• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I was talking about what she said after the review tho. I wasn't talking about her review only. I was talking about her tweets and statements that she tweeted TODAY, few hours ago.

Am i not allowed to call woman a woman???

No, apparently you have to call a woman a man.

Think about what you have done and you have a CHOICE to correct it during future posts. The choice is entirely yours.

Seriously though, have we really come to the point where someone who apparently doesn't speak English as his first language is painted as sexist because he refers to a female writer as a woman? I agree that even his mentioning her gender in this context was unnecessary, but damn, some of the overreactions here are pretty comical.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is rocket science for you because you're missing my point. Review threads aren't about having positive or negative vibes, it's about discussing the reviews whether they're positive or negative. These aren't fanboy echo chambers

I mean, they shouldn't be but this is exactly what review threads are. Both here and everywhere else on the internet.

Metacritic has just become console war ammo at this point.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for a good old action adventure game. This is going to definitely scratch that itch. I've only watched a few clips, but man does it look graphically stunning. Can't wait to see the 4K/HDR mode.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Because the majority of participants are people most likely not even slightly interested in purchasing the game and are here to justify their dismissal by cosigning the negative reviews. Then on the other hand you have the people that are interested in the game and try to keep up the positivity, and that's a recipe for clashing arguments and back and forth/ganging up from either party.

You can buy the game and still acknowledge that it might have flaws. Or at least understand that people can have different opinions and a score doesn't make one's purchase less good.

So much positivity in attacking reviewers just because of a less favourable score too!

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
No, apparently you have to call a woman a man.

Think about what you have done and you have a CHOICE to correct it during future posts. The choice is entirely yours.

Seriously though, have we really come to the point where someone who apparently doesn't speak English as his first language is painted as sexist because he refers to a female writer as a woman? I agree that even his mentioning her gender in this context was unnecessary, but damn, some of the overreactions here are pretty comical.

I agree,c'mon guys... :P

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It just happened to be a woman. And i can't believe that i have to explain myself here about this.

I repeat for 10th time. I don't have a problem with this person. I have a problem with her review, with her score and with her statements that Season Pass will fix her problems and how she rated other TR games. I would do exactly the same thing if it was a man. It doesn't change a single thing and it never even crossed my mind. Wow

Edit: I swear i am never again making or visiting another Review thread here. There is just so much negativity and toxicity in these threads that i really regret making my first review thread.

Even tho. i think that i don't have anything to aplogize for, i am apologizing if i made anyone feel bad or something else with my posts, it wasn't my intention.

I believe you and I believe some people in here owe you the apology.

This community is incredibly toxic sometimes.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I also dont see the problem with neoraider post, you guys seem so defensive when it comes to genders, specially women..

I know right? I mean, some of us have wives, daughters and even mothers. How dare we take into account a decades old movement involving gender inequality and adjust our behavior accordingly.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Why was it a bad thing for NeoRaider to call the reviewer a woman when she is female? She's not male, and is indeed female. It's one or the other, and that's the proper term. It's not like he said her opinion was dumb because she's female, or anything like that (from what I saw).

Her score does seem odd if she gave high scores to the previous games, but it's just one review.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this overreaction to NeoRaider's post is absolutely ridiculous. They never mentioned her gender as one of the reasons why you shouldn't trust her review.

Legit think some of you are just shuffling for a way to clap back at them because you have no arguments left.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know right? I mean, some of us have wives, daughters and even mothers. How dare we take into account a decades old movement involving gender inequality and adjust our behavior accordingly.

What does that have to do with jumping all over somebody for something that innocuous? There was nothing in his comments that your or my wives, daughters, or even mothers would need defending from. It goes too far, almost every single time. And if my wife, daughter, or mother rated AOD above anything I'd have the same conversation with them because it would mean they'd lost their mind.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

83c07b641a4a8da51d22e9a20724eb3e.jpg
Good argument there mate.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if New Game Plus can be played on a harder difficulty than the difficulty that you completed the game on?

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
This is one of the most toxic review threads I've ever experienced as a 42 year old man...
Shit. .. I said man... I said MAN everybody!!!!

Oh my god I think I'm going to die a horrible death for calling myself male..perhaps I'm ageist too for mentioning my age!!

NEORAIDER SAVE ME!!!

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
What does that have to do with jumping all over somebody for something that innocuous? There was nothing in his comments that your or my wives, daughters, or even mothers would need defending from. It goes too far, almost every single time. And if my wife, daughter, or mother rated AOD above anything I'd have the same conversation with them because it would mean they'd lost their mind.

Exhibit A.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The visuals are amazing, best looking third person shooter on the market.
U4 /Lost legacy and assasin creed origins(and horizon If we consider it shooter) look better to me but it is a pretty game .much better than initial showing . They really need to work on animation especially the npc.

Last edited:

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I disagree with that assessment regardless of who it comes from, because I suffered through that game and would rather walk the pits of hell barefoot than do it again. I think it's okay to think something is terrible. Looking around here, everybody does, except now, because it's an opportunity to jump on somebody.

But like I said, I'll be playing the game in 30 minutes and then I'll be able to make my statement that holds the same weight as anybody else's. I'm not interested in getting into this nonsense aside from to say what I said, that making a target of well-meaning folks is a stupid game with stupid prizes.

Last edited:

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh wow, this thread went places. Not sure if I'd rate it a 7.9 or an 8.1...

The scores are so different.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Holy fuck, I legit can't believe that people attack to someone who called a female reviewer "woman", even after saying that his first language is not English and being sexist was never his intention, for fucking multiple times!

