• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The game is about a white girl raiding indigenous cultures for treasures, however "honorable" her intentions, and the developers themselves brought up that talking point in interviews.

So what is "lmao" about this?
Shhh...game reviews aren't supposed to use a cultural lens or criticize story beyond basic plot

I hope the sarcasm was obvious

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of the reviews talked about how this game handles collectibles? Because one of the standout things I hated about Rise was the ridiculous amount of stuff there was to collect. It was everything I hate about collectibles in open world games.
Well, according to the Waypoint review:
Lara loves collecting. There are 336 collectables, and I imagine the DLC's seven new Challenge Tombs will only add more.
So yeah.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
Look, lets be honest here. There is not a single Tomb Raider game with a good story. The closest is Angel of Darkness. I suppose second to that would be The Last Revelation.

The positive of the PS1 games compared to the games from Legend onwards in terms of story is simply that the PS1 games didn't have any kind of focus on it. In the original TR games you would often go hours in between cutscenes.

I would be happy if TR would have good characters.

It scored a littlebit lower than I expected. I will buy in a sale, but from the first showing SotTR seemed suspicious to my eyes.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I take reviews with a pinch of salt these days, as I tend to know what I enjoy playing after many years of gaming. I know I will get enjoyment of playing this game as it's been 6 months since the last AAA has taken my fancy on PC.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The difference is 6 points (77 vs 83)

Whoops, thought you'd typed 6 points not 0.6. Beg your pardon. Taking just those three reviews from each, one has an average of 92, the other 85. I'd have assumed they'd have had a bigger impact on the review aggregate.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
116238.jpg
LOL

Read them, people. There are big improvements that people have been asking for since the reboot that's finally been fleshed out!

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
There is no Uncharted bias unless you think it carries over to reviews and the rest of the console install base as Uncharted sell and review better than TR. I'll stop being passive aggressive as soon as you stop being condescending and calling me "sis". You're right about one thing though, I don't engage with the TR community if I can help it. Next time don't reply and back up people claiming bias in the press, it's pathetic.

WHAT?! You literally called me "brah" just a few posts ago.
You are aware these reviews are by professional reviews and not sour platform warriors brah? But please don't let me interfere with your conspiracy crusade, I'm sure it would be a new metacritic record if only these petty reviews didn't hate TR because of prior timed exclusivity.
Calling you "sis" is condescending but "brah" is considered not? Hmm...
EagerShamefulArgusfish-small.gif

Also, I would like to kindly ask you to not tell me what to do "next time" for something I apologized for; that was never my point. If you think it's "pathetic", then go ahead and think it; it's obvious that we're in disagreement and we'll never see eye-to-eye regarding this, so let's drop it before it gets too problematic (even though it kinda already did, "brah").

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
CD Projekt Red is seen as one of the best developers out there, and their most praised game had an entire area of the game, where part of the main quest takes place, become borderline unplayable due to awful framerate issues that took not just a day one patch to fix, but quite a few patches after that. God of War, easily this year's most praised game, had a day one patch that literally changed things like difficulty balance and interface.
Software, thankfully, is fluid. The devs' intended vision can be brought to reality after it's gone gold, which otherwise would not happen in the past. The people who don't have an internet connection to download the patch will unfortunately play a slightly jankier game, but we're not talking about bugs that bar progression, causes frustration or constant crashes. The game is there and it's feature complete.
I would totally agree with you except I complained a lot about TW3 on the old forum and with regards to God Of War, I didn't come across videos similar to the ones posted on here. If I did, I would have complained....

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to hear it's more like the older games. It's like they forget what made Tomb Raider Tomb Raider.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
WHAT?! You literally called me "brah" just a few posts ago.

