacqueline Natla to search for the Scion. Someone mixed the idea, probably to allow for more games to fill in the gap.

That's actually quite awesome, props to the team. A shame it had to be erased.

This is such a great game, folks. The most bizarre review and sales situation for an incredibly polished and interesting experience. Just play it with all the assists off and it's basically the TR game I've been wanting my whole life...

I am just going to cry in the corner at the grave of 3D puzzle room games.

Wow. That would be the final nail in the coffin for this series for me. :(

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Darn, looks like this would've given some closure on Sofia and the Remnants who stayed behind in the Geothermal Valley after Rise of the Tomb Raider, as well as Reyes and her daughter who only appeared in the comics. I definitely would've liked to play this.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That's actually quite awesome, props to the team. A shame it had to be erased.
I am just going to cry in the corner at the grave of 3D puzzle room games.
Wow. That would be the final nail in the coffin for this series for me. :(
If Tomb Raider leaves linear level design, it will be a sad day.

TR is in an odd spot where it needs to be a AAA title in Square's eyes. But a good chunk of the fanbase would be fine with something smaller and more akin to the original. The big issue will always be the current Square management and how they view the IP.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Such a shame it was cancelled. The last bit of DLC had Lara flashing a coy smile at the camera hinting at a final surprise.

This is such a great game, folks. The most bizarre review and sales situation for an incredibly polished and interesting experience.

Interesting experience, sure.
Polished? Nah, this was definitely one of the rougher AAA releases.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
TR is in an odd spot where it needs to be a AAA title in Square's eyes. But a good chunk of the fanbase would be fine with something smaller and more akin to the original. The big issue will always be the current Square management and how they view the IP.

Square Enix has always seemed to consider a TR game a "miss" if it doesn't hit Assassin Creed numbers despite the games still being successful. I wouldn't mind SE selling the TR IP to a more respectful owner.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I loved the whole recent trilogy, so I hope we get more of it. It's looking questionable though.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I hate this narrative that these are "bad games" in general because, like, .... they're not.

Rise is my favorite of the trilogy but I've replayed the hell out of the first one as well and plan on going back to Shadow again eventually. I just need to finish stuff I haven't played before.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If Tomb Raider leaves linear level design, it will be a sad day.
I can see an open world being possible while retaining the labyrinth-like level design the classic games were known for, there's a couple of ways they could pull it off.
Most likely would be Assassin's Creed style. This might be controversial, but if the "above ground" area is all open, you can have the actual tombs themselves being proper linear puzzles. AC2 and Brotherhood had kinda neat tombs to explore that reminded me of classic TR in some ways, if a little short and less precise. A negative point would be that location hopping would be much harder, so it would likely need to take place in the one area of the world.

Though tbh I'm not sure what they currently do, I've not touched the modern trilogy and was under the impression they were already semi-open, at least with a hub of some kind.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
So I guess this is what the mega patch is for today.

I played a bit of this to get the reward points on XBX (because I'm part of the problem) and I genuinely forgot how good this game is. Went in for a five minute session and ended up playing around 4 hours.

I guess people weren't too keen on it being "more of the same" when in this case it was a formula that worked pretty well and they kept improving as the games went on.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017

This wouldn't be a game for me then.
There are lots of open world games already and too few linear and with no filler TPS games nowadays.

luminous

Oct 27, 2017
The old school TR throwback with Lara narrating the game controls on that leaked audio :( it's a shame they cut this out, chilling around Croft Manor was genuinely one of my fave parts of TR games.

I like the newer trilogy but I wish they added back some of these more iconic elements from past games.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Shadow's DLC was fantastic, it definitely deserved an eighth installment. Shame that people hate the reboot trilogy so much, it deserved far more love.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely forgot that this game even existed.

Enjoyed the first two games in the reboot trilogy, will probably pick the definitive version up in the next few months.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the entire trilogy, but I felt Shadow was the best.

My only wish was to be surprised by a T-Rex somewhere within the game. That really needs to be hidden away in every TR game.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone give a summary of the story beats?

Sucks it was cancelled though, the Croft manor dlc in Rise was amazing. Wonder if it was a combination of poor sales, poor dlc sales, and tepid critical and fan response.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever the next tomb raider game is, i sincerely hope that they stick to the reboot trilogy time line, i like the world and this lara and id love to see what camilla could do once the writers really let loose and let her have more fun. They can massively overhaul the gameplay, but i hope the universe remains in tact. Id love for the next game to be a re telling of the first ps1 game. Id love to see those settings in their gorgeous engine

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Shadow's DLC was fantastic, it definitely deserved an eighth installment. Shame that people hate the reboot trilogy so much, it deserved far more love.

2013 and Rise are very much beloved, tbh. Super high metacritic user score, steam review score, etc. Shadow was more mixed but still positive.
I personally think square has done a lot of disservice to these games. Unrealistic expectations, the crappy exclusivity deal for Rise which made absolutely no sense for a 2nd game in a trilogy (plus it released on the same day as fallout 4), followed by Shadow releasing so close to Spider-Man, with totally botched marketing that focused almost entirely on the combat segments.

Whatever the next tomb raider game is, i sincerely hope that they stick to the reboot trilogy time line, i like the world and this lara and id love to see what camilla could do once the writers really let loose and let her have more fun. They can massively overhaul the gameplay, but i hope the universe remains in tact. Id love for the next game to be a re telling of the first ps1 game. Id love to see those settings in their gorgeous engine

I agree. I would be done to brand new gameplay but current Lara is fine, and Shadow's ending has gotten rid of the daddy issues baggage too. Camilla has done a great job in Shadow as well, she's improved a lot.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Ok I'm sold.