• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Best box art I have seen in awhile. Screenshots all look like they have the sharpness turned up to max though. It is a strange effect I do not really like.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best box art I have seen in awhile. Screenshots all look like they have the sharpness turned up to max though. It is a strange effect I do not really like.
It kinda looks like TAA with an overbearing sharpening filter, kinda like the default settings for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided... Considering the console version of Mankind Divided didn't let you turn that off, one hopes they haven't made the same mistake here.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I really wish they would've live-streamed the event! The one in L.A. is also about to begin?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Lara Croft has never been a lesbian.. Why should that change now? They have made here almost asexual in the reboot though.
Some posts ITT are so ridiculous. We got a dude calling reboot Lara ugly, when she looks like this:
med_gallery_29837_1794_85465.png

another dude calling her masculine because apparently he forgot how muscles work , and now you're saying she's almost asexual?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Having anyone responsible for Thief 2014 on board for this has me nervous. I hope they end this trilogy strong, as the first two are among my all time favorites

The box art is stellar

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Some posts ITT are so ridiculous. We got a dude calling reboot Lara ugly, when she looks like this:

another dude calling her masculine because apparently he forgot how muscles work , and now you're saying she's almost asexual?

Not asexual but the games do never actually touch on romances for her, which is fine, mind you.

Although she's yet another example of another female protagonist "not allowed" to have romances, I guess, just so it does not invalidate (male) gamers' sense of "ownership" towards her character.

Oct 25, 2017

I meant her personality not her looks. Not a hint of romance. Her character is model smoking hot IMO.

Not asexual but the games do never actually touch on romances for her, which is fine, mind you.

Although she's yet another example of another female protagonist "not allowed" to have romances, I guess, just so it does not invalidate (male) gamers' sense of "ownership" towards her character.

You get it. I was actually thinking that might be the reason she has no trace of a love interest.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lara ugly? Lol. Reboot Lara is honestly one of the most beautiful characters this gen, they did a great job with her (before and after the updated version, both are good).

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
You get it. I was actually thinking that might be the reason she has no trace of a love interest.

A lot of people, and I do mean a lot of people viewed her interaction with Sam in TR as possibly something more. It would be interesting seeing how the devs would handle that since Sam is coming back.

Also, this will not happen, but I would really love if Lara and Jonas hooks up, hahaha.

poor hacker nathan drake never had a chance

Lara_says_goodbye_to_Alex.gif

Poor bastard. Well at least he has the distinction of being the only man ever kissed by Lara in the whole reboot series, lol.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

There are countless male centered stories where romance is not at all a part of it. Lara's story is not about romance, just like how a character like Moana's story is not about romance and that's ok. It's not that she isn't allowed to have a male love interest.

I meant her personality not her looks. Not a hint of romance. Her character is model smoking hot IMO.
There's nothing asexual about her personality.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
There are countless male centered stories where romance is not at all a part of it. Lara's story is not about romance, just like how a character like Moana's story is not about romance and that's ok. It's not that she isn't allowed to have a male love interest. .

Did I say it's not okay? I even said in my post that it's fine for her not having any romance.

In any event, female leads not getting any romance is a usual trope in video games. If I have to take a gander on the general reason, like I said, most probably it's just to protect male gamers' sense of ownership towards their characters. Maybe CD knowingly/unknowingly realizes that as well, maybe? I don't know, you don't know, it's just a guess anyways.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Did I say it's not okay? I even said in my post that it's fine for her not having any romance.

In any event, female leads not getting any romance is a usual trope in video games. If I have to take a gander on the general reason, like I said, most probably it's just to protect male gamers' sense of ownership towards their characters. Maybe CD knowingly/unknowingly realizes that as well, maybe? I don't know, you don't know, it's just a guess anyways.
At the end of the day it's up to the writer, considering that Square signed off on LiS & it's prequel I don't think they have a problem with female leads who have romance. Not like that situation back when Remember Me was in development.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned : Sexist joke.
There are countless male centered stories where romance is not at all a part of it. Lara's story is not about romance, just like how a character like Moana's story is not about romance and that's ok. It's not that she isn't allowed to have a male love interest.

