Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Review Thread (Read OP)

Rocco

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
What does that have to do with jumping all over somebody for something that innocuous? There was nothing in his comments that your or my wives, daughters, or even mothers would need defending from. It goes too far, almost every single time. And if my wife, daughter, or mother rated AOD above anything I'd have the same conversation with them because it would mean they'd lost their mind.
Exhibit A.

Gamer17

Oct 30, 2017
The visuals are amazing, best looking third person shooter on the market.
U4 /Lost legacy and assasin creed origins(and horizon If we consider it shooter) look better to me but it is a pretty game .much better than initial showing . They really need to work on animation especially the npc.

Last edited:

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I disagree with that assessment regardless of who it comes from, because I suffered through that game and would rather walk the pits of hell barefoot than do it again. I think it's okay to think something is terrible. Looking around here, everybody does, except now, because it's an opportunity to jump on somebody.

But like I said, I'll be playing the game in 30 minutes and then I'll be able to make my statement that holds the same weight as anybody else's. I'm not interested in getting into this nonsense aside from to say what I said, that making a target of well-meaning folks is a stupid game with stupid prizes.

Last edited:

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, this thread went places. Not sure if I’d rate it a 7.9 or an 8.1...

The scores are so different.

BoJack

Apr 4, 2018
Holy fuck, I legit can't believe that people attack to someone who called a female reviewer "woman", even after saying that his first language is not English and being sexist was never his intention, for fucking multiple times!

This is too much man, this is too much!

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just happened to be a woman. And i can't believe that i have to explain myself here about this.

I repeat for 10th time. I don't have a problem with this person. I have a problem with her review, with her score and with her statements that Season Pass will fix her problems and how she rated other TR games. I would do exactly the same thing if it was a man. It doesn't change a single thing and it never even crossed my mind. Wow.
I agree 100% with you Neo. Can't read the review since you have to register for the site to do so which im not going to do but did she really say that the "season pass will fix the problems she had with SOTTR"? Because if so, I would disregard her review or anyone's for that matter simply because how in the world is a season pass going to fix the problems she had in the base game? Especially when the season pass content is already on the game disc and just needs to be unlocked?

Since I can't read the review, what exactly were her problems with the game? I do find it weird that 9 out of 11 games, she gave an 8 or higher with Angel being the lowest with a 6 and now, it's shadow with a 4. The vast majority have given the game 7 or higher and since she seems to be a huge Tomb Raider fan, how does Shadow warrant a 4?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra
There is so much meta commentary between fans in this thread that it has lost sight of its original purpose as a review thread. Please get back on topic and discuss review scores. Thank you.

BlueBomberX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally satisfied with the reviews. An 8 on Opencritic is still a very solid title. Many are saying it's the best in the series, and that should be the main takeaway here. Even if it's scoring lower than it's predecessors, you're getting a better game that's moving the series in the right direction.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree that game reviews are pretty busted. You have a mixture of star system, out of 10, or out of 100. Some outlets see 5/10 as average... But most don't.

With films for example there's a widely used 4/5 star system. It's easier to gauge what a score actually represents.

But reviews are rarely "fair". They are generally subjective. But I don't really mind, I quite like scored reviews. I have more issue with, say, the Rotten Tomatoes system where a thoroughly average film can wind up with a very high fresh score. That to me doesn't do a good job of representing the quality of a film.

I also think it's kind of amusing that you don't think that a games average review score should be compared to other game reviews because it's not fair... But also insist that 80 is a great score. Reviews are intended to rank things relative to other things in the same field (ie; games). You're saying that 80 is great relative to what exactly? What an 80 represents in other fields? Ehhh

You can go with the approach that reviews aren't intended to rank things, and should really just be used to get a baseline on whether something is recommended or not. That's a valid approach, and many are moving away from handing out scores. But if that's the way you see it... Review scores shouldn't hold any weight with you at all. So the natural reaction would be 80 = generally positive reception. Not 80 = great scores!

All I'm really trying to say is that I think it's inaccurate to say this game has had a "great" critical reception, and some people are overselling it. For the record, I think that ultimately this game will be viewed as quite a bit better than the last 2 entries. But that doesn't mean it received great reviews.
80 is great when you look at the whole 0 to 100 scale. 5 or 50 should be average but again the whole system is fucked because of how it has been handled by both professionals and gamers. You're right that review scores don't hold any weight in my purchasing decisions. I'm no more concerned about my purchase of TR than I would be of any other game that has a higher score. I think it's crazy that an average score of 87 is considered amazing while an average score of 83 is merely just good. It highlights how flawed that system, and resulting thought process is.

