• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to paint such a broad stroke across God of War PS4 to relate it to the PS2-PS3 gen titles by merely titling it as a "narrative driven adventure" then you should have no problem relating CD TR games with the Core Design TR games as third person shooter adventures with platforming in them.

Within a certain degree talking about specific mechanics is a bit of a red herring because it's more about the overall focus of a series that can make a new entry feeling fundamentally different. GOW4 has quite different mechanics but the overall weight of the combat/exploration/puzzle aspects is quite similar. The new one is a bit more biased towards exploration-especially if you do the collectable stuff-but the main plot at least is pretty similar to the earlier ones in the balance of each aspect.

The earlier Resident Evil games have plenty of combat (with a gradually escalating amount as it goes on), but they aren't *about* combat; avoiding or simply making it non-relevant is as important as actually fighting a lot of the time. Resident Evil 4 is fundamentally different because it shifts it so the combat is what the game is about, and every non-combat aspect tends to feed into the combat part in some way, as well as being comparatively marginalised in terms of what you spend most of the playtime doing.

While I'd argue the quality of execution is quite different, Tomb Raider is similar, as it's changed from a series with combat in it, to a series where the combat is what the game is about, and with the non-combat aspects relatively marginalised (especially if you don't do much optional stuff, vs earlier games where you have to engage with those parts even if you ignore optional content). They're both within the same monolithic genre, but old Tomb Raider is Action Adventure, while new Tomb Raider is Action Adventure

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Within a certain degree talking about specific mechanics is a bit of a red herring because it's more about the overall focus of a series that can make a new entry feeling fundamentally different. GOW4 has quite different mechanics but the overall weight of the combat/exploration/puzzle aspects is quite similar. The new one is a bit more biased towards exploration-especially if you do the collectable stuff-but the main plot at least is pretty similar to the earlier ones in the balance of each aspect.

The earlier Resident Evil games have plenty of combat (with a gradually escalating amount as it goes on), but they aren't *about* combat; avoiding or simply making it non-relevant is as important as actually fighting a lot of the time. Resident Evil 4 is fundamentally different because it shifts it so the combat is what the game is about, and every non-combat aspect tends to feed into the combat part in some way, as well as being comparatively marginalised in terms of what you spend most of the playtime doing.

While I'd argue the quality of execution is quite different, Tomb Raider is similar, as it's changed from a series with combat in it, to a series where the combat is what the game is about, and with the non-combat aspects relatively marginalised (especially if you don't do much optional stuff, vs earlier games where you have to engage with those parts even if you ignore optional content). They're both within the same monolithic genre, but old Tomb Raider is Action Adventure, while new Tomb Raider is Action Adventure

Sorry, but I disagree. The level of exploration in God of War PS4 is stratospheres beyond from the completely linear design of GOW PS2-PS3 to the point where it's a pillar of the design.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
And that's his point. Those perfectly describe Uncharted too. But that doesnt get a tenth of the negativity this gets...including folks happy to log in to proclaim to the world that they aren't interested in the game.

It's such a strange thing to see, since the reaction of many on this site is an outlier. Rise of the Tomb Raider has 88% rating on Metacritic and has a 4.6/5 user rating on Amazon.

From all indications, the games in this reboot have been reasonably well received in the real world. Yet here it's subjected to the most strenuous amount of nitpicking.

I'm not suggesting console warz or anything of the sort...I'm just wondering why it seems many have some antipathy towards this game.
Uncharted doesn't have a history to be a different game.... Sorry, but what is strange for me is that people don't understand that there are fans of the old games that want the newer ones akin to that. Simple as that. See DmC vs old Devil May Cry for example..... It's just this, not console warz bullshit.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Uncharted doesn't have a history to be a different game.... Sorry, but what is strange for me is that people don't understand that there are fans of the old games that want the newer ones akin to that. Simple as that. See DmC vs old Devil May Cry for example..... It's just this, not console warz bullshit.

No. That's not it.
Fans of the old style games would just go " i don't like this new direction, I won't buy it". It makes zero sense for anyone who is uninterested in a game to take it out by constantly talking about how the game 'looks generic', 'does nothing for me' or nitpicking over a single missed frame of animation from a 2 mins trailer.

There's a clear reason why this trilogy is being made in this style. It's successful, and people like it. Amazon user ratings are through the roof. Critically, it's about on par with gems like Horizon Zero Dawn (88% Metacritic). The games have sold pretty well so far.

Perhaps the vocal minority could leave this game some breathing room?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
No. That's not it.
Fans of the old style games would just go " i don't like this new direction, I won't buy it". It makes zero sense for anyone who is uninterested in a game to take it out by constantly talking about how the game 'looks generic', 'does nothing for me' or nitpicking over a single missed frame of animation from a 2 mins trailer.

