• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the 'flashback' sequences. I found the puzzles way more obtuse in this. Some would say they're challenging, I would say, somewhat badly designed.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the flashback sequences (OK, there is more than one! Oops!) or the main game when you refer to the puzzles, but I'm glad I've seen a few people who feel this way (makes me feel I'm not totally crazy).

I came pretty close the other day to calling it quits on the game after a particularly annoying session — I had saved just after entering a challenge tomb... the tomb puzzle was largely "find the path up" and stumped me for a few minutes. Then, I got back on the main path and again hit a roadblock. I know what I'm supposed to do, but I also know I'm meant to get to a different vantage point. I'm just not sure exactly where. I don't really want white paint smeared everywhere in the world, but my plan is to revisit it tonight and turn the pathfinding assist up... I'm pretty fed up with not noticing handholds (or thinking I can grab onto something and then jumping to my death). I do like the fact the difficulty settings are customizable like that.

This isn't the kind of scenario that would be a total showstopper for me in general, but I am getting older, crustier and less patient... and unfortunately the stuff in between these moments hasn't been entertaining me the way the previous installments did. Of course, I'm one of those people who really enjoyed the first couple of new TR... so if it Shadow was just more combat and light platforming I'd have been pretty satisfied. Even though it sounds like it ends with a bit of a thud and it has never been the highlight of these new games, I would like to see where the story goes (and I think it's got some really great-looking moments... so I'd like to see what other artistry the team has come up with)

At any rate, I'll be giving it another go tonight, and if it still isn't clicking, I'll probably call it quits... maybe it's just not for me. Fortunately, if I do, I can trade it in for what I paid, so that's a plus.

(Also, agree with all the posts about the piranhas. Really, the swimming stuff in general is not my favorite... another annoying moment last night was coming up for air somehow turned me around at one point, and I wound up briefly going in circles.)

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a patch out on steam.

"Fixes included in this patch:
  • Fixes related to some players not being able to achieve 100% completion, including:
    • Problems related to the Champion's Bow quest.
    • Problems related to the 'Dr Croft' and 'That's a Knife' achievements.
    • Problems with monoliths.
    • And various others.
  • Fixes a problem where some items would not carry over into New Game+.
  • Fixes for a progression blocker some players experienced in Kuwaq Yaku.
  • Fixes for a progression blocker some players experienced in the Peruvian Jungle.
  • Fixes for a progression blocker some players experienced in Manko's Tomb.
  • Fixed a problem where some in-game hints would still trigger even if the player had them disabled.
  • Updates to VO and localization in various languages.
  • Fixed a problem that caused some PC configurations to be unable to successfully enable stereoscopic 3D.
  • Fixed DX12 problems specific to Windows 10 version 1511.
  • A large number of smaller stability and functionality fixes."

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Finished the story the other night. I'd say the story is the weakest part of the game, even though I enjoyed it more than the other two. Exploring and the challenge tombs are easily the best part of the game. I wish it ran a bit better on my machine, but poor performance makes it kind of hard to play. It doesn't matter what preset I try, performance is always hovers around like 45 FPS, even if I drop the resolution down from 1440p to 1080p.

Also, some story questions:
what's up with the knife turning orange at the end of the game when you fight the final boss? Also, it was suggested that Lara was going to be sacrificed, but then her magic powers saved her?
I was pretty into the story up until the very last part, and then it fell a bit flat for me. Is this a game where you have to find documents to fill in the gaps in the story?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Patch seems to have resolved the collection issues, retroactively. That's nice. I'm still missing a bunch of unmarked caches though.

<some time later>

MnrYtNW.jpg

That was annoying.

Last edited:

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Is this when you're scaling the cliffs to the prison cell and the rock starts to break away?

It's the most I've had to restart on Deadly Obsession >_>

On another note, how come some cutscenes can't be skipped? Some instantly have the touch pad icon appear but some can go the entire cutscene without giving a skip option, even if it's 30 seconds long and you don't change areas? It's so frustrating when having to re-do sections and the game won't let you skip.

It might have been that, yes, but it's so odd, I feel like all the possible gliches in the game have started to appear in my Deadly Obsession playthrough, and I'm terrified of the platforming because I can't trust the game anymore. I've even encountered an invisible wall glitch, but that was resolved when I changed my outfit at the camp. Weird.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It might have been that, yes, but it's so odd, I feel like all the possible gliches in the game have started to appear in my Deadly Obsession playthrough, and I'm terrified of the platforming because I can't trust the game anymore. I've even encountered an invisible wall glitch, but that was resolved when I changed my outfit at the camp. Weird.
That spot was where I died most during Deadly Obsessions. It's funny, I didn't die at all in combat but platforming was where it became a pain.

