• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Holy shit those 6 hours flew by. Early impressions are, it's more Tomb Raider and I love it.

Glad the story took a darker turn and became more character driven, after Rise's crazy story, the trilogy really needed this. Really thinking about pulling the all nighter and calling in sick tomorrow lol, I really want to go back in this world and keep on playing. It's too much fun.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
q62M8.png
I can smell the HDR and I am weak on my knees... so gorgeous.

Holy shit those 6 hours flew by. Early impressions are, it's more Tomb Raider and I love it.

Glad the story took a darker turn and became more character driven, after Rise's crazy story, the trilogy really needed this. Really thinking about pulling the all nighter and calling in sick tomorrow lol, I really want to go back in this world and keep on playing. It's too much fun.
I'm saying!!! I'm so addicted. I have this open as I'm playing and I get too hype and check this to express my hype lmfao

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually recommended you do 2 playthroughs if you want easier platinum trophy. See this guide
http://www.powerpyx.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-trophy-guide-roadmap/
Thanks but I'm not going to view a guide for the game just yet. I did think maybe it'd be easier depending on what carried over to NG+, maybe I'll try it again then. But my problems, again, stemmed from silly mistakes punishing me. If I hadn't changed the difficulty, then a little bit later on when I didn't jump fast enough up a wall, I would have been thrown back to who knows when in the game.

Also I enjoy their work but I also find it sketchy that publishers hand them a game just so they can have a guide ready for launch. Let people explore and learn on their own rather than immediately having resources available, but then again I grew up as part of the generation where guide books were popular so who am I to talk.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious, do you live in the US?
I heard that US ISP are throttling the video quality of YouTube.
It looks great on YouTube in my country where such throttling is illegal.
I have watched several YouTube videos where many English YouTube comments say the graphics look like shit while I think they looks amazing.
Maybe that does happen, but it doesn't explain much because youtube footage after the review embargo has looked great everywhere. So their marketing department was peddling out horrendous looking trailers for shits and giggles, I guess. Video reviews have fantastic looking footage.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That CPU is the weakest part and I'm sorry to say so, but it is becoming a bit obsolete at this point.
It should still be able to give you at least stable 30 fps, while the rx 580 can push resolution or extra details above console quality.
If you aim for higher FPS, the PS4Pro isn't able to hold 60 fps and even drops down to the low 40s. Worst case scenario: That's what's going to also happen on the FX 8350.
BTW, you can always buy the game on Steam, test it out for 2h and then refund it if you aren't happy with performance.

If you are on Windows 10. Try out the PC version (with DX12!). If you are on Windows 7 (no DX12 support...) go for the PS4Pro version.
As a follow up:

I just ordered myself a new motherboard and a Ryzen 2700X. Thx for pointing out the age of my CPU. It pushed me over the edge :D

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a follow up:

I just ordered myself a new motherboard and a Ryzen 2700X. Thx for pointing out the age of my CPU. It pushed me over the edge :D

oh wow, didn't meant it that way. But thumbs up, the 2700x is a good choice.

You, probably, already know but:
Order new DDR4 ram, your old DDR3 isn't compatible. 2x8 GB should be more then enough. High frequency and low timings are preferable over size for gaming.
I'd recommend installing Windows 10 on your new system, DX12 is mandatory for this games (significantly better performance over DX11)

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh wow, didn't meant it that way. But thumbs up, the 2700x is a good choice.
As a reminder: You also want to order new DDR4 ram, your old DDR3 isn't compatible. 2x8 GB should be more then enough.
You should also install Windows 10 on your new system, DX12 is mandatory for this games (significantly better performance over DX11)
No problem. Was thinking about upgrading for quite some time now, since my setup already struggles with some games. Especially Battlefield. So the upgrade will come in handy.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Quick (possibly stupid) season pass question. I bought the digital deluxe version for steam so I'll be playing tomorrow morning, but for the life of me I can't find a way to buy the season pass by itself anywhere on steam.

Is this an option that won't go live until Friday, or am I missing it somewhere? All I see are options for the different editions of the game right now.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Quick (possibly stupid) season pass question. I bought the digital deluxe version for steam so I'll be playing tomorrow morning, but for the life of me I can't find a way to buy the season pass by itself anywhere on steam.

