• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Not killing enemies, killing humans.

And as any medium, it needs to evolve, this is not about removing enemies in games, but asking devs to go above these gameplay conventions that have been present for many years already.

That said original TR already had a limited number of enemies and much bigger focus on exploration.
Tbh I think killing endangered species or otherwise wild animals as in the original games could potentially be met with more widespread criticism than the humans in this day and age. At least you can argue those humans are a) out to kill her and b) make a conscious choice to be there, vs the animals being in their natural habitat and behaving naturally, instinctively, towards what they perceive as a challenger, threat or prey. Then again I don't think the first reboot got criticism for the wolves, bears and other animals (well, you can argue the rabbits and deer actually provided food which is a primary need) to a meaningful degree so there's that.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love Psycho Lara not even Kratos could stomach such brutality

Lara has been a mass murderer since Tomb Raider 2

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The great white saviour sticking her nose where it doesn't belong, unless of course it's some end of the world type shit. Trailer looks cool but I don't like the tone

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Love Lara so much. Will buy it Dayone eyes closed.

Previous two were God tier. Bought multiple times just to support CD lol

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I think a lot of the negativity for the series around here is due to the transformation of the game from a primarily exploration/puzzle oriented series to a narrative focused head shot extravaganza. It probably doesn't help that both the story and characters were really forgettable even though the action is really well done. Essentially, the push to see new levels have changed to seeing new ways to kill someone.

Personally I prefer exploration, so for me Chloe has taken that mantle off Lara. I do understand why this incarnation has its own cadre of fans though.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lara Voorhees.

Heh i'd rather Tomb Raider got back to focus on exploration and puzzling instead of this grimdark Rambo nonsense. They sure turned Lara from a witty carefree adventurer into a dour murderer.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, since when did gamers feel so strongly against killing enemies in video games? This shit started as a literal joke in reference to Uncharted years ago, but some people actually took it seriously and now we're here.

The reason why Nathan Drake and Lara Croft are highlighted is because the context for their killing is weaker than a soldier fighting in a war, for instance. Not talking about how the killing impacts them feels antithetical to the realistic characters they want to present.

I actually think Tomb Raider does it well though. I recall the CG trailer for the last game directly addressing the toll it should have on a person.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The best tomb raider game of the last couple years remains tomb raider go. Really enjoyed that. Unlike these overly violent reboots stripped of any sense of adventure.

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
But it is wrong that games are designed around killing hundreds of human beings, without purpose other than "is being like this for years".

Devs can do better and should do better.
Sure. And there are plenty of devs that do just that. It seems unreasonable, though, to expect it from AAA games. They have to appeal to a mass audience and not having anything to kill will greatly reduce the appeal to a mass audience.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The great white saviour sticking her nose where it doesn't belong, unless of course it's some end of the world type shit. Trailer looks cool but I don't like the tone

What is this post? She is attacking Evil Trinity soldiers which are not natives. She is protecting Natives from Trinity forces. She did same in ROTR.

Also Where were you when Drake went to Nepal in Uncharted 2 and Chloe went India and killed 100s there.

Chloe was fighting Indian native soldiers in Lost Legacy and here Lara fighting Western private military group Trinity. So there is a difference lol.

Nov 18, 2017
Why is the emphasis on combat and violence? I don't get why the developer and publisher think this is the element that sells the series.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I get the complaints about the apparent tone of this. I only played the first new TR so far, but the gameplay and direction this series took feels off the mark for the series.

Killing hoards of enemies probably isn't the best way to update and evolve the series, at least the primary focus shouldn't be on that.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Not really feeling it, though I haven't yet played Rise (I own it, just haven't gotten around to it).

However, the last scene piques my interest. I hope they make some interesting twist to the game/story.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
I think a lot of the negativity for the series around here is due to the transformation of the game from a primarily exploration/puzzle oriented series to a narrative focused head shot extravaganza. It probably doesn't help that both the story and characters were really forgettable even though the action is really well done. Essentially, the push to see new levels have changed to seeing new ways to kill someone.

Personally I prefer exploration, so for me Chloe has taken that mantle off Lara. I do understand why this incarnation has its own cadre of fans though.

Nice balanced post. Im an old school Lara fan and miss all the things many people are craving from them...that sense of isolation and exploration mixed with brief moments of gunplay.....that said I like reboot and rise as solid games and will play this to finish the story arc..

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
The reason why Nathan Drake and Lara Croft are highlighted is because the context for their killing is weaker than a soldier fighting in a war, for instance. Not talking about how the killing impacts them feels antithetical to the realistic characters they want to present.

I actually think Tomb Raider does it well though. I recall the CG trailer for the last game directly addressing the toll it should have on a person.
Imo its the opposite. The fact that they focus on her killing makes it even dumber and worse.

When its about "i can do this!" and "omg i killed somebody" while she already annihilated entire armies its stupid and makes her look even more like psychopath than not addressing it at all.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Only cg

Need to see game play to get a real feel for it

Do I have to wait a year again to play this on ps4?

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018

I was bored and tired of old games. So I like new approach. Mix of action and puzzles.

People want Gears, Uncharted and Halo to get evolve but TR should remain same as classic TR games. Wtf.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That looks uninspired, I hope they focus more on exploration and puzzle ala GoW. It's kinda weird the latest GoW has better exploration, puzzle, combat and pacing compared to Uncharted and TR.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Imo its the opposite. The fact that they focus on her killing makes it even dumber and worse.

When its about "i can do this!" and "omg i killed somebody" while she already annihilated entire armies its stupid and makes her look even more like psychopath than not addressing it at all.

Pretty much, don't try to justify it, it rarely works out. Just use the same old excuse, "it's just a video game."

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I liked the bit where it showed Lara Croft holding her kinfe out, while sitting in a tree with a solar eclipse in the background.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
That looks uninspired, I hope they focus more on exploration and puzzle ala GoW. It's kinda weird the latest GoW has better exploration, puzzle, combat and pacing compared to Uncharted and TR.

GoW barely has any puzzles. Less than the previous games if anything. Both reboot TR games had several optional tombs and story related puzzles to do.