• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
RoTTR is my favourite SP game this gen. Cannot wait for this. Do not like her new face though. I liked how they presented her in RoTTR, wish they'd stop changing it.

arcticice

Oct 31, 2017
One of the tweets is a clip from their newest marketing video showing Lara preparing to murder someone with a pickaxe, and the other is of press members at a marketing event posing with prop pickaxes. So... I would say it is part of the marketing for the game..

Good. it's a great weapon for killing in the game, all melee encounters are dealt with the pickaxe - might as well make it a part of marketing.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
It's still whiny Lara with lots of grunts shooting big weapons. I'm bored already. Fuck this TR trilogy to hell and back. Crystal Dynamics has no idea what Tomb Raider actually is about. Selling millions yet still turning a franchise slowly into obscurity.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a CGI trailer. It shows new gameplay mechanics tho.
I just don't see the point in CGI trailers. It only leaves you feeling underwhelmed when you see the actual gameplay.

That said, RotTR is easily one of the best looking games of the generation, especially on X. So quite why they need to use CGI is beyond me - I'm sure the game will look stunning regardless.

Oct 27, 2017
A good concept trailer really want to see a bit more character work here, I found every side character flat in the last two entries and didn't like anyone except Lara (and even that was questionable). I like the vibe they're going for with this entry it really feels like it could be the end of the 'survivor' arc as I call it. Will be a little disappointed if we don't see gameplay at some point today, the game is less than half a year out. Although, I suppose it is just over a month until E3 so will probably get a big blowout there.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't like the first two, doubt I'll like this one.

It's funny, when Uncharted first launched it was called "Dude Raider", now with the new Tomb Raider series it feels like they're trying to do what Uncharted does... Just with no fun, interesting, or memorable characters, average at best gameplay, and dozens of tacked on RPG systems and skill trees that just bog down the experience rather than add to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hated the writing in RoTR so much. I really wonder why SE hasn't bought the Rambo license and replaced the TR franchise.

With this 2nd redesign, at least they admit that Lara's character design was completely off in RoTR. Girl looked like straight out of an Ice-Princess Disney movie while murdering people more brutally than Psycho-Nate.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that confirms at least it'll be an X showcase.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Am one of these weird people that loved the originals back in the day, and love the rebooted 2013 onwards series.

Different Eras, different games, different direction... so what they're still good fun games.

Would people be happy if they swapped out all the enemies for gorillas and T Rexs, had moon like gravity, and Lara slide on even 45 degree angled slope... running around empty voids?

Sure they can expand on the Tomb Raiding a bit more, but the hyperbole in here is insane.

Bring it on... looks great....

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice, looking forward to the gameplay trailer. The people complaining about violence 'cause it's not "raiding tombs". I don't think people remember games like Tomb Raider 3, Chronicles, Angel Of Darkness, Legend, Underworld, the Lara Croft spin-offs or even Rise Of The Tomb Raider. This series is violent, always been, some episodes more than others, and given the context the storyline took in the previous chapters, this one being darker makes a lot of sense.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Well, uhm.
At least they are not presentig her as a the nice and funny girl only to make her a mass murderer ingame.
Before going back to being the good girl in cutscenes. No ludonarrative dissonance there !

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Am one of these weird people that loved the originals back in the day, and love the rebooted 2013 onwards series.

Different Eras, different games, different direction... so what they're still good fun games.

Would people be happy if they swapped out all the enemies for gorillas and T Rexs, had moon like gravity, and Lara slide on even 45 degree angled slope... running around empty voids?

Sure they can expand on the Tomb Raiding a bit more, but the hyperbole in here is insane.

Nothing weird about that. I am the same and many other TR fans.

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
One of the tweets is a clip from their newest marketing video showing Lara preparing to murder someone with a pickaxe, and the other is of press members at a marketing event posing with prop pickaxes. So... I would say it is part of the marketing for the game..
"part of the marketing for the game" is not the same as "one of the key marketing points of the game". The pickaxe is as much a weapon as it is a tool in the games. A " clip from their newest marketing video" is hardly "one of the key marketing points of the game", I mean at that point I could just say it's a game about eclipses if I wanted to argue in bad faith.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well, uhm.
At least they are not presentig her as a the nice and funny girl only to make her a mass murderer ingame.
Before going back to being the good girl in cutscenes. No ludonarrative dissonance there !
Rise of The Tomb Raider isn't an example of ludonarrative dissonance:

0RO9wlH.gif

i34yCw4.gif

Last edited:

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Because tech and different artists maybe? Nathan Drake looks like a completely different person in each game. Kratos's tattoo changes throughout the games. No big deal.
No Drake doesn't look completely different, just older. And it's very different to have different tattoos and completely different faces.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Killing machine Lara is basically the least interesting thing they could have focused on here. Super boring filler trailer.