There's a clear reason why this trilogy is being made in this style. It's successful, and people like it. Amazon user ratings are through the roof. Critically, it's about on par with gems like Horizon Zero Dawn (88% Metacritic). The games have sold pretty well so far.

Perhaps the vocal minority could leave this game some breathing room?
You're going in circles. This isn't the only forum where Shadow has criticism. Head to the large tomb raider forum and you'll see the same complaints and concerns you see here.

And if you know it's a vocal minority then focus on the positives. That is one problem Era definitely has, it propagates the negativity by constantly focusing on harder critique.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the most conflicted ive been about buying a tomb raider game. On one hand, i absolutely love the fuck out of the world theyve crafted.Love it love it love it. On the other, i dont think im physically capable of despising the characters and gameplay more.

Vaibhav

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
I was always fascinated by concept of old tomb raider games. Just that controls and obscure-ness kept me away.

Am glad we are getting a modern game with some of the elements of the old games that I liked.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
The more focus on platoforming, sound and music, setting and atmosphere and overall darker plot and switch-up of your usual hero-villain storyline is making me hype by the second. My most anticipated release this year, followed by Smash Bros. They will be amazing games to hold me over 'till RE2 remake releases next year.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I'm just not feeling it tbh. It's very pretty but there's just something off about the animations and the way she "connects" with the environment, it's like she's always floating into place when she grabs a ledge or jumps on a platform. It's like there's no weight or physicality to her. It might feel very different when actually playing it, though.

In the most recent game, when Lara jumps you can still change her direction while she's in mid air, lol. You're right, her animations are very twitchy. You stop noticing it though, when you're running or climbing away from crumbling cliffs or platforms for the hundredth time.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Reboot (2013). That game was really good. Yesterday I forced myself to finish Rise...after 3 years....and it's still terrible. Bad story, bad characters, bad writing, terrible pacing, too much combat, a boring world full of terrible things and collectibles.
I can't believe what they've done to this franchise after Tomb Raider 2013. If Shadows is like Rise I'm not going to touch this game ever. If this is more like Tomb Raider Reboot...I'll definitely play it this month...but I doubt it.

Oct 28, 2017
Worst case scenario: The God of War Ascension of Tomb Raider.

Best case scenario: The Arkham Origins of Tomb Raider. This is the one I'm expecting. The game from a new developer that outdoes both previous games.

I fear the next Crystal Dynamics game will be the Arkham Knight of Tomb Raider.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still no one sees that this looks worse than Rise ? Am I going insane to think that this looks worse than rise ? Last time I mentioned, everyone attacked me but I swear this looks worse than rise and I don't understand why since it's the same engine .

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
This is still on the 'Get it in the Xmas sales/deals period' - I've enjoyed both of the rebooted games so far (although Rise really suffered from me going into it straight after UC4 when it came to story, cutscenes acting & so on) and I'm looking forward to picking this up but I'm not 'Day Zero hyyyyyypppppe baby!!!!' for it.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Still no one sees that this looks worse than Rise ? Am I going insane to think that this looks worse than rise ? Last time I mentioned, everyone attacked me but I swear this looks worse than rise and I don't understand why since it's the same engine .
*raises hand*
I am having the hardest game getting hyped for this, it just looks so pedestrian.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Probably up to personal opinion but the lighting in this game has a very last gen feel IMO.Its like light isnt bouncing off of surfaces and the places without direct sunlight look extremely dark. Its also not volumentric looking but i guess....that could be an aesthetic choice. Air in peru during mid days isnt especially misty

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I love the Reboot (2013). That game was really good. Yesterday I forced myself to finish Rise...after 3 years....and it's still terrible. Bad story, bad characters, bad writing, terrible pacing, too much combat, a boring world full of terrible things and collectibles.
I can't believe what they've done to this franchise after Tomb Raider 2013. If Shadows is like Rise I'm not going to touch this game ever. If this is more like Tomb Raider Reboot...I'll definitely play it this month...but I doubt it.

Totally agree, man. Couldn't give a damn about the story or characters. It feels like the RE5 to TR2013's RE4. Totally devoid of personality or creativity, it just copy pasted levels from the first one (except with pretty sparkly snow!).

The original one had - brilliant Lara redesign, tressFX, a scary mysterious island, times when you climbed up really high and saw nice scenery, and that one really cool wide open forest in the dark that was really fun to stealth around.

That they messed with Lara's face and downgraded it from the definitive edition (imo) didn't help.
(I know, the animations improved in cutscenes, but still..... If they like it why does she look like 2013 Lara in Shadow's CG trailer?)

