• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 26, 2018
Loved ACG's review who I trust a lot, he rates it a "Tentative Buy". His praise of the underwater sections alone make me want to play the game. The hub areas look really interesting and frankly I like the Tomb Raiding more than combat.

This game is a Day 1 buy for me.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Conspiracy theories? I guess I should repeat myself for the billionth time:

"Conspiracy theories? Tsk!"

*posts conspiracy theory*

ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u3.png

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Ok.. so despite the reviews that pull the ps4 version down for some reason, are there disparities between the two? Like, any reviews that did both versions?

And I thought this one was about her being like the predator or something like that, but has less combat now?

Anyway, even if so, Lara cant seem to get a break. Having that low of a score for the ps4 version will hurt it and she deserves better. Everytime a new Tomb Raider is released it gets mixed up in the wars. They somehow need to stop this from happening.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the culmination of how awkward this trilogy has been.

I am happy its over. Hopefully they take a fresh take on the next Tomb Raider game and for god sake recast Lara's voice actress or find a better voice director because that performance has been grating since 2013.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews seem encouraging, I never finished Rise though. Might start it again when I'm done with Spider-Man and pick this up when it's on sale in a few months, or being Square enix, half price in about 2 weeks. That's not a dig at them, Their games just always seem to be dirt cheap really quickly (at least in the UK)

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has become tiring and disrespectful at this point.

Far from it, actually:

The UC bias:
Oh Twitter is filled with those!
Lara: he-
"The UC bias" folks: trash. Drake would win. this is an awful series. Why play Lara when you have Chloe. People would only play TR because they don't have UC.

The stigma from old fans towards reboot:
Do you want me to post every TR community that has its fair share of "CORE games are better. Fuck Crystal Dynamics."
I'll give you one, feel free to browse at your leisure :)
Tomb Raider Forums

Spider-man fans that were hurt about that "we are not worried about spider-man" quote from Shadow's marketing team:
Look no more fam: we had our very own thread here. Take a look inside! Those 23902131 pages didn't come from nothing.

So you think those are the factors that contributed to the lower metacritic aggregate on the PS4?

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
It sounds like the culmination of how awkward this trilogy has been.

I am happy its over. Hopefully they take a fresh take on the next Tomb Raider game and for god sake recast Lara's voice actress or find a better voice director because that performance has been grating since 2013.
What's wrong with her voice? It has never been a problem for me, personally. First time I've seen this complaint so I'm curious.

Oct 27, 2017
EXACTLY. It's SO transparent. And when I mention it, I get one word responses with no substance to them or get accused of being a "conspiracy theorist" lmfao. It's so tired.

Maybe because you are taking a few trolls at face value and somehow coming to the conclusion that everyone is out to get the game, when in reality, it's a decent game that isn't greatest thing since sliced bread?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Reviews are better than I expected. The setting looks so much better than Rises too. Once I'm done with Spidey seems like a solid rental. Any reviews talk about playtime

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't understand why they keep making these games so dark. It's not even dark in a good way like Resident Evil 7 or The Last of Us but just utterly joyless. It's a shame because I love a lot of the games mechanics but the story and characters make it hard for me to really enjoy them. I've beat the first two but I might skip this one if it's more of the same.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
I'm confused by the reviews. Did they tone down the guns-blazing action aspect found in Rise or not? I saw a video review that says they did but then another review read like it's even more action-packed this time.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
"Conspiracy theories? Tsk!"

*posts conspiracy theory*

It's reality. I engage in TR discussions on a daily basis and I see those come up every now and then. So like??? What are you getting at exactly??

I think folks are congregating here because (i) we love negativity, (ii) proximity to other titles (Spider-Man/RDR2), (iii) the scores are divisive with some...fantastical hyperbole, and (iv) many are invested in Lara and while many like the "new" Lara, many do not.

I don't know if any of the above has any impact on the reviews themselves, but it certainly has an impact on the folks discussing the reviews over the past 28-29 pages.

I think you hit it right as to why this thread has spawned so may pages: people love negativity lol.

Ask yourself if being disrespected on the internet is worth making a scene and derailing the thread
Making a scene? so it's perfectly normal for someone (who's a non-Tomb Raider fan to begin with) to come to a review thread of a game they are not even interested in, then to quote one of the few negative reviews (when the majority is positive) and cosign it with some snarky one comment. But when I call out irrational hate (which is very well and alive) for this game and still respect the "valid hate" I am somehow making a scene and derailing? Okay.

Nov 30, 2017
This is an honest question because I dont know.

Why does the MC have a different score on PC/XB/PS4

I typically dont follow these things. Isnt it the same game all around?

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I was already planning on waiting for a sale but now I won't feel bad about it , glad to hear the gameplay is still solid though

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People who go "lul waypoint" should read the review because it's damn hardcore.

Is it political? Yes. Do I agree perfectly with her conclusions? Not exactly.

But that's the tip of the iceberg. This isn't a "screw the game, let's talk about politics" reviews. It's a fucking in-dept review that tackles the mechanics, pacing and structure of the game in detail and with great insight, and it puts the author on my radar as someone whose opinion I absolutely want to read in the future. As icing on the cake, you get a political reading of the game's story that is of course subjective but well argumented, eloquent and absolutely and completely rational.

