• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Finished the platinum. Definitely did the right thing of doing 100% on hard and then a NG + speedrun for Deadly Obsession as I wouldn't wanna deal with no checkpoints for all the optional stuff. Overall I really liked it and feel 8/10 is about right.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at the chase sequence, that was embarassing. Seriously this game feels like a budget game. Too many unpolished, janky scenes, animations are basically recycled from Rise, graphics are bad (at least compared to other AAA I played this year), sidequest are bad and uninspired.

SE really cheap this one out either via budget and/or time. Rise was polished even though it's bland.

The only saving grace are some of the Challenge tombs even then the jankiness of this game fucks you up sometimes.

Man this is really bad, probably the worse AAA I played since Andromeda and that one was saved by combat. I'm ok and was expecting an average game, I didn't expect it to be bad.

Finished the platinum. Definitely did the right thing of doing 100% on hard and then a NG + speedrun for Deadly Obsession as I wouldn't wanna deal with no checkpoints for all the optional stuff. Overall I really liked it and feel 8/10 is about right.
Can you get all the skills on first playthrough, im doing a platinum run too.

Tecton2

Sep 5, 2018
That sounds like a lot of fun but at that point, might as well make it a different 'female Rambo' game that's totally not about treasure-hunting. (yeah, I know, these reboots are already half-way there........ or was that your point?)

Well I guess my point was not just more Rambo style (that's one part the another is more stealth options), but more of that compelling gameplay. I mean you can replay the same missions in MGSV over and over with completely different outcomes each time.
Cory Barlog also mentions something similar in GoW battles where it's the same enemies on the board but the game is played differently each time.
The enemies in SotTR are pretty static.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
And man Magical Jonah showing up in the end of each 'deadly' dungeon, always cracks me up.

They should do a fourth game where it turns out Jonah actually died in the original one, and Lara's just imagining him.

Or, at the end of the game, you have her defeat the big bad and then she's lying on the ground, spent after the boss fight, and the camera zooms in on her face, then zooms out, revealing that she's on a cave floor, bleeding out from a wound to the stomach. She never made it out of the initial cave on Yamatai, and the events of the games were just her dying fancies.

Then a T-Rex eats her.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
You spend a huge chunk of the game searching for junk, picking up the junk, and spending the junk points on more junk. And, sure, you can choose not to pick it up, but if you don't engage with any part of the game that feeds the skill tree you've basically just got an eight hour linear jog through a jungle corridor and a near constant ticker on screen counting imaginary points you gain automatically and aren't going to use.

I guess it depends on what you consider junk. The documents provide lore, backstory and in some cases, historical facts. The supply caches provide crafting resources (which can be used to make outfits, not just weapon upgrades). The murals provide some basic lore too. The Tombs and Crypts offer puzzle and platforming challenges, which to me are the entire point of a Tomb Raider game. Completing them is a reward in and of itself.

The whole "I only play this game because of the progression system" mentality is just bizarre to me. You should play a game because you enjoy the core gameplay loop. If an RPG has a level cap, do you stop playing as soon as you reach it?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I know a jump scare is coming
Fuck

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I guess it depends on what you consider junk. The documents provide lore, backstory and in some cases, historical facts. The supply caches provide crafting resources (which can be used to make outfits, not just weapon upgrades). The murals provide some basic lore too. The Tombs and Crypts offer puzzle and platforming challenges, which to me are the entire point of a Tomb Raider game. Completing them is a reward in and of itself.

The whole "I only play this game because of the progression system" mentality is just bizarre to me. You should play a game because you enjoy the core gameplay loop. If an RPG has a level cap, do you stop playing as soon as you reach it?
This. I mean the skill tree is really weirdly implemented and i don't even care what i upgraded, but i think they did a great job with the "junk" as you pointed out well enough.
The skilltree is a modern phenomenon, since all games have to have one. The poor implementation in this game doesn't affect negatively my experience with this game at all.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Is it possible to get all skills on your playthrough? I'm planning to 100% it.

And god this game is wonky af. Sometimes Lara grabs to ledges sometimes she spaz out and doesn't. This is an unpolished game and you can easily see the cracks and seams within it.

And man Magical Jonah showing up in the end of each 'deadly' dungeon, always cracks me up.

Yes and no. It's possible to get all of the normal skills, but there are exclusive New Game+ only skills that you can't get until~ well new game plus. There is three for each side of the skill three. You get three of your choice auto-unlocked at the start plus a new outfit and weapon.

The Jaguar Path? is the one time I really wanted to smack the writers for that. I mean all that's keeping Lara from going the safe route is being trapped by some sticks they could get an axe to chop down in 5 mins. I mean the city was literally right there...