Oct 27, 2017

I have really quite enjoyed the new Tomb Raider games as well despite their problems, I don't mind her having killed a lot of people either as it looks like it is going to be strongly incorporated into the story in this one. That CGI trailer very much was about showing what a ruthless killer Lara has become, to survive or not. The morality dilemma over killing isn't a new concept but it will give good exposition to Lara's character and possibly transform her way of doing things in later entries.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, pretty bad trailer, and this new voice isn't Lara at all, she still sounds like a cry baby. I'm not feeling the whole become the Tomb Raider, like is she going to have a rite of passage or something?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
"part of the marketing for the game" is not the same as "one of the key marketing points of the game". The pickaxe is as much a weapon as it is a tool in the games. A " clip from their newest marketing video" is hardly "one of the key marketing points of the game", I mean at that point I could just say it's a game about eclipses if I wanted to argue in bad faith.
Nice breakdown.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No Drake doesn't look completely different, just older. And it's very different to have different tattoos and completely different faces.
This is a few steps over "oh they're just aging." Uncharted 4 had much more realistic art direction than the PS3 games, and the faces changed as a result.
61f4da6889a707d9c3a6041e55b99932.png

uncharted-the-lost-legacy-character-model-comparison.jpg

Similar thing happened with Tomb Raider:
lara.jpg

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't really like that trailer...The Mayan set up seems uninspired, the content didn't hint at anything interesting narratively speaking. I didn't have any specific expectations, but this trailer has definitely lowered my interest.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get more enemy variety than ( Elite Organization soldiers => Native Cult people => Giant/Armored dude Boss fight => Cult leader boss fight ) that we got in the last two games

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Can I just do some back flips and shoot two guns with puzzles? And not play SAW guest staring Lara Croft

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
New info from Spanish magazine preview:

-Lara is obsessed with the Trinity. She wants revenge. Jonah will lead Lara on the right path. He advises you to save people. Lara only wants to destroy Trinity.

-The puzzles will not be more complex, but more epic, terrifying and deadly.

-After Shadow, there will be more games. But the classic Lara will not return. They will be independent adventures with the same Lara that now.

-The catastrophe that happens in the city is a Tsunami.

-The game will have the best action scenes of the whole trilogy.

-The weapons will be focused on stealth.

-The villain of the game will be Doctor Dominguez.

-The game begins in Cozumel (Mexico) where Trinidad and Lara look for an ancestral key.

-The hunting and the equipment will be more important. They see a Leopard.

-In this occasion, the main tombs will be very important and are more classic.

-In the tombs the sensation is of constant danger. Death will always be on the lookout for puzzles and traps.

-We have freedom when diving. Oxygen must be taken into account.

-The rope allows you to go up and down walls, run through them, and perform longer jumps.

-No vehicles.

-There will be secondary missions.

-The violence returns.

-The duration will be 13-15H without the side missions.

-The tombs are much more hidden and are very dangerous.

-The game is developed by Eidos Montreal, with the collaboration of Crystal. Eidos is the main developer.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't like her new appearance. should've kept it like in Rise but just make her a bit older. oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing how the game play looks. Not going to really think much on a CGI trailer as representation of any major face change. I'm really curious about the scenario in this game, I am a sucker for the mayan side of things.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i enjoyed the reboot of the franchise, but the characters, story and voice acting were beyond terrible. the gameplay however was fun. rise somehow manages to surpass itself in regards to terrible writing, voice acting and characters, but it still played relatively well despite feeling like a retreat of old ground.

on the one hand, i'm not holding my breath that the third is going to be any better than the second. but on the other hand, it's a new team developing it so there is at least a small glimmer of hope it could be good. just please have better writers, better story, better characters and better voice acting. give me a reason to care about the multiple hours of cut-scenes you've painstakingly animated. more trinity story stuff isn't going to cut it. they're a boring, faceless mercenary organisation.

and please, for the love of god, not another mystical undead army that shows up 2 thirds into the game. the fact the undead army in rise of the tomb raider was so damn similar to the undead army in the reboot made it feel all too familiar.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Rise of The Tomb Raider isn't an example of ludonarrative dissonance:

wasn't talking about rotr or tomb raider in general though.

It's a joke, but i mean, killing being the main gist of most games and games getting more and more realistic, or at least plausible (visually and in terms of characters interactions) it's inevitable that the tone would get darker and darker to fit the gameplay.
These days you can't get away with 80's style action comedy where the hero makes funny jokes while gunning dozens bad guys, there's a different..uh...sensitivity. But people still like killing bad guys very much apparently.

Wish we could go back to mostly exploring tombs and solving puzzles, but those are things AAA games can't afford.

EDIT:

Oh but there's still hope this trailer is intentionally misleading and is just the prologue of the game in which Lara realises she killed some 40 (bad) guys to save one (good) kid and starts questioning her actions !
Well, at least the trailer did aknowledge that, so maybe she might want to de-escalate ?

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
-The hunting and the equipment will be more important. They see a Leopard.

-In the tombs the sensation is of constant danger. Death will always be on the lookout for puzzles and traps.
If this means something closer to Rise's Endurance mode I'm all for it. It's sounding good overall if you liked the last games.