• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol those leaked screenshots.

Graphics look amazing, the lighting and water effects especially but MY GOD they're still giving Lara brown/grey military gear, does reboot Lara not like vibrant and feminine clothing?

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I am looking forward to playing this game but all the editions coming out are ridiculous and the epitome of AAA game release masturbation

Which one do I buy?! I can understand the logic behind having two editions - the standard and a deluxe one with a season pass built in and maybe some extra crap. But Standard, Deluxe, Collectors, CROFT?! What's the difference between the CROFT EDITION and the Collector's?!

Buying big releases has become a research project

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
The cover art looks great, not something I usually expect. Reminds me almost of Mortal Kombat.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
This photo really dampens my excitement, looks straight out of RoTTR, I was hoping for something innovative but it's more waist high covers I guess. I just hope they expand on the tomb raiding they introduced in the last game, they were by far the best part of the game.
82xkkgtsbuj8.jpg

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol those leaked screenshots.

Graphics look amazing, the lighting and water effects especially but MY GOD they're still giving Lara brown/grey military gear, does reboot Lara not like vibrant and feminine clothing?

Really? You expect her to go exploring in a lovely neon yellow jumper suit with cream Prada knee high boots or something?

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This being the third game in the re-boot... the third chapter, really - should mean that if you liked the first two games then you'll probably like the third, and that if you didn't then you probably won't.

The wildcard here is Eidos Montreal. I don't know how Mankind Divided ended up being so flat - but it didn't match Human Revolution in quality.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? You expect her to go exploring in a lovely neon yellow jumper suit with cream Prada knee high boots or something?

Lol you expect her to wear stuff with bright colors when she attempts to survive out there in the wilderness?
Realism, in a Tomb Raider game, really? There's plenty of stealth games out there with the protagonist not wearing all black, besides, TR was never a stealth series the reboots shoved it in to appeal to a wider audience.

I mean, Alloy from HZD, she's a terrible character but she has aesthetic variation especially for a "stealth" game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This being the third game in the re-boot... the third chapter, really - should mean that if you liked the first two games then you'll probably like the third, and that if you didn't then you probably won't.

The wildcard here is Eidos Montreal. I don't know how Mankind Divided ended up being so flat - but it didn't match Human Revolution in quality.

well CD's name is on the box so it will probably not be THAT much different.

Realism, in a Tomb Raider game, really? There's plenty of stealth games out there with the protagonist not wearing all black, besides, TR was never a stealth series the reboots shoved it in to appeal to a wider audience.

I mean, Alloy from HZD, she's a terrible character but she has aesthetic variation especially for a "stealth" game.

but realism isn't an on/off switch, the new TR games have clearly been going for a more grounded/belivable version of Lara.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but realism isn't an on/off switch, the new TR games have clearly been going for a more grounded/belivable version of Lara.
Believable character isn't an excuse for characters to wear brown/grey copy and paste military clothes. Some of the best written and therefore believable characters in games, for me, actually wear more casual clothing or at least vibrant and not military themed.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I am looking forward to playing this game but all the editions coming out are ridiculous and the epitome of AAA game release masturbation

Which one do I buy?! I can understand the logic behind having two editions - the standard and a deluxe one with a season pass built in and maybe some extra crap. But Standard, Deluxe, Collectors, CROFT?! What's the difference between the CROFT EDITION and the Collector's?!

Buying big releases has become a research project

Game + SP. That should give you everything.

arcticice

Oct 31, 2017
Holy shit that cover. It's the best one i've seen in a long time. Also, great screenshots. Looking forward to seeing more of the game later today.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Believable character isn't an excuse for characters to wear brown/grey copy and paste military clothes. Some of the best written and therefore believable characters in games, for me, actually wear more casual clothing or at least vibrant and not military themed.

