• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Finished this on PC the other night. Really had a good time. Feel I liked Rise the best but this was good also. Was refreshing to see Lara apex predator.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Fixed an issue where Unuratu would become invisible during the prison escape.
This happened to me LMAO

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I'm eyeing the Season Pass since it's 34% off on Steam until tomorrow.

Have Squenix or Eidos stated how long/big the Challenge Tombs approximately will be? If they are like an hour each I think it could be a pretty good deal for 20 bucks.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I started the game over since they fixed the surround sound bug and it's an entirely different game now. I can actually understand what the hell is going on since I can hear the conversations. The environmental sounds are great also.

I had played up through the first segment with broken audio and was considering just abandoning the game.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Guys, Microsoft sent me a code for the White Shadow Band Resource Pack, if anyone wants it let me know.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Grabbed this on sale over at BB for $36 with GCU yesterday on PS4, still had a steelbook copy which was nice. I almost got the Xbox version, have both a Pro and One X, but I went with the Pro since it had better performance and the resolution difference isn't hugely dramatic.

Played for a few hours yesterday and I can certainly feel the lack of combat. I was mentally getting ready for combat encounters as I moved through the emvironment based on the flow of the past two games, but they just don't happen. Any chance they add some DLC that's more combat focused? I am enjoying it a lot though, its a beautiful game and I'm excited to see where this goes.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man got this from Gamefly and while I am impressed with some of the visuals, this game is peak dumb. The acting, the plot, the way it jumps around from location to location without any kind of sense. It's like they took the worst parts from the first 3 Uncharted games and made it even dumber.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man got this from Gamefly and while I am impressed with some of the visuals, this game is peak dumb. The acting, the plot, the way it jumps around from location to location without any kind of sense. It's like they took the worst parts from the first 3 Uncharted games and made it even dumber.
Yeah there's a part in the game after this really dramatic scene and they just like......jump to another location and it's really jarring. My friend and I just laughed as it happened.

Also I guess I should mention that I beat the game last Friday. It's kind of sad to see how underwhelming this reboot got with each entry. TR13 probably wasn't a 'true' TR game but it was the most enjoyable out of the three to me. It seemed...more self-aware about how ridiculous it was while the other took themselves so seriously. Also despite all the talk of Lara finally becoming the 'Tomb Raider' it didn't feel like it ever actually happened.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah there's a part in the game after this really dramatic scene and they just like......jump to another location and it's really jarring. My friend and I just laughed as it happened.

Also I guess I should mention that I beat the game last Friday. It's kind of sad to see how underwhelming this reboot got with each entry. TR13 probably wasn't a 'true' TR game but it was the most enjoyable out of the three to me. It seemed...more self-aware about how ridiculous it was while the other took themselves so seriously. Also despite all the talk of Lara finally becoming the 'Tomb Raider' it didn't feel like it ever actually happened.

I mean you literally see a main character die one moment and then all of the sudden while the apocalypse is on it's way go somewhere else. The pacing of this game is truly bad. I know game development is challenging but whoever the writer or director of this game let this shit go way off the rails. The sequence with her getting out of flaming water is supposed to be badass but it honestly makes Lara Croft look and seem like the bad guy in a horror movie.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you literally see a main character die one moment and then all of the sudden while the apocalypse is on it's way go somewhere else. The pacing of this game is truly bad. I know game development is challenging but whoever the writer or director of this game let this shit go way off the rails. The sequence with her getting out of flaming water is supposed to be badass but it honestly makes Lara Croft look and seem like the bad guy in a horror movie.
Yep, we're talking about the same part lol. Also a lot of villages get destroyed and it's totally glossed over too. And yes, the scene of her getting out of the water with the flames looked cool in the trailers but it's really dumb in context. The whole game is dumb tbh.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's one of the main reasons Uncharted was getting really boring. How it really seems like they designed set pieces, tech, and locations before writing the actual story. But even Uncharted at it's peak dumbness never went this far. Last of Us they are actually telling a very well written and acted story. I don't even think I am going to bother with what they do next. The only thing I really really enjoy are the optional challenge rooms. Puzzle design in those is on par or better than what Naughty Dog does.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I want to try one of the modern TR games. Which one has the most platforming / is the least story-heavy? The first one (2013) is really cheap right now, but I'm not sure :x