In other news, I finally achieved my goal and have the platinum for Shadow of the Tomb Raider :')

DolD9XSU0AAWOlL.jpg

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
That spot was where I died most during Deadly Obsessions. It's funny, I didn't die at all in combat but platforming was where it became a pain.

In other news, I finally achieved my goal and have the platinum for Shadow of the Tomb Raider :')

DolD9XSU0AAWOlL.jpg

Congrats! I just achieved the same. It took me a couple of tries to get through the final boss battle, but I guess that makes it even more satisfying.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
WTF. I was only missing the Champion Bow quest for 100% completion. After today's update, I was able to complete that quest, but now in San Juan, I only have 4/9 relics completed even though all 9/9 are grayed out on the map. No way I am going to play a 3rd time to only be bugged out at the end.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
That should be fixed soon. The PC version was patched earlier today, and I just unlocked Dr. Croft after reloading my save.
Think, you misunderstood my post. Today's patch made it worse. It fixed my Champion Bow quest bug which before was the only thing I needed for 100% completion, but now in San Juan, it messed up my relics count from 9/9 to 4/9. All 9/9 relics still showed up grayed out on the map. I went from 99% to 90% completion.

Edit: Fixed it by following someone's post on Steam. I completed the missing quest, and then, reload my 99% completion save file from Sept 19. Then, the 100% completion trophy popped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Think, you misunderstood my post. Today's patch made it worse. It fixed my Champion Bow quest bug which before was the only thing I needed for 100% completion, but now in San Juan, it messed up my relics count from 9/9 to 4/9. All 9/9 relics still showed up grayed out on the map. I went from 99% to 90% completion.

Edit: Fixed it by following someone's post on Steam. I completed the missing quest, and then, reload my 99% completion save file from Sept 19. Then, the 100% completion trophy popped.

Ah. Glad you got it sorted!

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Seems like they are not sticking to their release plans? I thought this would be a October release and not november.

Not happy about score attacks. This will probably kill my approach having 100% Achievement completion.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up the game today. While not my favourite entry of the recent trilogy, it was still a really good game. Swimming sections were awesome and the tombs were all way more engaging that the previous two games (as much as I can recall right now at least). The more I played it, the more I felt like there were a ton of subtle differences brought on by the change of lead dev, some good, some bad, but it earns it's place.

Kind of a bummer that this may be it for Tomb Raider for the next while but it was a great run.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trucking along and now suddenly I'm at the "talk to this person and no more fast travel til the story is done" point.

I must have missed a lot because my progress says like %54.

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't going to get this, but after finishing Rise of the Tomb Raider, I just had to play more.

I'm still in the beginning of the game, but I'm really enjoying it. So far most of Shadow is better than Rise, it controls so much better.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
A small hotfix out on Steam

"[05-10-2018] Updated with a hotfix to resolve a problem with the bow, when dying under specific circumstances in Lost in the Jungle in NG+"

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So i'm stuck at 99 % at the hidden city because one of the monolith is not working for me. Completed the game then and i now i can't go back. Started a new game plus and all the collectibles are gone. Seriously fuck the developers of the game. I'm not going to collect 400 items over again.

Deadly Obsession is stupid with it's save points. After the first real climbing session i died at the following encounter outside the tomb and i restart before the tomb. Yeah not gonna do that. Selling this piece of shit asap.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't going to get this, but after finishing Rise of the Tomb Raider, I just had to play more.

I'm still in the beginning of the game, but I'm really enjoying it. So far most of Shadow is better than Rise, it controls so much better.
Yeah, Lara has actual weight in her movement, the running animation feels so good.
So i'm stuck at 99 % at the hidden city because one of the monolith is not working for me. Completed the game then and i now i can't go back. Started a new game plus and all the collectibles are gone. Seriously fuck the developers of the game. I'm not going to collect 400 items over again.

Deadly Obsession is stupid with it's save points. After the first real climbing session i died at the following encounter outside the tomb and i restart before the tomb. Yeah not gonna do that. Selling this piece of shit asap.
My first playthrough is on deadly obsession and i feel that it's actually the way it should played, if you can handle some frustrating moments here and there, but great accomplishment and sense of adventure ramped to eleven if you are able to do it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not seeing how Deadly Obsession is satisfying at all since 90% of deaths come from the glitchy platforming physics or missing an obscure ledge. Losing 30 minutes of progress because Lara for some reason didn't grab onto the ledge properly is the opposite of satisfying.

I would never recommend anyone bother with that mode unless they are going for the platinum trophy.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Am i really stuck in this lame blue tunic for the rest of the game? Give me all these fashion options which I am loving, then lock content and story behind a singluar costume?

