• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
TR is my favourite franchise ever. If it has TR in the title, it interests me.
Classic Tomb Raider sure. Everything you described, everything that is a modern Tomb Raider game, you hate. Just saying.

That's a sadly ironic statement

Sad dude that you think you're telling the guy with a tr avvy that tr isn't for him haha so ridiculous
Come on now buddy, engage your brain before responding. I'm talking about modern Tomb Raider. The whole thread is about modern Tomb Raider. If you want to talk about avatars, it's a classic Lara Croft image. So they're a fan of the old games. Something this current incarnation is not and never will be.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Classic Tomb Raider sure. Everything you described, everything that is a modern Tomb Raider game, you hate. Just saying.

Come on now buddy, engage your brain before responding. I'm talking about modern Tomb Raider. The whole thread is about modern Tomb Raider. If you want to talk about avatars, it's a classic Lara Croft image. So they're a fan of the old games. Something this current incarnation is not and never will be.
I know but let's be more respectful to series fans

It isn't now doesn't mean the series doesn't change in the future like it did to change into what it is currently

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right. Nothing I said was disrespectful but sure, okay.

Tomb Raider will never ever be like old classic Tomb Raider. That type of game is dead. Especially that type female representation.

Except for the ridiculous bobbies, Lara's personality in the old games was much better than today's Lara "Daddy issues" Croft.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
The games never focused on her in a sexual way (Tomb Raider 2 ending aside, and even then that scene in question is extremely tongue in cheek) it was the marketing outside of the games that unfortunately went that way.

As a long time fan of the series I really do miss the way Lara was portrayed in the classic series because the modern version of the character is far too miserable. That and I miss the puzzles, exploration and traversal of the older games.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Old sassy Lara still lives concurrently in the Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris games. Interesting how the two exist alongside each other, though it's the iconic look that is leveraged for greater mass appeal in the smaller titles and mobile games. New Lara is a fine enough hero, maybe a touch too bland for longevity. Perhaps Shadow will improve that.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
reward.png

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it's gonna reveal Nathan Drake holding 2 climbing gears in a dark rain forest, totally not generic in any way.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
This ended up being so lukewarm. Dont create hype if you have nothing to show. Do never do this again.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
This ended up being so lukewarm. Dont create hype if you have nothing to show. Do never do this again.

Sadly, more and more publishers are doing this. Some are even announcing games with CGI trailers/teaser two years before the actual release.
Thank god this game will be released in less than 6 months so that's a plus i guess.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
No, right thread. Those 2 tools on the right look like they are the climbing gear from the previous 2 games as seen here:

It's set in a dark rain forest, so going by the Lara we saw in the trailer, she'll most likely be wearing yet more ugly generic brown and grey combat fatigues.
You will notice the game is a direct sequel to Rise, and I will bet you it probably doesn't take place much longer after the events of Rise. It's normal for things to carry over and look the same for a better sense of continuity.

Now, after this 'origins' trilogy is complete with the release of Shadow, I will expect major changes as far as Lara's appearance and tools go.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
First details about the game leaked:

"In Tomb Raider, Lara begins as a young and inexperienced woman who is forged like a survivor. In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara embarks on her first expedition and discovers an ancient prophecy while discovering her destiny. Now, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the epic finale of Lara's origin story. Driven by her obsession to stop the Trinity, she will face an choice that will define her for life and turn her into the Tomb Raider that she must be."

Lara mimics the jungle:

- New ways to fight
- Behaving like a predator
- Using the foliage and the environment to hide
- Take advantage of your enemies by attacking from the heights

It's vague description from the Spanish shop and it could be fake.
Sounds like horizon

Oct 26, 2017
Piece of the poster or cover art for the game. Full thing will be revealed in next few weeks.

Ah I see. Looked like it could have been from a comic at first. This is one of those cases where in wouldn't mind a small leak on. Just a few bits of information about the new stuff we can expect and if we can expect some great puzzles too. I love Rise but the puzzles just were too easy. Bring me challenge.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except for the ridiculous bobbies, Lara's personality in the old games was much better than today's Lara "Daddy issues" Croft.
Agree with this. I think most of the modern Lara fans are so defensive about that. Everythink you praise about the old Lara they say 'boobs' this, 'boobs' that, etc...
The old Lara have so much strong personality and still the focus are the 'boobs'.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
There will be stealth. You can hide in the tall grass just like in Uncharted 4.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
It's crazy this is coming in 2018, it just reminds me how fast time flows, I still haven't picked up RoTR after the delay.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, that would be a sequel with basically zero meaningful new selling points.