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to try one of the modern TR games. Which one has the most platforming / is the least story-heavy? The first one (2013) is really cheap right now, but I'm not sure :x
I mean....they're all story heavy? That's kind of what their main selling point was - the problem is that the writing is bad. TR13 isn't really a 'TR' game aka platforming and stuff isn't really the focus; Lara surviving the island is. Rise and Shadow have more tombs / platforming but it's not like the old games so it might not satisfy you depending on what you're looking for. Those two also take their stories really, really, really seriously. Looking back, I find TR13 the most fun even if it's not really what a TR game is supposed to be. I had to force myself to finish the other two despite them having strong starts.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
The only one that isn't a snooze fest is TR2013. While they say it's more story focused, the main reason why it's fun is the level design (which is ace), platforming and combat... The story is intriguing at first but gets obviously dumber and dumber as it goes.
TR2013 has some of the best level designs I've seen in a 3rd person action game... Not in terms of visuals or art, just purely gameplay focused.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I recently picked up SotTR again after playing only for roughly five hours with mous and keyboard. I wanted to play it with a gamepad (Xbox One) but what the hell is wrong with these controls? First of all, it seems there is a lot input lag and deadzone (even with v-sync disabled, 60fps). Then the sensitivity is far to low as is the acceleration. I have the sensitivity all the way up but I'd rather want to the speed of the reticle after the acceleration. And there's an odd thing: if you circle around the stick just once you're immediately up to full speed, whereas keep holding it in one direction takes much longer to reach maximum speed. This is so weird.

I'm glad there isn't much combat, because I like the smooth gamepad controls to control Lara. But shooting is definitely not fun with the gamepad. Hell, even RDR2 is more fun in that regard ;/ And while remembering hearing from people similar issues about RotTR, I'm surprised that this is still an issues despite being made by different developers. I wish I had more control options in this game.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
About to play this new challenge tomb they added to Shadow Of The Tomb Raider. If they made this lava-based just so they could add a new gruesome Lara Croft death animation, I'm going to be upset.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting crashes in the main game now when looking at the side missions tab of the map on PC, looks like a widespread problem, at least for DLC owners.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Bought the season pass on PS4, got all the messages about the content I unlocked and the damn challenge tomb won't load at all. I select Forge of Destiny, get a Connecting message, and then a message that says "This game session no longer exists."

Edit: Seems to be a thing about this on Twitter. I am doing the new side quest in game though which leads to the Forge I believe. You just can't access the content though from the main menu and try to run the different modes with it. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon for everyone.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

I replayed TR13 before playing this over a month ago and I'd say it's the worst one in terms of writing. Just sheer grimdark with Croft getting constantly physically abused. At the very least the other two toned it down somewhat even if the writing is mostly garbage with some average moments - ie any interaction between Lara and Jonah.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this is 50% off right now on PSN.

I played and loved the first game and have the 2nd one waiting on backlog for December. Is this worth picking up for 30 now or should I wait and see if the price goes down more?

Kind of a really fast price decrease on a game this new.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Checked out Forge DLC. The narrative parts are brief and the tomb, while it looks great, isn't much grander than any other tomb in the game. The co-op feature is cool but what's available to play is too brief to make it worth matching up for. Also includes a score attack and speedrun mode. This seems to be one of many tombs forthcoming that could eventually add up to a nice suite of co-op content, but as a standalone piece it's very bare.

Saw this is 50% off right now on PSN.

I played and loved the first game and have the 2nd one waiting on backlog for December. Is this worth picking up for 30 now or should I wait and see if the price goes down more?