Calling you "sis" is condescending but "brah" is considered not? Hmm...
EagerShamefulArgusfish-small.gif

Also, I would like to kindly ask you to not tell me what to do "next time" for something I apologized for; that was never my point. If you think it's "pathetic", then go ahead and think it; it's obvious that we're in disagreement and we'll never see eye-to-eye regarding this, so let's drop it before it gets too problematic (even though it kinda already did, "brah").
You didn't for a second wonder why I called you brah after you addressed me as sis, was that to hard to figure out. I though I was being pretty obvious, hell I even spelled it the most obnoxious way possible.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Will probably pick it up on the cheap in December. Doesn't sound different enough to warrant an earlier purchase.

I hope we won't have to wait too long for the next reboot, can't wait to see what a more ambitious studio can do with the franchise.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Conspiracy theories? I guess I should repeat myself for the billionth time:

Conspiracy theories:

The outrageous and irrational hate is stemming from three main outlets lol: the UC bias, the stigma from old fans towards reboot and finally, some spider-man fans that were hurt about that "we are not worried about spider-man" quote from Shadow's marketing team. There's also a good chance some people are still butthurt to this day about the Rise exclusivity deal.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played and completed Uncharted 4 earlier this year so I'm very curious to compare the two and their receptions

Cheryl-hate-watching-1024x562.jpg

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys...
Didn't imagine Tomb Raider giving rise to this sort of ... emotions. Well, not after the whole temporary exclusivity ordeal.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'll play it at some point when it's $20-$30. I still havent played the last one despite loving the first reboot.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The outrageous and irrational hate is stemming from three main outlets lol: the UC bias, the stigma from old fans towards reboot and finally, some spider-man fans that were hurt about that "we are not worried about spider-man" quote from Shadow's marketing team. There's also a good chance some people are still butthurt to this day about the Rise exclusivity deal.

So you're basically saying that the Telegraph, The Guardian, Digital Spy and the other outlets that gave Tomb Raider a rating between 4/10 and 6/10 are also fanboys or how do these scores come about?

Btw the PS4 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider has a metascore of 88. Many PlayStation centric sites including Playstation Official Magazine Australia, Playstation Official Magazine UK, PSX-Sense.nl and Playstation Universe rated the game with 9/10. I don't see any outrageous and irrational hate towards Tomb Raider. Maybe there's just more to criticize in Shadow? I don't understand why you would want to make this a Console War thing.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoops, thought you'd typed 6 points not 0.6. Beg your pardon. Taking just those three reviews from each, one has an average of 92, the other 85. I'd have assumed they'd have had a bigger impact on the review aggregate.

But you shouldn't take just those three vs three reviews, there are 35 other reviews to consider.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Will probably pick it up on the cheap in December. Doesn't sound different enough to warrant an earlier purchase.

I hope we won't have to wait too long for the next reboot, can't wait to see what a more ambitious studio can do with the franchise.

Yep same here, reviews are good but il wait for the xmas price cut heh. Back to Spidey. Go web go!

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Given the decent but not great scores and the fact that I've just finished Shenmue1&2 and started Spiderman (with DQXI and Yakuza Kiwami 2 in queue) I think I'm going to skip this at full price, I'll play it in late November or December.
Btw I'm happy that this trilogy is finally over. I'd like Eidos Montreal to get a chance at doing their own reboot with different gameplay and story, possibily bringing full grown Lara back.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
This has become tiring and disrespectful at this point.

Conspiracy theories:

Far from it, actually:

The UC bias:
Oh Twitter is filled with those!
Lara: he-
"The UC bias" folks: trash. Drake would win. this is an awful series. Why play Lara when you have Chloe. People would only play TR because they don't have UC.