If the quality of all Waypoint reviews was on this level, Waypoint would be the top website for reviews by miles. That review is quality.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

But that's the tip of the iceberg. This isn't a "screw the game, let's talk about politics" reviews. It's a fucking in-dept review that tackles the mechanics, pacing and structure of the game in detail and with great insight, and it puts the author on my radar as someone whose opinion I absolutely want to read in the future. As icing on the cake, you get a political reading of the game's story that is of course subjective but well argumented, eloquent and absolutely and completely rational.

If the quality of all Waypoint reviews was on this level, Waypoint would be the top website for reviews by miles. That review is quality.

Haven't read the Waypoint review yet but this sounds excellent. I love Waypoint. For things like this especially.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you not see the edit? It fully supports what I said. I thought it was clear that AdaWong was discussing fan/forum reception, but I guess not?

The edit changes nothing. The post was originally in agreement with another post knee deep in conspiracy theories.

I never thought that a slight metacritic score discrepancy would cause this level of bollox but here we are.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Does this one have a lame MP mode again? I enjoyed the others but thought the MP was utterly pointless. Same for UC and TLoU. :p

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The edit changes nothing. The post was originally in agreement with another post knee deep in conspiracy theories.

I never thought that a slight metacritic score discrepancy would cause this level of bollox but here we are.

Yeah, I have to disagree with this. I think she was pretty clear in voicing her criticisms of the community reaction.

I am playing the game and I like it a lot more than the last one!

Any word on the ray tracing stuff?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is Mass Effect Andromeda bad.
Well, thankfully that's an NPC that's part of an optional side quest, something most games don't give a lot of attention to due to other priorities (like higher tier NPCs).
There are games out there with terrible acting and facional animation for prominent characters.

All of the reboot games have had great facial animation for their time.

Jan 15, 2018
Glad to see Edios Montreal seems to have made good on their promise to make the game more puzzle and exploration focused.

This could end up being my favorite of the three if they really nail the puzzles.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why they keep making these games so dark. It's not even dark in a good way like Resident Evil 7 or The Last of Us but just utterly joyless. It's a shame because I love a lot of the games mechanics but the story and characters make it hard for me to really enjoy them. I've beat the first two but I might skip this one if it's more of the same.
I'm a fan of the reboot but this is so true. The funny thing is that as dark as TLOU gets, it actually has a hell of a lot more levity than either of the Tomb Raider games.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
So you think those are the factors that contributed to the lower metacritic aggregate on the PS4?

Well does the Metacritic aggregate take into account fan reactions?

Maybe because you are taking a few trolls at face value and somehow coming to the conclusion that everyone is out to get the game, when in reality, it's a decent game that isn't greatest thing since sliced bread?
The part where I'm perfectly falling for troll bait: that's true tbh. However, I'm not crazy and I'm not talking out of my ass when I say this series has some pretty dedicated hate by some groups.

I should just stop though, I felt like I should call it out because too much negativity can seriously hinder other fans'/people's genuine hype for the game. I dislike seeing those people get burnt by the time they get to play the game because subconsciously, in the back of their mind, those drive-by shitposts might allude to "oh, a lot of people have played this game and hated it. i guess it's a bad game and im gonna play it just because i got it" when in reality those people have never played the game, and probably won't ever. It's a psychology that I think some people can relate to, but I've done my fair share of posting here so I'll wait for the game to release and enjoy it for myself.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's "transparent" to be interested in the reviews for a game but not see any point in participating in a hype thread? Really? That sounds a lot like paranoia. I did participate in the recent hype thread, thoroughly enjoyed Rise on PS4 despite the ongoing issues with Lara as a character and the mediocre storytelling. I am both legitimately interested in and concerned about some of the things the reviews cite as problematic with the game.

The state of the art in single player, story driven games has been advancing over the years and it's unfortunate that the Tomb Raider series doesn't seem to be keeping up. It's also not shocking to see better reviews from those focused on a system that hasn't benefited from some of the better examples of single-player focused titles. No conspiracies required. I really do want to support some of the ideas exhibited here, especially distinct difficulty levels for combat, exploration, and puzzles. That's a fantastic step in the right direction others could learn from.

Will I buy it day one? Maybe. I'm still undecided, in part because the game is once again coming out in a busy period when I already have a backlog building. The publisher has a history of rapidly discounting the titles, so that's a consideration I'll balance against wanting to reward doing the right thing in other respects.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Have to disagree with you a bit there. It felt like the actual discussion about the gameplay was just kind of tacked on at the end. Sometimes it feels like Waypoint should have Dr. Nira Cain-N'Degeocello writing for them. I think it just feels a bit forced at times for some people. That said, it's interesting to have a different viewpoint out there.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, that Melonie Mac review sort of got me pumped. I'm tempering expectations even having really dug the exploration and puzzle tombs in Rise, but that positivity is encouraging. Her comment on the range of emotion in the performances from Lara in different situations (especially the rage segment) makes me happy.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, that Melonie Mac review sort of got me pumped. I'm tempering expectations even having really dug the exploration and puzzle tombs in Rise, but that positivity is encouraging. Her comment on the range of emotion in the performances from Lara in different situations (especially the rage segment) makes me happy.

Same, she seemed to really enjoy the changes from Rise to Shadow.