• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this last night. Probably my least favorite of the trilogy.

The predator sections against Trinity are the best part of the game easily but they are hardly there.

The story is terrible and they use the same NPC face for so many characters it was driving me crazy.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Combat has always been the worst part of the series. It was passable in the reboots but not particularly good. If I only cared about combat, I would definitely not be interested in any TR game. It's kind of baffling to hear people say that their favorite part of the series (the last three games only, I assume) is the combat.

Anyway, it's cool that they're adding co-op to the DLC but a bit strange as well. Co-op is a pretty major feature so adding it exclusively to DLC seems... excessive?
I don't care about the series as a whole, my comment was only talking about the reboot and Rise's combat was a shit ton of fun. And is it really that baffling that people seem to think the best part of this game is the last bit of the game where there's a good bit of combat? Seems like a lot of people also fine that part of the reboots to be fun.

What IS baffling to me is that they decided like they could almost completely drop their combat for a huge chunk of the game. Guided platforming gets pretty dull when it's the only thing you're doing for massive amounts of time without a break.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
So far I've been having a great time with it, only played it for about 4-5 hours still says that it's 20% or more completed.

I'm not sure yet what all the complaining is about, I love collectahons and the game looks incredible(even on the ps4 pro). The controls are great. The tombs I've encountered so far are excellent, playing on hard definitely makes it more fun.

I paid $50 CND(walmart e3 sale) so I'm pretty happy with it.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If it drops on Steam I'll be pissed because I can't refund and rebuy because I have well over 2 hours on clock from using the benchmark tool, I haven't truly played it yet as I'm waiting for RTX.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I'm not sure yet what all the complaining is about, I love collectahons and the game looks incredible(even on the ps4 pro). The controls are great. The tombs I've encountered so far are excellent, playing on hard definitely makes it more fun.

If combat is your priority, SoTR will be disappointing because it doesn't have a lot of combat. If platforming, puzzle-solving and exploration are your priorities, you'll have a much better time.

It's tricky modernizing older series. New players thought TR2013 was great because it focused on combat and set-pieces while TR vets thought there wasn't enough platforming or puzzle-solving. SoTR flipped the ratio around and now new players are complaining about the lack of combat while vets are complaining that the platforming and puzzle-solving are too easy and too optional. It seems like it's impossible to appease both audiences.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
If combat is your priority, SoTR will be disappointing because it doesn't have a lot of combat. If platforming, puzzle-solving and exploration are your priorities, you'll have a much better time.

It's tricky modernizing older series. New players thought TR2013 was great because it focused on combat and set-pieces while TR vets thought there wasn't enough platforming or puzzle-solving. SoTR flipped the ratio around and now new players are complaining about the lack of combat while vets are complaining that the platforming and puzzle-solving are too easy and too optional. It seems like it's impossible to appease both audiences.

Unfortunately that happens quite a bit. Ultimately you can't please everyone. In saying that there was a lot beyond game play that also didn't work about Rise. Notably the Trinity global conspiracy. TR2013 was a simple story about a girl who wanted to save her best friend from a malevolent supernatural being. Rise/Shadow are all global conspiracy, guilt and daddy issues. There definitely seemed to be a sense that New Lara was somewhat of an imposter by older players. TR2013 was my first entry into the series, despite being the right age for it, i had never played a TR game before then so that didn't really bother me.

As for game play. There is a happy medium between Old and 2013 player. What often gets overlooked with TR2013 is that it is a simple Metroidvania style game. With Metroidvania type games the world is the puzzle and doubling down on that aspect would appeal to both old and new players alike.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game should be played adventure and puzzles in hard setting, otherwise it can get boring becouse there is no challenge.
The good thing is that if you get really stuck, you can always lower the puzzle difficulty and see how to get through.

New patch make Pro performance mode framerate better, outside villages.

Last edited:

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
As for game play. There is a happy medium between Old and 2013 player. What often gets overlooked with TR2013 is that it is a simple Metroidvania style game. With Metroidvania type games the world is the puzzle and doubling down on that aspect would appeal to both old and new players alike.