Also I never said averages shouldn't be compared because it's not fair. I don't agree with them being compared because it's a pointless comparison due to varying factors. It doesn't draw an accurate conclusion and lacks proper context. Why bother comparing anything like that outside of measuring dicks?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
This game is looking good...

Don't fail me now Eidos and co.!

Seems like a synthesis of Rise and 2013 while supplying a somber response to its series-wide narrative dissonances... the angle at which Lara is viewed here will be interesting to judge, at least. If it's backed by the ripe action gameplay we've come to know then this could be a meaty SP time.

Last edited:

CastorKrieg

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
John/Dark1x said the average FPS in Performance mode on Pro is 51-52. I've seen the video, and it drops down to 41-42 sometimes, and goes up to 60 sometimes. Based on what I've seen, and how much the image quality is improved in the 1080p mode compared to Rise, I think I'll play the game exclusively in performance mode on Pro. With Rise, I used to switch between 4K mode when exploring, to performance mode when fighting (I found input lag to be pretty crippling in 30FPS modes in Rise, and from the sounds of it, Shadow is no different).
I played all of Rise in Performance Mode but since I have a 4k TV I am thinking this time of giving it a try in Resolution Mode, 30FPS be damned.

Just pre-ordered for Friday delivery - both me and my wife are huge fans of Lara Croft (we actually named our daughter after her, something that people picked up immediately in hospital lol), and we both love the new series - for me it is better than Uncharted except Lost Legacy.

GigiF

Dec 11, 2017
Someone mentioned above that half the tombs will be in DLC. Can anyone confirm how many come with the base game and how many in DLC?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
That telegraph review seems savage. Can't read it though because I don't have nor want an account. And except for GameSpot, those are the only outliers.

Can't wait to play it. Thinking of getting a proper HDR TV because I don't want to miss out HDR games anymore; my TV unfortunately don't have a 10bit panel and has no local dimming...

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Couldn't find OT, so I figured I'd ask here. Are there any kind of extra modes this time around? Like Expedition or Endurance mode from Rise, or maybe NG+? Just curious.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I like Angel of Darkness and y'all can @ me. Is it good? No. Is it surprisingly imaginative and creative at a time when the series needed it? Yes. Who crippled it? Not Core. It was Eidos. And it was distinctly different than other AAA games on the market at the time.

Mind you, it's not good and I don't want to play it today. Mostly because the beginning SUX so FUXing much. But I won't stand for this!

GigiF

Dec 11, 2017
I like Angel of Darkness and y'all can @ me. Is it good? No. Is it surprisingly imaginative and creative at a time when the series needed it? Yes. Who crippled it? Not Core. It was Eidos. And it was distinctly different than other AAA games on the market at the time.

Mind you, it's not good and I don't want to play it today. Mostly because the beginning SUX so FUXing much. But I won't stand for this!
The claim by the guys at Core was that the publishing guys at Eidos forced them to release the game before it was ready. It's not clear as to why it wasn't ready - I assume it was a mix of Eidos demanding features and mechanics and Core not developing within their means (this was a HUGE issue in those days for most AAA games - still is today for some, but back in the PS2 era, almost all AAA games promised more than the teams could deliver which is what resulted in such shameful crunch times for these big games).

Having said that, AoD was a travesty of a game. I've no idea how you managed to play it. It was shocking. It wasn't that it was a bad game, it was just that Lara controlled SO badly that the game was almost impossible to play.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute... a reviewer scored this game a 4 out of 10... and then said this could be fixed with DLC?

That’s literally the silliest statement I’ve read from a reviewer all year.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The claim by the guys at Core was that the publishing guys at Eidos forced them to release the game before it was ready. It's not clear as to why it wasn't ready - I assume it was a mix of Eidos demanding features and mechanics and Core not developing within their means (this was a HUGE issue in those days for most AAA games - still is today for some, but back in the PS2 era, almost all AAA games promised more than the teams could deliver which is what resulted in such shameful crunch times for these big games).

Having said that, AoD was a travesty of a game. I've no idea how you managed to play it. It was shocking. It wasn't that it was a bad game, it was just that Lara controlled SO badly that the game was almost impossible to play.
I think she controlled relatively similarly to how she controlled in the other games. I’d say the biggest change—and it’s meaningful— is that the jump has a less palpable delay to it. It’s much harder to gauge. Feels more like input lag.

Let me know when we get a AAA game that lets you walk around seedy slums and talk to French whores!

Oct 28, 2017

Angel of Darkness is NOT my least favourite Tomb Raider game, and I'd take it over Legend any day of the week. Legend was the game where Tomb Raider turned in to something else entirely, almost to the point it wasn't even the same genre. AOD has some good ideas and the story is straight up the best in the series.