This is too much man, this is too much!

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just happened to be a woman. And i can't believe that i have to explain myself here about this.

I repeat for 10th time. I don't have a problem with this person. I have a problem with her review, with her score and with her statements that Season Pass will fix her problems and how she rated other TR games. I would do exactly the same thing if it was a man. It doesn't change a single thing and it never even crossed my mind. Wow.

I agree 100% with you Neo. Can't read the review since you have to register for the site to do so which im not going to do but did she really say that the "season pass will fix the problems she had with SOTTR"? Because if so, I would disregard her review or anyone's for that matter simply because how in the world is a season pass going to fix the problems she had in the base game? Especially when the season pass content is already on the game disc and just needs to be unlocked?

Since I can't read the review, what exactly were her problems with the game? I do find it weird that 9 out of 11 games, she gave an 8 or higher with Angel being the lowest with a 6 and now, it's shadow with a 4. The vast majority have given the game 7 or higher and since she seems to be a huge Tomb Raider fan, how does Shadow warrant a 4?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
There is so much meta commentary between fans in this thread that it has lost sight of its original purpose as a review thread. Please get back on topic and discuss review scores. Thank you.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally satisfied with the reviews. An 8 on Opencritic is still a very solid title. Many are saying it's the best in the series, and that should be the main takeaway here. Even if it's scoring lower than it's predecessors, you're getting a better game that's moving the series in the right direction.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree that game reviews are pretty busted. You have a mixture of star system, out of 10, or out of 100. Some outlets see 5/10 as average... But most don't.

With films for example there's a widely used 4/5 star system. It's easier to gauge what a score actually represents.

But reviews are rarely "fair". They are generally subjective. But I don't really mind, I quite like scored reviews. I have more issue with, say, the Rotten Tomatoes system where a thoroughly average film can wind up with a very high fresh score. That to me doesn't do a good job of representing the quality of a film.

I also think it's kind of amusing that you don't think that a games average review score should be compared to other game reviews because it's not fair... But also insist that 80 is a great score. Reviews are intended to rank things relative to other things in the same field (ie; games). You're saying that 80 is great relative to what exactly? What an 80 represents in other fields? Ehhh

You can go with the approach that reviews aren't intended to rank things, and should really just be used to get a baseline on whether something is recommended or not. That's a valid approach, and many are moving away from handing out scores. But if that's the way you see it... Review scores shouldn't hold any weight with you at all. So the natural reaction would be 80 = generally positive reception. Not 80 = great scores!

All I'm really trying to say is that I think it's inaccurate to say this game has had a "great" critical reception, and some people are overselling it. For the record, I think that ultimately this game will be viewed as quite a bit better than the last 2 entries. But that doesn't mean it received great reviews.

80 is great when you look at the whole 0 to 100 scale. 5 or 50 should be average but again the whole system is fucked because of how it has been handled by both professionals and gamers. You're right that review scores don't hold any weight in my purchasing decisions. I'm no more concerned about my purchase of TR than I would be of any other game that has a higher score. I think it's crazy that an average score of 87 is considered amazing while an average score of 83 is merely just good. It highlights how flawed that system, and resulting thought process is.

Also I never said averages shouldn't be compared because it's not fair. I don't agree with them being compared because it's a pointless comparison due to varying factors. It doesn't draw an accurate conclusion and lacks proper context. Why bother comparing anything like that outside of measuring dicks?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
This game is looking good...

Don't fail me now Eidos and co.!

Seems like a synthesis of Rise and 2013 while supplying a somber response to its series-wide narrative dissonances... the angle at which Lara is viewed here will be interesting to judge, at least. If it's backed by the ripe action gameplay we've come to know then this could be a meaty SP time.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Reviews are about what I expected. I am still excited to get it.

CastorKrieg

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
John/Dark1x said the average FPS in Performance mode on Pro is 51-52. I've seen the video, and it drops down to 41-42 sometimes, and goes up to 60 sometimes. Based on what I've seen, and how much the image quality is improved in the 1080p mode compared to Rise, I think I'll play the game exclusively in performance mode on Pro. With Rise, I used to switch between 4K mode when exploring, to performance mode when fighting (I found input lag to be pretty crippling in 30FPS modes in Rise, and from the sounds of it, Shadow is no different).
I played all of Rise in Performance Mode but since I have a 4k TV I am thinking this time of giving it a try in Resolution Mode, 30FPS be damned.

Just pre-ordered for Friday delivery - both me and my wife are huge fans of Lara Croft (we actually named our daughter after her, something that people picked up immediately in hospital lol), and we both love the new series - for me it is better than Uncharted except Lost Legacy.

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
Someone mentioned above that half the tombs will be in DLC. Can anyone confirm how many come with the base game and how many in DLC?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
That telegraph review seems savage. Can't read it though because I don't have nor want an account. And except for GameSpot, those are the only outliers.

Can't wait to play it. Thinking of getting a proper HDR TV because I don't want to miss out HDR games anymore; my TV unfortunately don't have a 10bit panel and has no local dimming...

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Couldn't find OT, so I figured I'd ask here. Are there any kind of extra modes this time around? Like Expedition or Endurance mode from Rise, or maybe NG+? Just curious.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I like Angel of Darkness and y'all can @ me. Is it good? No. Is it surprisingly imaginative and creative at a time when the series needed it? Yes. Who crippled it? Not Core. It was Eidos. And it was distinctly different than other AAA games on the market at the time.

Mind you, it's not good and I don't want to play it today. Mostly because the beginning SUX so FUXing much. But I won't stand for this!