Kind of a really fast price decrease on a game this new.
Wait for holiday deals or better, wait until after you finish Rise. $30 is more than fair for Shadow but it is much slower and much less combat focused than the first reboot so I wouldn't say it's a guaranteed like.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Forge is a solid tomb in the vein of the ones from the main game, but not much more. What little they surrounded the two linear tomb segments with is pretty blah too.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
a word to anyone considering grabbing this while on sale:

i did. &, after a few hours, i can honestly say i haven't played a game with this level of horribly awful writing (story/dialog) since playing the original resident evil trilogy, which i loved it for, btw. but not so much this. if you, like myself, figured it was friggin' impossible for some to write a worse tomb raider game than rhianna pratchett, you, like myself, would be dead wrong...

i don't want to spoil anything, but i'll only mention this: early on, lara ends up confronting the story's main bad guy. &, when he asks her for something, she, while lying, actually pouts at him (in defiance?). i'm dead serious - she pouts at him! lara croft, high priestess of video gaming, pouts at the villain!...

smh. you've been warned :) ...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

i did. &, after a few hours, i can honestly say i haven't played a game with this level of horribly awful writing (story/dialog) since playing the original resident evil trilogy, which i loved it for, btw. but not so much this. if you, like myself, figured it was friggin' impossible for some to write a worse tomb raider game than rhianna pratchett, you, like myself, would be dead wrong...

i don't want to spoil anything, but i'll only mention this: early on, lara ends up confronting the story's main bad guy. &, when he asks her for something, she, while lying, actually pouts at him (in defiance?). i'm dead serious - she pouts at him! lara croft, high priestess of video gaming, pouts at the villain!...

Poor writing is basically a staple for this franchise.

Oct 27, 2017

"Lara croft, high priestess of video gaming" ? Come on now, what is this supposed to mean?

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
"Lara croft, high priestess of video gaming" ? Come on now, what is this supposed to mean?

not intended to be sarcastic. lara's as iconic a video game heroine as they come, a genuinely trail-blazing character. i'd already been discouraged by the rebooted version in the previous 2 outings. now, seeing her reduced to pouting? pretty much floored me :) ...

Last edited:

Deleted member 15497

Oct 27, 2017
So how do I access the DLC?
When I click Challenge Tombs on the main menu it tells me to buy the season pass for 7 tombs (I've already bought it) and the 9 I can replay when I've finished the game (I already have)
On STEAM

Edit: Opting ouot the beta fixed it

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I have to quote myself here, because I found the solution to the ridiculous high dead zone on PC: use PS4 (Pro) controller instead of Xbox One. No kidding. I'm still not satisfied with the acceleration in the game, but the PS4 pad give me zero dead zone. I tested the PS4 version as well, and it has the same dead zone as the PC version with the Xbox One pad. Super weird. Nevertheless, a bit more enjoyable now.

I recently picked up SotTR again after playing only for roughly five hours with mous and keyboard. I wanted to play it with a gamepad (Xbox One) but what the hell is wrong with these controls? First of all, it seems there is a lot input lag and deadzone (even with v-sync disabled, 60fps). Then the sensitivity is far to low as is the acceleration. I have the sensitivity all the way up but I'd rather want to the speed of the reticle after the acceleration. And there's an odd thing: if you circle around the stick just once you're immediately up to full speed, whereas keep holding it in one direction takes much longer to reach maximum speed. This is so weird.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Started playing this yesterday and I'm quite enjoying it. I'm also blown away by how great it looks, playing it on the Pro with the "High Framerate" mode and it's one of the most impressive games I've seen so far on the machine.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I beat it today. The end of the game was kind of rough, but I'd also returned to it after playing other games including RDR2.

It's definitely not up to par with the previous two but it's still quite good most of the time.

I'm not crazy about puzzles and the challenge tombs. I respect them but don't get excited about them in this game. Yet I stupidly paid for the extra content pass.

I feel done with the game but do have The Forge installed. Is it any good? Does it stand out? Is there much story?