Some AOD fans are weird though. I was around on Tombraiderforums back in the day and there was a Kurtis Trent appreciation thread that had lots of shirtless Kurtis pics.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The nuance being that the DLC actually comes with a lot of content like new tombs and so.
A game that scores a 4 out of 10 is a game that has fundamental problems.

If such a game could actually be fixed by DLC then the damned DLC shouldn’t be DLC to begin with - it should be a free patch.

The absurdity here is obvious. “Thanks for buying our 4 out of 10 game, and for supporting us! Please know that we can make our game an 8 out of 10 for you... but you’re going to have to pay for it by purchasing DLC. Again, thanks for supporting us!”

Any reviewer who supports such an anti-consumer policy clearly does not have their readership’s interest in mind.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Angel of Darkness is NOT my least favourite Tomb Raider game, and I'd take it over Legend any day of the week. Legend was the game where Tomb Raider turned in to something else entirely, almost to the point it wasn't even the same genre. AOD has some good ideas and the story is straight up the best in the series.

Some AOD fans are weird though. I was around on Tombraiderforums back in the day and there was a Kurtis Trent appreciation thread that had lots of shirtless Kurtis pics.
Lol kurtis fans.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
A game that scores a 4 out of 10 is a game that has fundamental problems.

If such a game could actually be fixed by DLC then the damned DLC shouldn’t be DLC to begin with - it should be a free patch.

The absurdity here is obvious. “Thanks for buying our 4 out of 10 game, and for supporting us! Please know that we can make our game an 8 out of 10 for you... but you’re going to have to pay for it by purchasing DLC. Again, thanks for supporting us!”

Any reviewer who supports such an anti-consumer policy clearly does not have their readership’s interest in mind.
She obviously doesn't support the policy since she scored it 4/10, thus she's rating the main game for what it is. Supporting the policy would have been to give it a better rating because of the DLC: Stating that the DLC is actually good it's not such a bad thing. You practically make an informed decision, nobody is forcing you to buy the game nor the DLC.

The obvious logic here is that the whole content would have been in the main game the total experience might have been better.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope that now that Freedom = $1.05 and NeoRaider have clarified their comments, we can all just move on and get back to arguing about why the PS4 version got scored lower. Wait, no, best not do that either.

Has any 'third game in a franchise from a different studio' ever been the best received? I mean, Eidos Montreal have a bit of history here with Human Revolution (which not as well received as the original Deus Ex was really bloody good). They always feel a bit weird to me. Like, a cover version. Taking an engine and tried and tested formula and riffing on it a bit.
Before the game release I was wondering if Eidos Montreal could implement the same level of procedural animation as Crystal Dynamics did with Rise. I thought that was really well done in Rise, and added a lot to the ambience of the game. Theyve been working with CD on this so hopefully some their animation work has carried over.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

ghostcrew

Spooky
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

From my completely anecdotal experience, I think Core were probably tired of Tomb Raider by the time Angel of Darkness came round despite it being their absolute bread and butter.

I visited Core Design when they were developing Angel and got to excitedly play an early - and super crashy - demo. I remember the first thing I asked someone when I got in. "So how's the new game?!". The reply was simply "*shrug* it's a Tomb Raider game".

The nonchalent attitude was so surprising to me that it's stuck with me ever since. I don't think they meant it totally brutally. It was one person who worked on one specific part of the game (although, to be fair, they were in a super important senior role). They were clearly tired. But still, 'it's a Tomb Raider game' says a lot.

Had an amazing day anyway. The offices were amazing. RIP Core.

plagiarize

Untethered once more
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
From my completely anecdotal experience, I think Core were probably tired of Tomb Raider by the time Angel of Darkness came round despite it being their absolute bread and butter.

I visited Core Design when they were developing Angel and got to excitedly play an early - and super crashy - demo. I remember the first thing I asked someone when I got in. "So how's the new game?!". The reply was simply "*shrug* it's a Tomb Raider game".

The nonchalent attitude was so surprising to me that it's stuck with me ever since. I don't think they meant it totally brutally. It was one person who worked on one specific part of the game (although, to be fair, they were in a super important senior role). They were clearly tired. But still, 'it's a Tomb Raider game' says a lot.

Had an amazing day anyway. The offices were amazing. RIP Core.
Growing up in Derby, it was hard not to be proud of Core and to a lesser degree Eurocom. 2010 was a sad year for game developers in Derby.

There's still a bit of pride in seeing Lara continue to thrive.

plagiarize

Untethered once more
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Derby crew represent *internet high five*

You know they named a new street here Lara Croft Way?
Yup. Followed that whole thing with some interest, and paid it a visit when I was visiting England next.

I'm really struggling to convince myself not to buy this at launch, even though my PC upgrade is only a couple of weeks away, and even though I haven't finished Spider-Man.