I imagine Sony took a sneak peek at ROTR while in development, saw how it was miles away from Uncharted 4 and said 'lol no thanks, we're not paying for exclusivity'

Back to this new one, I like that they gave Lara her traditional colors and ripped arms. Other than that....

Last edited:

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I really liked the reboot, wasn't the biggest fan of Rise (I seriously had to drag myself through it), but I'll probably still pick this up because I really like the idea of psychotic Lara and I'm thinking new developers could mean better things for the game. I just don't want the game to feel simplified like RoTR. I don't even remember anything about that game anymore. It was just.. there.

Aug 26, 2018
Where is the marketing for Shadow of the TR, seriously? In late 90s, early 2000s, a AAA TR game was up with the biggest games on the market. Now, it just gets lost due to their own mistakes.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Just read the (German) Gamepro review. They really love it and say it's the best part of trilogy. Without the bugs, that shall be fixed in the Day 1 patch, they would give it 91%.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that Shadow has not looked super stellar in many of the released videos but everyone that's actually had time on it says it's beautiful. I wouldn't worry about it looking bad if that's your biggest issue.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Where is the marketing for Shadow of the TR, seriously? In late 90s, early 2000s, a AAA TR game was up with the biggest games on the market. Now, it just gets lost due to their own mistakes.

SoTR has had plenty of marketing. There have been almost 20 trailers, tons of screenshots, several press events, etc. Marketing in the 90's/early 2000's was significantly less than it is now. It primarily consisted of magazine ads and the occasional TV spot. SoTR has probably had more marketing than all of the Core TR games combined.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just read the (German) Gamepro review. They really love it and say it's the best part of trilogy. Without the bugs, that shall be fixed in the Day 1 patch, they would give it 91%.

I think that most people at this forum are just seeing 'Tomb Raider'. What I'm seeing is 'Eidos Montreal', a studio that's, unfortunately, under-rated amongst gamers.

Jibbed

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played one of these newer TR's nor watched that much footage, so I gave this a look...

When did Lara Croft turn into the Predator? I get that these dudes are out to kill her but she's straight-up stabbing people in the neck with a huge knife - and the game rewards you for it.

Idk, just seems overly violent. I'd have thought it would be more about non-lethal takedowns and stealth.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played one of these newer TR's nor watched that much footage, so I gave this a look...

When did Lara Croft turn into the Predator? I get that these dudes are out to kill her but she's straight-up stabbing people in the neck with a huge knife - and the game rewards you for it.

Idk, just seems overly violent. I'd have thought it would be more about non-lethal takedowns and stealth.

Tomb Raider has been brutally violent since the reboot. While I somewhat understand the argument, at this point it's a core pillar of the series.

Nov 12, 2017
If I recall , square were not pleased at last game sales .
I dont think so.....it sold lots of copies ...keep in mind that expectations of a title like tomb raider are not 3 or 4 millions copies ...like most exclusive games
1 year ago sales wise was comparable pretty much at horizon zero dawn maybe.......a game that is considered a great success .....and yeah I know that is an exclusive but aaa cost I think are comparable for both productions no?

Last edited:

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully this is the last one of these TOMB RAIDER games we have to endure before they start over and go back to being an Indiana Jones simulator.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
They were, otherwise there wouldn't be Shadow.
https://www.destructoid.com/the-las...ve-combined-for-18-million-sales-475179.phtml
TR13's sales were initially considered a "failure" by Square, only because of the ludicrous expectations due to the company's poor performance prior to TR13's release.

It doesn't really work like that. Franchises can and do have poor numbered sellers , and if square were disappointed , then they were . Ludicrous expectations or not, I guess overall budget wasn't great compared to day one sales .

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I think this will be the last tomb raider in this style. My gut tells me this isnt going to sell as well as they hope. And then the franchise will go through another reboot for next gen.

This is all my opinion.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really work like that. Franchises can and do have poor numbered sellers , and if square were disappointed , then they were . Ludicrous expectations or not, I guess overall budget wasn't great compared to day one sales .

I don't know how they could've had "expectations" in the traditional sense when the releases of the game were so staggered. Thanks to that, and the upgrade patches for the Pro and X likely giving it a boost months later, it's had a pretty unusual shelf-life compared to many titles.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I don't know how they could've had "expectations" in the traditional sense when the releases of the game were so staggered. Thanks to that, and the upgrade patches for the Pro and X likely giving it a boost months later, it's had a pretty unusual shelf-life compared to many titles.

Well, they include the exclusive payment from the platform etc and take that into account. But I'm sure the 'timed ' exclusive really ate into that fee.

They weren't really enthused about another platform exclusive . That tells you enough