Eh, I wouldn't say that the Metroidvania structure is really a puzzle at all. It's pretty obvious when an area is gated by an unlockable. There's no real thinking involved. You just come back when you have the appropriate tool to enter the area.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Eh, I wouldn't say that the Metroidvania structure is really a puzzle at all. It's pretty obvious when an area is gated by an unlockable. There's no real thinking involved. You just come back when you have the appropriate tool to enter the area.

You can be that reductive for most puzzles though. Insert puzzle isn't challenging, you just have to find the key, to open the door, to do the thing that allows you to find the next key ect.

You are right of course as to the linear nature of Metroidvania games. However when you combine that genre with a singular set location, the retracing of your steps with additional tools gives the location more depth and finding the "Exit Door" becomes increasingly difficult. That is the puzzle. For those uninterested in challenge you can have way points, for those who like the exploring they will do without, they may even try to sequence break. Sequence breaking could even be encouraged by design with more demanding platforming challenges/ hidden labyrinths.

Throw in a few set pieces related to key story events (Prince of Persia Warrior Within does this really well) possibly reshaping the world/resetting the giant world as a puzzle concept, and keep the main/obvious path full of combat and you have a game that is true to both old and new versions of the IP

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must say that the story is lacking me also, the second village is too much, big mistake to bring it.
I feel that story is drifting now, focus is lost, it's a big shame, the game is good enough.

Last edited:

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else get the audio-breaking bug with this latest update? Details https://www.resetera.com/threads/sound-of-the-tomb-raider-ps4-pro.73862/

It's ruining the game for me. Although, to be honest, it was immediately obvious that this game is not even as good as Rise. The story is awful, the graphics tend to hitch (PS4 pro), and now the audio is broken. If this were the second game of the series, I'd just put it down and not come back. Since it's the final in the trilogy, I'll power through.

I started on hard mode, but I'm going to go down to normal so the game can finish more quickly. This audio bug makes the game unplayable, though.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've almost beat it. Good lord is this a slog.

Spoilers:

Also, so Lara causes 2 natural disasters that kills a whole village? And barely seems to care. Wow.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the story. Game had some stunning vistas and some great vibes but that heavily dropped off after reaching Paititi (which, as I said earlier, was a fantastic lively hub and I think my favorite of the three games). The platforming quality got increasingly worse as the game progressed I felt. Combat was weirdly non-existent. Not that I mind all too much but they introduced some new mechanics which got barely used. The skill system was felt absolutely tacked on in this one, I think it had a more direct impact in the previous two entries. Resources and crafting equally useless ("I can't carry anymore") but that has been the case in Rise as well iirc. The finale was meh.

Overall, beautiful audio-visual execution (bar some voice issues) but a pretty forgettable game. I hope they re-do the formula for whatever is next in the Tomb Raider franchise. My interest in third person cover-shooter adventures in general seems satisfied considering I came to a similar conclusion with Uncharted 4. I still love the exotic sceneries though so I hope they can think of something to combine that with gameplay I enjoy lol.

Last edited:

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
I finished the game on Normal and collected 100% of the collectables. Now I started with Deadly Obsesion and I already completed the prologue, but starting the game I cant get past the combat versus the two jaguars. I merely kill one of them but then another one appears and start a QTE ( Where I have to press left-right with the right stick) but always kills me. I tried 4 or 5 times and cant get pass that QTE, is there some kind of trick? Or is a situation of "git gut"?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm nearing the final bits of the story and I'd like to have finished all crypts and stuff. How do you get to the crypt that is close to Belly of the serpent?

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story last night and all I can really say is that it is just a disappointing game. I'm actually kind of mad because RoTTR is one of my favorite games this gen and they had a chance to do something really special here and they just botched it.

Visually the game is a stunner on XBX, some scenes were jaw dropping even on frame rate mode. I never had an issue with the platforming or anything control related, I felt it actually played better than RoTTR. Also kudos to the dev for giving individual difficulty options.

That's about all I can say positive about it...

Skill tree....pointless, by the last battle I had 10 skill points with nothing really useful to use them on.

Mud system....underutilized.

Story, couldn't give 2 shits about anything that had a story element. There was nothing worth caring to really get invested in.

Dominguez....probably the worst villain ever.

Useless weapon upgrade system because of how infrequent you needed to use them.

