• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will continue to happen as long as Eidos is behind the series. They want their assembly line franchise and force the chosen devs to pump out game after game with no real time to truly innovate or iterate on what they have until the games are so obviously compromised they can't any more. From all the stories that have leaked of Eidos' treatment of Core it happened back then, and now very likely that it's happened with Crystal Dynamics twice (even setting aside Eidos handing this game to another dev because god forbid the series get a few years breather while Crystal work on something else). As long as Eidos force every non-emergency reboot game to be pumped out on a 1-3 year cycle the series is always doomed.

Eh, I agree, but they have given Crystal enough time and resources, specially after Square-Enix buyout, maybe the talent (Or care) for this specific franchise don't reside there*. Still, EIDOS/SE Europe is at fault for badly managing the franchise the last two decades. They have doubled down on the same mistakes over and over, they are the ones calling the shots after all.

* And I'm sure EIDOS Montreal just took the workload for the latest entry rather than actively creating their own. Crystal already had laid out the route this game has.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still see posts to this day about being "burnt" that the reboot is more about marketing than actual gameplay, sis. I'm not talking out of my ass; the hate for this reboot is strangely loud, but not always for the reasons you'd think.
You are aware these reviews are by professional reviews and not sour platform warriors brah? But please don't let me interfere with your conspiracy crusade, I'm sure it would be a new metacritic record if only these petty reviews didn't hate TR because of prior timed exclusivity.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Oh for sure. It's also funny how a site on which a lot of people claim "review scores don't matter" and "game sites should drop scores", this game is getting put through the ringer for holding a ~80 metascore.
The forum isn't a monolith. The people who post in threads about why game review scores are mostly a net negative and whatnot likely arent the same people posting about how a 80% MC is trash

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The outrageous and irrational hate is stemming from three main outlets lol: the UC bias, the stigma from old fans towards reboot and finally, some spider-man fans that were hurt about that "we are not worried about spider-man" quote from Shadow's marketing team. There's also a good chance some people are still butthurt to this day about the Rise exclusivity deal.

I guess there is still some Rise vitriol there, it's a bit that's sad. You should just review the game without taking that in consideration. I mean 77 on PS4 ? That way too low in comparison to PC and Xbox, so the bias cannot be denied. Sad.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Game seems to be shaping up well. Less combat and more exploration is good to hear (ACG Review) and from some of the dialogue I heard, she sounds more like a nuanced human being and less like a cardboard cutout.

I guess they didn't fix the story and characters....
Shame

Yeah I'm honestly not expecting them to fix it if they didn't with Rise, which I felt was even worse than the first game.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wait does this game use prerendered cutscenes?
The cutscenes look incredible while gameplay sections look well below what i would expect lategen

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
You are aware these reviews are by official reviews and not sour platform warriors brah? But please don't let me interfere with your conspiracy crusade, I'm sure it would be a new metacritic record if only these petty reviews didn't hate TR because of prior timed exclusivity.

First off, I have not a SINGLE time in this thread (or anywhere) talked shit about a specific review of this game no matter what the score is- after all, they are all opinions really. What I'm talking about here is the fan-reactions and co-signatures to a game they have not played yet. No conspiracies; just observations.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Trying to decide if I should go back and play Rise before Shadow drops at the end of the week. I'm afraid I'll get burnt out or fatigued - any idea how long the game is? I've been able to beat the previous entries in 10-12 hours so I'm hoping for something around that length.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Based on some of the reviews I have read, there seems to be less combat and more just exploring, which is great. I loved the times in Rise where it was just Lara figuring out a puzzle or exploring and figuring out how to get somewhere. The combat when it was there was pretty good, but glad that in Shadow there is less combat and more exploring etc. That footage that the IGN Video Review showed looked incredible.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform warring. History of similar behaviour.
The PS4 score seems to be in line when compared to GOW and Spidey. Xbox and pc reviewers probably haven't played a decent game in a while.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
Wait does this game use prerendered cutscenes?
The cutscenes look incredible while gameplay sections look well below what i would expect lategen

I think in some cutscenes you can see Lara wearing different clothes which implies that like previously they are in-game! Although I would love to get confirmation from people that have played the game, as I'm not too sure.