I hate this.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017

DolD9XSU0AAWOlL.jpg
Did you play first run on DO? Or on normal? Is it just gonna be frustrating on DO the first run or is it a case of by halfway you have enough upgrades on DO where it wouldn't be worth doing DO as a second playthrough after a normal playthrough?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Am i really stuck in this lame blue tunic for the rest of the game? Give me all these fashion options which I am loving, then lock content and story behind a singluar costume?

I hate this.

You need to wear it only in that area. And i think after you finish the game you can wear whatever you want but i am not 100% sure.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Did you play first run on DO? Or on normal? Is it just gonna be frustrating on DO the first run or is it a case of by halfway you have enough upgrades on DO where it wouldn't be worth doing DO as a second playthrough after a normal playthrough?
I started out on Deadly Obsession but quit during the first level and restarted on normal.

Second playthrough was on Deadly Obsession with everything carrying over, making combat and everything trivially easy. The only issue was some wonky platforming at some points.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Went into this game with somewhat low expectations and have to say it turned out to be my favorite of the reboot franchise by far. Very much welcomed that combat had been toned down a lot and the setpieces were also more to my liking. The adjustable difficulty was also a nice idea, though I would have liked an option that deactivates the survival instinct but leaves the white paint on climbable surfaces. The weakest link is yet again the story (and Laras characterization where I'm still not sure if they want her to be a cold blooded killer or not) but I found it overall serviceable and they imo did a much better job with fleshing out secondary characters compared to the previous games.

Finished the story the other night. I'd say the story is the weakest part of the game, even though I enjoyed it more than the other two. Exploring and the challenge tombs are easily the best part of the game. I wish it ran a bit better on my machine, but poor performance makes it kind of hard to play. It doesn't matter what preset I try, performance is always hovers around like 45 FPS, even if I drop the resolution down from 1440p to 1080p.

Also, some story questions:
what's up with the knife turning orange at the end of the game when you fight the final boss? Also, it was suggested that Lara was going to be sacrificed, but then her magic powers saved her?
I was pretty into the story up until the very last part, and then it fell a bit flat for me. Is this a game where you have to find documents to fill in the gaps in the story?
afaik was the knife glowing because she took the guys magic dagger away and used it to stab him. I'm not quite sure why Lara was saved but I assumed it was somehow the spirit of the Queen that sacrificed herself in Laras place.

Last edited:

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
This ain't bad - I just love bow based shooters, and the exploration / combat / puzzle mix is well done (some of the puzzles are pretty bad tough) but the story and dialogue are so bad so far
just made it to the Hidden City

I think it's a tiny bit light on combat so far. Maybe that is just me

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm. I just finished it, as someone who loved TR2013 and to a lesser extent rise, I have a lot of thoughts. Will try and write them up.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This ain't bad - I just love bow based shooters, and the exploration / combat / puzzle mix is well done (some of the puzzles are pretty bad tough) but the story and dialogue are so bad so far
just made it to the Hidden City

I think it's a tiny bit light on combat so far. Maybe that is just me

I'm up to the hidden city as well and there hasn't been much combat at all.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to the hidden city as well and there hasn't been much combat at all.
Yes, I feel like there could be more. I also used to think that combat was somewhat challenging in the other two, but this is strange as I have barely gotten into a fight and already had a fully upgraded revolver which so far has turned combat into laughably easy mode (I mostly play with the bow though but sometime will channel my inner dirty Harry and smoke everyone in seconds)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Most of the combat is in the last 25%of the story where it goes back to the Rise formula, the middle section of the game has very little.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I just got to the past where
the rebel leader dies and i give her son the necklace so he becomes the new leader.
. How far along am I in the story?

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Overall, I really enjoyed this game. I feel like there was thought put behind combat encounters, rather than putting all enemies in a room and giving you more than enough tools to deal with them. With Shadow, I felt like I had to analyze my situation before striking, and some of the skills were really useful too. There are some really odd platforming issues though, and they're even more apparent in Deadly Obsession, for some reason, but aside from that, this is my favorite from the trilogy.

I just got to the past where
the rebel leader dies and i give her son the necklace so he becomes the new leader.
. How far along am I in the story?

I think you have two or three story missions left. The game will notify you when you're about to begin the last mission, so you can do more exploration if needed.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Most of the combat is in the last 25%of the story where it goes back to the Rise formula, the middle section of the game has very little.

I was about to finally call it quits on the game before I hit this point. The decision to basically cut all the combat out of the game is baffling. It really hurt the pacing, for me, but I really liked the last two so that's not too surprising. You get basically a handful of chances to use the new tools they marketed the game so hard on. I think I used mud cover 3 times by the time the credits rolled.