How are we 3 games in and still magically finding rope wrapped around shit so I can attach an arrow to? Try to think of something more natural for that type of puzzle/traversal.

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it yesterday at 95% complete. Meaning I did all the tombs and crypts and what not. I see no reason to go and grab those collectables though.

It was a mixed bag for me. Starts off great, looks great, had some really nice exploration but there lies the problem too. The focus is mostly on exploration and very rarely a combat encounter. This makes all the weapons you can buy and all the skills rather obsolete really. The balance between this is just bad, real bad. Rise was much better there.

Some very weird inconsistencies as well and I can't help but feel that Crystal would not have made these mistakes. I think they would have knocked it out of the park. Didn't care all that much for the story either. So it seems my first fear did come true, a new developer being put on a game that should have been made by the one that did the first two. Thanks SE.

That being said I do hope this isn't the end for Lara.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Never has a Tomb Raider bored me before. Game was a slog. I can appreciate them trying to be more puzzle driven over combat but to do that you can't still make your areas a linear path. Combat helps break that up.

And the story over the last 2 games was not interesting at all.

I can only recommend the first game of the new trilogy.

I think on the whole the makers of this game missed the mark completely on who Lara is. Which if you read any of the interviews seems to have been their point.

Last edited:

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
Was dropping in to see some impressions before taking advantage of the psn flash sale. I loved TR 2013. I thought Rise was okay, but I thought it had too much open world filler and I'm not crazy about the Trinity storyline. Seems like this one doubles down on some things from Rise? Might wait for a deeper discount.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was dropping in to see some impressions before taking advantage of the psn flash sale. I loved TR 2013. I thought Rise was okay, but I thought it had too much open world filler and I'm not crazy about the Trinity storyline. Seems like this one doubles down on some things from Rise? Might wait for a deeper discount.

Thankfully it came with my One X bundle but after finishing it I wouldn't pay more than 30 bucks for it. Just a very disappointing game.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Picked the game up on launch for a good price but only now got around to actually play it. I'm a Tomb Raider Fan since the very first in 1997 (?) and played every single one on PC, although with Chronicles there was also settling some fatigue... after so many games I'm fine with changes, even with drastic ones. I enjoyed Legends, finished it a couple of times, and especially Anniversary. Underworld was quite enjoyable too.

TR2013 really hit my nerve because its story mystical, the atmosphere was groomy and I constantly wanted to know what happened on the island. Combat was fun and the modernised platforming was cool -- in the end the platforming in the old games was only somewhat difficult because of the controls, not because of design and combat, especially against humans (oh TR2...) was always the worst part and was finally made fun.

Coming to Shadow, I instantly disabled all features that make the game too easy and shallow. Unfortunately it's kind of designed around that with many perks, but the levelling/skill system was absurd since 2013 -- the game is too easy and many perks have little use where they REALLY come in handy. However, without any HUD and any meta-indications on where to go and to jump, it's highly immersive experience, and there already has been a couple of times within my six hours of playtime where I needed a minute to realise where to jump and climb to. Some hubs were a little bigger than others and I needed a moment to orientate myself, when returning from a tomb or a remote corner, on where to go -- no floating icons, no compass, no marker. Also, Lara finally manages to speak like a normal woman (and having a normal conversation) without constantly sounding weepy (she does that even in the localised version on any occasion in previous games).

So far I really have good time with the game.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Finally finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Never has a Tomb Raider bored me before. Game was a slog. I can appreciate them trying to be more puzzle driven over combat but to do that you can't still make your areas a linear path. Combat helps break that up.

And the story over the last 2 games was not interesting at all.

I can only recommend the first game of the new trilogy.

I think on the whole the makers of this game missed the mark completely on who Lara is. Which if you read any of the interviews seems to have been their point.

I agree with all of this except the last point. Who Lara is and what she represents can change over the decades; the developers are free to characterise Lara any way they want to. It's just that they chose to take her in a direction I don't find compelling or interesting enough to spend a 100+ hours with across three games. It's sad that the most prominent female lead character in gaming has this muddled and even off-putting portrayal. She doesn't have to be quippy or charming but I'd prefer aspirational and inspirational heroes, not someone who slogs through challenges with a detached sense of duty and resignation.