Is this an option that won't go live until Friday, or am I missing it somewhere? All I see are options for the different editions of the game right now.
I don't think it's live. Despite the Croft and Special Edition being live on the Australian PSN, the Season Pass is inactive and can't be found.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
This will be great, I think. I expect it to suite me very well. Happy to hear about less heavy combat in this game compared to Rise.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
The "My plane crashed lol" Lara IG post always has me dying LMFAO

The Season Pass is not out yet on the store!

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a couple hours more and if you like arise you'll like this. Hard to recommend if you don't as it is just a continuation from that game so far.

But I loved Rise so this is a great purchase!

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
How tedious is the platinum looking for this?
Based on Deadly Obsession alone, very.

It's actually not that tedious: The game only saves at basecamps, so the hardest part will always be getting to the first one in the "linear" first couple of hours. After that, after you do anything go to ANY basecamp to ensure you don't lose progress if you die a silly death. You do have to be very careful though in those sections where you can go an hour of progress without a basecamp.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually not that tedious: The game only saves at basecamps, so the hardest part will always be getting to the first one in the "linear" first couple of hours. After that, after you do anything go to ANY basecamp to ensure you don't lose progress if you die a silly death. You do have to be very careful though in those sections where you can go an hour of progress without a basecamp.
But even then, having to continue to jump back and forth between a base camp and where you are is tedious, since you're met with loading screens. And like you said, there are those sections where there won't be a base camp for a while so it just doesn't sound like an actual challenge but rather just a big, painful slog.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope on the very low chance that they even mention Sam, they at least get her name right....
33879745-1_E4_F-43_FB-9488-1_EAF9_A2014_EC.jpg

It's Nishimura ffs, still feel like she was erased after the first game due to the sapphic subtext the community noticed.

lol, they couldn't even be bothered to spell her name right.

They should have replaced Jonah with Sam. After the events of the first game Sam becomes more death-daring and wanting to go on adventures with Lara, who is concerned about the influence she is having on her. That's a way better way of doing character development and interaction and allows for three games of evolution of their relationship (or relationship) rather than boring-ass Jonah.

There was nothing "sub" about that text.

Listen, they're just Gal Pals™ okay. Who among us has not occasionally braved a dangerous island murdering hundreds of insane people and risking our lives constantly just to rescue one completely platonic friend? We've all been there.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
After the first few hours of Shadow i question the sanity of anyone that wants to go on adventures with Lara

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I'm sure it'll get better but the start of the game is a perfect way to turn someone away, damn.

Cut scene, qte, cutscene, exploding cave you'd normally have a cool little escape gameplay but no another cutscene instead.

Walking around the village in Mexico as slow as a snail and just not feeling a part of the world. Huge invisible hit detection boxes around all the npcs and tables and the only bit of interaction Lara does is during short cutscenes when she pushes people out of the way.

If you've played Uncharted 4 with Drake walking around the village this feels so restrictive and lacks so much immersion.

The photo mode is a great addition but I think they cheat a little, it seems to load in higher quality meshes and/or lighting when you pause and enter the mode.

Positives so far: it looks great in resolution mode on X and the frame rate is the smoothest 30fps you'll see. The environments seem more detailed or have better tesselation than previous games too.

I have a nice Atmos home theatre but for whatever reason my Xbox likes to delay audio by half a second with Atmos enables so I'm just using standard surround and it still sounds really good.
This sums up my first impression to a tee. Huge fan of the reboot 2013 and Rise but in the first few hours I don't feel attached to this game at all. Now knowing it's kind of light on the combat I wonder how much better it'll get, I feel it will so I won't worry but I echo your sentiments.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info in this thread, I was going to play on deadly obession in my first playthrough but I don't think I can afford to lose an hour of gameplay, I wouldn't even mind up to 20 minutes but an hour is just way too much. I'll just have to make do with hard mode.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I can't convince you based on a screenshot or a video, but trust me when I say if you enjoyed Rise, this is Rise but doing everything 10x better and then some.
What do you think it does better than Rise? My favorite thing about it was the pacing, the fantastic mix of downtime, exploration, combat, scavenging, etc. It was an incredibly well pieced-together game. I get that on paper a sequel can do everything wat better, but still not resonate as much as earlier titles, which is what I'm kind of interpreting from the critics.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Sam's character too. Are gamers really so homophobic that they could not stand Sam's character? I thought homophobes would rather play a lesbian than a female character with male love interest

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Is this on Xbox game pass? Thought I had read so but can't seem to find a definitive answer.