Anyway, about to plat the game once I finally finish Deadly Obsession. At least I actually use the perception meds to spot piranhas now. In the end, I loved the game warts and all.

Now if only they had an endurance mode from Rise baked in without it being future DLC.

Oct 26, 2017
Where is the special merchant? The one that sells the rope ascender, lockpick, that huntress outfit? I've seen her once, during that side mission but she doesn't seem to be in that location anymore and the map isn't showing a third merchant icon. This is annoying as hell.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where is the special merchant? The one that sells the rope ascender, lockpick, that huntress outfit? I've seen her once, during that side mission but she doesn't seem to be in that location anymore and the map isn't showing a third merchant icon. This is annoying as hell.
I read that she's randomly appearing, that's why I bought everything I need asap she's available.

Oct 27, 2017

She shows up in a few different places:

-In a room towards the back of the upper city in Paititi.
-Next to a tomb in northeast (?) San Juan.
-In Kuwaq Yaku, she's near a river trail leading to a tomb to the east of the town.

Just listen for her buddy's drums.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum

Check the end of this guide. She travels randomly each time you talk to her and leave the area. Best to buy everything you need in one go if you can.

https://www.powerpyx.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-how-to-get-lockpick/

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeesh. Some of the impressions in here do not have me looking forward to starting this after I finish with Spider-man.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends where you are in the game. You're past that mission. I tried searching frantically after that in all known accessible locations, and she wasn't in any of them. The next time she shows up I'm pretty sure is AFTER you get an outfit the get into a certain place. She's in there. After that area I believe is when she actually starts showing up in random places.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Holy shit at the chase sequence, that was embarassing. Seriously this game feels like a budget game. Too many unpolished, janky scenes, animations are basically recycled from Rise, graphics are bad (at least compared to other AAA I played this year), sidequest are bad and uninspired.

SE really cheap this one out either via budget and/or time. Rise was polished even though it's bland.

The only saving grace are some of the Challenge tombs even then the jankiness of this game fucks you up sometimes.

Man this is really bad, probably the worse AAA I played since Andromeda and that one was saved by combat. I'm ok and was expecting an average game, I didn't expect it to be bad.

you out of your mind bro, if you think graphics are bad. It's one of the best looking games of then gen.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just got past the serpent puzzle. Not sure how much I have left to go in this game, but so far it feels like more of the same with a less engaging story. I'm having fun playing it, but I just don't care about what's going on which was not the case in the first two games.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Depends where you are in the game. You're past that mission. I tried searching frantically after that in all known accessible locations, and she wasn't in any of them. The next time she shows up I'm pretty sure is AFTER you get an outfit the get into a certain place. She's in there. After that area I believe is when she actually starts showing up in random places.
I know the spot you're talking about and she wasn't there for me. It seems she really does move randomly. The only question I wonder is if she stays in her new spot until you find her or if something else triggers her moving again.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you out of your mind bro, if you think graphics are bad. It's one of the best looking games of then gen.
Again that was a hyperbolic statement, it's uneven is what I mean. I'm on PS4 Pro so PC might be a lot better, it's just disappointing after playing Spidey. The only standout was Lara and her hair, everything else need more 'omph'. I'm just probably spoiled from the recent games I played, I was expecting Shadow to be another benchmark like what Rise did on it's time

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got past the serpent puzzle. Not sure how much I have left to go in this game, but so far it feels like more of the same with a less engaging story. I'm having fun playing it, but I just don't care about what's going on which was not the case in the first two games.
Yep it's the first game I played that I was actively skipping the dialogue especially the sidequest and lore. I was expecting a lot more from Eidos Montreal, I think SE didn't give them enough time for this one either that or they just don't like working on the IP. They did a great job with Deus Ex

Oct 25, 2017
Yep that was another stupid design decision. In Rise you got most if not all of them by just playing but in Shadow you can finish the game and not get half the stuff if you don't realise it's from the vendor.
It felt so rewarding in Rise crafting ammo pouches or getting stuff like the rebreather,
heck even getting the military knife felt special.

The only really memorable one in Shadow is finding the shoe spikes, which in Rise was a valuable item Lara was smart enough to bring from the start.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
It felt so rewarding in Rise crafting ammo pouches or getting stuff like the rebreather,
heck even getting the military knife felt special.

The only really memorable one in Shadow is finding the shoe spikes, which in Rise was a valuable item Lara was smart enough to bring from the start.

Not to mention not having a bloody rebreather... despite getting one in rise!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Not to mention not having a bloody rebreather... despite getting one in rise!

