• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I do like that aspect of this. I wonder if the game play will actually go so far in that direction. I could imagine a Tomb Raider game with elements of Batman: Arkham Asylum's stealth (maybe minus the bad enemy A.I., ideally) being pretty interesting, and this trailer was giving me those sorts of vibes. That said, these newer Tomb Raiders are more so just something that I play to get the full experience, despite the fact that I haven't really even enjoyed the previous two games all that much. I thought Rise of the Tomb Raider started off really well, but I wish the rest of the game had pushed the survival aspect of the game play more as it seemed to at the beginning.
There's already shades of that in the last game. You could climb trees and air assassinate.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so done with Laura being a war machine.
qEpxTAt.png

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I didn't really love either of the previous games but I prefer they go in this Temple of Doom direction over something like Uncharted where it's so quippy it gets annoying. If they go full on edgelord it might be entertaining, but I doubt they're ballsy enough to make it into Rambo 4: Videogame Edition.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, the movie was much better in that regard. Lara pretty much has a breakdown after killing one person.

Surprised they haven't leaned more heavily on that, especially as Lara's face looks more like Alicia Vikander's now.
She could barely kill the deer in the first game, we are at game 3 now, shes over killing people, but it looks like she is realising she may not be better than who shes killing and that she is the same as them or something.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
People who want exploration and puzzle focused tomb raiding should check out The Last Guardian. It's the closest thing to old school TR.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even gonna bother replying individually :

Smartphones decided that Lara's name was Laura. Deal with it. I'm done fighting the phone to fix it. Submit.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Right but that wasn't a whole city of a seemingly untouched ancient civilization full of a massive crowd of cheering masses. Like how is this supposed to be a thing that exists? The only explanation that makes any sense is that she's somehow a time traveler or something which is dumb as hell.

well, the last game featured a lost tribe that'd traveled from syria to siberia, lived in total isolation for centuries, & somehow all spoke english. so, hey, i'd say, when it comes to 'new' tomb raider, pretty much anything goes :) ...

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
This isn't a leak. It's obvious a viral stunt with the actual trailer coming out today.

Anyway just like the last game and uncharted 4 I just can't play through another shooter feast. If this one doesn't focus more on plstforming and puzzles than shooting I'm out.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like murdering people with pick-axes is one of the key marketing points for the game... wtf.

The pick axe has been a weapon since the first game. It's also always been part of marketing as well as the core gameplay as a tool for exploration & combat:
337943.jpg

599037.jpg

lara_croft_shadow_of_the_tomb_raider-wide.jpg

Not sure Nibel or that other picture counts as the marketing btw.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I think in the comics Trinity might be actively hunting Lara so maybe she's Sarah Connor levels of paranoid and aggressive now.

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Is it? Really? You don't even play as Atreus lol.
I mean sure you can command him to shoot some arrows but it's Kratos who's behind most the killing.

Atreus does more than enough killing over the course of God of War. Sure he's killing spirits and monsters mostly, but they clearly show at the beginning that he's affected by killing an animal. Once gameplay starts he does not care at all about hurting things. Admittedly GoW is much better at contextualizing it than TR, but I was mostly just agreeing that the hate towards TR is overblown.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Ppl crying about Lara killing and using her axe and expecting classic Lara to be back... lmao.
I mean if you didn't like or play first two games of the Trilogy there's nothing for you to see here.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
So stupid.

"The End of the Beginning" "I sacrificed so much" "What will i become?"

I dont know in the trailer we get reminded that you already a mass murderer.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Why do they keep changing her face? Even if she is supposed to be older she looks completely different (hair colour aside).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That was a nice CGI trailer.
Nice to see her character finally being more than complaining, after 3 games, going closer to classic Lara.

Despite too many enemies being in the recent games, I don't really get the complaints about her being a murderer as if she never killed before though...
She kills as much as in some Uncharted games, it's just gruesome deaths instead of comic book like ones. I don't mind it, the darker tone fits.

arcticice

Oct 31, 2017
Ppl crying about Lara killing and using her axe and expecting classic Lara to be back... lmao.
I mean if you didn't like or play first two games of the Trilogy there's nothing for you to see here.

but they want to shit on the series as much as they can. that's how it usually goes with long-running franchises.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Why do they keep changing her face? Even if she is supposed to be older she looks completely different (hair colour aside).

Because tech and different artists maybe? Nathan Drake looks like a completely different person in each game. Kratos's tattoo changes throughout the games. No big deal.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer didn't really do much for me. Really enjoyed Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider was good but I preferred the first one. Not overly hyped for this game at the moment but we'll see.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm not saying it's not the case, but how did you get to that conclusion from these tweets?

Not sure Nibel or that other picture counts as the marketing btw.
One of the tweets is a clip from their newest marketing video showing Lara preparing to murder someone with a pickaxe, and the other is of press members at a marketing event posing with prop pickaxes. So... I would say it is part of the marketing for the game..

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I'm not saying the game will do it well or that it won't mainly be about killing a lot of people, but I see a lot of people here jumping to conclusions from the trailer and are really conveniently ignoring that its about Lara realizing she has too much blood on her hands. They literally show it in picture, could they have been any clearer?