Yes, heroism can be a burden and that is a valid theme to explore... but playing a hero in a videogame should not feel burdensome across its entire length.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Picked this up on the PSN Flash Sale over the weekend only to find that the game's positional audio is busted and almost everything is limited to the right rear speaker. What a fucking mess.

At least Eidos Montreal twitter acknowledged the issue and says a fix is in progress. Still, its always a kick in the nuts to buy a game that's completely busted out of the gate.

Looks like the issue was only introduced in the last patch and exclusive to PS4.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So I just finished the game at 100% last night, what an awesome game IMO! It was absolutely breathtaking on the Xbox One X, and the sound with headphones on was incredible too. While Spider-Man may have been better at the moments where it was truly great (namely web slinging through the city), I honestly had more fun overall playing through this game. I will definitely be getting the DLC, which sounds awesome with 7 months worth of drops with a new tomb and other stuff each time. I may even check out the Game Plus mode at some point. This was my personal favorite of the reboot series, and I thought the looks back at Lara as a child were really great.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Patch 1.0.235.3 out.

"Fixes included in this patch:
  • Fixed remaining issues preventing some players from achieving 100% completion.
  • Fixed collectible statistics in the UI being incorrect for some users.
  • Changes related to Steam Input:
    • It now defaults to a new setting 'Auto' which automatically turns On or Off Steam Input depending on whether a controller is enabled for use by Steam in the Steam settings.
    • When using Steam Input the game will now show appropriate icons for all supported controller types, just like when using native input.
  • Fixing some visual artifacts that rarely occurred when using SSCS.
  • Fixed a problem that caused Dolby Atmos to not activate correctly on certain PC setups.
  • Many smaller stability and functionality fixes."

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Sorry if it's been asked and answered, but it's driving me crazy.

What's the device on Lara's shirt?

JoKN9U6.jpg

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Finished my playthrough last night. As a whole, there were elements i enjoyed and elements i disliked.

What i enjoyed was the stealth and some of the puzzles. The world was decent, some of the areas felt full and more alive with plenty to do in terms of collecting and side missions. Graphically, it was great. Loved the audio, enough that it warrented use of mt headphones to immerse myself completly. Use of the bow was more improved with the stealth, as you could take out someone in the distance and cause the guards to break up into singles.

What i disliked was the story. It felt weak in comparison to Rise and TR, compared to the original game's story (which felt more like what this should have been). Some elements like the skills tree and the mud/wall hiding felt underused a lot. And once you got past the point of no return, it felt off. The final boss was disapointing to say the least.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone having sound issues with surround? It feels static. Lara's voice usually comes from the center speaker, but other characters always seem to come from the surround right despite the camera placement. My speakers are setup correctly. Other games the sound movies depending on the camera but not with this. Haven't been able to find anything online.

This is on PS4, dynamic range is set to high.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I haven't finished the game yet, but when I do I'm thinking about deleting it, even though my copy came with the season pass. If they're just going to add challenge tombs, I don't know if I want to keep the game installed when I'm going to be needing to free up space.

Does anyone else feel this way?

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I haven't finished the game yet, but when I do I'm thinking about deleting it, even though my copy came with the season pass. If they're just going to add challenge tombs, I don't know if I want to keep the game installed when I'm going to be needing to free up space.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I mean you can just reinstall when all the dlc content is release and go through it in one go. I don't have space constraints, but might hhold off on playing till everything's out.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
nice

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Update Version 1.06 Patch Notes For PS4 And Xbox One
  • Fixed an issue where reloading just as you opened a locked strongbox would not make it count towards 100% completion.
  • Fixed a progression blocker in a Peruvian Jungle crypt, causing a stone pillar to disappear.
  • Fixed a progression blocker in Trial of the Eagle.
  • Fixed a progression blocker in the Mission of San Juan library.
  • Fixed a progression blocker in Lara's dream.
  • Fixed an issue where Unuratu would become invisible during the prison escape.
  • Fixed an issue where jaguars would freeze in place.
  • Improvements to enemy AI perception.
  • Fixed an issue on PS4 where some sounds would not be consistent with Lara's position and the camera's perspective.