Gonzalo

Oct 29, 2017
Anti fun reviews once again!!!

Let's face it here, most of these reviewers are only in it for the money.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
First off, I have not a SINGLE time in this thread (or anywhere) talked shit about a specific review of this game no matter what the score is- after all, they are all opinions really. What I'm talking about here is the fan-reactions and co-signatures to a game they have not played yet. No conspiracies; just observations.

Well considering it is "more of the same" it's not really hard to form an opinion. I personally enjoy the games so I look forward to picking it up in the inevitable Xmas sales.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
The Eurogamer one seems really honest about their feelings reggarding the game:

Care of a battered hand-me-down disc, Tomb Raider 2 is one of the very first games I remember playing that had something resembling character. Lara Croft was an unstoppable force, smirking in the face of danger and racing forward to the next challenge. She was beautiful and curvaceous, yes, and intelligent too. She was also a millionaire who could afford home gyms and butlers and walk-in freezers - she didn't need the money or the infamy that all these dusty old relics provided. That's why I loved her; she did it all and risked everything just for the thrill of the hunt, and had a damn good time while she did it.

That Lara was dead and buried in her tiny 90s sunglasses with 2013's Tomb Raider reboot, which cast Croft as a frightened and shaken ingenue thrust into horrific circumstances on the island of Yamatai, where she was forced to do whatever she could to survive. This chain of events supposedly started her down the path to becoming an iconic adventurer, but ever since that outing, I've been waiting for her to regain that thrill-seeking bravado that I fell in love with, which coincidentally happened to be the reason she's willing to put herself in any of these ridiculous life-threatening situations in the first place. After playing this, the third of the prequel trilogy and the first from Eidos Montreal, I'm sadly still waiting.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
...but...reviewers had?
....but....that's not my point? I'm talking about the fan reactions. Not the reviews themselves. It's pretty irrational for someone that didn't like 2013 and Rise to come into this thread, cosign one of the few negative reviews and shit-post about the game when they themselves have not played it yet. Now, you might say "but if I share the same opinion with the reviewer, chances are I will have the same opinion about this game too" to which I'll respond with multiple reviews from people that hated the two reboot entries but rated Shadow as one of their all-time favorite Tomb Raider game. Just don't troll, that's what I'm getting at.

Well considering it is "more of the same" it's not really hard to form an opinion. I personally enjoy the games so I look forward to picking it up in the inevitable Xmas sales.
See above, please. :)

Last edited:

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You responded to this comment (which if you look at the PS4 version metacritic site is totally wrong).
It seems the PlayStation sites and magazines are hating on the game. I call that Uncharted bias.
With your timed exclusivity theory drivel, how else am I suppose to interpret that?

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
If the lower scores are from PS supporting reviewers still mad about Rise does that mean the higher ones are from MS supporting ones bigging it up and ignoring faults because the last was exclusive for a year too?

Where does the conspiracy end.

Are we sure nobody from The Guardian is related to anyone from Core Design and they marked it down because all they wanted was that Angel of Darkness sequel. The Kurtis Trent poster on the wall a constant reminder of what could have been.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
I was going to get this and pick up Valkyroa Chronicles 4 later, but I may reverse the order now.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Has anyone checked whether those that played it on the One X (or the PS4 Pro, to a lesser extent) reviewed it any better than the ones playing on the base consoles? I'm interested to see whether the performance difference affects the scores as well.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Trying to decide if I should go back and play Rise before Shadow drops at the end of the week. I'm afraid I'll get burnt out or fatigued - any idea how long the game is? I've been able to beat the previous entries in 10-12 hours so I'm hoping for something around that length.
You could beat rise in around 10 hrs if u just focus on the story and play on adventurer

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
I scored the game a 4.5/5 in our review over at HeyPoorPlayer. Personally, I loved the updates to the stealth mechanics as well as the challenge tombs, which have plenty of visual variety and provide some great puzzles. While the story isn't Shakespeare, it's perfectly servicable and Jonah and Lara's chemistry is better than ever. Oh, and Paititi is massive and features a ton of well designed side quests to undertake.