I'm debating deleting the game so I won't have to keep updating it or do any more puzzles but worry I'll regret it.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I feel done with the game
Eh, reading above doesn't look great. Tombs should be in the game.
My feelings as well. I haven't even completed all tombs in the base game because, although I usually like metroidvania games, had zero interest in tracking back.

I miss finding usuable things like ammo or medpacks. You get a shit-ton of herbs to heal you, enemy encounters are rare but when they occur, ammo is never the problem. The unlockable perks? What for? I only spent five skill points or so. Combat skills are irrelevant, survival skills are irrelevant because there is no survival in this game. Reduced fall damage? Lara can fall from ten meters without breaking a bone and I can't remember a single moment where I could have needed it, maybe something like a well-hidden place you can only reach if you survive that fall or something like this.

So many features in this game are under-utilised. I don't know with what DLC they could come to attract my interest again. I had fun with the game, but yeah, I feel done with it.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I deleted the game and didn't bother with The Forge. I was done with it.

Maybe I'll reinstall it after they've all come out and play them all, but I honestly don't know.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is it me or hdr is not so hot here? Or should I do something specific with the brightest for this game? I'm on base ps4

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
This game runs really well on my mid-low end PC. Pretty stunned at the overall optimization, seems even better than Rise in that regard.

I'm about 3 hours in so far and it feels pretty choppily paced. There is some great facial animation and performances that try their darnedest to elevate a pretty mediocre script. The flashback, in particular, stuck out like a sore thumb as some fan service that didn't really service the overall narrative. Young Lara is also really oddly proportioned. She's shorter than a post of wood? But she can still leap and bound like she has the leg span of a flamingo? It's fine.

It's early hours yet, but I can't shake the feeling that this game is a sort of compromise between old-school Tomb Raider design and the new linear shooty Tomb Raider, and it doesn't exactly navigate those two design schemes elegantly.

As per usual, the actual set dressing and graphics are top-notch, but the real standout for me so far has to be the soundtrack and audio design. The composers previously worked on projects like Papo y Yo and Inside, and so they seem perfectly matched the game's darker tone and danger. Exploring the jungle with a decent set of headphones is really a revelation. It's like a side of ASMR, with all the wildlife, swaying foliage, and just living sounds of the jungle.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Casual fan, played the first two games. Picked this up for $24 at Best Buy cyber Monday. Haven't opened it...worth it?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I finished the game yesterday, then started new game plus on Deadly Obsession. With no check points, I have to be a bit more mindful of jump timing. Had to redo the first puzzle section twice because I made two bad jumps.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just grabbed the XB1 version from Target during their recent sale. Really enjoyed the first two, so hopefully I like this one as well. Never cared much for the game's combat, so its under-emphasis sounds like it might be the right fit for me.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Casual fan, played the first two games. Picked this up for $24 at Best Buy cyber Monday. Haven't opened it...worth it?
If you enjoyed the previous games in the reboot series then I think you'll get some enjoyment out of it. It's just a bit of a mixed bag. I finished it last week and thought it looked real nice (played it on the Pro) and there are some cool sequences. Most of the upgrades felt unimportant though, at least for the story. It does feel like the game could have done with a few more months of development time.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i m happy to admit i was wrong. i ended up liking this more than rise of tomb raider. rise was better in few areas like combat ,laras charter model,laras personality ,etc.. but the setting of shadow makes it a more appealing game than rise.

DLC wise rise destroys shadow with baba yaga and stuff like that rather than pointless tomb challenges we are getting .

I didnt mind fewer combat encounters but i was prepared and didnt upgrade any of my combat skills at all. focused on other 2 since i knew from this forum it wont have much combat anyways.

the game was beautiful graphically running on ps4 pro .animations needed some more work though.it was even weaker than rise animation wise. but environment is beautiful nonetheless

It's a solid 8/10 game. would have been 9 if the DLCs were story based hehe.