Tbh that would've clashed with the whole underwater exploration thing. It'd have made it trivial. As in Rise you basically only used the water as cover or very short sections of traversal.
At least in Shadow, Lara already has most of the equipment that you actually need to unlock in Rise despite already having done it in TR13

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Going just by the environments, I'd say Rise was better. There are more tombs in Shadow and the buildup to them is great whereas in rise, there wasn't much buildup or layers to the tombs.

However, the pure awe and majestic beauty in Rise was really above Shadow. And that to me is an important part as an explorer, when you go through trenches and traverse the dark caverns and narrow ledges to then finally stumble upon something truly magnificent.
Rise setup that bar in achieving a great sense of discovery that unfortunately Shadow couldn't live(rise?) upto.

A couple of examples from Rise to show the breathtaking set pieces that neither Tomb Raider(2013) or Shadow could match.
theearthandtheskyalt.jpg

Rise-of-Tomb-Raider-1.jpg

F2303E0AFB8841DE8633604E931F37FD5121A5E4

150620102320423659.png

I'll remember each one of these set pieces for years because of their sheer majesty unlike Shadow.
Also, Collectathon aside as a hub, geothermal valley was much more gorgeous and fun to explore than paititi :/

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just finished shadow and didn't like it at all. It felt shorter and less memorable than rise.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I'm so torn got the Xbox one x bundle but have yet to use the code. I loved Rise but some of these impressions keep holding me back

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh I'm so torn got the Xbox one x bundle but have yet to use the code. I loved Rise but some of these impressions keep holding me back

People here weren't that warm on Rise either (well, by here, I mean neogaf)
If you loved Rise, there's a good chance you'll like this too. It's really more of the same, just with a tweak to the balance. I preferred the jungle setting of Shadow far above of what Rise offered, for whatever it's worth.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Finished last night. This game was such a mixed bag. I loved the increased focus on exploration, tombs and crypts over combat, but they ended up swinging so far in the other direction that the balance and pacing of the experience suffered.

It still has the upgradable arsenal from the previous two games and a ton of unlockable skills related to combat, but there is almost no combat in the game. As I said, I don't mind at all that there's less of it, but there simply isn't enough of it to make much of the progression and acquisition worthwhile.

For the first few hours, I thought this might end up being my favorite of the reboot trilogy, but after finishing it, it's at the bottom. It feels like they never settled on a cohesive vision for what this game was supposed to be.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People here weren't that warm on Rise either (well, by here, I mean neogaf)
If you loved Rise, there's a good chance you'll like this too. It's really more of the same, just with a tweak to the balance. I preferred the jungle setting of Shadow far above of what Rise offered, for whatever it's worth.

It's just feels like from reading this thread there is all this upgradeable stuff for combat and there is such a lack of combat. I'm a sucker for upgrading shit but not when it's pointless upgrading.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Something about this game just ins't clicking with me and I really liked the TR 2013 and ROTTR. Skills and weapon upgrades don't feel meaningful (although part of it could be that I bought the Croft edition and it gives you powerful weps to start with). There is also some jankiness which I don't remember the first two games having.

There lack of combat hurts the game because the exploring part isnt compelling because the stuff you find doesnt feel like it's helping me that much.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Going just by the environments, I'd say Rise was better. There are more tombs in Shadow and the buildup to them is great whereas in rise, there wasn't much buildup or layers to the tombs.

However, the pure awe and majestic beauty in Rise was really above Shadow. And that to me is an important part as an explorer, when you go through trenches and traverse the dark caverns and narrow ledges to then finally stumble upon something truly magnificent.
Rise setup that bar in achieving a great sense of discovery that unfortunately Shadow couldn't live(rise?) upto.

A couple of examples from Rise to show the breathtaking set pieces that neither Tomb Raider(2013) or Shadow could match.
theearthandtheskyalt.jpg

150620102320423659.png

I'll remember each one of these set pieces for years because of their sheer majesty unlike Shadow.
Also, Collectathon aside as a hub, geothermal valley was much more gorgeous and fun to explore than paititi :/
Yep

I will remember nothing from my experience with Shadow. What a bummer of a follow up to two of my favorite games

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

theearthandtheskyalt.jpg

150620102320423659.png

I disagree, some of the environments, especially the challenge tombs, look incredible.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Yep

I will remember nothing from my experience with Shadow. What a bummer of a follow up to two of my favorite games
Yeah and it's specially disheartening because this was supposed to be the epic climax to the trilogy.
But it went out with a whimper. There was nothing at the end in Lara's personality that changed fundamentally from TR2013.
Maybe learn to be not reckless and think for few seconds before picking up daggers.
But is that really the badass climax of Lara that they were saying we will witness?

