• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen quite a divisive game in a while. It seems that it is still pretty good, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ab
blinking_sword_in_the_stone.gif

I guess is a 8/10 when you combine all the scores
Not bad at all!

Dec 6, 2017
US
Here's my review guys:

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/09/video-game-review-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider/

Overall I really enjoyed it. It doesn't do much to innovate the series and most of the darker and more provocative ideas are just kinda window dressing in the end. But the pacing is amazing, there's a much better focus on platforming/exploration over combat (which is super minimal) and the hub-worlds are really fantastic.

Also I played this with HDR enabled and it was absolutely gorgeous. A solid 8/10 from me.

If you have any questions feel free to fire them my way :)

Here's our review. It's in PT-BR.

I absolutely loved the game. The focus on exploration on a huge game like this did wonders for it. It's by far the best in the trilogy.

Oh wow, seriously? Will read you guys' reviews right now to see if my questions are answered.

Is this actually somewhat close to an OG Tomb Raider title again...?

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform war conspiracy theories.
Sony must have paid off some of these sites to make sure it doesn't score higher than Spiderman

I should have put /s after that because I didn't think anyone would actually take that seriously but oh well

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Weirdly Polygon says 'the body count is higher than any other entry'.

Maybe all stealthed? I dunno.

ouch..well gonna have to read both reviews and see where's the difference. I'll rather have less goons to kill, stealth or not stealth. They go overboard with it IMO with the prequels.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Now I'm not so sure about getting this just yet. I was so convinced it would be just as good as the other two.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a bloated, frustrating, irrational experience that feels like parts of three different games haphazardly stacked together. It's the kind of game that has you yelling angrily at the screen when the next inexplicable decision comes along happens. By the time the game was literally comparing Lara Croft to Jesus Christ, the shark had fully been jumped.
Wow

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Quick read so might be missing something.

- The reviewer feels Shadow feels too similar to previous two game.
- The reviewer criticize the stealth system and enemy AI.
- Cqc combat is bad but mid range encounter is good.
- The setting, level design, puzzle and tomb are praised.
- Platforming still feel floaty and inconsistent.
- The reviewer doesn't like Lara in Shadow.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Not much hype going into this one, it should be a nice round out to the reboot trilogy. Hope they fixed the underwater look, was not a fan of the anti gravity look it had.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The Gamespot review got me worried. If platforming isn't tight and precise then that's a huge issue. Especially for a modern game. Combat actually I don't care as much.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a bloated, frustrating, irrational experience that feels like parts of three different games haphazardly stacked together. It's the kind of game that has you yelling angrily at the screen when the next inexplicable decision comes along happens. By the time the game was literally comparing Lara Croft to Jesus Christ, the shark had fully been jumped.

This can't actually be real.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it has more challenging areas and puzzles to solve, which is a great thing to hear.

Too many games coming out at the minute though that I am hyped for, but will certainly be asking for this for Christmas, and then I will play the hell out of it over the festive period.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be 88+, guys. Game is bound to be better than the last TR games which were both very strong. 88+ is guaranteed.
Methinks that will be the outlier. Reading it now. Not sure I'll agree with their opinion, but we'll see
Guaranteed, you say...?

There's more than one of these low scores, my man.

It's guaranteed to outperform the last two TR games. Will be massive.
Guaranteed, you say...?

I doubt that. It also depends on what you mean by "huge".

- Tomb Raider sold 11m copies across like 7 platforms and 2 generations.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider sold almost 7m copies across 5 platforms in 2 years.

Square Enix reported that they were unhappy with these sales, if I am remembering correctly. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is only out on 3 platforms, and seemingly has less hype behind it than either of the 2 games.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
How could someone possibly give it a 4/10? I don't understand. I refuse to believe it can be that bad, especially when IGN gives it a 9. Something is odd here.