The stigma from old fans towards reboot:
Do you want me to post every TR community that has its fair share of "CORE games are better. Fuck Crystal Dynamics."
I'll give you one, feel free to browse at your leisure :)
Tomb Raider Forums

Spider-man fans that were hurt about that "we are not worried about spider-man" quote from Shadow's marketing team:
Look no more fam: we had our very own thread here. Take a look inside! Those 23902131 pages didn't come from nothing.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Flop haters out in full force as usual

The way queen Lara has the haters SEETHING still 5 years after the reboot

IMPACT!
HDmUYbb.gif

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
So, does anyone want to talk about the reviews and the game or are we just gonna dance by the fire?
The reviews themselves aren't bad. There's a lot of talk about aging animations/jump machanics, some issues with the platforming that have never been fixed, and a continuation of Lara's odd personality or lack there of. The rest of the game seems like a big improvement for actual tomb raiding and reviewers are liking the new setting. Larger hubs, improvements to puzzles.

One common fault I've seen brought up in a couple reviews though is apparently the new stealth focus doesn't mesh too well with TR's combat which is better tailored to mid range firefights.

It's not perfect but this game is bringing a lot of good changes for exploring and raiding.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
So you're basically saying that the Telegraph, The Guardian, Digital Spy and the other outlets that gave Tomb Raider a rating between 4/10 and 6/10 are also fanboys or how do these scores come about?

Btw the PS4 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider has a metascore of 88. Many PlayStation centric sites including Playstation Official Magazine Australia, Playstation Official Magazine UK, PSX-Sense.nl and Playstation Universe rated the game with 9/10. I don't see any outrageous and irrational hate towards Tomb Raider. Maybe there's just more to criticize in Shadow? I don't understand why you would want to make this a Console War thing.

No I'm not, although I can see how it could be interpreted that way. I will go ahead and edit my post; you can see my explanations in the posts after. I was more talking about the fans and their reception. I respect the few negative reviews (the ones I read so far at least) just as much as the many more positive ones.

And for the record: I NEVER intended (or intend) to make this a console war thing, the things I stated are sadly still in-tact and alive as "reasons" to hate on the rebooted TR series by its detractors.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Eurogamer review hits home

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-10-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-review
Care of a battered hand-me-down disc, Tomb Raider 2 is one of the very first games I remember playing that had something resembling character. Lara Croft was an unstoppable force, smirking in the face of danger and racing forward to the next challenge. She was beautiful and curvaceous, yes, and intelligent too. She was also a millionaire who could afford home gyms and butlers and walk-in freezers - she didn't need the money or the infamy that all these dusty old relics provided. That's why I loved her; she did it all and risked everything just for the thrill of the hunt, and had a damn good time while she did it.
:')
Mine was Tomb Raider III

That Lara was dead and buried in her tiny 90s sunglasses with 2013's Tomb Raider reboot, which cast Croft as a frightened and shaken ingenue thrust into horrific circumstances on the island of Yamatai, where she was forced to do whatever she could to survive. This chain of events supposedly started her down the path to becoming an iconic adventurer, but ever since that outing, I've been waiting for her to regain that thrill-seeking bravado that I fell in love with, which coincidentally happened to be the reason she's willing to put herself in any of these ridiculous life-threatening situations in the first place. After playing this, the third of the prequel trilogy and the first from Eidos Montreal, I'm sadly still waiting.

But I'd give a ToD of 2000 or something :V
CutScene01-1.jpg

Tomb Raider drama was pure shlock, and it was amazing.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hate people seem to have for this game is pretty astounding. A lot of nonsensical and/or baseless reasoning too, such as the devs not having creative freedom with the reboot trilogy.

Regarding Eurogamer, sounds like they're letting nostalgia cloud their judgement.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
EXACTLY. It's SO transparent. And when I mention it, I get one word responses with no substance to them or get accused of being a "conspiracy theorist" lmfao. It's so tired.

I think folks are congregating here because (i) we love negativity, (ii) proximity to other titles (Spider-Man/RDR2), (iii) the scores are divisive with some...fantastical hyperbole, and (iv) many are invested in Lara and while many like the "new" Lara, many do not.

I don't know if any of the above has any impact on the reviews themselves, but it certainly has an impact on the folks discussing the reviews over the past 28-29 pages.