That said, I enjoyed Shadow more than both of the previous games in the trilogy. My biggest gripe is that the story seems to wrap up just as things are getting really interesting.

You can find the full review here: https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2018/09/10/shadow-tomb-raider-review-xbox-one/

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a novel idea... make up your own mind and... determine if you want to buy the game, then... and only then... determine if YOU like it

This isn't complicated

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
It seems the PlayStation sites and magazines are hating on the game. I call that Uncharted bias.
Lmao
The outrageous and irrational hate is stemming from three main outlets lol: the UC bias, the stigma from old fans towards reboot and finally, some spider-man fans that were hurt about that "we are not worried about spider-man" quote from Shadow's marketing team. There's also a good chance some people are still butthurt to this day about the Rise exclusivity deal.
Hahahahahahaha

Christopher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Metacritic is 77. Xbox One Metacritic is 83. PC metacritic is 81. There isn't a incredible gap between any of these. So....what is the conspiracy theory here again?

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
This place should just nuke review threads. Such a great civil discussion to be had here behind the score arguments, claims of reviewer bias, and console fan-baby wars.

Sitting through the Spider-Man thread and now this is just a headache.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't think those publications shift the needle much, they have a low weighting I assume. IGN reviewed on Xbox and will have a high weighting and have it a 90. Probably explains a lot of the difference.

I don't think the weighting difference is that much, hence why metacritic and OpenCritic are generally only within a point of each other if not the same score. Here it's a bit of a different situation due to the platform skew, but there have been other games where the Xbox One version has scored notably higher, eg NBA 2K18 and Assassin's Creed Origins. I guess the discrepancy with SotTR is a combination of the Telegraph review, the Xbox centric sites and IGN's score.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you listening to your self ? Everybody is out to get this game lol .get a grip man

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
OK, so two random but super-important and super nit-pick questions for me:

* Do collectibles with audio require you to stay within the menu to listen to them? Or can you do the Bioshock and listen on the go?

* Is there a point in the game where Lara has to work her way across an entire level only to have Trinity enter at the very very end by blowing up a wall or rappelling down soldiers from helicopters? Because I'm starting to think that these Tombcharted/Unraider games are somehow required to do this by law.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Will wait for the GamePass version. There is zero time for this at the moment and it seems..... Like you aren't missing much here.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The big thing I'm yet to see anyone touch on is this...

Who paid off the PC reviewers? Which side of the conspiracy do those reviews fall on?

Were they paid off by the Xbox team to ensure the Xbox One is deemed the home of Tomb Raider, the best place to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

Or were they part of the Pro PlayStation initiative that is currently taking the Internet by storm? We're the scores artificially lowered to ensure Spiderman doesn't have his toes stepped on during his quest for Fall chart dominance? Or was it to protect Naughty Dog to ensure the Uncharted series remains the number one contemporary Tomb Raider experience? Not forgetting the final theory, which is the most sinister one, are Sony still salty over the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity and sought out to sabotage the reviews on all platforms other than Xbox?

I don't know guys, nothing seems clear to me.

Oct 28, 2017
This place should just nuke review threads. Such a great civil discussion to be had here behind the score arguments, claims of reviewer bias, and console fan-baby wars.

Sitting through the Spider-Man thread and now this is just a headache.
Indeed. I can't wait for the actual OT for the game gets made so some actual discussion about the game can be had.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess there is still some Rise vitriol there, it's a bit that's sad. You should just review the game without taking that in consideration. I mean 77 on PS4 ? That way too low in comparison to PC and Xbox, so the bias cannot be denied. Sad.
Is this post serious or sarcasm .I can't tell anymore in this thread