There's nothing asexual about her personality.

She would absolutely be one of those wives that don't like sex. Like a dead fish!

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
At the end of the day it's up to the writer, considering that Square signed off on LiS & it's prequel I don't think they have a problem with female leads who have romance. Not like that situation back when Remember Me was in development.

Well, in particular to Lara, I very much doubt the devs would actually put forth any sort of romance with her because of her highly iconic status. But we'll see.

If they are bold enough to put her in a romance with a character, I would take a guess that that character would be killed off in the same game, hahah.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
The devs' most recent game was Mankind Divided which was superb.

I expect Shadow of the Tomb Raider to have fun stealth.

That is definitely what I'm hoping for. I also think maybe they've learned from some of their Deus Ex brilliance with hub design to make exploration even better. I'm excited for the new puzzle mechanics and I hope the writing team is really strong.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
She would absolutely be one of those wives that don't like sex. Like a dead fish!
You have some deep seated issues if this is the impression Lara Croft gives you as a result of her story not being about romance.

Well, in particular to Lara, I very much doubt the devs would actually put forth any sort of romance with her because of her highly iconic status. But we'll see.

If they are bold enough to put her in a romance with a character, I would take a guess that that character would be killed off in the same game, hahah.
I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017

I'm not sure why you'd want there to be romances in the first place. 99% of the time, romances feel tacked on. My ideal TR game is one where Lara just explores vast tombs/temples/ruins by herself. No enemies, just platforming and puzzle-solving.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I'm not sure why you'd want there to be romances in the first place. 99% of the time, romances feel tacked on. My ideal TR game is one where Lara just explores vast tombs/temples/ruins by herself. No enemies, just platforming and puzzle-solving.

I guess I am just a hopeless romantic at heart, and I do love my romances in fiction. Is that not a good enough reason?

And it's not like I ever said I would mind TR not having any romance. Did I ever say I'd mind?

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of interested hearing that Sam was coming back but now I hear she isn't so now I am sad. :(

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
The third entry in this TR series reboot, which previous two games have been my GOTYs in 2013 and 2015 (I consider them both 10/10 games, so expect nothing less from this third game).

So without a doubt a day one buy already, don't even need to see a trailer cause I was sold as soon as it was official. And it looks amazing from screenshots, so already all in.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'll have to wait and see on this one. The earlier games got glowing reviews but just didn't click with me at all, which is a shame because Uncharted is one of my favorite series and I would really like something that scratches that itch.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was right, the season pass is gonna be some crappy 1 hour tombs... not 1 gigantic expansion like TR 1-3. Every prediction of mine about this game is coming true, unfortunately.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Its a render, though. Every render for the reboot TR games have looked wildly different from the ingame face.

case in point... I'm replaying ROTTR now and Lara does not look like this in the actual game face wise.
I'm playing it for the first time and man...this game is straight up dumb as shit. The characters are so stupid and the plot is so hilariously goofy.

But it's somehow fun.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
" in this adventure that will trace the crucial moment when she will become Tomb Raider ..."

Wait... she's still not the "Tomb Raider"? We're 3 games in and she's not the title yet?
When will she be considered the "Tomb Raider"? When she finally starts dual wielding pistols and fighting dinosaurs?

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
" in this adventure that will trace the crucial moment when she will become Tomb Raider ..."

Wait... she's still not the "Tomb Raider"? We're 3 games in and she's not the title yet?
When will she be considered the "Tomb Raider"? When she finally starts dual wielding pistols and fighting dinosaurs?
You know they aren't gonna give her her dual pistols, backpack, braided ponytail, etc. They're gonna announce another trilogy lol

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Some of the leaked screenshots really do look great. Other look meh and similar to Rise.

I am not a fan of that weird sharpening. It reminds me of what EM was doing with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.