Definitely the weakest story of the 3. I started zoning out during the story bits by the end. I don't think the franchise really knows what it wants to say or be anymore. I kind of feel like I could go back and play Rise again right now, but I'm not sure I'll think about Shadow again by the time I wake up tomorrow.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I was about to finally call it quits on the game before I hit this point. The decision to basically cut all the combat out of the game is baffling. It really hurt the pacing, for me, but I really liked the last two so that's not too surprising. You get basically a handful of chances to use the new tools they marketed the game so hard on. I think I used mud cover 3 times by the time the credits rolled.

Definitely the weakest story of the 3. I started zoning out during the story bits by the end. I don't think the franchise really knows what it wants to say or be anymore. I kind of feel like I could go back and play Rise again right now, but I'm not sure I'll think about Shadow again by the time I wake up tomorrow.

There's like a 30 minute stretch where you basically turn into the predator with the mud mechanic and it's honestly cool as shit. That should have been an integral part of gameplay along with the expanded tombs and that formula would have worked for me. The shooting is whatever in these games for me, I don't need it necessarily.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
There's like a 30 minute stretch where you basically turn into the predator with the mud mechanic and it's honestly cool as shit. That should have been an integral part of gameplay along with the expanded tombs and that formula would have worked for me. The shooting is whatever in these games for me, I don't need it necessarily.

Absolutely. The stealth and predator aspects of the combat are the fun part. Once it devolves into a gunfight, it's replacement level at best. If caught, I always reset back into stealth. The mud, vegetation walls, and tree takedowns add a lot of variety and are terrific additions to your toolbox. If they had found a better pacing fit with the tombs, crypts, and combat, the game could have been something special.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm having a blast, yeah there isn't as much combat but it's enough to not get bored with it. I have some issues with things that have been repeated throughout the series, I wish they would have taken more chances being a new studio made it.

However the scene where Lara
rises out of the fiery water
So fucking badass.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So far I'm having a blast, yeah there isn't as much combat but it's enough to not get bored with it. I have some issues with things that have been repeated throughout the series, I wish they would have taken more chances being a new studio made it.

However the scene where Lara
rises out of the fiery water
So fucking badass.

That scene was awesome! Her dialogue during it was shocking too. Though it was a bit ridiculous having
a huge oil refinery right next to a supposedly hidden city. It was put there just so she could blow it up, but I still loved it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game earlier. It was whatever, I guess.

I thought the first game in the reboot series was great but the last two have just been okay. One of the things that I REALLY loved about the first game was the combat, I have a lot of cool memories of going through levels full stealth mode with the bow and arrow but in this game it almost felt like they were scared to create combat scenarios. It's almost about halfway through the game when you finally get a shotgun, which almost feels pointless at that point. You can also upgrade your weapons or even buy brand new ones from vendors but what's the point? It's not like you really use it much.

The best part of the game were maybe the last 2 or so hours since they actually had multiple combat scenarios but even those were pretty short, if they whole game would've been like that, I would've probably enjoyed my time way more with it. As it stands I wouldn't be arsed to do a lot of the tombs or side stuff since I didn't care enough about the game.

[edit]

I see that others brought up the fact that combat was almost nonexistent in this game. It's such a bummer that my favorite part of this series feels like an afterthought in this game.

Y'all remember that section in Rise where you were in this shanty town with a shit ton of enemies? Man, this place was fun as fuck. I remember running all over the place, climbing this and that, going around corners and shotgunning mofos in the face or sneaking around head shooting with my bow. There was nothing half as fun as that in this entire game.

Last edited:

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I see that others brought up the fact that combat was almost nonexistent in this game. It's such a bummer that my favorite part of this series feels like an afterthought in this game.

Combat has always been the worst part of the series. It was passable in the reboots but not particularly good. If I only cared about combat, I would definitely not be interested in any TR game. It's kind of baffling to hear people say that their favorite part of the series (the last three games only, I assume) is the combat.

Anyway, it's cool that they're adding co-op to the DLC but a bit strange as well. Co-op is a pretty major feature so adding it exclusively to DLC seems... excessive?

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Combat has always been the worst part of the series. It was passable in the reboots but not particularly good. If I only cared about combat, I would definitely not be interested in any TR game. It's kind of baffling to hear people say that their favorite part of the series (the last three games only, I assume) is the combat.

Anyway, it's cool that they're adding co-op to the DLC but a bit strange as well. Co-op is a pretty major feature so adding it exclusively to DLC seems... excessive?
Coop was already part of Rise TR :P