• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
"I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't see more [Tomb Raider]."

In a season dominated by Fortnite, Red Dead Redemption 2, and other high profile games, a few major releases were bound to fall between the cracks. Shadow of the Tomb Raider was one of those games.

Nevertheless, Eidos Montréal has continued to crank out DLC to support the fans who have stuck around. Its output includes challenge tombs, new story-driven segments intended to wrap up loose ends, and runs that resemble obstacle courses. The DLC that Eidos Montréal showed us at PAX East is The Grand Cayman, which dropped last week.

On hand for the demo is producer Jonathan Dahan. After running through the DLC, I ask how he feels about the way Shadow of the Tomb Raider was received. "We're super happy with how [Shadow of the Tomb Raider] turned out, both on the critics side and performance," he says. "That's why we continued producing DLC, because we're excited about how it went."
more: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-dlc-news

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So happy with the performance it was 50% off a month after launch and joined GP not too long afterwards. That's what success looks like apparently lol.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Still think it was off the mark to release it next to Spider-man and on the eve of the incoming heavy hitters of Fall 2018.

I had so much to play by the end of last year I barely even noticed Lara had a game coming out.

Oct 26, 2017
The game itself has a 80 on Opencritic which is fine, but all the DLC was hated by reviewers so ehhhhh, not sure it got great reviews.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
So what should they do next? Sequel or Reboot.
Personally I think they could do a bit of both like Santa Monica did with GOW or go back to their roots like Capcom did with RE7.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good because I thought it was a good game.

Thread didn't take long to take an unfortunate turn tho.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Although I enjoyed the reboot trilogy this brand needs another reboot to stay relevant. Its just too stale.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear it did well! People worked very hard on it.

I personally did not find it very interesting or fun, but not everything is for me!

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Tomb Raider had its chance. Time for Legacy of Kain to come back.

As a Witcher like.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It was really mismanaged with the release date and the marketing, but still ended up being a great game.
As for the DLC's - I started playing them and they're surprisingly good! But they're pretty bite sized (45min-1h per piece) so playing them one by one would've been bad, I think.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the game alot, it brought back the cool creepy atmosphere that the first reboot had. But we all know it bombed and the odds of a sequel are slim to none

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess time will tell. Let's see how quickly they announce another TR and what kind of budget it gets.

Or we can just take this person at their word and not call them a liar?

Using this logic BotW, GoW and many, many others are not successs either yet because their successors haven't been announced and we don't know what budget they have.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game, and loved that it went away from being an Uncharted clone where Lara's constantly getting thrown into set pieces where everything's falling and breaking apart (yea there's still 1-2 of them in there but that's ok).

Absolutely shit DLCs though, they were just tombs with nothing in them with simplistic puzzles even when compared to the base game, 10 mins long at most and meant for speedrunning instead. I don't know how they messed that one up.

Still I think it's time for a proper reboot again, with an older more experienced Lara. Like 30+ with real climber's body (wide shoulders, strong triceps and back rather than just increasing her waistline a bit but still giving her mostly spaghetti arms). And please none of the "Become the Tomb Raider" stuff as that sounded so silly.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Or we can just take this person at their word and not call them a liar?

Using this logic BotW, GoW and many, many others are not successs either yet because their successors haven't been announced and we don't know what budget they have.
Those 2 games were half price after a month as well?

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
another case of era switching opinion? remember in the OT that it was kinda hated on...

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they loved halving the price after a few weeks.

They bring up games they're happy with to investors SOTR is one of them, unless you're implying that they're lying to investors.

ROTR and JC3 were also quickly discounted, but they sold many millions of copies and SE continued to praise the performance of those games during record profit years.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I like the game and the DLC, but the completion rates on the DLC are super low for how little time/effort they take to finish.

If they do a new one I hope they lighten up a bit and let Lara have some fun. And add some good DLC costumes and not just eight "dress with different bones/flowers" costumes.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Still need to finish it. Liked what I played though and am happy that the team that made it seem to be doing well. Definitely better then Rise but didn't reach the same highs as 2013 for me anyway (loved TR2013)

What would I like next from the franchise?

Honestly another single location AAA Metroidlike (like 2013). A reboot on Lara so that she's fun again. There has been too much guilt/ptsd stuff post 2013

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
These days it's typical to see a game at half price in a month.

To look at actual bombs, BFV was half price after a week, Fallout 76 was $35 after 10 days, and Dirt 4 was $39.99 after TWO DAYS

edit I agree with the reply above.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Even though Shadow was a huuuuge disappointment for me after ROTTR, I really hope this series continues in this new direction.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well don't start going on about 'logic' if you're not going to address all the issues. The fire sale and speed it hit gamepass really doesn't point to a game that had good sales.

But this person in the OP contradicts that, unless you believe that they are lying. Which I believe to be both unhealthy and unfair, especially when you adopt a 'time will tell' attitude with basically no concrete evidence that this is a lie.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
He's right, it performed pretty well.

I mean, given how good it looks, I'm surprised I can maintain 60fps pretty easily.