Also, don't even remind me of Trinity. All three games build them up like a nefarious entity and they all went out in a smallest whimper at the end. We only heard in the audio that the trinity council all arrived in the end and then magically they all died too. Without us seeing any of them except the main baddy from Paititi, who happens to now also be the leader of trinity out of nowhere.
This was not the climax to the trilogy I was hoping it was gonna be. I'm not saying this is the worst game ever but so far below the expectations for what it could have been :/

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Finished last night. This game was such a mixed bag. I loved the increased focus on exploration, tombs and crypts over combat, but they ended up swinging so far in the other direction that the balance and pacing of the experience suffered.

It still has the upgradable arsenal from the previous two games and a ton of unlockable skills related to combat, but there is almost no combat in the game. As I said, I don't mind at all that there's less of it, but there simply isn't enough of it to make much of the progression and acquisition worthwhile.

For the first few hours, I thought this might end up being my favorite of the reboot trilogy, but after finishing it, it's at the bottom. It feels like they never settled on a cohesive vision for what this game was supposed to be.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. The marketing was so big on stealth and variety in approaching enemies, but the game has so few combat scenarios, most packed into the last third of the game, that it never felt like you were developing an assortment of new techniques or getting more complicated scenarios like in the Arkham games. Like you said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that the game focuses more on exploration, but since environmental stealth seemed to be biggest talking/selling point going into release, it feels weird how barebones the systems actually are.

I hated the piranha and eel underwater stealth sections as well. Thankfully they're used pretty sparingly, but eh, just not my idea of fun. The tombs were great and there are some absolutely beautiful environments to explore.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game, but I think it's was my least favorite experience of the reboot trilogy. If I were to go back and play the 2013 reboot again, I might rank Shadow above it, as the original really didn't have much in terms of exploration, but I think I enjoyed my time with it back then more than I did Shadow today, as the Uncharted formula was still fresh and it was exciting to see a new depiction of Lara. Rise is my favorite, as it seemed to have the best balance of combat and exploration.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh that would've clashed with the whole underwater exploration thing. It'd have made it trivial. As in Rise you basically only used the water as cover or very short sections of traversal.
At least in Shadow, Lara already has most of the equipment that you actually need to unlock in Rise despite already having done it in TR13
It would have been fine as an extremely late piece of equipment for Lara to find, or that required multiple other equipment to get to.

Felt like late game Rise Lara is this completely equipped and prepared badass,
Then in Shadow she reverts to 2013 and Uncharted's "making it up as I go" and worse "tourist who buys merchandise from overpriced vendors at the last minute"

I would have even forgiven it if you just found loads of Lara's gear scattered throughout the jungle from the plane crash,
but nope feels like she comes in with only a bow and climbing axe

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm the patch friday on xbox doesn't fix glitched Dr. Croft trophy either, I have a normal save game that is at 100% and only missing 2 artifacts that you auto pick up on the final mission but neither are counted. I've reloaded it and tried moving from campfire to campfire to force recheck or anything but it won't fix it. Starting a NG+ doesn't fix it either. Maybe if I finish a NG+ it might fix it but I just don't have the desire to complete the game on deadly obsession.

If you are on the fence on the game, its not terrible. Its pretty fun while you play, its pretty, audio is good, and you enjoy the ride as you play. After you finish though a lot of people are going to feel like things were missing, and when you dig into the game there are flaws. Every game has flaws, it really just becomes a personal question of whether the flaws detract from a great game or not. The three games it reminds me a lot of are Dishonored 2, Mafia 3 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided, the last one not being a surprise since its the exact same studio that made Shadow. If you liked those 3 games you'll probably like this game. If you didn't like those games you may not like this one.

One REALLY weird thing with the latest patch though, I own the physical copy (gonna trade it in) but my X is letting me launch the game with Forza horizon 4 ultimate in the drive. No DVD check going on, I definitely do NOT own the digital version - free game play weekend or something? Not sure if its a weird system bug I am just experiencing or what.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

theearthandtheskyalt.jpg

150620102320423659.png

I have to agree with what you wrote about Rise, but i disagree that Shadow couldn't match it.
They are two different games when it comes environments. Developers explained it very well, when they said that Rise was more about ascending and going up, while Shadow is more about descending and going underground. I will remember many of the amazing parts from Rise, but Shadow was just as good if not even better.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Rise had some great setpieces but Shadow feels far more consistent to me. I really didn't like the Soviet Installation in Rise and that was a huge part of the game.