But it's not like she can only wear military outfits.

http://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TR10walk/outfits.html these are the Rise ones - I'm sure there will be just as many options in the new one.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Well they really nailed the generic-hot-chick-look this time around didn't they?. Looks better than RotTR's model from what I can tell, but I don't know why they keep changing it so much, they had it right with the first reboot.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anything I didn't see in first two, Just more of the same what a let down
Well it's a sequel to a succesful and established reboot series, I think "more of the same" is exactly what everyone should be expecting. For me that means a hard pass, I do not want to torture myself any further.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
loved the first two games. just hope they dont have you collecting so many weapons of the same type, instead having you upgrade either just one like the first one, or just a few variants

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't see anything I didn't see in first two, Just more of the same what a let down
Surprised? This is not a reboot, this is a sequel to those two games. Of course there will be new abilities and gameplay mechanics, but wanting something totally different is just absurd.

The game is looking good so far. Interested in the setting alone.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This photo really dampens my excitement, looks straight out of RoTTR, I was hoping for something innovative but it's more waist high covers I guess. I just hope they expand on the tomb raiding they introduced in the last game, they were by far the best part of the game.
82xkkgtsbuj8.jpg

I hope it has more vertical combat like UC4. Flat grounds with waist-high covers doesn't fit Tomb Raider.

Dual pistols when?
I'd be hyped for this if Rise was not so mediocre.

After this one. This is the end of the origins trilogy.

I agree. Rise was so mediocre and forgettable.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Someone posted bits from the magazine article in another board, possible use of mud to hide and underwater combat.
The use of mud sounds interesting, not sure if it means Predator film style camo or just laying in mud to stay hidden.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
"the crucial moment when she will become Tomb Raider"

Is this a translation or something?

What crucial moment? It's not like she wasn't technically raiding tombs n shit in the last two games.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
New info:

-The game starts in Conzumel and it's el dia de los muertos
-Lara can use mud to hide
-The enemies have a mistrust gauge during infiltration sequences
-The tombs are more vertical
-She can run on walls with a rope
-Lara can talk with the npcs in the village
-Underwater fights

It sounds like game will be different/improved enough compared to Rise. Especially tombs and stealth.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
If you told me these were the same game, and I didn't know better, I would believe you.

Um yeah I was about to ask exactly this. I don't know what's what.

She's a Tomb Raider. Not the Tomb Raider

What would make her change, I don't get it. She's already been doing what her character's famous for since the first reboot.

The game starts in Conzumel and it's el dia de los muertos

Mm, nice. I like the Aztec/Mayan focus this one appears to have, though didn't Underworld already feature a lot of this too? Anyways that's always a great region/culture to explore, I love it.

The tombs are more vertical
Nice!

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
New info:

-Underwater fights

It sounds like game will be different/improved enough compared to Rise. Especially tombs and stealth.
Interestingly the tombs were already very vertical if they're just talking of arrangement so I wonder why they focused more on that than improving their presence, complexity, or tie in to overall game progression.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New info:

-Underwater fights

Can you really say they're improvements? We don't know how half of these mechanics actually work in-game, for all we know the mistrust gauge could be a complete annoyance as well as using mud to hide could be OP or too repetitive. Underwater fights scream QTE to me because from the leaked screenshot it looks like mid-QTE event.

Running on walls with a rope sounds probably the most interesting, but will it be limited to scripted events or free-form like in the classic games?

More content =/= better content. I really wish people would learn this.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
^ Not like we need to assume the worst from the extra additions either. Hopefully some gameplay shows off the updates well.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Assume it meant the orientation of the tombs, but maybe it's referring to puzzles having many layers? I'm thinking they just meant orientation.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Can you really say they're improvements? We don't know how half of these mechanics actually work in-game, for all we know the mistrust gauge could be a complete annoyance as well as using mud to hide could be OP or too repetitive. Underwater fights scream QTE to me because from the leaked screenshot it looks like mid-QTE event.

Running on walls with a rope sounds probably the most interesting, but will it be limited to scripted events or free-form like in the classic games?

More content =/= better content. I really wish people would learn this.

Yes i can.
I know CD well enough and i can say that they wont relese worse or less impressive game than Rise. Just my opinion.