On the other hand, Eidos Montreal just did that and managed to kill Deus Ex in the process, so it doesn't seem unbelievable.
I mean, SoTTR looked like the last TR game for quite some time now, after SE's deal with Marvel. Considering that they are kinda rushing this one out (2-3 years of dev time isn't a lot these days) it starts to look like a quick and cheap sequel for those fans left before moving the studio to some attractive Avengers movie tie-in. Hopefully I'm wrong and this isn't the plan.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, SoTTR looked like the last TR game for quite some time now, after SE's deal with Marvel. Considering that they are kinda rushing this one out (2-3 years of dev time isn't a lot these days) it starts to look like a quick and cheap sequel for those fans left before moving the studio to some attractive Avengers movie tie-in. Hopefully I'm wrong and this isn't the plan.
ROTTR came out 2 and a half years after TR2013, this will be a full 3.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, that would be a sequel with basically zero meaningful new selling points.

On the other hand, Eidos Montreal just did that and managed to kill Deus Ex in the process, so it doesn't seem unbelievable.
I don't think they 'killed' anything. Deus Ex is certainly not dead. I bet we will see a sequel before 2025.

It was Square Enix that really screwed up Mankind Divided with poor planning and marketing.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The TR reboots are just okay in my book. Bring back more difficult tombs, More levels, and much more to Lara. Lara always killed people but she isn't Rambo or anything and I'd like to see them do away with that bit for the next game after shadow. Please.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The reboot was announced in 2010. We're seven years into this new era, and people won't let go of their "Sexy Lara" ideals. I mean, eventually you have to move on...

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I loved experiencing the determining moment as Lara became the Tomb Raider in Tomb Raider, and the deciding moment as she became the Tomb Raider in Rise of the Tomb Raider, so I'm certainly looking forward to experiencing the defining moment as she becomes the Tomb Raider in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

With every new game a boy arrives from the Tomb Raider marketing team to assure me and Vladimir that Lara Croft's Tomb Raiding Moment™ is surely coming in the next game. Then we stand in the darkness, despondent. At one point, my pants fall down, or maybe that was Vladimir. I can't remember.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
What's up with the shit names for these new Tomb Raider games. Rise of The Tomb Raider, Shadow of The Tomb Raider...

'The Tomb Raider' rises, and casts an ominous shadow...

Is this new series building up to Lara Croft gaining evil superpowers and taking over the world, or what?

This has been bugging me for a while.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I just reserved this at Gamestop for my X. I was shocked to see they had SKU's up for PS4. If one of those companies has any meaningful exclusivity in terms of content, I'll grab that version.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First look at Shadow Lara and what might be boxart for the game:

29662689_1871938902839954_7529374914431121367_o.jpg

I love it!
Terrible in every way imaginable.

The lighting doesn't even make sense, the sun's soft glow appears too sharp on Lara.
Reboot Lara is ugly and masculine.
Melee weapons.
Still with the bow.
Trousers.
WHERE THE FUCK IS THE COLOUR?? It's still the same shitey-ass green/brown/grey.

Basically it's everything but Lara Croft we're seeing here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
What I want to hear at 27th April/E3:
  • Light heart tone
  • No dark rain forests, more caves and pyramids
  • Dual pistols
  • Driveable vehicles
  • No bow, no stealth, no bushes
  • Mandatory tombs with actual brain-scratching puzzles
  • Timed platforming with traps
  • Lara in shorts and looks sexy
  • No Camilla

What will actually happen:
  • Darker, more mature
  • More dark rain forests
  • Same bow and arrow
  • Vehicles are burned and destroyed
  • Bow, forced stealth, hiding in bushes
  • "Optional" tombs with a singular 1-stage puzzle
  • Magnetic-jump mechanics, taking away all challenge
  • Nathan Drake clone
  • Camilla
:(

I like you.

Allow me to join you in looking unhappy at our assured fate.

:(

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

The lighting doesn't even make sense, the sun's soft glow appears too sharp on Lara.
Melee weapons.
Still with the bow.
Trousers.

lol

HQ Wallpapers can be downloaded here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tombraiderofficialflickr/sets/72157667253685608

Last edited:

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
That looks great! I somewhat enjoyed the previous entries, but I wouldn't mind some better writing this time around. If you want to be a serious game with dark themes and a focus on story, you have to do better than they did in the first two games in that regard.

Also lol at "ugly and masculine". Lara still looks like a supermodel, it's just that she is no longer walking trough jungles like a stripper and has realisticly proportioned breasts. The horror!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Melee weapons.
Still with the bow.
Trousers.

Just...stop please. I want to slam my head against a wall every time you post in here.

There's nothing wrong with that poster.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017

Melee weapons.
Still with the bow.
Trousers.

What's wrong with trousers man?